Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad Cellular

Options
  • 18-01-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm working from home, with patchy wifi that only works on ground level

Considering getting iPad with cellular?

Will iPad with cellular work? will it be expensive?

The only offering Vodafone have is pay as you go €20 for 20mb or bill for Vodafone mobile tower at 40 for 300mb (mb i think) I think i have to plug the tower in. it takes 4g and makes it a wifi signal for any device that connects.

Any know more or have experience? my phone provider is already Vodafone
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LiberBliss

I am using iPad mini 5 Cellular with a Sim from 48. It is simply great as I get monthly 100 GB for use and at the lowest price less than 8Euros a month. The reception is okay at my residential place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FunnySmart

sounds fantastic, never heard of 48 before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

FunnySmart wrote: »
    I'm working from home, with patchy wifi that only works on ground level

Considering getting iPad with cellular?

Will iPad with cellular work? will it be expensive?

The only offering Vodafone have is pay as you go €20 for 20mb or bill for Vodafone mobile tower at 40 for 300mb (mb i think) I think i have to plug the tower in. it takes 4g and makes it a wifi signal for any device that connects.

Any know more or have experience? my phone provider is already Vodafone

What type of broadband service are you paying for - dsl, fibre etc
    how good is your wifi when sitting next to the router? Is it sufficient?
    Can you plug in a networked laptop directly into the router and see what speeds you get?
    Sounds like you have a network/wifi issue and buying a high end iPad + a mobile data contract is a very expensive way of dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Look to fixing your fixed line broadband first before shelling out for a new iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If your issue is wifi range or reliability, look into getting a WiFi mesh system. Loads of info on this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072654

I have a 500mb Vodafone fibre connection, but was really struggling with unreliable wifi since we were all working and schooling from home. The mesh system completely sorted out all my issues across all devices, and has been rock solid since. Probably the best thing I bought last year.

A cellular iPad not only costs more to buy, but lands you with a monthly/regular cost and you're still at the mercy of reception issues, only now they're totally out of your control. Cellular tablets certainly have their place, but I don't think as an alternative to poor wifi is one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement