Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

MD1990 wrote: »
    I wouldn't include Cork in that.

Style of play very poor to watch.

Still better than everyone else in the league -style is over rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I wouldn't include Cork in that.

Style of play very poor to watch.

And yet people are coming in droves to do just that. Average attendances not far off 5,000, despite so many enforced changes on fixture dates, already a sellout and a near sellout, about 60% bigger crowds than the second best supported side this season.

But yeah, sh*te football, nobody would want to watch us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jesus Cork fans are very touchy about their style of play :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

:)

The attendances figures don’t lie. But everything is relative. Proportionally to the population Dublin clubs should have much bigger attendances than anyone else. Dundalk should be only 1/4 of Corks.

For the population Sligo get terrific attendances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

When a poster goes on and on....it can get tiresome. City are clearly not playing the free flowing style of last year but they are not a route 1 style only team either.
    But it's easier for some posters to play one tune all the time, taxes their brain less.

If this is accurate ( and it’s ball park anyway) Sligo are punching above their weight attendance wise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Apologies NIMAN Derry is not included but it should slot in somewhere beteeen Limerick and Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

joeysoap wrote: »
    If this is accurate ( and it’s ball park anyway) Sligo are punching above their weight attendance wise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Apologies NIMAN Derry is not included but it should slot in somewhere beteeen Limerick and Galway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_settlements_on_the_island_of_Ireland_by_population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

:)

The attendances figures don’t lie. But everything is relative. Proportionally to the population Dublin clubs should have much bigger attendances than anyone else. Dundalk should be only 1/4 of Corks.

For the population Sligo get terrific attendances.

In fairness with Dublin, there's sort of a feeling that they get lost in a crowd. There are other things like more big finals, big gigs etc., that league clubs are down the list. There are more non-locals living there as well, that'd have no connection with the teams there. With smaller towns, it's nearly easier in some ways, because when you get a big match, it's a really big event for everyone and the whole town is behind you. When we have Dub players with City, they always mention how people on the street recognise them. It rarely if ever happens up there.

In saying that, the Dublin clubs should still be doing better. Their figures also get skewed by large away crowds that other clubs don't get. The likes of Pats, Rovers and Bohs can probably count on 500-1,000 away fans for their derbies, of which they have four home ones each this year. That's a huge boost. For clubs like City, our crowds are nearly exclusively home fans. Rovers always bring a few hundred, Dundalk have as well the last few years and Waterford brought a big number the first game. Other than that, you'd be lucky to have a hundred in the away end, when the crowd might still be 4,000+. There were about 50 Limerick fans on a Saturday afternoon the weekend before last for a Munster "derby"!

Sligo are an anomaly in attendance figures, the percentage of the town that they can get to matches even when they're struggling at the wrong end of the table is amazing. The first final in the new Lansdowne, they had about 12,000-15,000 fans. That's about 75% of Sligo town!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

With all the money Dundalk got from their European run back in the day they should be dominating Irish football its a tribute to Johnny C that he beat them to the league and cup last year as well as being up there again this year all on a shoe string budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Zico ! wrote: »
    With all the money Dundalk got from their European run back in the day they should be dominating Irish football its a tribute to Johnny C that he beat them to the league and cup last year as well as being up there again this year all on a shoe string budget

His pulling power is Amazing as he can get the top players in the country playing for next to nothing. I hear Sheppard is playing for fifty euro a week and all the Clonakilty sausages he can eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Sligo are an anomaly in attendance figures, the percentage of the town that they can get to matches even when they're struggling at the wrong end of the table is amazing. The first final in the new Lansdowne, they had about 12,000-15,000 fans. That's about 75% of Sligo town!

I’d say the simple fact that team is called Sligo Rovers helps too. Anybody from the county of Sligo could cheer for them and not feel weird. They’re still cheering for ‘Sligo’. Contrast that with someone from Ardee cheering on Drogheda, bit of a disconnect there. It’s good marketing, whether by design or fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not unlike the Blahs proclaiming the felon in their ranks is innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Omackeral wrote: »
    I’d say the simple fact that team is called Sligo Rovers helps too. Anybody from the county of Sligo could cheer for them and not feel weird. They’re still cheering for ‘Sligo’. Contrast that with someone from Ardee cheering on Drogheda, bit of a disconnect there. It’s good marketing, whether by design or fortune.

Think about us!

We have 2 teams in the city, one seen as nationalist, the other unionist. Which is complete balls of course, but Derry City I would guess struggle to gain any attending fans from the unionist community. The location of the Brandywell also is an issue, and I think if it was in a more 'neutral' location we would get a lot more people at games.

Having said that, since the revamped stadium opened this season, attendances are definitely up. I'd say we are averaging 2500 at least, with quite a few of the games 3000+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    And yet people are coming in droves to do just that. Average attendances not far off 5,000, despite so many enforced changes on fixture dates, already a sellout and a near sellout, about 60% bigger crowds than the second best supported side this season.

But yeah, sh*te football, nobody would want to watch us.

Good for the club. Great attendances.

I think their style of play is poor.
    Seems to really annoy some on here.

Zico ! wrote: »

Dundalk run a tight ship, and while they certainly made €3m or so in Europe the then owners said they would put the long term interests of the club over a spending spree. (Bohs, Shels and to a lesser desire Rovers spring to mind). Dundalk survived by the skin of their teeth, we don’t forget that.

The new owners have stated that the club must live within the budget, full stop. ( ok, it’s generous by LOI budgets).

Anyway we are happy with the players SK has, and more than happy with the style of play he instills in the players he has.

I wouldn’t describe the budget at City as shoestring :pac:

* in 2015 if my information was correct Dundalk had the 4th highest budget, behind Rovers, Pats and Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

* in 2015 if my information was correct Dundalk had the 4th highest budget, behind Rovers, Pats and Limerick
    In a season where Limerick were relegated, Incompetence ‘R’ Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

would ya believe me if I told you that a few of us fans are actually from the county, since the first automobile arrived here in sligo about 10 years ago we can now travel to the matches, the journey on the ass and cart was laborious (on both man and beast)

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Not unlike the Blahs proclaiming the felon in their ranks is innocent.

Post one reliable source showing what he did. I’ll make it easy for you: you can’t.

It was misreported in the newspapers and he successfully sued them and all the articles were taken down. All the evidence is there, just like it is with your shocking style of play.

Continue to bury your head in the sand though, I understand how hard it’d be to lose that broken record :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know where you are getting your information from, but what I heard was that Limerick's budget was originally high (don't know how high in comparison to others) but was then cut significantly not long before the season started - with the result that we had to call up players who had already agreed to deals and tell them that offer was no longer on the table.

Post one reliable source showing what he did. I’ll make it easy for you: you can’t.

It was misreported in the newspapers and he successfully sued them and all the articles were taken down. All the evidence is there, just like it is with your shocking style of play.

Continue to bury your head in the sand though, I understand how hard it’d be to lose that broken record :rolleyes:

He pleaded guilty and was convicted still a felon. By the ways these articles are still available for anyone that wants to read them.

• Advertisement

He pleaded guilty and was convicted still a felon. By the ways these articles are still available for anyone that wants to read them.

Still available through archives, because they got removed, because they weren’t accurate.

Do you think newspapers often take down articles about criminals unless it has been proven that they were false? I’ll answer that one for you as well: No. No, they don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Why did he plead guilty then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can you provide evidence that he succesfully sued them for them being incorrect? I'd like to see it if all the evidence is there. There's plenty of archived sites that have the original story up. Articles can be taken down for any number of reasons and since there was 3 people involved it could be about any of them or not at all. If you accuse someone of not having evidence you'll have to come up with something to counter that not just 'I'll answer that for you etc' stuff.

Anyway don't think this discussion is gonna last long here.

Corholio wrote: »
    Can you provide evidence that he succesfully sued them for them being incorrect? I'd like to see it if all the evidence is there. There's plenty of archived sites that have the original story up. Articles can be taken down for any number of reasons and since there was 3 people involved it could be about any of them or not at all. If you accuse someone of not having evidence you'll have to come up with something to counter that not just 'I'll answer that for you etc' stuff.

Anyway don't think this discussion is gonna last long here.[/QUOTE]

It always ends the same way Christy Browne and the other Waterford fan play the innocent card and never provide any thing to back up the claim.

bot43 wrote: »
    Why did he plead guilty then?

He pleaded guilty to a different crime. He had consensual sex with his 14 year old girlfriend when he was 16 and was done for statutory rape.

His two friends were the one’s who pinned her down and raped her and it was falsely reported that he was a part of that. Hence the deletion of all the articles.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As far as I understand he was sueing them for misreporting what the crime was, ie he did plead guilty, but not to what they said he di.

It's news to me that it he was successful.

The articles were taken down under the right to be forgotten rule as he was a minor at the time of the crime. This predates his own legal action.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Anyway don't think this discussion is gonna last long here.[/QUOTE]

It always ends the same way Christy Browne and the other Waterford fan play the innocent card and never provide any thing to back up the claim.

In fairness it hasn't been all or most Waterford fans. I remember some here stating that they were quite uncomfortable with the signing. Unfair to state it across the board about their fans.

He pleaded guilty to a different crime. He had consensual sex with his 14 year old girlfriend when he was 16 and was done for statutory rape.

His two friends were the one’s who pinned her down and raped her and it was falsely reported that he was a part of that. Hence the deletion of all the articles.

Very specific explanation. Any evidence of this? Or just pub talk?

I was under the impression the right to be forgotten rule had something to do with it.

Evidence of him suing the newspapers, taken from the High Court website: https://imgur.com/a/eFeOvtF

Evidence of him suing the newspapers, taken from the High Court website: https://imgur.com/a/eFeOvtF

This proves nothing. It's only a list of cases.

• Advertisement

This proves nothing. It's only a list of cases.

So you think he's suing them for the good of his health?

Again just a list of cases this does not add any weight to your claims.

You said he sued them and won and that's why the articles were removed. They were almost certainly removed because of the EU right to be forgotten rule, unless there's evidence he won those cases and got them removed. Not being smart just genuinely interested to know if there is. You did say all the evidence was there.

You said he sued them and won and that's why the articles were removed. They were almost certainly removed because of the EU right to be forgotten rule, unless there's evidence he won those cases and got them removed. Not being smart just genuinely interested to know if there is. You did say all the evidence was there.

Yeah I think I was wrong about that, the legal proceedings took place after the articles were removed.

The fact remains that he is suing various newspapers for misreporting his case, as shown on the high court website. I don't know when we'll know the outcome of these cases but to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, these are not the actions of a man who is guilty.

It's a shame that people choose to slander a person's character because of a football rivalry, especially when it's clearly not as black and white as people like to make out. He's still a person after all. I hope no one in this thread ever has to deal with a miscarriage of justice like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He had consensual sex with his 14 year old girlfriend

You can’t have consensual sex with a child, especially with your two mates there too. Just an FYI.

You can’t have consensual sex with a child, especially with your two mates there too. Just an FYI.

While technically you're obviously correct that's just semantics. He was also a child, if you're gonna be locking up everyone who's having underage sex in this country half of the teenage population would be put in jail.

Who said anything about his friends being there?

Yeah I think I was wrong about that, the legal proceedings took place after the articles were removed.

The fact remains that he is suing various newspapers for misreporting his case, as shown on the high court website. I don't know when we'll know the outcome of these cases but to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, these are not the actions of a man who is guilty.

It's a shame that people choose to slander a person's character because of a football rivalry, he's still a person after all. I hope no one in this thread ever has to deal with a miscarriage of justice like that.

Eh, a miscarriage of justice? So the line now is that he was wrongly convicted in a court of law? He pleaded guilty to a crime. You don't have to go to such lengths to defend someone you know. I would have been deeply disturbed had City signed him when it was slightly rumoured during the winter and couldn't have defended it from anything fans had to say about it.

Eh, a miscarriage of justice? So the line now is that he was wrongly convicted in a court of law? He pleaded guilty to a crime. You don't have to go to such lengths to defend someone you know. I would have been deeply disturbed had City signed him when it was slightly rumoured during the winter and couldn't have defended it from anything fans had to say about it.

Miscarriage of justice by the newspapers, poor word choice, I apologise.

I don't know him.

osarusan wrote: »
    Don't know where you are getting your information from, but what I heard was that Limerick's budget was originally high (don't know how high in comparison to others) but was then cut significantly not long before the season started - with the result that we had to call up players who had already agreed to deals and tell them that offer was no longer on the table.
    In a season where Limerick were relegated, Incompetence ‘R’ Us.

From a friend who had some contacts at the club at that time. I suspect( if he we correct) that it was pre season budgets he was talking about. Out of curiosity would Pats have had a big budget in 2015?

Limerick were relegated but bounced back the following year, no problem.

Would the rental of Thomond be included in the budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Just on the whole 'Sligo are getting good attendances' thing, is there's any other largeish area you'd think could have a club?

Kildare and Kilkenny obviously had one and failed. FC Carlow were on the go for a while and could have been going places to the A Championship was scrapped. Kerry and Mayo have a team in the underage setup as do a Cavan/Monaghan partnership. Would be great to see some of these teams sustainable make the step up and really make it a national league feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Limerick seemed to have a bigger budget in 2016.

Signed Greene & kept all there players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's actually a Waterford fan defending Akinade - deluded.

Better hope your players don't plan on hitting Europe on their end of season trip like Bohs lads did... instead of Amsterdam they had to go to Kilkenny due to passport restrictions for a particular striker in their squad at the time! Chaps innocent though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From a friend who had some contacts at the club at that time. I suspect( if he we correct) that it was pre season budgets he was talking about. Out of curiosity would Pats have had a big budget in 2015?

Limerick were relegated but bounced back the following year, no problem.

Would the rental of Thomond be included in the budget?
    rental of Thomond? We were finished in Thomond by the start of the 2015 season, back at Jackman until theMarkets Field was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

There's actually a Waterford fan defending Akinade - deluded.

Better hope your players don't plan on hitting Europe on their end of season trip like Bohs lads did... instead of Amsterdam they had to go to Kilkenny due to passport restrictions for a particular striker in their squad at the time! Chaps innocent though...
    If Dundalk signed him id never go to a match again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

If Dundalk signed him id never go to a match again.
    Get a life... jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Waste of money, went way overboard in order to get back to the Premier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

We also pull fans from North Mayo, South Donegal, Leitrim and Roscommon. Towns like Ballina and Boyle have always provided good support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah any player that stayed was paid the same wage they had in premier but a few lads left like Turner, Faherty and Clarke, replaced by Greene, Kenny and Mulhall so I'd say the wage budget was similar enough.

osarusan wrote: »
    rental of Thomond? We were finished in Thomond by the start of the 2015 season, back at Jackman until theMarkets Field was ready.

And rent for Jackman cost more than Thomond and Markets field from what I heard, was shocked at first but came from someone involved with the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

BOHtox wrote: »
    Just on the whole 'Sligo are getting good attendances' thing, is there's any other largeish area you'd think could have a club?

Kildare and Kilkenny obviously had one and failed. FC Carlow were on the go for a while and could have been going places to the A Championship was scrapped. Kerry and Mayo have a team in the underage setup as do a Cavan/Monaghan partnership. Would be great to see some of these teams sustainable make the step up and really make it a national league feel.

It's never worked and will never work! I don't think there is any appetite for football in Kilkenny or Carlow, they won't get the crowds to sustain a team and the financial backing would have to be big to even try and get a team going. The FAI are the biggest cock block in the League of Ireland. If they relaxed the entry fee we could have a proper Pyramid system like they do up the North but its not financially viable to enter a team into the league at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

I have two quick questions for Bohs fans: where are away fans housed, and can I buy away tickets at Dalymount?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement