Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repressurise system

Options
  • 18-01-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Attached some images below. Could anyone tell me how I fix the pressure here. It has gone to zero in my hot press. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Attached some images below. Could anyone tell me how I fix the pressure here. It has gone to zero in my hot press. Thanks for any advice!

First off, ignore thermostat on hot water cylinder, it has nothing to do with the water pressure.
    On the pipe work, ensure that the two red valves in the picture are fully open (anticlockwise).
    Now go to the valve with the gauge and rotate the small knob on the underside to open (anticlockwise).
    Allow to fill up to approx 1.25 bar and shut all valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

K.Flyer wrote: »
    First off, ignore thermostat on hot water cylinder, it has nothing to do with the water pressure.
    On the pipe work, ensure that the two red valves in the picture are fully open (anticlockwise).
    Now go to the valve with the gauge and rotate the small knob on the underside to open (anticlockwise).
    Allow to fill up to approx 1.25 bar and shut all valves.

Thank you so much that is sorted now ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You should keep an eye on it, if it keeps dropping you need to find out why.

I'm back again for some more advice if someone can help.

My gauge is reading 2.2 bar now. However, when I check one of the radiators which has not been heating recently, and I try and bleed it (at the top using a flat screwdriver), only a small bit of air comes out and no water, so it seems the radiator is full of air.

I would have thought if there Is 2.2bar pressure in the system that it would allow me to push out any air and get it filled again with water.

I've been trying to get a plumber but the earliest one can come is the end of November and this could be a big problem as the cold weeks are coming.

Again, thanks for any help!

Oh and here is the picture from the original post, as it seems to have been lost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Try a few other radiators (on the same floor) and take off a couple of hundred mls from a few. The gauge should drop a little. If you can't get that much out of them you have a stuck gauge or blockage.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Have you opened that valve to the left of the gauge while doing all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Close all your radiators. Then open fully one by one starting at the one nearest your boiler. There all on one big loop so the idea is to chase or flush the air out to the last radiator.

The last radiator has the least amount of pressure because its furthest from the boiler.

Bleed them while your opening them one by one

Thanks a mil for the help. So I went around and turned off all rads on all floors. Opened up one by one and all downstairs are totally fine. No air came out of those as I bled.

on 1st floor I did the same (although is impossible to determine which one is nearest the boiler up here, is it?) but I get nothing but air from them all. No water. So perhaps that pressure gauge represents only the pressure for downstairs rads? Is that possible that they are both on different closed loops?

here is a photo of downstairs pipes beside the boiler.

Edit: adding the image again because somehow it showed upside down.

Have you opened that valve to the left of the gauge while doing all of this.

No. Should I open it when bleeding?

• Advertisement

Yes. Because of the way your system is plumbed, you'll need to keep that open all the time.

Turn on the pressure reducing valve and the other gate valve only when topping up the pressure.

Ah ok. I thought according to earlier posts both the red valves should be closed after topping up. So the left red one should be left open. Got it!

Ok so I am making some progress. I got the air fully out of 2 so far. Struggling with the next one. As I do them one by one, should I always re-shut the completed ones? (Also, by re-shut, I mean only on the radiator TRV side and not the lock shield side. Or should I shut both sides of the rad?)

No keep them open so the pressure moves to the next

And keep the heating off during all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Yes.

Advertisement