Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX AMD 6950 2GB €266

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Pretty saucy card for that price

Benchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

That's a good deal, especially considering the speed of the card.

Also, you might want to ask a mod to change the model number of the card in the thread title to 6950. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

hugorudd wrote: »

Is it delivered in 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hugorudd

I'm three years ahead of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Changed thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I already have a 4870 that is still doing me fine but this is pretty damn tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

This is so tempting especially since its very easy to turn this baby into a 6970!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ordered mine last night , expected Delivery date is Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    This is so tempting especially since its very easy to turn this baby into a 6970!! :eek:
    greenfly wrote: »
    Pretty saucy card for that price

Benchmark

If you look at the benchmark, your better off with the 6950 than the 6970

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

greenfly wrote: »
    If you look at the benchmark, your better off with the 6950 than the 6970

I notice that too and found it very strange. All the other reviews put the 6970 ahead of the 6950. Example. Plus they are apparently the same card but the 6950 is just downgraded by the firmware. (correct me if im wrong)

It seems the MSI version on Komplett is now only €255. Only 6 left. Don't know what to do. Should I replace my GTX 280 or wait till the next generation cards :pac:

Edit: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - This seems to say it might be time for me to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Mine worked out at 284 euro delivered from Scan.co.uk

The price is falling beautifully, but there is speculation that the 6950 will experience restriction in supply. I ordered mine today for €255. Awesome. I'm preparing to smash through my 5.9 windows experience rating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The price is falling beautifully, but there is speculation that the 6950 will experience restriction in supply. I ordered mine today for €255. Awesome. I'm preparing to smash through my 5.9 windows experience rating :)

Probably not. Probably your hard drive will drag it down still!!

I'd love to see what metrics they use for HDD speed, and how they can work out that the experience is damaged so badly by a technology they endorse and a file system they wrote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Because while they endorse it, it simply isn't up to par with the throughput of most SSDs or 10k RPM drives

Anybody who knows about benchmarks will tell you the Windows benchmark isn't work a wank

Well aware it's a bull**** metric, but a metric's a metric. It will go alongside my Furmark, 3DMark 11, Everest, SuperPi etc. It's just to make gob****es like me feel slightly better about the fact they could have bought the car or gone on holiday instead of updating the computer to play Second Life and Call of Duty :)

6950 from Komplett.ie installed and playing COD:BLOPS very beautifully.

I've put a youtube vid up about the noise it makes, you can see this on http://nabidana.com

6950 from Komplett.ie installed and playing COD:BLOPS very beautifully.

I've put a youtube vid up about the noise it makes, you can see this on http://nabidana.com

Is that a video you made yourself? I'm asking as the PC case looks very familiar; could it be an Antec Performance One P160...?

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Is that a video you made yourself? I'm asking as the PC case looks very familiar; could it be an Antec Performance One P160...?

Damn straight it is, and with the optional perspex side panel. back in the day I was even geekier than today. It's still an awesome case.

Damn straight it is, and with the optional perspex side panel. back in the day I was even geekier than today. It's still an awesome case.

haha I knew it! I still use that case... with the optional perspex side panel. ;) I've reused that case in several builds over the years too. A part of me wishes there was some sort of cable managements built-in, like a lot of the current cases available today, but, then again, it did come out back in 2004.

Anyway, that 6950 sounds like a wind machine on full blast! How fast do the fans get when they're on automatic during gameplay? 50%, 60%?

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Anyway, that 6950 sounds like a wind machine on full blast! How fast do the fans get when they're on automatic during gameplay? 50%, 60%?

No more than about 35%. I haven't really heard it kick in! I just wanted to test it, and it's a pretty awesome noise.

No more than about 35%. I haven't really heard it kick in! I just wanted to test it, and it's a pretty awesome noise.

That's pretty much the same way my MSI 5770 Hawk acts; around 35% max. I thought the 6950 might have had a higher max fan speed, but it's good to know that it's low so you can at least enjoy gaming in peace.

It doesn't sound bad at all. I had a 4870 (Which might become for sale, but -mods- this is not an announcement or attempt to sell) and it was pretty noisy on occasion. But this card is generally pretty silent.

Loving ARMA II and Call of Duty on this. VERY sweet.

Advertisement