Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Unusual Patents

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do not get me started on patents. Too many speculative patents.

Once upon a time you had to prove you could do the thing in the patent. And patents were supposed to grant the inventor a temporary monopoly on condition they provided the details that would allow others to reproduce the invention.

Both rules are long dead.

British Rail got a patent in 1970 for a Nuclear Powered Flying Saucers.
    A classic example of a patent that only existed to prevent anyone who actually invented a similar device using it.

Prior art checks ?
    In 2001 John Keogh got an innovation patent for a circular transportation facilitation device
    you may know it better as the wheel.

IIRC Fire and thinking have also successfully been patented.

IMHO Unless a patent represents a sizeable step in human knowledge AND allows everyone to replicate it when the patent expires then it only exists to block real innovation.

So until the technology is demonstrated I view patents as a way to stifle work in that area. Look at 3D printers. They didn't come out of nowhere. What happened is that many of the original patents expired in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks for those examples!

It does look like pure speculation alright.
    Apparently it was granted in order to block the Chinese from using it in the military.
    If that was really the case they would be better keeping it all secret.

Maybe its a new military tactic to put the Chinese on the wrong course with their research!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe its a new military tactic to put the Chinese on the wrong course with their research!
    Nah

The really secret stuff stays secret.

IBM used to patent everything so that you couldn't replicate their designs. Because there was too much stuff to check through.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

I once heard of an invention were tiny spiral holes were either drilled or molded into a long thick bit of plastic, then water at one end was pressurized through the tiny holes producing enough electricity to not only power the pumps that pressurized the water, and a return pump, but more besides.

I’m not sure if it was fake, or were it went or what happened to the idea, but it looked pretty good.

Never seen it since. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

That almost sounds like cold fusion from the 80s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 TheSpooner

I've got a good weird patent for you. This is a patent for a transceiver that doesn't use radio waves and can go straight through shielding. What's more, this particular patent was argued about in Court over a 5 year period and is used in case law as an example of a valid patent, that was initially denied, because the claims seem like pseudo-science.

US5845220 (A) ― 1998-12-01: Communication method and apparatus with signals comprising scalar and vector potentials without electromagnetic fields
    https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=5845220A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19981201&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP#

Advertisement