Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm away with work and met up with friends for dinner in the pub last night. That was the first time I would normally have had a pint while catching up with the lads.

It was fine, great to catch up with the lads and no bothers drinking tea and squash. I think I'd miss pints it if I was with the same lads watching the six nations games or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The point is personal reasons like health and a bit of a challenge to stay off booze, perspective on the heavy drinking of the last few weeks, filling the time list to boozing and hangover with other things.

I don’t expect you to get any benefit from me doing dry January. It would be a bit of an unreasonable expectation for you to get any benefit from it. But I also think it’s weird that anyone would oppose someone else choosing not to drink. Nobody has asked you to do anything so you’re completely in the clear.
    Wasn't having a go, just giving my opinion! I agree the hostility from some here is hilarious, and it seems like they're the ones protesting too much because they're a bit too fond of the drink. I get that you were only asking if others are doing it - there was no melodrama. I personally think just keep drink in moderation at all times, then you won't feel the need to take a month off it (or six weeks or three weeks or whatever; doesn't have to be rigidly January) as going for a drink is nice in January with it being so dark and wet/cold. But jeez, I don't care if people do it. Getting as angry as some are here reeks of projection.
    The older I getvth more cringeworthy Irish society becomes to me. It's just a drink of alcohol, it's not mad that you drink. Having pints of guiness doesn't make you some lunatic. Having a hangover isn't the most shocking thing in the world. Get up drink some water get some food into you and go for a walk like.
    There are far less people with a problem than wokeireland thinks. In fact, all you do is make little for the people that actually do need help. ****ing country is like an American teen drama these days.
    Da fuq have I just read? "Irish society" is "cringeworthy" because of people not wanting to get wasted on drink? That they want to avoid a splitting headache, nausea, vomiting, exhaustion, aches and the next day being a write-off? (Next two days if the session is Friday night). Not to mention the potential effects of long-term excessive drinking. Eventually people become no longer able for huge sessions - and it's downright weird that this would bother you. Who said anything about just a drink or a few pints of Guinness being mad/lunatic? :confused:

And this is "woke"? Serious protesting too much. Don't worry, there are still plenty of people drinking themselves into a blackout or a vomiting heap on the street - the "great" aspect of Irish society that you pine for is not gone by a long shot. :D

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Da fuq have I just read? "Irish society" is "cringeworthy" because of people not wanting to get wasted on drink? That they want to avoid a splitting headache, nausea, vomiting, exhaustion, aches and the next day being a write-off? (Next two days if the session is Friday night). Not to mention the potential effects of long-term excessive drinking. Eventually people become no longer able for huge sessions - and it's downright weird that this would bother you. Who said anything about just a drink or a few pints of Guinness being mad/lunatic? :confused:

And this is "woke"? Serious protesting too much. Don't worry, there are still plenty of people drinking themselves into a blackout or a vomiting heap on the street - the "great" aspect of Irish society that you pine for is not gone by a long shot. :D

You didn’t read that anyway. Go take a lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

No pints for me since new year's because I've had other priorities, but I will have a few today all going well.

Again I don't agree with giving up drink just because it's the first month of the year. Have the occasional few scoops when you like and avoid them when you have other stuff to do.

Shouldn't be a problem then.

No pints for me since new year's because I've had other priorities, but I will have a few today all going well.

Again I don't agree with giving up drink just because it's the first month of the year. Have the occasional few scoops when you like and avoid them when you have other stuff to do.

Shouldn't be a problem then.

Some people avoid them all January as they choose to have dry January to do. So, we're in the same boat.

• Advertisement

Some people avoid them all January as they choose to have dry January to do. So, we're in the same boat.

Same boat? you heading for pints today as well! Good man I knew you'd see sense, that aul dry January is a load of nonsense, makes people very tetchy, enjoy the pints lads.

Same boat? you heading for pints as well! Good man I knew you'd see sense, that aul dry January is a load of nonsense, makes people very tetchy, enjoy the pints lads.

Some people seem to need em more than others. So go get one into you quick to take the edge off.

Genuinely can't get my head around people getting upset/care/tell them to stop and have a drink, because others choose not to drink for a month. If you can tell me why that happed, be sure to let me know. If you can't say why that happened...

Some people seem to need em more than others. So go get one into you quick to take the edge off.

Genuinely can't get my head around people getting upset/care/tell them to stop and have a drink, because others choose not to drink for a month. If you can tell me why that happed, be sure to let me know. If you can't say why that happened...

Will indeed chief, enjoy your sunday.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Wasn't having a go, just giving my opinion! I agree the hostility from some here is hilarious, and it seems like they're the ones protesting too much because they're a bit too fond of the drink. I get that you were only asking if others are doing it - there was no melodrama. I personally think just keep drink in moderation at all times, then you won't feel the need to take a month off it (or six weeks or three weeks or whatever; doesn't have to be rigidly January) as going for a drink is nice in January with it being so dark and wet/cold. But jeez, I don't care if people do it. Getting as angry as some are here reeks of projection.

I didn't want to say earlier in the thread but the idea that anyone would have any kind of objection to someone else choosing jot to drink, is the most obviously example of projection you could imagine. It's as obvious as telling someone you're going to Spain on holiday and the person tells you Spain is a **** hole and it's not even worth going (because they would actually quite like a holiday themselves).

Apathy to someone else abstaining from something for a month doesn't cause people to call them names, discourage them from doing abstaining or even pass comment at all. It takes ambivalence to get that kind of emotion reaction to someone else doing something. Most people will just say nothing bit it takes a bitterness to actually actively discourage someone from doing something as small as dry January.

Will indeed chief, enjoy your sunday.

Have a think while you're out and if you can answer that simple question, get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I didn't want to say earlier in the thread but the idea that anyone would have any kind of objection to someone else choosing jot to drink, is the most obviously example of projection you could imagine. It's as obvious as telling someone you're going to Spain on holiday and the person tells you Spain is a **** hole and it's not even worth going (because they would actually quite like a holiday themselves).

Apathy to someone else abstaining from something for a month doesn't cause people to call them names, discourage them from doing abstaining or even pass comment at all. It takes ambivalence to get that kind of emotion reaction to someone else doing something. Most people will just say nothing bit it takes a bitterness to actually actively discourage someone from doing something as small as dry January.

I’d say it is just a fear that if thy tried to do dry January themselves they’d fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I’d say it is just a fear that if thy tried to do dry January themselves they’d fail.

And that why I do dry January. I have been doing it for 9 years now and I figure if a January comes along and I cant do it then I have bigger problems I need to address.
    I come from a long line of alcoholics so having this annual check point is important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Support your local pub.
    Do not do Dry January.
    Pick any other month.
    Pubs really suffer in January.

I think giving up booze for a period is a good idea but not when everyone does it at the same time. Sheep.

Lol, do you work for the VFI or something?

People go bananas from mid-November until New Year in pubs in Ireland. If a pub can't keep the lights on in January after nearly two months of a bonanza they're not running a sustainable business in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Must be awful to be an alcoholic, I quit the drink this January and it's tough - I never really get that pissed anymore, I just like to have a few beers every couple evenings - and I'm talking 330ml bottles here, don't go out for pints much anymore either.

There is a few cans in the fridge and I won't touch them till February, but everytime I open the fridge I just wanna skull them!

Poor alcoholics on the wagon - it must be hell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I quit the booze 5 months ago...and I feel amazing for it! At this point, I can't see a time where Id want to drink again. I think everyone should give it a go for a couple of weeks - waking up at the weekend feeling great can become addictive!

There were a few boring evenings ok, but I always planned ahead, so it never was a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm doing Dry January this year. Had a great Christmas but went overboard on food and booze so decided to knock it on the head for the month.

I find social occasions can be difficult when everyone was drinking. There are generally fewer social occasions in January so makes easier. My mates are generally very supportive when one of us tries to do something like this whether it’s veganuary, or a veggie month or whatever else.

Is anyone else doing it?

How is dry January any different from all those lemmings who tell everyone who will listen, that they are going on the latest trendy diet program in January... ?? (I'm talking the yo yo dieters here, not the rare few who actually make solid commitments and follow through!)

These things give people the mental licence to start and stop being healthy on a whim... for a start, most people go crazy over Christmas because they've made these commitments for January... which kind of defeats the purpose, because most will give up fairly quickly and so will only in effect be undoing the damage they did during that period. (if they're lucky)

Alcohol is a poisonous substance... (hence why people ask what's your poison!? :pac:) Your liver does a remarkable job of dealing with this poison on a regular basis, and is a very tough organ... but over time it becomes less capable of dealing with it. Taking a month off will help it recover, but it doesn't solve the long term problems... and very few people are aware of how many functions in the body rely on the liver. Even a slightly sub-par performance from your liver, will result in significant underperformance of your entire body! (which is the case even for most moderate recreational weekend drinkers)

You are either okay with ingesting this poison in order to have a good time... or you're not... the way a doctor put it to me one time, the best way to avoid health problems from alcohol (whether direct or indirect) is to not drink alcohol... moderation only lessens the severity of the impact. There is no way to drink in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle... it's a myth!

It's a bit like trying to eat junk food in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle... the person who avoids junk food completely, is always going to have a significant advantage over someone who doesn't. Alcohol is no different, and why would it be?

But each to their own... not trying to preach to anyone... just putting the information out there. There tends to be a fair amount of confusion around these topics in my experience. :)

How is dry January any different from all those lemmings who tell everyone who will listen, that they are going on the latest trendy diet program in January... ?? (I'm talking the yo yo dieters here, not the rare few who actually make solid commitments and follow through!)

These things give people the mental licence to start and stop being healthy on a whim... for a start, most people go crazy over Christmas because they've made these commitments for January... which kind of defeats the purpose, because most will give up fairly quickly and so will only in effect be undoing the damage they did during that period. (if they're lucky)

Alcohol is a poisonous substance... (hence why people ask what's your poison!? :pac:) Your liver does a remarkable job of dealing with this poison on a regular basis, and is a very tough organ... but over time it becomes less capable of dealing with it. Taking a month off will help it recover, but it doesn't solve the long term problems... and very few people are aware of how many functions in the body rely on the liver. Even a slightly sub-par performance from your liver, will result in significant underperformance of your entire body! (which is the case even for most moderate recreational weekend drinkers)

You are either okay with ingesting this poison in order to have a good time... or you're not... the way a doctor put it to me one time, the best way to avoid health problems from alcohol (whether direct or indirect) is to not drink alcohol... moderation only lessens the severity of the impact. There is no way to drink in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle... it's a myth!

It's a bit like trying to eat junk food in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle... the person who avoids junk food completely, is always going to have a significant advantage over someone who doesn't. Alcohol is no different, and why would it be?

But each to their own... not trying to preach to anyone... just putting the information out there. There tends to be a fair amount of confusion around these topics in my experience. :)

I agree, I think if something is worth 'quitting' for a month, it may be worth quitting altogether. Personally I've never agreed with 'dry january', I don't see the point in it.

Now I do like a couple of pints myself (usually every second weekend on either a saturday or a sunday), so we may disagree on this point. I enjoy them but they're not something that are particularily important to me and if the pints started to negatively affect my life or the lives of my family I would stop.

I've made no secret though of the fact that junk food (ie sweets and in particular crisps) and takeaways are a real problem for me. It may sound strange but I keep meticulous daily records of my spending and certain habits so I know for fact that in 2019 I ate 436 packets of crisps and brought home a takeaway 67 times for a total combined cost of €2,756

I also bought breakfast/dinner/lunch on many occasions (varying greatly from healthy options to KFC) for a total cost of €2,333

Ps, I wanted to keep McDonalds & KFC etc seperate from actual takeaways.

Now apart from the fact that it's a silly waste of money it's terrible for my health and as I'm now in my 30s I won't get away with it like I did in my 20s and it'll only get worse as I age.

So for 2020, I've decided to try and cut out junk food and takeaways completely, I want to see if I can do it and hopefully I can.

In 2014 I set out to see how long I could last and got to May but then fell off the wagon. I think the big mistake I made was not setting an actual target I just wanted to 'see how long I would last'. This year I've set myself a specific target.

Also I think it's very important to develop and maintain good habits. I joined the gym in 2016 and it's been one of the best things I've ever done for myself, but you can't outtrain a bad diet and I'm pretty annoyed with myself for sabotaging my own progress by eating crap.

Here's hoping to stay on the wagon for 2020 and we'll see after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

As a non-drinker, I don’t like the concept of Dry January because it makes sobriety seem punitive, miserable and boring. Even the name makes it sound awful.

One Year No Beer or @sobergirlsociety on Instagram frame the choice not to drink in a much more healthy, positive way.

Yesterday I met a friend, got the Dart to Bray and did the Cliff Walk to Greystones. Personally, because of the way I drank, I wouldn’t have been able to do that after a night of drinking.

When I gave up drinking most of my friends reacted with a level of incredulity, but one friend said this “KiKi this is going to be great for you. Think of all the extra time and money you’ll have. Think of how much more energy you’ll have. This is going to be the best decision you ever made.”

And he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

KiKi III wrote: »
    As a non-drinker, I don’t like the concept of Dry January because it makes sobriety seem punitive, miserable and boring. Even the name makes it sound awful.

One Year No Beer or @sobergirlsociety on Instagram frame the choice not to drink in a much more healthy, positive way.

Yesterday I met a friend, got the Dart to Bray and did the Cliff Walk to Greystones. Personally, because of the way I drank, I wouldn’t have been able to do that after a night of drinking.

When I gave up drinking most of my friends reacted with a level of incredulity, but one friend said this “KiKi this is going to be great for you. Think of all the extra time and money you’ll have. Think of how much more energy you’ll have. This is going to be the best decision you ever made.”

And he was right.

I've done dry January a few times and never viewed it as a punitive thing,it all depends on your outlook.

Tried the 28 day challenge with one year no beer and found it much worse than dry January, it struck me as an attempt to prey on vulnerable people. It cost plenty to sign up to the challenge and every day they sent emails looking for more money. The facebook group was full of people struggling to go without drink for even a day and they were being encouraged to sign up for longer challenges or other schemes which of course cost significantly more money. They clearly needed professional help, not an online challenge.

I've done dry January a few times and never viewed it as a punitive thing,it all depends on your outlook.

Tried the 28 day challenge with one year no beer and found it much worse than dry January, it struck me as an attempt to prey on vulnerable people. It cost plenty to sign up to the challenge and every day they sent emails looking for more money. The facebook group was full of people struggling to go without drink for even a day and they were being encouraged to sign up for longer challenges or other schemes which of course cost significantly more money. They clearly needed professional help, not an online challenge.

That’s interesting about OYNB.

I’ve never done one of their challenges, but I get targeted with their ads because of sobriety accounts I follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Went for a run yesterday and then had a lovely spicy big bowl of pasta and drank half a bottle of wine. Felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Voltex wrote: »
    I quit the booze 5 months ago...and I feel amazing for it! At this point, I can't see a time where Id want to drink again. I think everyone should give it a go for a couple of weeks - waking up at the weekend feeling great can become addictive!

There were a few boring evenings ok, but I always planned ahead, so it never was a problem.

Completely agree! I'm off it 3 weeks now myself and really enjoying my new found clarity and focus. I've been exercising so much more, eating healthier, my skin is really clear and even my hair looks shinier!
    I have no desire to drink at the moment but I know the novelty of being super fit and healthy will wear off and I'll be back in the danger zone. I think the key is to plan ahead as you said. The boredom and urge to drink to counteract the boredom is part and parcel but i find 'cravings' pass after a few minutes and instead I read a chapter of my book, or try a new recipe or have a bubble bath.
    Alcohol is a motherf*cker though. It's the sneakiest most insidious basted you'll ever meet. Anybody who has a can take it or leave attitude is very lucky whether they realise it or not. For people who struggle with addiction it's a daily battle and it takes one helluva strong person to win against the hooch.
    On that note, hats off and absolute respect to anybody who has kicked it for good or who is attempting to or who even admits they may take it too far sometimes. Fair play one and all!

Well, dry January is temporarily abstaining from booze. So you could view it negatively if you want. Likewise you could view abstaining from booze for ever as a negative thing if you want. You have clearly chosen to use not drinking as a positive thing in your life.

I see dry January as a small challenge, but also a benefit and opportunity. It's a matter of perspective and how you plan to use it.

And he was right.

Fairplay, and I tend to agree with you, I've said many times before that I don't agree with 'dry january'. My main reason being that if something is causing enough damage that someone decides, 'I need to stop doing this for 31 days', then maybe it's something that people should just stop completely. I honestly don't see the merit in temporarily suspending a problem, try to get rid of it!

Now judging by the reaction on here some people seem annoyed by that opinion, but it is honestly what I think and I don't wish anybody any harm by it. Also I know some people do stop drinking altogehter after doing 'dry january' and that's great but I'd imagine very few people stay off it for good.

Like I said before, I like a drink but it's not something I consider a problem, I can stay off drink for weeks if I'm preparing for exams or an interview for example and not even think about it. I'm lucky in that sense because unfortunately some other people can't seem to do that.

Now takeaways are a lot more of a problem for me so I'm trying knock them for 2020, not just for January 2020 because that won't change anything, I'll be straight back to my old habit.

As a matter of interest how long are you off the drink?

Also did you have a problem with drink or were you just fed up with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Well, dry January is temporarily abstaining from booze. So you could view it negatively if you want. Likewise you could view abstaining from booze for ever as a negative thing if you want. You have clearly chosen to use not drinking as a positive thing in your life.

I see dry January as a small challenge, but also a benefit and opportunity. It's a matter of perspective and how you plan to use it.

Political parties rule our coalition with SF because it it a red line issue for a large portion of the electorate and their supporters.

If FF or FG suggested they would coalesce with SF it would send their prospective voters running for the hills.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Political parties rule our coalition with SF because it it a red line issue for a large portion of the electorate and their supporters.

If FF or FG suggested they would coalesce with SF it would send their prospective voters running for the hills.

That's a very interesting take on Dry January.

Fairplay, and I tend to agree with you, I've said many times before that I don't agree with 'dry january'. My main reason being that if something is causing enough damage that someone decides, 'I need to stop doing this for 31 days', then maybe it's something that people should just stop completely. I honestly don't see the merit in temporarily suspending a problem, try to get rid of it!

Now judging by the reaction on here some people seem annoyed by that opinion, but it is honestly what I think and I don't wish anybody any harm by it. Also I know some people do stop drinking altogehter after doing 'dry january' and that's great but I'd imagine very few people stay off it for good.

Like I said before, I like a drink but it's not something I consider a problem, I can stay off drink for weeks if I'm preparing for exams or an interview for example and not even think about it. I'm lucky in that sense because unfortunately some other people can't seem to do that.

Now takeaways are a lot more of a problem for me so I'm trying knock them for 2020, not just for January 2020 because that won't change anything, I'll be straight back to my old habit.

Maybe other people don't have problems with drink the way you say you have a problem with takeaways.

Maybe other people can do things or abstain from things for a while, simply for the temporary health benefit and the act of self discipline.

Maybe for other people, dry January is a small act of abstinence, not the same as your takeaway problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

As a someone that tends not to drink an awful lot these days, I tend to have a wet Christmas and a mostly dry rest of the year.

Maybe other people don't have problems with drink the way you say you have a problem with takeaways.

Maybe other people can do things or abstain from things for a while, simply for the temporary health benefit and the act of self discipline.

Maybe for other people, dry January is a small act of abstinence, not the same as your takeaway problem.

Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

As a first time Dry January person I'm really enjoying it. I'm not the obsessive type so I did have 3 beers Friday night as we were at a gig and everyone else was drinking. Didn't feel great the next day which surprised me as normally 3 beers wouldn't have an impact like that, maybe it was the beer, one of those Irish Craft beers. Anyway I'm sticking with it now til the end of the month and considering doing lent too. I could actually see myself giving alcohol a complete miss at some point in the future.

As a first time Dry January person I'm really enjoying it. I'm not the obsessive type so I did have 3 beers Friday night as we were at a gig and everyone else was drinking. Didn't feel great the next day which surprised me as normally 3 beers wouldn't have an impact like that, maybe it was the beer, one of those Irish Craft beers. Anyway I'm sticking with it now til the end of the month and considering doing lent too. I could actually see myself giving alcohol a complete miss at some point in the future.

Good man, I'd say knock it altogether if you're enjoying dry january, certainly a fair few quid to be saved as well as being better for your health.

Ok folks, the final saturday night of January is upon us. Will any of our 'December alcoholics' currently on 'dry January' crack or will they officially stay off the drink for another whole week??

Ok folks, the final saturday night of January is upon us. Will any of our 'December alcoholics' currently on 'dry January' crack or will they officially stay off the drink for another whole week??

As Magnus Magnussen said, I started so I'll finish.

As a matter of interest, why do you concern yourself with dry January when you oppose the idea?

As Magnus Magnussen said, I started so I'll finish.

As a matter of interest, why do you concern yourself with dry January when you oppose the idea?

Good man, fairplay, I mean that sincerely.

I just find it a curious practice is all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It’s just drink ffs. I hate this everyone retreats into a cocoon for January. Life will be over soon enough, drink isn’t the devil.

That's what I really hate about January. Not even the fact that so many people go off the drink, but that so many become antisocial and suddenly you basically don't see certain friends for ages. I love drinking, but I don't NEED every social occasion to be about alcohol. I regularly go weeks without drinking much if more interesting options appear. I'm perfectly happy to do sober things as long as I get to spend time with people.

Can't wait until this month is over.

• Advertisement

Good man, fairplay, I mean that sincerely.

I just find it a curious practice is all really.

I find the claim of sincerity, hollow. About as sincere as my asking how the December ‘fast food fat fcuker’ is doing off the take aways.

I find the claim of sincerity, hollow. About as sincere as my asking how the December ‘fast food fat fcuker’ is doing off the take aways.

Haha nice bit of alliteration there, I like it, I'm gonna use that one myself actually if that's ok?

I'm doing very well, thanks for asking. No take aways or junk food so far this month and not even missing them thankfully.

I'm officially on the wagon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I lasted till 25 January, a colleague of mine was in Andorra and he brought me back a bottle of Jameson crested .... just got some cans of Guinness and had a shot of Crested followed by the Guinness - ****ing heaven!!!

I love the drink ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I will last until 5pm this Friday coming. My brain has hit full gear this last week. Could outwit einstein with the sharpness.

Fair play

I'm looking forward to watching the rugby with a pint this weekend. Glad I did the Dry January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Anyone doing it this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

On a dry Jan binge of fizzy water and sweets yeah. yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eastie17 wrote: »
    Anyone doing it this year?

Fcuk no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

The Nal wrote: »
    Fcuk no

Be a rebel and do it...dont be like the rest of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, 2 weeks clean today. Feels great, loads of energy and clear head. Jogging most days and all that jazz.
    I've nothing to gain from drinking at the moment with no pubs and no social interactions so I'll probably avoid it for longer than just January, I don't think I've ever gone more than 4 weeks in the last 25 years which is pretty ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

I'm doing Dry January this year. Had a great Christmas but went overboard on food and booze so decided to knock it on the head for the month.

I find social occasions can be difficult when everyone was drinking. There are generally fewer social occasions in January so makes easier. My mates are generally very supportive when one of us tries to do something like this whether it’s veganuary, or a veggie month or whatever else.

Is anyone else doing it?

absolutely not, things are grim enough without giving up the gargle, if anything ive increased my gargle consumption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Is dry January some relatively new hipster fad or something it's only the last few years i began to hear about this, people posting on social media telling the world that they are not drinking for the month, errrr yeah thanks for that mate thats made my day that has.:rolleyes::pac:

Keep on drinking, especially now of all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Is anyone else doing it?

Good on you, and fair play to your mates they seem like a supportive bunch.

I was tee total for a number of years and was always made to feel like the outsider when at the pub etc. People often get suspicious of the sober one IMO. It can however get grating after about pint no 3 and you start to hear the slurred speech and the same old stories dragged out again and again.

Yeah I’m on the dry January. It’s not difficult this year as there are no matches with the lads or Friday pints after work.

Even so, I’m enjoying it. In the last few months I had only been drinking a few on a Saturday, watching the rugby or Zooming with mates. But over Christmas I drank most days so the contrast from Christmas is more dramatic than the contrast with the last few months.

The main difference is I’m sleeping better and more consistently when not drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I was never a great sleeper so I'm doing no booze and the sleepio.com sleep course at the same time. Already improving.
    Those saying drink makes lockdown easier, it made it infinitely worse for some of us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement