Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning about Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency

• 19-01-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I literally know next to nothing about bitcoin and cryptocurrencies but Im just curious to gain more knowledge about it.

Is there any good reading,youtube, podcast material that anyone would recommend as a good starting point? From complete basics and progress with more indepth info as you learn?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Check out The Investors podcast series by Preston Pysh on Youtube - it's excellent and covers a lot of the questions people have on how Bitcoin works and the benefits it has, the reasons why there is a need for it etc.

I've linked to the first one for you below. A really good resource.

In terms of the fundamentals of Bitcoin and how it came about, why we need it, the positives and negatives, the best resource I've had was Safedean Ammous' book the Bitcoin standard.

The Bitcoin Standard

That's the book that really sold me on the fundamentals of Bitcoin and convinced me to invest.

I think that's a good start anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Andreas explaining what Bitcoin was built for to a bunch of aged but understanding luddites is still a great explanation of what blockchain is important for. He's got two deep dive books you can read for free:
    Mastering Bitcoin can be read here (second half becomes technical, can be ignored if you're just trying to grasp the idea).
    Mastering Ethereum can be read here (last 2/3s are technical, first third will get you up to speed fine unless you want to get into blockchain development).

You can also get a great idea of what the whole blockchain space is aiming towards now that it's not just about money in this video from the man who wrote Solidity, co-founded Ethereum, architected the Ethereum VM and now spearheads Polkadot:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

In terms of the fundamentals of Bitcoin and how it came about, why we need it, the positives and negatives, the best resource I've had was Safedean Ammous' book the Bitcoin standard.

That's the book that really sold me on the fundamentals of Bitcoin and convinced me to invest.

I think that's a good start anyway :)

It's a great book alright, albeit a bit of a polemic, but a super explanation of the history of money and how we got to BTC.

But the guy is a lunatic - I follow him on Twitter and his rants about Covid are irrational. He blames 'fiat diets' for people suffering/dying from Covid, is against mask wearing, and thinks it's all just an overreation. He's an extreme libertarian and basically hates any government intervention in our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pdoghue wrote: »
    But the guy is a lunatic - I follow him on Twitter and his rants about Covid are irrational. He blames 'fiat diets' for people suffering/dying from Covid, is against mask wearing, and thinks it's all just an overreation. He's an extreme libertarian and basically hates any government intervention in our lives.
    Tons of them are like that, Erik Voorhees had a tweet yesterday saying minimum wages are immoral and that's just the market value of low wage workers being found. Pretty scummy and myopic but extreme libertarians seem to love the taste of Kool Aid.

Advertisement