Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job, needed on site?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I’ve just begun a new job and was informed before starting the job that it wouldn’t be possible to work from home, which was absolutely fine with me as I just presumed I needed to be onsite. Since beginning the job, I spent just one morning on site last Thursday and the last 3 days I have been training from home.

It turns out that the platform I will be working with is online based and can be used from home with no issue, and other staff members are working from home at the moment. I had however been told that I am needed on site because I have a particular job to do everyday, which turns out to be some basic administrative stuff that literally requires 5 minutes of work per day, and 5 minutes is not an exaggeration. It could easily be done by the many many staff who are actually needed on site.

Another issue is that due to the nature of my job and where my workspace is located I have several people walking by me everyday who are not staff with no masks in use. I’m sorry for being cryptic but I am unable to give any more away.

Should I be pushing to be allowed to work from home? I’d rather not roll the dice and catch covid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

You were informed and accepted you'd have to be on site before you accepted the job, doesn't matter whether it's 5 mins or 5 hours, you knew and agreed to it. I'd be more worried about rolling the dice and getting let go if you've a probation period of this is the carry on.

You agreed to roll the dice in the first sentence of your post. Wear a mask and be glad the current terms are better than the ones you signed up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

If you are would about catching Covid, then just leave is it really worth the risk ? You are just another number to them there are plenty of remote jobs available at the moment. Jobs come and go you can always get another. Health and family health come first .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd focus on finding a safer workspace - if others are working off-site, there should be lots of options.

Advertisement