Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Extraordinary Books

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

New Items:
    Dining-on-Stones.jpg
    02). Dining on Stones by a Iain Sinclair (2004)
    "Everything that had happened to them... had been refracted through Norton’s fiction, his voice. The unplaceable accent. The half-truths. The bending and warping of a simple event, a walk."

Boy when you finish a Sinclair book you certainly know you've been in a fight... wait maybe that isn't how your supposed to feel while reading :P ?
    Some prior material that might help with this one includes 'Heart of Darkness', 'Nostromo' and the film 'Performance'. They won't help entirely though as there are innumerable film, book and art reference in this one, more than usual i felt. I would also recommend the art of Max Beckmann but looking at the that actually seemed to make the references to it make less sense :lol .

All of Sinclair's books tend to be about an author trying to write a book, the search for narrative presented as the narrative itself. The books end up somewhere between 'Lost in La Mancha' and 'Adaptation'.
    I actually made it to the 2/3 point with a decent grasp on things everything after that is pretty spotty. I think you might need to be an artist of somesort or have a degree in art/literature criticism to get a lot of that final 1/3.

The plot such as there is involves i think 3 different author avatars all of them trying to write versions of the same story or at least involving some of the same characters. Bits of gangster plots, documentary, doppelgangers and recovered notes and photos from a 19th century doomed trip to the amazon.

There are certainly elements of enjoyment but too messy, too long and too much Art for my rudimentary taste. [2/5]

220px-Doctor_Omega.jpg
    01). Doctor Omega by Arnould Galopin (1906)
    Another book in the vain of 'The First Men in the Moon', which of course was famously sued for plagiarism by the author of 'A Plunge Into Space' but nobody cares about that because the latter is terrible.. and also derivative of 'Across the Zodiac' anyway.

This one has all the dryness of a victorian novel but with the scientific interest and all the pulp of later sci-fi without any of the excitement. Its slock, nonsense, drivvel. It also takes elements of 'From the Earth to the Moon', 20,000 Leagues, 'The Master of the World' and 'Gulliver's Travels'.

Its not all bad, the aliens are more like 1950s martians than you might expect, it also might be losing a little in translation but i doubt it.
    Any attempts to equate Dr.Omega with Dr.Who are spurious, although i wouldn't be surprised if both characters received some influence from Moriarty of the Holmes stories.
    Some small elements of scifi interest but barely worth the reading effort. [2/5]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
    GR Items: 450
    Time Taken: 10 years, 10 months.

Additional Non-GR Items:
    Comic Issues 175
    Short Stories 69
    TV episodes 56
    Films 42
    Fairytales 19
    Radio episodes 15
    Magazines 11
    Poems 11
    Musicals 8
    Songs 4

Oh wow... i don't feel well.. i just had a wave of mortality wash over me (like opening a reunion invitation) looking at that time taken :P .
    No, no.. this is not a time for existential dread this is a time for celebration... WWWWHHHOOOOOOOOOhhhhoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    I did it! i have completed my 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' reading list. :|:):D:D:D .

Oh yess, i've been trying to find a natural stopping place for quite some time but everytime i thought about it i discovered something else of interest still on the list.
    I never in my wildest fancies thought i'd be reading for this long, it was never a plan, i just started and forgot to stop :) .

Theres still a few things i could read, but most of those items would be expensive to track down or are by authors i've already read some items by. I'm more than satisfied to stop here and move on to fresh pastures.

I have many a plan already in the works and the cleanup from this list will keep me busy for a few more years.
    Before i started this list i read (lets be generous) about 3 books a year. With this list it rose to 30 and after after getting into the swing of things doubled to 60 where its remained steady for the last 5 years :D .

I hope to keep my reading up and hopefully as diverse. This journey has pushed me into many genres i don't normally enter and introduced me to many new authors whom i look forward to reading more of. I'll also now hopefully have the time for some rereads of many of the interesting things i've found along the way :) .

But yeah... that's it, this is the end my friend, all over now, no post-credit sequence here, nothing more to add :) .

~~~~~~~~~~~ finis ~~~~~~~~~~

Advertisement