Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

switch from wood pellet to oil

• 18-01-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hey guys. i have a woodpellet heating system and its about to die, is it very complicated to switch to oil? any idea what it would cost. I have solid fuel heating besides from stove. I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. any help would be greatfully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Biker1

hey guys. i have a woodpellet heating system and its about to die, is it very complicated to switch to oil? any idea what it would cost. I have solid fuel heating besides from stove. I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. any help would be greatfully recieved.

Was in the same position last year.
    Installed a Grant condensing oil boiler myself without any difficulty. Just connect to the flow and return that are already there. If you need to upgrade controls now is the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

Biker1 wrote: »
    Was in the same position last year.
    Installed a Grant condensing oil boiler myself without any difficulty. Just connect to the flow and return that are already there. If you need to upgrade controls now is the time.

thanks @biker1 any estimate of the cost and is it a plumber I go to, seriously I am in the dark as to who does these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Sourcing an oil boiler will be the biggest issue. I would start ringing around and see what you can get. What size is the wood pellet stove

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

Sourcing an oil boiler will be the biggest issue. I would start ringing around and see what you can get. What size is the wood pellet stove

Like i'd know that, i honestly haven't a clue.::o: it heats a 2200 square foot 2 story house, if that's any clue

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Irlmully

I'm in the same boat. Wood Pellet boiler is a pain. No one knows anything about them. Impossible to source parts. Getting bulk pellets is a pain too. Long waits for delivery. I want to switch to oil. Would love if someone could give an idea of cost. I guessing it's a simple case of plumbing new boiler to the existing pipe work , and of course installing a tank.

I have a Kedco X 24 KW boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Irlmully wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Wood Pellet boiler is a pain. No one knows anything about them. Impossible to source parts. Getting bulk pellets is a pain too. Long waits for delivery. I want to switch to oil. Would love if someone could give an idea of cost. I guessing it's a simple case of plumbing new boiler to the existing pipe work , and of course installing a tank.

I have a Kedco X 24 KW boiler.

In the region of €2,500 - €3,000 I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    In the region of €2,500 - €3,000 I would think

€3,500 to €4,000 at least.

€2,500 wouldn't even cover materials,
    Boiler, flue, pump, magna filter and clock, & fittings.
    Tank, fittings, concrete base & labour.

+ It all needs commissioning, if not, you have no guarantee and insurance.

And possibly a flush of existing system !

Tom44 wrote: »
    €3,500 to €4,000 at least.

€2,500 wouldn't even cover materials,
    Boiler, flue, pump, magna filter and clock, & fittings.
    Tank, fittings, concrete base & labour.

+ It all needs commissioning, if not, you have no guarantee and insurance.

And possibly a flush of existing system !

I think your are being a little severe at that.
    A quality boiler and balanced flue kit - about €1350
    A standard oil tank about €300
    Pipe and fittings - €200
    Labour 2 days at €350 + vat per day - €794

That’s €2600 incl Vat. I would see some potential for miscellaneous additional costs - but hardly another €1,400?

Magnetic filter - Not necessarily essential, but I would agree a worthwhile addition at circa €100

Power flush - if it were necessary maybe, but I wouldn’t propose this as a standard procedure. If the pellet boiler was installed correctly it shouldn’t be necessary.

Tank base could be a sight variable - depends on site conditions.

I’m not sure where you are going with comments on warranty and insurance. Of course the system should be commissioned in accordance with the manufacturers specification and it is reasonable to expect that any reputable installer will do this. Where does the insurance come into it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I think your are being a little severe at that.
    A quality boiler and balanced flue kit - about €1350
    A standard oil tank about €300
    Pipe and fittings - €200
    Labour 2 days at €350 + vat per day - €794

That’s €2600 incl Vat. I would see some potential for miscellaneous additional costs - but hardly another €1,400?

Magnetic filter - Not necessarily essential, but I would agree a worthwhile addition at circa €100

Power flush - if it were necessary maybe, but I wouldn’t propose this as a standard procedure. If the pellet boiler was installed correctly it shouldn’t be necessary.

Tank base could be a sight variable - depends on site conditions.

I’m not sure where you are going with comments on warranty and insurance. Of course the system should be commissioned in accordance with the manufacturers specification and it is reasonable to expect that any reputable installer will do this. Where does the insurance come into it?

I wouldn't even call to quote to a person who mentioned a figure of 2600 for the items that Tom listed.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sourcing an oil boiler will be the biggest issue.

They're manufactured in Ireland and the most common burners are Italian, I don't see why there'd be much issue sourcing one?

I suspect my British gas boiler is going to be a bollox to keep going in comparison.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    I wouldn't even call to quote to a person who mentioned a figure of 2600 for the items that Tom listed.

Well the query was what would it cost to replace a wood pellet boiler with an oil fired equivalent.

I had a 30kw Bosch LPG system boiler fitted in my own house a couple of years ago. It came to €2,900 incl. VAT, but it was a new install and there was a bit of additional work.

I was involved indirectly in a tender process for local authority housing heating upgrades recently. The tenders had unit costs per line item depending on what was required to bring the installation to a particular specification.
    Some were boiler house applications, others external boilers. The average boiler replacement was €2300 incl vat, and that was for grant Vortex.
    There were a sizeable quantity of houses involved.

Well the query was what would it cost to replace a wood pellet boiler with an oil fired equivalent.

I had a 30kw Bosch LPG system boiler fitted in my own house a couple of years ago. It came to €2,900 incl. VAT, but it was a new install and there was a bit of additional work.

I was involved indirectly in a tender process for local authority housing heating upgrades recently. The tenders had unit costs per line item depending on what was required to bring the installation to a particular specification.
    Some were boiler house applications, others external boilers. The average boiler replacement was €2300 incl vat, and that was for grant Vortex.
    There were a sizeable quantity of houses involved.
    Ok, not having a go, but how much would you think it would cost to supply and mount a tank and bring oil line and remote acting fire valve to boiler?

I am only asking this, because people often have unrealistic expectations of what something should cost.

Wearb wrote: »
    Ok, not having a go, but how much would you think it would cost to supply and mount a tank and bring oil line and remote acting fire valve to boiler?

I am only asking this, because people often have unrealistic expectations of what something should cost.

And I don’t want to provide someone with any unreasonable expectations of cost either, so happy to be pulled up! I’m not in the heating profession, but am exposed to it on occasion.

I suppose installing a new tank is a variable that is going to depend greatly on the customer specific case. But to throw a guess on an average set-up;

A tank (single skin) - €300
    10mm pipe - €30
    Tank Fittings - €18
    Remote fire valve - €35
    Base materials - €75
    Tiger Loop - €50
    Labour equivalent 1 full day @ €350 + vat.

So would thinking about €900?

And I don’t want to provide someone with any unreasonable expectations of cost either, so happy to be pulled up! I’m not in the heating profession, but am exposed to it on occasion.

I suppose installing a new tank is a variable that is going to depend greatly on the customer specific case. But to throw a guess on an average set-up;

A tank (single skin) - €300
    10mm pipe - €30
    Tank Fittings - €18
    Remote fire valve - €35
    Base materials - €75
    Tiger Loop - €50
    Labour equivalent 1 full day @ €350 + vat.

So would thinking about €900?

Not a bad stab at it, but I'd be looking for a bit more for that list. You need to add a bit on to those items for time sourcing and collecting and having to stand over each item. eg Fire valve is usually more than that. Tank fittings, more (up-to-spec filter for example). Tiger loop and 2 hoses, more again. Nowadays most installers are fitting double skinned (bunded) tanks. Most want some sort of gauge on them.

Anyway thanks for going to the trouble of doing the list. People will have a more realistic idea of costs because of it.

Advertisement