Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Robot Vacuum Cleaner €179.99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's just based on random movements and doesn't have any memory of what it's done. The reasoning being if it's at it long enough, it will eventually cover all areas. From my experience, I'd have to say that appears to ring true.

Assuming the aldi one is the same as the Roomba, then its not based on random movements. If it was, how would it know how to find its charging base when finished? For that matter, how would it know it was finished?

Likewise, with my roomba, if it couldn't finish the floor in one go, it would return to charge, and then go back to where it had gotten to and continue on.

It doesn't hoover the floor the way a human does, but it does map out the floor and cover all the floor space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

syklops wrote: »
    Assuming the aldi one is the same as the Roomba, then its not based on random movements. If it was, how would it know how to find its charging base when finished? For that matter, how would it know it was finished?

Likewise, with my roomba, if it couldn't finish the floor in one go, it would return to charge, and then go back to where it had gotten to and continue on.

It doesn't hoover the floor the way a human does, but it does map out the floor and cover all the floor space.

I thought there might be some radio signal thingie to call it back to the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

frash wrote: »
    Out of interest (given that there's probably no stock left) does anyone know if it has a memory of where it's done or is there a chance it will just keep doing the same area of a room & not actually do the whole room or even go into the next room.

Appears random to me, however, on the actual product page from Ariete here it seems to claim on the video that it covers the whole room - watch the video at the bottom of the page from around 1:19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

syklops wrote: »

Yeah I don't think it is the same as the Roomba in that respect. I assume it relies on various algorithms that ensure it's as successful as possible. Like it definitely works out when it's at an edge of something and goes seems to go into perimeter mode and things like that. I could be wrong because I did see the same thing as deadl0ck on the website but it doesn't seem that way to me.
    frash wrote: »
    I thought there might be some radio signal thingie to call it back to the base?

Yeah, that's exactly how it works, there's an IR transmitter on the base and receiver on the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Just picked one up in Rathfarnham Aldi (beside Nutgrove) and they appear to have more stock - they keep them in the store room so you need to ask for it.

I gave it a quick go and it seems the business - it's charging now as it recommends a 12 hour charge before first use so as not to damage the battery in the instruction booklet.

A man beside me in the queue said he got one yesterday for his daughter and she loves it so far. I confirmed they will take it back within 60 days no questions asked if you are unhappy and it's in the packaging etc.

So far so good it seems. It's only going to pick up small bits of dirt but if you have kids or pets there will be plenty of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 majoliroja

my docking station is in the hall and the manual does say that the robot must be in the same room as the docking station but I just put my robot in the living room and asked it to go home - it moved around randomly but then found its way out of the living room door and found the docking station and successfully docked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Just picked one up in the branch on the Long Mile road in Dublin .

They were in the back but got the impression there's plenty of stock still thereif anyonelooking .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clare20

majoliroja wrote: »
    my docking station is in the hall and the manual does say that the robot must be in the same room as the docking station but I just put my robot in the living room and asked it to go home - it moved around randomly but then found its way out of the living room door and found the docking station and successfully docked

my clever robot did something similar. He found his way from the hall to the living room docking station via the kitchen. I was really proud of him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

My Roomba finds its way from the living room back to its docking station in the hall. The only problem I find is that sometimes the docking station gets moved around so it won't dock properly .....I have been threatening for ages to secure the docking station with something like blue tack.....must do it now!

Isn't it a great invention? I know someone with breathing problems who had a lot of trouble hoovering - got a robot, problem solved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Got 2 of these little guys the day, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. They just go around the house as they please picking up dirt and mostly dog hair. One of them just past by my feet there now! Only thing about them is they seem to get a bit stuck on the mat. Seems to be great little things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Dear God have pet owners thought ahead?
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

bogman wrote: »
    Poor light conditions, tiled floor, short clip, great bloody job

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm says video is "private" ?

My apologies, sorted the privacy issue

Let Manuel do its thing again last night, checked to see how it had performed later on, had done its work and returned to the docking station to recharge, brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Dear God have pet owners thought ahead?
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

House Training my friend, house training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sandyford branch also have these but once again you have to ask as they are keeping them in the back.

Worth checking the box before you leave as well. The one I was first given had obviously been returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

vienne86 wrote: »
    My Roomba finds its way from the living room back to its docking station in the hall. The only problem I find is that sometimes the docking station gets moved around so it won't dock properly .....I have been threatening for ages to secure the docking station with something like blue tack.....must do it now!

Isn't it a great invention? I know someone with breathing problems who had a lot of trouble hoovering - got a robot, problem solved!

How do you get it to return to the docking station? Mine just stops wherever it's at when it's done.

press the picture of the home button on the remote control - the hoover then flashes orange and looks for the docking station

You can make this robot hoover do many things with the remote control
    You can turbo boost where the hoover makes a circular motion at a higher suction rate
    You can press the perimeter button to do a clean of the edges of the room and you can press the arrow buttons to move it forwards etc at any point
    My house has never looked so clean and all with the press of a button !!

press the picture of the home button on the remote control - the hoover then flashes orange and looks for the docking station

Ah, I dont have a remote control - perhaps thats why its not doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ah, I dont have a remote control - perhaps thats why its not doing it!

So have you a roomba or the Alid robotic vacuum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Wow I want one of these badly for the gimmick value and purely to see if my cat would sit on it.

I'd don't know if I could justify the price though!

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So have you a roomba or the Alid robotic vacuum ?

Roomba - I asked a user who said their Roomba returned to the docking station how it was doing so but then a different user responded saying to press the Home button on the remote control - but they must have been talking about the Aldi robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

C'mon ladies & gents, is it really that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

mad m wrote: »
    C'mon ladies & gents, is it really that good?

I'd well believe they are as good as people are saying.

Were talking about hoovering daily dust from wooden/tiled floors.

It really doesn't take much to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sillymoo wrote: »
    Wow I want one of these badly for the gimmick value and purely to see if my cat would sit on it.

I'd don't know if I could justify the price though!

Wait 5 or 6 months and I'll sure you'll be seeing robot vacumns for €100-150, the prices of them are falling all the time but they haven't reached rock bottom just yet.

Sorry guys yes I was talking about aldis robotic hoover - does that mean that Roomba is not as good as the aldi version then ??
    I thought Roomba were the best - I chose aldi because of the great price and 60 day money back and 3 year guarantee

Roomba - I asked a user who said their Roomba returned to the docking station how it was doing so but then a different user responded saying to press the Home button on the remote control - but they must have been talking about the Aldi robot.

You asked me, actually. I don't know what I do that you don't do - it just returns of its own accord!

Sorry guys yes I was talking about aldis robotic hoover - does that mean that Roomba is not as good as the aldi version then ??
    I thought Roomba were the best - I chose aldi because of the great price and 60 day money back and 3 year guarantee

There is one hell of a difference in the price!

vienne86 wrote: »
    You asked me, actually. I don't know what I do that you don't do - it just returns of its own accord!

Thanks, I must read the booklet! Maybe there's some button I need to press on it. All I ever do is switch it on and it stops when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

My only concern on this would be the battery.

From past experience with items from Aldi & Lidl the battery is the first thing to fail and is never covered under their warranty.

I'd suspect with this it would end up where the hoover is just constantly returning to its base without finishing any of the rooms.

Even the Roomba only comes with a 6month battery warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Beadyeye

pippip wrote: »
    My only concern on this would be the battery.

From past experience with items from Aldi & Lidl the battery is the first thing to fail and is never covered under their warranty.

I'd suspect with this it would end up where the hoover is just constantly returning to its base without finishing any of the rooms.
    Even the Roomba only comes with a 6month battery warranty.

That is a concern alright, how much and how difficult would a replacement battery be?

Also is it possible that the hepa filter and brushes are replaceable with iRoomba parts?

Advertisement