Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

pgj2015 wrote: »
    no one cares.
    Ah now. Jaysus he’s a great lad altogether, going to Asia like that. And then telling us how much better than Ireland it is? I’ll sleep sounder tonight anyway after being lucky enough to hear that.
    I suppose its easier for him to pull lady boys over there.

Ladies, begrudging will get ye nowhere.

Ladyboys all over the shop, thankfully they tend to leave you alone when you're with the GF.

Are ladyboys a turn on for you... must be, since you brought it up. Sicko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Of course you can go back to the relatively healthy relationship that you had with booze pre-December, nobody has asked you to do anything.

It’s interesting how many people are annoyed that a few people would choose not to drink for the month.

I think it's fairly clear that people aren't annoyed about others choosing not to drink and are more annoyed about the fact that it has become a social media fad whereby it seems to be all that people can talk about.

It also displays a really unhealthy relationship with alcohol and to be honest if you feel that you have to go off booze for a period of time after how it has made you fell over christmas then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Definitely no need for the aggressive language but I suppose there just doesn't seem to be any point to it. As said, try not to over-do it all times (with exceptions like Christmas) instead of ruling it out completely for the dreariest month of the year.

The point is personal reasons like health and a bit of a challenge to stay off booze, perspective on the heavy drinking of the last few weeks, filling the time list to boozing and hangover with other things.

I don’t expect you to get any benefit from me doing dry January. It would be a bit of an unreasonable expectation for you to get any benefit from it. But I also think it’s weird that anyone would oppose someone else choosing not to drink. Nobody has asked you to do anything so you’re completely in the clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭HBC08

JohnCleary wrote: »

Ladyboys all over the shop, thankfully they tend to leave you alone when you're with the GF.

How much did ya pay for the GF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JohnCleary wrote: »

iv told you before, you can't call your right hand your girlfriend.

honestly though no one cares if you are in some third world country drinking from a bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The point is personal reasons like health and a bit of a challenge to stay off booze, perspective on the heavy drinking of the last few weeks, filling the time list to boozing and hangover with other things.

I don’t expect you to get any benefit from me doing dry January. It would be a bit of an unreasonable expectation for you to get any benefit from it. But I also think it’s weird that anyone would oppose someone else choosing not to drink. Nobody has asked you to do anything so you’re completely in the clear.

Wont somebody please think of the pubs?

I think it's fairly clear that people aren't annoyed about others choosing not to drink and are more annoyed about the fact that it has become a social media fad whereby it seems to be all that people can talk about.

It also displays a really unhealthy relationship with alcohol and to be honest if you feel that you have to go off booze for a period of time after how it has made you fell over christmas then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

I think it's fairly clear people are getting annoyed about it for whatever reason.

I think it's been fairly well established that Irish people tend towards having an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. That not news.

Where are you getting the idea that it's all that people can talk about? I come across ideas that don't interest me all the time. I just disattenuate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Never gave up drink for any period of time, I go for a few pints usually on either saturday night or sunday afternoon but not even every week.

I enjoy a few pints, just because it's the first month of the year doesn't magically change that.

For me food is far more of a problem, I get to the gym 4-5 times a week but I'm only making very slow progress because I do eat too much crap (lunch and dinners are healthy but too much crisps and sweets).

I think it's far more important to get your diet right and be healthier for 12 months rather than just going on 'dry january' and thinking that's the answer to all your prayers.

If you think a habit is doing you harm, try to give it up altogether rather than suspending it for a few weeks!

HBC08 wrote: »
    How much did ya pay for the GF?

Your oul' one will tell you herself once I return her :pac:

• Advertisement

iv told you before, you can't call your right hand your girlfriend.

honestly though no one cares if you are in some third world country drinking from a bucket.

You obviously care, you're replying :pac:

You think Bangkok / Thailand is 3rd world? Do you live up a mountain or something? Congrats on most idiotic post of 2020 so far!

I think it's fairly clear people are getting annoyed about it for whatever reason.

I think it's been fairly well established that Irish people tend towards having an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. That not news.

Where are you getting the idea that it's all that people can talk about? I come across ideas that don't interest me all the time. I just disattenuate.

As I said - it seems like people are annoyed with the dramatic attention seeking nature of it and not the actual deed. People can do something without allowing it to define themselves & their conversations.

The statement of Irish people having an unhealthy relationhip with alcohol does nothing to help your point and more backs up mine about the people who feel the need to go cold turkey after a heavy christmas - being stuck in an odd and quite immature binge cycle regarding their alcohol intake.

If you are stuck in such a cycle then spend the money you are saving this month on seeking help and you'll fell better in the long run.

If alcohol makes you fell so low that you must go off it for a period of time then just nip the whole habit in the bud

Never gave up drink for any period of time, I go for a few pints usually on either saturday night or sunday afternoon but not even every week.

I enjoy a few pints, just because it's the first month of the year doesn't magically change that.

For me food is far more of a problem, I get to the gym 4-5 times a week but I'm only making very slow progress because I do eat too much crap (lunch and dinners are healthy but too much crisps and sweets).

I think it's far more important to get your diet right and be healthier for 12 months rather than just going on 'dry january' and thinking that's the answer to all your prayers.

If you think a habit is doing you harm, try to give it up altogether rather than suspending it for a few weeks!

You sound like my twin

You sound like my twin

Ha I never got 'dry january' at all, I do enjoy sitting on the bar stool though, looking out the window at all the january joggers panting past the window with their new gear on.

Genuinely fairplay to the few who stick to it but most are deluding themselves and end up back in the bar first weekend of February.

Ha I never got 'dry january' at all, I do enjoy sitting on the bar stool though, looking out the window at all the january joggers panting past the window with their new gear on.

Genuinely fairplay to the few who stick to it but most are deluding themselves and end up back in the bar first weekend of February.

Aye, do things that you like in moderation all year long is the healthiest approach.

Train regularly all year round, go for a few scoops with your mates when you want - life is meant to be enjoyable not some cycle of gorging and purging

As I said - it seems like people are annoyed with the dramatic attention seeking nature of it and not the actual deed. People can do something without allowing it to define themselves & their conversations.

The statement of Irish people having an unhealthy relationhip with alcohol does nothing to help your point and more backs up mine about the people who feel the need to go cold turkey after a heavy christmas - being stuck in an odd and quite immature binge cycle regarding their alcohol intake.

If you are stuck in such a cycle then spend the money you are saving this month on seeking help and you'll fell better in the long run.

If alcohol makes you fell so low that you must go off it for a period of time then just nip the whole habit in the bud

Sure but there are loads of people getting cross about other people doing dry January without doing it in strict silence. I started a thread about it because Im curious to know the perspective of other people doing it too. I've gotten something far more Interesting in people getting cross that other people don't drink in January and get cross at even hearing about it in a completely optional conversation. Now that's Interesting.

We know Irish culture has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And I know I went over the top at Christmas by drinking at least one drink every day from the time I went on annual leave before Christmas. That's 12 days on the trot including getting drunk on 2 of those days. So I'm going to have a break from booze because I feel drinking that many days in a row is unhealthy for body and mind and I don't want to become dependant on alcohol. I'll be sure to give your advice the consideration I feel it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Leo is into this. So, that's a good enough reason for me not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Support your local pub.
    Do not do Dry January.
    Pick any other month.
    Pubs really suffer in January.

I think giving up booze for a period is a good idea but not when everyone does it at the same time. Sheep.

Why does anyone have to support a pub? This odd notion that the pub is a community hall or something. Like it’s a bastion of something noble and good. It’s not. It’s a place of drinking and it’s only a good thing if people’s way of interacting with others is away from that.

Drink is bad for your health end of. There’s no need to build a culture around doing that.

We shouldn’t normalise heading to the pub 3 or 4 nights a week. It’s a weird notion among younger people who would rather spend their time doing more productive things.

I hope pub culture dies out and we all move towards healthier ways of Interacting with each other. So no to supporting your local pub. Maybe they just don’t need to open every single night then. They adapt to us not us to them.

I know you may mean don’t stop going to the pub in general and pop in but this “local pub” tag gives it a notion of a wholesome good place.

Anyway. With dry January I don’t see the point unless you are examining your drinking throughout. If you feel you need a month off due to excessive drinking than you should look at that. Not “detox” and think grand same again the year after. Worse yet just going back to awful habits again.

If it is just to do it because you are infact a reasonable, sensible drinker and just want a break than fair enough. But most I know don’t drink to excess and don’t feel the need for it. I suspect it’s more to do with the former.

Sorry about the rant. I came back home for Xmas and grew pretty sick of the whole drinking thing and the if you’re not doing it to excess you’re not doing it right.

Sure but there are loads of people getting cross about other people doing dry January without doing it in strict silence. I started a thread about it because Im curious to know the perspective of other people doing it too. I've gotten something far more Interesting in people getting cross that other people don't drink in January and get cross at even hearing about it in a completely optional conversation. Now that's Interesting.

We know Irish culture has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And I know I went over the top at Christmas by drinking at least one drink every day from the time I went on annual leave before Christmas. That's 12 days on the trot including getting drunk on 2 of those days. So I'm going to have a break from booze because I feel drinking that many days in a row is unhealthy for body and mind and I don't want to become dependant on alcohol. I'll be sure to give your advice the consideration I feel it deserves.

Drinking 12 days in a row could probably be considered unhealthy alright, depends on the units consumed though I suppose.

I don't know who's getting cross here, I'm certainly not but I am weighing in on something I know a lot of people do and I happen to disagree with.

Again, I would say if you have a habit which you consider bad enough, that you need to give it up for a period of time, I honestly think it's best to try and knock it altogether.

I enjoy a few pints most weekends and I've never got to a point where I thought, 'ok this is a problem, I need to stop this for a few weeks'.

If I try to give something up, I try to do it for good (bar maybe special occasions). For eg, I'd love to cut take aways out of my life competely not just for January 2020.

Rather than the traditional 'dry january' I think it's far better to pick up a good habit and stick to it. I joined a gym in September 2016 and still go at least 4 times a week and love it to be honest, one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Why does anyone have to support a pub? This odd notion that the pub is a community hall or something. Like it’s a bastion of something noble and good. It’s not. It’s a place of drinking and it’s only a good thing if people’s way of interacting with others is away from that.

Drink is bad for your health end of. There’s no need to build a culture around doing that.

We shouldn’t normalise heading to the pub 3 or 4 nights a week. It’s a weird notion among younger people who would rather spend their time doing more productive things.

I hope pub culture dies out and we all move towards healthier ways of Interacting with each other. So no to supporting your local pub. Maybe they just don’t need to open every single night then. They adapt to us not us to them.

Anyway. With dry January I don’t see the point unless you are examining your drinking throughout. If you feel you need a month off due to excessive drinking than you should look at that. Not “detox” and think grand same again the year after. Worse yet just going back to awful habits again.

If it is just to do it because you are infact a reasonable, sensible drinker and just want a break than fair enough. But most I know don’t drink to excess and don’t feel the need for it. I suspect it’s more to do with the former.

Sorry about the rant. I came back home for Xmas and grew pretty sick of the whole drinking thing and the if you’re not doing it to excess you’re not doing it right.

Born - cycle - die.

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Born - cycle - die.

Great.

I know that made sense in your head but when you communicate you generally have to explain what it is your thinking to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dry January is an absolutely moronic idea.

Its depressing enough without having to do it 100% sober.

Everything in moderation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

It's not sheep, some of us totally overindulge over Xmas period. I had Xmas parties, get togethers, way too much food, 2 weddings, etc.
    I toyed with the dry Jan idea but ended up drinking in a few bars in Dublin with me moth last night. So I've already failed.
    So my plan isn't dry Jan, just not as bleedin' wet as Dec was.

you should think about a dry year never mind a dry January......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Support your local pub.
    Do not do Dry January.
    Pick any other month.

I think giving up booze for a period is a good idea but not when everyone does it at the same time. Sheep.

Maybe pubs would get more custom in January if their prices were more reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think if you do dry January it's a sign that you drink too much.

I don't see the appeal or even the achievement in it myself. January is a quiet month generally.

It is my favourite month though, having said all that.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Our other top stories:

- Water wet, say experts
    - Pope announces that he practices Roman Catholicism
    - Bear defecates in woods

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dry January lol for people who only drink in December and then can’t cope. Drinking is all year round for me . Don’t see the need to go mad in December and give up in January

Yeah according to the advice by medical experts the amount I was drinking was excessive ie more then 3-4 units a day or 17 a week with 2-3 days off the booze a week. I was way in excess of that over the Christmas so that's why I'm giving it a miss for the month.

Don't you find it interesting that even mentioning dry January would cause such hostility in some posters. ****, fcukwits, alcoholics, sheep among other insults. That's really disproportionate aggression especially considering that nobody is asking any of them to do anything.

Yeah according to the advice by medical experts the amount I was drinking was excessive ie more then 3-4 units a day or 17 a week with 2-3 days off the booze a week. I was way in excess of that over the Christmas so that's why I'm giving it a miss for the month.

Don't you find it interesting that even mentioning dry January would cause such hostility in some posters. ****, fcukwits, alcoholics, sheep among other insults. That's really disproportionate aggression especially considering that nobody is asking any of them to do anything.

You’ve said this so many times now that it’s fairly obvious it’s the only reason you opened the thread in the first place.

You’ve said this so many times now that it’s fairly obvious it’s the only reason you opened the thread in the first place.

It's a genuinely interesting thing to come from the thread. Don't you find it interesting? The vast majority of posts have been about how opposed some people are to dry January for all the reasons they've given.

Look if you feel you were drinking too much and you want to do dry january then that's your business, go for it.

But again personally I don't agree with dry january because I feel it's just temporarily suspending something which you feel is a problem and/or bad habit.

Now to me those are the sort of things you are better off getting rid of completely. For example, I'm going to try and give up take aways for 2020 and if I succeed, I want to go for another 12 months. (I've managed 4 months before in the past so I believe I can do it this year).

As for hostility/aggression on boards, listen unfortunately that's nothing new, I wouldn't pass any heed on it.

Only a couple of days ago a poster on here wished a death squad on me because basically I said I preferred movies to be entertaining rather than politically agenda driven.

Didn't bother much with that poster in fairness :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

It can be both knowing you drink too much in general but seriously excessive in December so dry January is a good place to start with cutting back and hopefully reassessing your overall relationship with alcohol. There are many reasons people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Last year I did a dry January, February, March, May, June, July, August, September, November. Think I drank about 10 pints last year.

I don't get the fuss about dry January but I guess its great for Instagram likes xD

“Relationship with alcohol” needs be set on fire and run over just in case it survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

“Relationship with alcohol” needs be set on fire and run over just in case it survives.

For some people it is a relationship. It's the only thing in their lives and they depend on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Support your local pub.
    Do not do Dry January.
    Pick any other month.

Its such a shame that its so hard to get non alcoholic drinks in pubs besides bad tasting beers, maybe pubs should get creative this time of year to bring people in, some local pubs have movie nights, non alcoholic cocktails, food and bingo.
    I love a pub and would go in to socialise, get some food and a few nice non alcoholic drinks if it was available.

To answer the OP, im doing dry January for the first time ever - wont be a big deal for me as ive easily gone months at a time with no drink and didnt miss it or crave it but my problem is when I drink, I binge. So, im planning on extending my dry January and not drinking again, ill see how this goes as I love a drink but im just not the type of person that can go for one or two. If I have to leave a pub after one or two drinks I feel sad and disappointed because I want to continue drinking and it will genuinely effect my mood in a negative way.
    Im not an alcoholic but I do abuse alcohol so im knocking it on the head.

Its such a shame that its so hard to get non alcoholic drinks in pubs besides bad tasting beers, maybe pubs should get creative this time of year to bring people in, some local pubs have movie nights, non alcoholic cocktails, food and bingo.
    I love a pub and would go in to socialise, get some food and a few nice non alcoholic drinks if it was available.

To answer the OP, im doing dry January for the first time ever - wont be a big deal for me as ive easily gone months at a time with no drink and didnt miss it or crave it but my problem is when I drink, I binge. So, im planning on extending my dry January and not drinking again, ill see how this goes as I love a drink but im just not the type of person that can go for one or two. If I have to leave a pub after one or two drinks I feel sad and disappointed because I want to continue drinking and it will genuinely effect my mood in a negative way.
    Im not an alcoholic but I do abuse alcohol so im knocking it on the head.

Good on you, best of luck with it, if you think knocking it altogether is the way forward then go for it.

As for pubs not offering more, they obviously feel it doesn't pay them to do it and they are in business at the end of the day.

Drink is the big seller, that's their priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Good on you, best of luck with it, if you think knocking it altogether is the way forward then go for it.

As for pubs not offering more, they obviously feel it doesn't pay them to do it and they are in business at the end of the day.

Drink is the big seller, that's their priority.

True but it'd be nice if they had the option alongside their normal serving of alcohol.

True but it'd be nice if they had the option alongside their normal serving of alcohol.

It would of course, the more entertainment the better and in future pubs may have to go this route as I can see a stronger campaign against alcohol down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I should really do it. Have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Said I would but there was still alcohol in the house since Xmas. Was thinking with tomorrow being Little Xmas I would start Tues....

• Advertisement

Porklife wrote: »
    It can be both knowing you drink too much in general but seriously excessive in December so dry January is a good place to start with cutting back and hopefully reassessing your overall relationship with alcohol. There are many reasons people do it.

Yeah, I reckon for all the people who do Dry January, for a small amount of them, it might kickstart some more permanent changes. Much like many people quit the gym after January but others keep it up and form new habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd imagine I'll drink more in January as it's depressing. Nothing mad or excessive, but it's a bad month to give things up I think.

I'd imagine I'll drink more in January as it's depressing. Nothing mad or excessive, but it's a bad month to give things up I think.

I mean, the irony of dealing with depression with a depressant. I think it's the perfect time. Following the excess of Christmas, the days are beginning to get longer. I think it's the perfect time to swap a depressant for exercise to get a bit fit, lose a kilo or 2 and wait until the days get properly longer in February/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

By and large I have no issue with people doing something as a form of abstinence or follow an intense but short period of activity in something, in fact in many cases I think it's a good thing. A lot of people eat and drink too much over Christmas, the excess brings a form of financial pressure, excess weight and perhaps some negative psychology. The January gym goers and alcohol abstainers may find they lose the weight they had put on, get back to financial normality and an improvement in mood by the time they hit the middle of February......job done, well done. If they don't want to continue on with this beyond that then it's not really a big problem IMO.

Any issue I have with it would be why I should care if somebody is doing it or why anyone would publicise it to their friends. As an adult I really couldn't care less if somebody approves of my behaviour or not in terms of whatever I'm doing. I certainly don't care about a large scale undertaking of it, like they should make me think about what I'm doing.....and I haven't had a drink in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I mean, the irony of dealing with depression with a depressant. I think it's the perfect time. Following the excess of Christmas, the days are beginning to get longer. I think it's the perfect time to swap a depressant for exercise to get a bit fit, lose a kilo or 2 and wait until the days get properly longer in February/March.
    I'm not depressed, I just find January dreary. I'll enjoy my few drinks, you enjoy your smugness.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

you are giving up drink for a month not going off to war, im sure you will survive. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't support non-drinkers though. I've lost friends, stopped being invited to things and had drink after drink bought for me even though I said I wouldn't drink it. Even had a man in the supermarket give out to me cos I was buying non-alcholoholic wine for dinner - sh!thead.

Good luck OP, glad you've got support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Good luck OP, I’m also doing dry January, feeling better already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The older I getvth more cringeworthy Irish society becomes to me. It's just a drink of alcohol, it's not mad that you drink. Having pints of guiness doesn't make you some lunatic. Having a hangover isn't the most shocking thing in the world. Get up drink some water get some food into you and go for a walk like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I do it every January as I'm usually banjaxed after the heavy drinking in December. I think a break does everyone good and it gives you a chance to get the body back to normal again.

One thing i definitely find in Jan is that I have more money to spend on other things which is great. Whether it's new clothes or an expensive meal, it's a break away from spending it all on booze. December can be a bit of a financial strain for folk too so not going to the pub once a week saves a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

The older I getvth more cringeworthy Irish society becomes to me. It's just a drink of alcohol, it's not mad that you drink. Having pints of guiness doesn't make you some lunatic. Having a hangover isn't the most shocking thing in the world. Get up drink some water get some food into you and go for a walk like.

Yeah but most Irish people drink in excess of what they should drink. There are people who can have a social drink, and then there are people who have a problem with drinking. The drinking culture in Ireland is different to elsewhere with many over doing it.

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Yeah but most Irish people drink in excess of what they should drink. There are people who can have a social drink, and then there are people who have a problem with drinking. The drinking culture in Ireland is different to elsewhere with many over doing it.

There are far less people with a problem than wokeireland thinks. In fact, all you do is make little for the people that actually do need help. ****ing country is like an American teen drama these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement