Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Read your own posts mate.
    "Tackle can't cause a groin issue" and "tackle not worthy of a yellow card for a first offence".
    Rubbish.
    I don't care who you support either. Or if you want us to win. Couldn't care less.
    You're stating your own opinions on here which is grand, but I didn't expect you to start back tracking and "clarifying" your own posts so soon after making them. At least have the courage of your convictions.
    Bye .

I stand by both - you cannot say that tackle caused his groin injury. Please provide medical proof of that. He played on so could have happened in the tackle, or afterwards.
    My opinion is that is wasn't a yellow for a first offence. If Rakitic had already committed a similar offence then it is a yellow.

In case you are unaware, referees do work on a tallying up system too, hence Fabinho getting booked.

You are getting way too worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Milner was an old school, almost GAA thing of giving a lad a dunt, to let him know you were there.....a yellow, but nothing nasty....Rakitic was one that could have caused damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Guffy wrote: »
    Putting the no away goal squarely on Salah tonight.

Messi takes a rebound from the woodwork and walks the ball into the net.

Salah gets a rebound off the line and turns to celebrate before he strikes it and misses.

Would you ever fcuk right off with that bullsh1t talk. Salah was fantastic tonight apart from the goal "miss".

There were 3 fellas on the line and he was trying to be too precise with his "wrong foot"

Messi had on the other hand an empty net, even Stevie "Fcuking" Wonder would have scored Messi's tap in.

Milner was an old school, almost GAA thing of giving a lad a dunt, to let him know you were there.....a yellow, but nothing nasty....Rakitic was one that could have caused damage

I love Milners challenge, target their best player and knock him about in a way that only be a yellow.

Would've been better if he'd done it to Ronaldo tho :pac:

Tomw86 wrote: »
    I stand by both - you cannot say that tackle caused his groin injury. Please provide medical proof of that. He played on so could have happened in the tackle, or afterwards.
    My opinion is that is wasn't a yellow for a first offence. If Rakitic had already committed a similar offence then it is a yellow.

In case you are unaware, referees do work on a tallying up system too, hence Fabinho getting booked.

You are getting way too worked up.

By reading this, it would seem that you think that a first foul is ok..........if you go to ground and dont win the ball, its almost always a yellow card.

Replays of a tackle will indicate whether the tackle has something to do with an injury......if the knee is pointing one way, and the foot is pointing another way, that is pretty obvious (to most I would imagine), that it had some effect on the groin, and, hence, the tackle had an influence on the groin injury suffered

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you're talking about the League or FA cups - we certainly don't.

Give me a a PL title tilt and advancing deep in the CL knockouts any year over a meaningless tin pot.

Why do you think it's one or the other? This "tin pot trophy" stuff is actually mortifying to read on this thread, you would think we are winning trophies every single year the way some people go on.

We should pay the FA Cup respect next year and give it a good go. 7 years and counting with no trophies, 13 and counting no FA Cup. Those are not good statistics for a club like Liverpool.

Seasons like this one won't happen forever. We won't always have a team that's as good as this one. When you're good, put the trophies in the cabinet. This team is more than good enough to compete in the FA Cup without it having a detrimental affect on the league or champions league.

We can start talking about tin pot competitions when we're consistently winning things and end this trophy drought.

By reading this, it would seem that you think that a first foul is ok..........if you go to ground and dont win the ball, its almost always a yellow card.

Replays of a tackle will indicate whether the tackle has something to do with an injury......if the knee is pointing one way, and the foot is pointing another way, that is pretty obvious (to most I would imagine), that it had some effect on the groin, and, hence, the tackle had an influence on the groin injury suffered

no, I don't think that tackle warranted a yellow card as a first offence. If he had been warned previously then that changes things as it was not the best challenge.
    Can you provide stats on the amount of times a player has gone to ground, not won the ball and been booked V. not been booked as I would be surprised if your above statement holds firm?
    Certainly in the game last night, and the Spurs V Ajax game that was not the case at all.

You're right, but you cannot be definitive. Perhaps running it off made it worse whereas going off could've made it better.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Very hard to compute what happened last night.

Hindsight is wonderful and all that jazz but it is hard to accept that Trent picked up an award only a few days ago for being the best right back in the league and then gets dropped for a champions league semi final and is replaced by a centre back coming off a long layoff.

We attack with our full backs, they are vital to how we play. I do accept that Trent tends to look nervy in some big games and got a few roastings down his wing in previous weeks but ultimately we lost an avenue of attack down the right wing when we took him out as well as losing his set piece delivery’s etc

Wijnaldums position was just bizarre also. I understand Klopps hand was forced a bit with the Firmino injury but don’t think an away game to Barcelona in the champions league is a good game to go experimenting with positions

On the flip side though we played well for the most part. Felt we numbed the atmosphere in the second half when we dominated possession and we looked well placed to find an equalizer but poor finishing cost us.

The only positive swing I can put on a heavy defeat is that maybe just maybe you could argue that 3-0 is a dangerous lead, at 2-0 Barca know it’s still not over but at 3-0 there’s the (slight) possibility that Barca may think the tie is dead and underestimate the away leg. Score an early goal and who knows, stranger things have happened

There is nobody in our squad who can replace Firmino. Nobody else brings what he does to the squad.

He is one of the first names on the team sheet every week, if he's fit he plays. So when he's not fit, experimentation is inevitable. Sturridge is not good enough full stop and Origi, while a fine squad player, is not someone you want to be starting against Barcelona.

Hard to be critical of this call. Shame really about the timing of his injury.

I don't think we can be critical of the team selection at all really. TAA would have been roasted by Messi. In hindsight Gomez was rubbish, but this is not Klopp's fault.

We dominated the ball for large parts of the game so the selection was working fine, we just got undone by two moments of brilliance and one defensive mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's a pity Ox wasn't up to speed fitness wise as he would have been the ideal replacement for Keita last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

He got treatment on the 22nd minute stood up holding his groin and was whingeing in pain and then went off in the 24th minute,

Strangle enough that tackle, the Busquets one on Fab and the shirt tug on Mane the ref was looking straight at all 3 , If he didn't see them he shouldn't be refereeing ,

I reckon the Busquets was the worst of them no idea how he didn't get a yellow and that would have changed his game as he constantly makes fouls ,

So Barca get the rub of the green from a referee in a CL semi final - yea like that has never happened before (looking at you Tom Henning Ovrebo).

I do hope you don't expect anything different in the second leg as Barca are still the darlings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Must be said too that matip has been absolutely immense for months now, I'd go so far as to say even better then vd in last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

awec wrote: »
    Why do you think it's one or the other? This "tin pot trophy" stuff is actually mortifying to read on this thread, you would think we are winning trophies every single year the way some people go on.

We should pay the FA Cup respect next year and give it a good go. 7 years and counting with no trophies, 13 and counting no FA Cup. Those are not good statistics for a club like Liverpool.

Seasons like this one won't happen forever. We won't always have a team that's as good as this one. When you're good, put the trophies in the cabinet. This team is more than good enough to compete in the FA Cup without it having a detrimental affect on the league or champions league.

We can start talking about tin pot competitions when we're consistently winning things and end this trophy drought.

I agree that we should pay the FA Cup respect, but the reality is, we don't really have the squad to compete for everything in the same way.

City have done what they've done simply because of their hilariously favourable cup draws. They could play a mish-mash no problem and get through every round of the League Cup and FA Cup. If we received the same draws, I'm confident in saying we'd likely be in the FA Cup Final now.

You have to prioritise slightly. But you also need a bit of luck.

You must remember, our squad is quite thin. Origi is next in line up front after our regular front 3. That's not good enough. City, by comparison, have Jesus and Sane next in line.

I'm with you that this team needs a trophy. But it's not so simple. We'll likely end the season with a points tally that beats every team in history bar the one we're up against and last year's City team. We had an unusually dry night in front of goal against the greatest player of all time in his pomp last night. And that's 2 trophies gone. Then we got beaten in the domestic cups by Chelsea and a Hazard wonder goal, and a tough game away at Wolves. They were games where we rotated no more than anyone else did.

Shít just happens. It's not through a lack of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

awec wrote: »

In the League Cup we gave it a good go against Chelsea, lost 2 - 1 to a moment of Hazard magic. They went on to the final.

In the FA Cup we nearly got a result away at Wolves, again lost 2 - 1 to the eventual semi - finalists.

It wasn't like we waived the white flag in either. Sure, we rotated the squad but they were very tough games with bigger tests around them both times. I'm satisfied with the approach.

As far as your general point goes, after the club made the decision to sack Dalglish following two Cup finals and the first trophy in 6 years at the time then it made it clear that our priorities are league form and a consistent base of challenging in Europe. I am okay with that prioritisation. Honestly the cups are dead. They have been reduced to bit part sideshows of the domestic season: with flagging attendances, second string sides and a general loss of interest. UEFA realised how things were changing and smartly reacted by offering a path to the big show from their lessor competition, something that preserved its relevance and importance. The only way the FA Cup will ever return to its central place in the English footballing calendar is if a European Cup spot was offered to the winners, and that is fundamentally never going to happen.

Klopp's strategic approach to the season has us on 91 points with two games to go and in a European Cup semi final. It was the right approach. I will hope we rotate our XI in both domestic cups again next year and rest key players where necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can't wait until Liverpool have one two world class players for every position :) Only another two summer windows and all the pieces in the jigsaw will finally be in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Must be said too that matip has been absolutely immense for months now, I'd go so far as to say even better then vd in last few months

Wouldn't go that far but he's certainly moved well ahead of Lovren by now. Matip is a good defender. He just couldn't stay fit long enough to get a run of games under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

I can't wait until Liverpool have one two world class players for every position :) Only another two summer windows and all the pieces in the jigsaw will finally be in place.

i cant wait until we start learning some dark arts.... Early on last night when Barca players were escaping yellow cards, we should have been rolling around and pressuring the ref

Surely we have to learn sooner or later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Agree said it last night Matip has been the best defender at the club over the 6 weeks or so.

Liverpool have probably been the least obstreperous, cunning, snide and "cute" side at CL level for the last 20 years. Just far too nice!

Liverpool have probably been the least obstreperous, cunning, snide and "cute" side at CL level for the last 20 years. Just far too nice!

so true.. I think Klopp would like to win the "proper way" whatever that means.
    Need a few horrible dudes in.. to win at all costs

Yeah but resorting to Ramos type skulduggery means we'd hate ourselves in the morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Its very very unlikely they can go through but ..................A Liverpool goal in the first 20 minutes on Tuesday and god knows what happens, strange things happen on European nights at Anfield ,

I think Salah's miss was the nail in the coffin

The no away goal is the kick in the stones for Liverpool , to get 3 goals is going to very very hard never mind stopping them from scoring. There 12/1 to qualify and I think thats very skinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Very true, we've been far too nice for far too long. Since Suarez left Pool have been lacking a master of the dark arts. Little nips at the ankle, grab the ball to stop quick plays if the whistle blows, get in the refs ear, timewasting, whatever the case may be, just don't see enough of it, and sometimes it's needed, particularly away from home. Still such a young squad, hopefully can become a bit more street smart over time.

The no away goal is the kick in the stones for Liverpool , to get 3 goals is going to very very hard never mind stopping them from scoring. There 12/1 to qualify and I think thats very skinny.

I could see them scoring 3 goals alright. They could easily have had 3 last night sure. But Messi is either going to score or create a goal by himself as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm assuming Sturridge / Moreno / Mignolet / Lallana to leave. I'm also assuming Milner is likely to stay at this point for one more year. That leaves us with something like:

GK: Allison, youth depth

CB: The Man, Matip, Lovren, Gomez

RB: TAA, youth depth / Gomez
    LB: Robertson, youth depth / Milner

MF: Gini, Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Milner, Ox

FW: Firmino, Salah, Mane, Oirigi, Shaqiri, Ox

I'm purposely ignoring younger players in and around the squad or on loan, etc.

If we don't lose any of the core group and Ox regains his fitness over the coming months then we're in pretty good shape. We need fullback / goalkeeper cover but we don't need anything else. This is an excellent position to be in. Any further additions are purely on the basis of want. Obviously the likes of Origi and Shaqiri may want out; and the likes of Salah and Mane could be the subject of concerted interest from Madrid. They are on long term deals though, and you would think we should get one more year from them at least.

We're in as good a shape as we've ever been going into a summer window.

==================

Contrast with 2014:

GK: Mignolet, Johnson

CB: Skrtl, Sakho, Agger (left in summer), Toure (coming to end of career)
    RB: Johnson, Kelly (left in summer)
    LB: Flanagan, Cissokho (left in summer)

CM: Gerrard (coming to end of career), Henderson, Lucas, Allen
    AM: Coutinho, Alberto
    Wings: Sterling, Moses (left in summer)

FW: Suarez (left in summer), Sturridge, Aspas (left in summer)

Hindsight is 20 / 20 but when you actually look at the shape the squad was in after falling short allied to the massive hole Suarez's departure left, the result of the 2014 / 2015 season was to be expected.

===================

I only make the comparison to cheer everyone up today. It's not idle talk that we're in good shape. When you really sit down and look at the squad, their ages, the depth we have it is a reality that we're in excellent shape to keep relevant next year and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Very true, we've been far too nice for far too long. Since Suarez left Pool have been lacking a master of the dark arts. Little nips at the ankle, grab the ball to stop quick plays if the whistle blows, get in the refs ear, timewasting, whatever the case may be, just don't see enough of it, and sometimes it's needed, particularly away from home. Still such a young squad, hopefully can become a bit more street smart over time.

I like that we are not a shower if *****
    United
    PSG
    Barca
    Are woeful at hounding the ref
    Hate that ****

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I like that we are not a shower if *****
    United
    PSG
    Barca
    Are woeful at hounding the ref
    Hate that ****

I do too, but little bits here and there is no harm sometimes I think, certainly didn't hinder Barca last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So you were likely wrong and moved the goal posts

tenor.gif

He’s moved the goalposts and put them down in the same spot, he’s just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Agree 100%....We can criticize that sort of carry on for Madrid and Barca all we want but it’s helping them put trophies in cabinets year after year.

It’s the one aspect of Tuesday’s game I’m dreading the most. From the moment the referee blows his whistle we’ll have Barcelona players play acting and rolling around and whatever else, hard to knock them for it though, it works.

On an unrelated note, delighted Alisson decided against going forward for the corner last night. Any remote chance we have of turning the tie around in the second leg would have been decimated had they done us 4-0 with our keeper at the wrong end of the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'll be honest and say l was never a fan of matip but by god he's been unreal lately, tables, blocks, headers the lot

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm assuming Sturridge / Moreno / Mignolet / Lallana to leave. I'm also assuming Milner is likely to stay at this point for one more year. That leaves us with something like:

If we don't lose any of the core group and Ox regains his fitness over the coming months then we're in pretty good shape. We need fullback / goalkeeper cover but we don't need anything else. This is an excellent position to be in. Any further additions are purely on the basis of want. Obviously the likes of Origi and Shaqiri may want out; and the likes of Salah and Mane could be the subject of concerted interest from Madrid. They are on long term deals though, and you would think we should get one more year from them at least.

We're in as good a shape as we've ever been going into a summer window.

==================

Contrast with 2014:

GK: Mignolet, Johnson

CB: Skrtl, Sakho, Agger (left in summer), Toure (coming to end of career)
    RB: Johnson, Kelly (left in summer)
    LB: Flanagan, Cissokho (left in summer)

CM: Gerrard (coming to end of career), Henderson, Lucas, Allen
    AM: Coutinho, Alberto
    Wings: Sterling, Moses (left in summer)

FW: Suarez (left in summer), Sturridge, Aspas (left in summer)

Hindsight is 20 / 20 but when you actually look at the shape the squad was in after falling short allied to the massive hole Suarez's departure left, the result of the 2014 / 2015 season was to be expected.

===================

I only make the comparison to cheer everyone up today. It's not idle talk that we're in good shape. When you really sit down and look at the squad, their ages, the depth we have it is a reality that we're in excellent shape to keep relevant next year and beyond.

good article... i would like to a see a better backup for Firmino if possible

mada999 wrote: »
    good article... i would like to a see a better backup for Firmino if possible

IMO we need either a world class 10, or a world class goalscoring 9

Last nite showed, to me at least, that we are not clinical enough. Weakeness of the way we play, maybe thats only when Keita, Ox or Lallana dont play, is creativity in the middle 3

Im sure we could play Firmino as a 10 with a world class goalscorer, or Firminio as a 9, with a top class 10 in behind, to add the few % that we are missing.

Maybe changing this weakens us, and we cant have it every way, but I just feel a top class finisher or creator would make a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what was Klopps thinking in dropping TAA and installing Gomez instead. I just dont get it, Gomez is only back from a long injury so surely cant be 110% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whose Youth Depth? Handy utility player to have in the squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp was trying to be too clever to be honest. Playing Gomez, a man who has not played a competitive game for mints, playing Georginio as a no 9.
    It's crazy stuff in hindsight , over confidence. We played them off the park for large amounts of the game, but we lost 3-0. Maybe a less confident approach, to sit deep and make sure they didn't score would have been best. Of course had it been our night we'd have drawn 3-3.

Penalty for Mane
    Milner's chance center of goal
    Firmino off the line
    Salah off the post
    + 5 half chances that never hit target so are not in the stats.

It was their night, at Anfield we beat them easily, it will be a great comeback.
    12-1 to make final, easy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

If we don't lose any of the core group and Ox regains his fitness over the coming months then we're in pretty good shape. We need fullback / goalkeeper cover but we don't need anything else. This is an excellent position to be in. Any further additions are purely on the basis of want.

We've been quite lucky this season with injuries to the front 3, and last night showed how big a factor that might otherwise have proven to be.

We absolutely do need another top class attacker if we want to be serious about maintaining pressure in the league and in Europe against the Mega-clubs.

I'm not saying we will, and I'm not saying you're saying we will, but if we were to go into next season as we are, minus a few players nobody will miss, we'd ostensibly be stronger with Keita and Fabinho settled, Gomez Trent coming along in maturity, a few potential youngers possibly capable of beginning to contribute and AOC back in, but even with that, we could very easily, without being particularly poor, finish the season 2nd on say 86 points with another CL semi-final exit.

We absolutely need to be proactive about recruitment because we need not just more depth and quality for the good times (because that's what we've seen this season and are as of now coming up short), but to smooth out the potential bad times, where you have a VVD, Salah and a midfielder out injured for 4 months.

Against the kind of opposition we're facing we're going to have to raise expectations of how strong this squad needs to be to near absurd levels, or accept needing an awful lot of luck to bridge the gap.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know what was Klopps thinking in dropping TAA and installing Gomez instead. I just dont get it, Gomez is only back from a long injury so surely cant be 110% yet.

Probably thought he needed a more defensive minded full-back but Gomez had started what? One game since he came back from a 4 month out injury. Second game being Barcelona away was not ideal for a fella who doesn't look up to match sharpness yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We are short upfront as it is. Lose Sturridge (definite) & Origi we will need replacements for them

IMO we need either a world class 10, or a world class goalscoring 9

Last nite showed, to me at least, that we are not clinical enough. Weakeness of the way we play, maybe thats only when Keita, Ox or Lallana dont play, is creativity in the middle 3

Im sure we could play Firmino as a 10 with a world class goalscorer, or Firminio as a 9, with a top class 10 in behind, to add the few % that we are missing.

Maybe changing this weakens us, and we cant have it every way, but I just feel a top class finisher or creator would make a big difference

I wouldn't mess around with the front three at all but we need another quality option up there. Preferably someone versatile who can play wide or more centrally.

Klopp was trying to be too clever to be honest. Playing Gomez, a man who has not played a competitive game for mints, playing Georginio as a no 9.
    It's crazy stuff in hindsight , over confidence. We played them off the park for large amounts of the game, but we lost 3-0. Maybe a less confident approach, to sit deep and make sure they didn't score would have been best. Of course had it been our night we'd have drawn 3-3.

Penalty for Mane
    Firmino off the line
    Salah off the post

It was their night, at Anfield we beat them easily, it will be a great comeback.

Didn't see it but my mate said the price for Pool to do the double is 100/1, surely worth a fiver for a bit of interest :P 7/2 to win the Prem, 19/1 to win the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If you're backing them to make the final, you're betting backing them to win the CL. The arb would be similar or better returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TAA vacates the position and Jurgen wanted someone who would stay back,
    Klopp didn't want Gomez to get forward like Trent he wanted him to make the channel between Matip and Gomez more stable ,

Gomez did ok in the respect , the goals where not his fault ,

Trent is a kid to and probably needed a rest,

I don't think the team selection was the problem, The problem was Barca took there chances and we didn't , we played well as a team ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Penalty for Mane
    Firmino off the line
    Salah off the post

Well you pointed it out yourself - on another night it might have worked out in spectacular fashion had we been clinical.

It's a fine margin between saying Klopp got it wrong and Klopp's a genius.

Penalty for Mane
    Firmino off the line
    Salah off the post

Again team selection was fine, we played very well as a team ,

The only difference was Barcelona took there chance's and we didn't

The 2nd goal was absolute fluke against the run of play and Messi free kick as great as it was Alisson wall was set up a foot inside his post when you should always be a man outside the post,

Penalty for Mane
    Firmino off the line
    Salah off the post

I dont have an issue with Gomez for TAA. I suspect Klopp was working on it for weeks....at least I hope he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Probably thought he needed a more defensive minded full-back but Gomez had started what? One game since he came back from a 4 month out injury. Second game being Barcelona away was not ideal for a fella who doesn't look up to match sharpness yet.

That is my thinking too, especially as we knew the game was going to be played at a ferocious pace on such a huge pitch. I wonder does the change of Gomez over TAA tell us that Klopp doesnt 100% trust TAA not to get caught out of position. Because I'm sure he could have just easily told him not to press forward as much as he does in the PL if shoring up the right hand side was an concern. It was bad enough not having Bobby but unsettling a settled team further with Gomez over TAA is a bit of a head scratcher.

That is my thinking too, especially as we knew the game was going to be played at a ferocious pace on such a huge pitch. I wonder does the change of Gomez over TAA tell us that Klopp doesnt 100% trust TAA not to get caught out of position. Because I'm sure he could have just easily told him not to press forward as much as he does in the PL if shoring up the right hand side was an concern. It was bad enough not having Bobby but unsettling a settled team further with Gomez over TAA is a bit of a head scratcher.

I don't get the big deal the change worked fine, People are always looking to blame the manger, every team makes changes,

The issues last night was our finishing , VVD not following Suarez and Alisson poorly setting up a wall, Very small details that Barca took advantage off,

I don't get the big deal the change worked fine, People are always looking to blame the manger, every team makes changes,

The issues last night was our finishing , VVD not following Suarez and Alisson poorly setting up a wall, Very small details that Barca took advantage off,

Finishing the big issue.....defending against Messi and Co is tough enough...maybe the wall placement wasnt perfect but where the ball ended up was pretty much impossible.......pretty sure the free kick was above the height of the ball as well, meaning positioning irrelevant

Finishing the big issue.....defending against Messi and Co is tough enough...maybe the wall placement wasnt perfect but where the ball ended up was pretty much impossible.......pretty sure the free kick was above the height of the ball as well, meaning positioning irrelevant

The free kick clipped Gomez on shoulder who didn't jump ,
    They don't mention it on TV because they never want to say anything regarding a Messi goal to take away form it,

even more annoying if Fab had of let Messi run on he wasn't getting on the end of the poor pass by Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I dont have an issue with Gomez for TAA. I suspect Klopp was working on it for weeks....at least I hope he was

Gomez made an excellent challenge on Messi just inside the box early on. I thought he had a good game. Matip and Fabinho were even better and Robertson and Salah also had good games.

Rest were so-so

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement