Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

GSPfan wrote: »
    I did, see below....

“Because United going after a bulk of youth talent who haven’t quite reached the general publics radar would be a fresh idea for United. Arguably Martial was an attempt to do that but Fletcher is suggesting to go all in on that idea, to do that on mass.”

Now where’s that fresh idea I asked you for? Please?

But that wasn't even what Darren Fletcher said. He said the "best" young players in Europe. You wouldn't really be the one deflecting, would you?

But even so, why do you say general public? Is the general public suddenly the ones United are competing with to buy these starlets???

I'll spell it out for you one last time. How "fresh" Darren Fletcher's "idea" was in that clip, and, what ideas about football that I have are two completely separate topics. They in no way affect each other. So trying to defend one, by asking about the other, makes literally no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

MaceFace wrote: »
    Would they?

Yep. That’s the fresh idea.

Would you have any fresh ideas? If you don’t, that’s ok but I’ve been asking and they are hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho’s goals per game this season 1.6

Ole’s goals per game this season 1.7

#attackingmanager

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    But that wasn't even what Darren Fletcher said. He said the "best" young players in Europe. You wouldn't really be the one deflecting, would you?

But even so, why do you say general public? Is the general public suddenly the ones United are competing with to buy these starlets???

I'll spell it out for you one last time. How "fresh" Darren Fletcher's "idea" was in that clip, and, what ideas about football that I have are two completely separate topics. They in no way affect each other. So trying to defend one, by asking about the other, makes literally no sense.

I’m not answering any more questions because you won’t even answer one.

I’ll answer all your questions after you answer my one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are being totally unreasonable and it is painful to read.

:D

Good lord man, it's ok to admit that you might have got it wrong in jumping to Darren Fletcher's defense you know, he'll never be any the wiser ;)

#attackingmanager

Is there anything to be said for taking the shackles off, letting the players express themselves?

You are being totally unreasonable and it is painful to read.

If only there was something you could do about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Take a step back from the disappointment and realise that this is the first time post Fergie that the team look like they aren’t going to achieve top 4 and we aren’t sacking the manager. That’s a good thing. The fact Ols being let down badly by this group is a good thing now because he is way too proud to let this continue. He seems to have good relationships with previous players and it looks like publicly they are all advising that this group of players are rotten and we need to make big changes.

No I’m not happy things have gone sour and I’d much rather be celebrating a top 3 or 4 position right now instead of looking at the positives of a bad situation. But we’ve been waiting for something to happen to change this cycle of shness we have been witnessing for years and I have faith that Olunnar Solskjaer is the man to do it.

in fairness no matter how poor you think Ole is doing you can't land failure to make top 4 on him , when you hired him you gave everybody else a 10 point head start .
    Even with this poor run of form he is running at top 4 pace since he took the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

#attackingmanager

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    :D

Good lord man, it's ok to admit that you might have got it wrong in jumping to Darren Fletcher's defense you know, he'll never be any the wiser ;)

I know but how would I live with myself!

Fresh idea?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry to add myself into the Fletcher thing, the benefit of getting more former players involved, especially people like Fletcher who grew up at United, would be to help the club have football people helping with making decsions on how the football side should operate. They would help the club set standards, criteria to be met and make sure the money side are informed when making decisions.

United cannot continue to have an approach that is so disconnected from manager to manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's taken Liverpool nearly thirty years to put in place the structures and proper personnel to create a team capable of winning the title. The warning signs are there for United at the moment - too many mediocre players, not enough talent coming through the youth ranks and a lack of judgement and expertise with regard to footballing matters at board level typified, I believe, by the appointment of Solksjaer and the manner in which that appointment was carried out. You don't entrust a complete novice with a job like that. You appoint a proven winner whose star is in the ascendancy as opposed to the likes of Van Gaal and Mourinho both of whose best days were long behind them before they even arrived.

If only there was something you could do about it!

Tell me just one thing that I could do about it? Just one? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

chicorytip wrote: »
    You appoint a proven winner whose star is in the ascendancy as opposed to the likes of Van Gaal and Mourinho both of whose best days were long behind them before they even arrived.

huh?

Jose had won the prem the year before he joined.

Are you saying the whole footballing world and PL evolved so much in 12 months he was past it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM_7 wrote: »
    Sorry to add myself into the Fletcher thing, the benefit of getting more former players involved, especially people like Fletcher who grew up at United, would be to help the club have football people helping with making decsions on how the football side should operate. They would help the club set standards, criteria to be met and make sure the money side are informed when making decisions.

United cannot continue to have an approach that is so disconnected from manager to manager.

Yes.

If the people we add have genuine input and control over football decisions, it can only improve from where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

All of this shíte being thrown at Ole before he's even had a chance to bring in one player and have a pre-season just shows the level of impatience that Fergie literally warned about in his leaving speech. That lasted 9 months or whatever it was and here we are where a manager doesn't even get 1 month before being questioned, despite clearly outlining what the issues are in each press conference and not hiding in any way.

You reap what you sow Ed I guess...

Tell me just one thing that I could do about it? Just one? :rolleyes:

Lets stop all this flirting. Shut up and kiss me.

It's taken Liverpool nearly thirty years to put in place the structures and proper personnel to create a team capable of winning the title. The warning signs are there for United at the moment - too many mediocre players, not enough talent coming through the youth ranks and a lack of judgement and expertise with regard to footballing matters at board level typified, I believe, by the appointment of Solksjaer and the manner in which that appointment was carried out. You don't entrust a complete novice with a job like that. You appoint a proven winner whose star is in the ascendancy as opposed to the likes of Van Gaal and Mourinho both of whose best days were long behind them before they even arrived.

30 years is misleading.

You should only really be considering the current ownership. What came before them is not part of the rebuild and improvement they have over seen.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    huh?

Are you saying the whole footballing world and PL evolved so much in 12 months he was past it?

People like to rewrite history. Here's one. The only team both José and Zlatan didn't win at least one league title with since 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Paul Pogba named in PFA Team of the Year

:eek::confused::o

py2006 wrote: »
    Paul Pogba named in PFA Team of the Year

:eek::confused::o

This is brand new information!

Big, if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

#attackingmanager

Jesus give the man a chance. Hasnt even had one transfer window to address the issues.

Talk about fickle fans!!

• Advertisement

Glad you already know and I hope it makes you feel like The Man for highlighting it.

It was new to me and shocking so was hoping to get some views. I mean, he gets to nod and Hazard doesn't?? wtf

Glad you already know and I hope it makes you feel like The Man for highlighting it.

It was new to me and shocking so was hoping to get some views. I mean, he gets to nod and Hazard doesn't?? wtf

16 goals though init? Think he's going for 20 by season end...

Yeah, who think to run a cursory eye over discussion in the thread before posting. Especially when posting news that came out a while before you look to introduce it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah, who think to run a cursory eye over discussion in the thread before posting. Especially when posting news that came out a while before you look to introduce it

He zerked it for God's sake, there really is no need to be so aggressive about it

astradave wrote: »
    He zerked it for God's sake, there really is no need to be so aggressive about it

Not until he had a pop at me for what I felt was a light hearted jab at the repost the same as when people quote a post as a zerks.

If someone is gonna get aggressive with me, I'll join them on that path.

• Advertisement

Pogba is down as a midfielder in voting. Hazard and son are down as forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

limnam wrote: »
    huh?

Liam O wrote: »
    People like to rewrite history. Here's one. The only team both José and Zlatan didn't win at least one league title with since 2003?

Jose's problem was the standards he expected from players. He challenged them and challenged the board to back him and they didnt, that was the root cause of Jose's demise.

Jose
    - Won at least a league or Cl at every club he managed except United
    - Won League Cup and Europa Cup first season in charge - best of any manager since SAF retired
    - Got club to 2 CL twice in a row, first since SAF retired
    - Got United to 2nd spot in league, highest since SAF retired
    - The two seasons the club supported him, the club improved either with cup success of league growth

And yet, he is the accepted problem? He looked more like a disgruntled employee by the time the season started, what did he say "call me coach". . The season was destined to fail when Woodward failed to support him in his challenge of players and in the transfer market.

Ole was hired to "make the players happy" or some sh*t like that. Now wonder the club can fumble on as it has with people happy to keep attaching more responsibility to managers. It should be reclassified as a coach/Human shield role. The club is a mess, the resources have been wasted by owners/woodward who have no footballing plan and lack the competency to run it. Doesnt matter what manager or players are brought in while they continue down this headless chicken cluster f**k strategy.

Liam O wrote: »
    16 goals though init? Think he's going for 20 by season end...

11 assists as well and creates plenty of chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If someone is gonna get aggressive with me, I'll join them on that path.
    Wrong attitude. Be more like Ghandi. Make the world a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

What Utd need now is stability and accept that there is a huge gulf in class between where they are now and particularly City. That and a realization that they won't be challenging for the the title in the next 3 years minimum.
    Accept that and then focus on just making progress. It doesn't matter how slow the progress is, as long as it is progress.

Regardless of what happens, the manager needs 3 years minimum. If he was good enough 3 months ago, he is good enough now, unless there is something demonstrably wrong (e.g. Moyes/Hodgson/Villas Boas/Staunton/Hiddink/Scolari).
    If Ole is to be the manager at the start of next season, he needs at least 3 full seasons regardless of what happens as long as there is progress.

The fans need to accept that Ole won't win the title in the next 2 seasons no matter how much money he is given as he won't be able to recruit good enough players. Accept that CL is not certain and allow the club and management team the freedom to completely rebuild without having to throw it all away when it doesn't happen quick enough and start all over again.

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba is down as a midfielder in voting. Hazard and son are down as forwards.

But Pogba was awful under Mourinho and only had a handful of decent games when Ole took over. I know I am stating the obvious here but surely there are more deserving midfielders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

In fairness to the player's that voted for Paul the Apologist, they must have not noticed he was playing and very obviously looked at his stats, based on stats he's a shoe in :), couldnt make it up, his consistent inconsistency being rewarded.

But Pogba was awful under Mourinho and only had a handful of decent games when Ole took over. I know I am stating the obvious here but surely there are more deserving midfielders?

But he wasnt awful...

He was nominated for utd player of the month for

August
    October
    December
    January
    February

And he won it in december.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Are players obliged to do a certain amount of interviews?

If not I’d not put a player in front of the camera again until we sort ourselves out, the pathetic “we are united” stuff they regurgitate every single week is just embarrassing now and an insult to the fans who pay in to watch.

Also there is no chance we get in 5/6 first XI players in the summer, it’ll be 3 max, very worrying because Ole/whoever is manager next season is basically going to be dealing the same sorry bunch. A huge amount of pressure on whoever we buy to hit the ground running.

But he wasnt awful...

He was nominated for utd player of the month for

August
    October
    December
    January
    February

And he won it in december.

our popular player was nominated for a popularity contest that is built by the social medium team to drive retweets and likes and social engagement.

Yep. Cast iron defence of his performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally as a Spurs fan I don't think Pogba is worthy of his PFA 11 nomination.

our popular player was nominated for a popularity contest that is built by the social medium team to drive retweets and likes and social engagement.

Yep. Cast iron defence of his performances.

Hes not too popular if you read boards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Inquitus wrote: »
    Personally as a Spurs fan I don't think Pogba is worthy of his PFA 11 nomination.

No one honestly does.

Hes not too popular if you read boards!!

If you look at twitter, which is what is really important to MUPLC, he is very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know if the stadium speakers blared out "Glory Glory Man United" at the end of the game last evening?

I was at a gig and didnt get to see it.

I think the sooner they drop that chant at the end the better.

This season, Paul Pogba ranks 1st for United in:

🥇 goals/xGoals
    🥇 assists/xAssists
    🥇 goal-involvements
    🥇 xGChain
    🥇 chances cheated
    🥇 dribbles
    🥇 touches
    🥇 passing chains
    🥇 progressive passes
    🥇 through balls
    🥇 duels won
    🥇 distance covered

This season, Paul Pogba ranks 1st for United in:

�� goals/xGoals
    �� assists/xAssists
    �� goal-involvements
    �� xGChain
    �� chances cheated
    �� dribbles
    �� touches
    �� passing chains
    �� progressive passes
    �� through balls
    �� duels won
    �� distance covered

Cool.

United have been poor to a man for the majority of the season. Our most talented player, being first in stats doesn't mean he has played to his best, or to a higher standard than other midfielders at other clubs.

Cool.

United have been poor to a man for the majority of the season. Our most talented player, being first in stats doesn't mean he has played to his best, or to a higher standard than other midfielders at other clubs.

Defo hasnt played to his best. Like de gea and a few others in the squad, if we had a few better players in the team, we would be in a much better position

Defo hasnt played to his best. Like de gea and a few others in the squad, if we had a few better players in the team, we would be in a much better position

I agree.

But trying to argue that he merits a PFA spot is insane.

• Advertisement

I agree.

But trying to argue that he merits a PFA spot is insane.

Personally i would have had son in his place but he is down as an attacker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement