Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim problem?

Options
  • 17-01-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to figure this out, have a TP Link Archer M600 router with a 48 sim. It worked fine for the first 24 hours or so but then dropped signal. Turned it off and on but still no signal. Put the Sim into a phone where it got a 4G signal. Checked all the APN settings and they are correct and went to the router webpage to make sure it was set to DCHP rather than static which it was. Put it back into the router and it worked but again about 24 hours later the signal dropped and its back to square one.

Does it sound like a problem with the sim or the router? Any other things I can check before ordering another sim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like they're profiling the device and shutting your access tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Try it on 3G or if it's set to 4G only, change it to 3G/4G auto.

How long does phone retain signal? More than 24 hours?

If there's a roaming setting in router, change it from on to off or vice versa.

The 48 thread in mobile forum might yield more feedback on routers with a 48 SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Will try those suggestions Ten Pin, thanks
    ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like they're profiling the device and shutting your access tbh.

Was kind of wondering the same myself, especially as it worked in the router perfectly for about 24 hours both times and then nothing but when I put the sim back into a phone for a few minutes it worked fine on 4G. However from the 48 thread others were saying they are using it in a router without problems so Im not sure whats going on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

Can you try the sim in a phone to see if the issue is with the modem or sim? They could have capped you if over fair usage policy

Yeah I put it in a phone for a few minutes to test and it got 4G no problems. It then went back into the router where it worked for a further 24 hours but then it dropped again. There is no way Im anywhere near the 100GB limit as it only worked in the router for less than 2 x 24 hour periods since I got it, I wasnt streaming or anything, just general browsing with maybe a couple of short Youtube videos so I barely used 2 or 3gb.

Its just strange the way it worked perfectly for about 24 hours each time and then it didnt work so not sure whats going on.

Do the networks have some way of knowing that it is inside a router rather than a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Do the networks have some way of knowing that it is inside a router rather than a phone?

AFAIK they can identify a device based on the IMEI.

3 never blocked SIM free routers from using a phone SIM despite the fact that they used to forbid tethering/modem use in their terms. It's unusual that 48 might be doing this because MNOs shouldn't favour one device type over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They can do TTL inspection to detect NAT. NAT is a clear sign of tethering/router use.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK they can identify a device based on the IMEI.

3 never blocked SIM free routers from using a phone SIM despite the fact that they used to forbid tethering/modem use in their terms. It's unusual that 48 might be doing this because MNOs shouldn't favour one device type over another.

Yeah that is my line thinking as well. Id read a fair bit of the 48 thread and didnt come across others there having problems using it in a router so just presumed it wasnt a problem. That said 48 are signing a lot of new customers up so there may come a point where they are blocking Sims due to network overload.

It might also be a dodgy sim or else there is some setting on the router that I havent got correct. DCHP was the obvious one but that is set up correctly. Im not at the house until tomorrow evening but will tinker around with it then, I'll put the phone sim into it too for 24 hours and see if I get any difference from that. I do have a unused 3rd 48 sim that I can activate before the end of the month at the 7.99 price so thats another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

had a similar issue with a tenda router no 4g eventually deleted all the apns and it worked , worth a try

Just an update, plugged the router back in when I got home and it worked fine without any need for tinkering. Will see if the signal lasts into tomorrow as both times before it had gone overnight.

• Advertisement

Just a final update (I think). The 48 sim in the router has been working fine this last four days. It has dropped out about 3 times but always comes back on its own within a minute or two. Im not sure why it gave trouble at the start but all seems good now.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Advertisement