Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Saving money due to the stadium maybe?

It does all seem a bit weird that they're not buying anyone.

Majority of time our net spend is mostly nil or negative and we have £50 million from Walker to play with so I do not think it will affect stadium budget.

Wembley has been graveyard for us so far and if we do not manage to buy Mane type player(s) then we will be royally fecked :(.

Having said that, we only need to improve our bench. May be we cannot find better players to replace Sissokho, GKN and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Ormus wrote: »
    Conte is kinda right though. Spurs would love to win a trophy, and if we don't win one soon our best players will start leaving.

But the pressure on Conte and Mourinho to win trophies is even greater. Nothing less is expected.

won more trophies in his first season as Man Utd manager than Spurs have managed in the last 20 years.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    won more trophies in his first season as Man Utd manager than Spurs have managed in the last 20 years.........

ziggyman17 wrote: »

I think you did not get his point hence the stupid dig from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Conte was at it again in another article saying Kane is the complete striker and one player he would love to have in his team. This is supposed to be flattery but what he is really saying is "Spurs should be winning, I am doing phenomenally well to be winning titles with the miserable bunch I have." To be honest it is pretty pathetic and feeble-minded.

I don't think there is pressure on Spurs this year with all home games on neutral ground. The pressure will really come on the following season and especially the season after that. That also coincides with players contracts coming up for renewal if they haven't signed extensions. If we are still making CL in those seasons I would be more than happy.

I don't think it's pathetic and feeble minded. It's part and parcel of being a manager to do press conferences where you're asked to talk about your teams chances. It's natural to compare yourself to other clubs. All managers do it. Poch is constantly saying that we can't compete with the spending power of others.

The pressure on Spurs this year is mostly to do well enough that our best players will stay, and that means getting top 4 again minimum and a trophy of some kind would really help.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Tottenham are set to make their first signing of the summer with the capture of Southampton goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, according to The Sun.

WTF is going on? We have approx. £50 million from Walker and we should be looking to improve our bench but we are looking at third choice keeper.

What's going on is that we only have two senior keepers and need a third for cover. All clubs need at least 3 keepers.

I'm fairly sure we'll bring in one or two before the window shuts. Which is really all we need. I do agree it's annoying we frequently leave it so late.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I think you did not get his point hence the stupid dig from you.

I don't even get the dig? Is he saying the pressure is off Mourinho now cos he won two trophies last season? 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Big game against juve today,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Steam anywhere? stuck in pub near the Avia while my mates go watch Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Won 2-0, Kane and Eriksen. Trippier left the ground on crutches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very good performance yesterday. Didn't get to see it all, but we were the far better team, and could have won by more. Hit the post twice. Definitely more encouraging then the City performance.

Trippier's injury shows how weak we are in certain positions though. KWP isn't ready, and that is according to Poch, so we don't have a native RB ready for the start of the season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kiith wrote: »
    Very good performance yesterday. Didn't get to see it all, but we were the far better team, and could have won by more. Hit the post twice. Definitely more encouraging then the City performance.

Trippier's injury shows how weak we are in certain positions though. KWP isn't ready, and that is according to Poch, so we don't have a native RB ready for the start of the season now.

Dier will play right full not KWP. It means we can't play 5 at the back and we have to hope Dembele and Wanyama or the centre backs don't pick up injuries but it is not a total disaster.

It will inevitably have consequences if it is a serious injury alright. I can't believe it has happened before the season even starts and that it happened to our remaining right full. If it wasn't for bad luck........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Danny Rose really only on 30k a week?

How has Daniel Levy got away with this for so long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

rose is reportedly on £65,000 per week, still shockingly low for the best player in his position in the entire premier league

when are enic going to realise they cannot keep this great team together by paying modest wages

the stadium argument is b0llox, it being financed + big contribution from the NFL

enic just do not want to invest in top quality players or pay our best players top wages because it affects their own wealth.

Joe Lewis is worth more than Abramavic, we are an extremely wealthy football club, although you wouldn't think it they way enic operates. 9 year zero net spend etc...

I'm glad rose brought this issue out into the open, will be very interesting to see what happens next.

Rose should cop the **** on imo. Talk about how you don't like the transfer policy all you like (because i agree that Spurs are seriously ****ing things up this window), but don't insult your team mates two days before the season starts. This just screams of someone wanting a move, without actually asking for a move.

And going to the utter rag that is The Sun? Pathetic.

who's next to break rank, Toby, Ali, Eriksen ?

this problem is all enic's doing and they need to fix it.

Kiith wrote: »
    Rose should cop the **** on imo. Talk about how you don't like the transfer policy all you like (because i agree that Spurs are seriously ****ing things up this window), but don't insult your team mates two days before the season starts. This just screams of someone wanting a move, without actually asking for a move.

And going to the utter rag that is The Sun? Pathetic.

Yeah he doesn't come across as very bright unfortunately. Wonder did he have to Google Dele when we bought him.

who's next to break rank, Toby, Ali, Eriksen ?

this problem is all enic's doing and they need to fix it.

I'd seriously love to see you in charge of a club (just not Spurs)

Double everyone's wages. If they still complain, treble their wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

rose is reportedly on £65,000 per week, still shockingly low for the best player in his position in the entire premier league

when are enic going to realise they cannot keep this great team together by paying modest wages

the stadium argument is b0llox, it being financed + big contribution from the NFL

enic just do not want to invest in top quality players or pay our best players top wages because it affects their own wealth.

Joe Lewis is worth more than Abramavic, we are an extremely wealthy football club, although you wouldn't think it they way enic operates. 9 year zero net spend etc...

I'm glad rose brought this issue out into the open, will be very interesting to see what happens next.

I'm a Chartered Accountant so I could use my licence to bore by giving a 20 page lecture on cashflow and balance sheets. Instead I will let you do your own research with a set of Spurs last published accounts to June 2016:

m.tottenhamhotspur.com/reports/annual-statement-june-2016/

To save your sanity I would just refer you to Page 2, the 5 year annual summary. From 2012 to 2016 Spurs made a cumulative after tax profit of roughly 100M. In other words, if Bale had turned into a dud we would only have broken even.

If, as you imply, we decide to give our players the same wages available elsewhere I would reckon £1M a week wouldn't even bring us to Liverpool's level, never mind Chelsea or City. But £1M a week over the last five years would have cost us £250M which wipes out the balance sheet with or without Bale.

In the next year or so we will be adding £700M in debt if costings for the new stadium are to be believed (£115 already paid up to June 2016). Granted there will be naming rights and extra match day revenue including NFL but anyone who thinks we can repay the Stadium debt and find an extra 50M for wages is dreaming. ENIC are not oil sheiks or robber barons in it for the personal ego, they are running a business. Whether we like it or not we are going to continue to lose players to clubs with no scruples and who think FFP is for the little people.

On the plus side 'intangible assets' (ie players) is valued at only £98M in the 2016 accounts. It will be painful to lose players but with the transfer market in banana republic territory we will have the stadium paid for in no length. Then, and only then, will we be in a position where we will have an extra turnover of £100 to £200M which will allow us compete on salary. In the meantime we need to keep finding Kanes and Allis. I have every faith we will do so as the 'top' teams are only looking at the finished articles now and pissing away their cash. Trust me, that business model can't last no matter what Sky tell you.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    I'd seriously love to see you in charge of a club (just not Spurs)

Double everyone's wages. If they still complain, treble their wages.

you don't understand....

enic need to pay them the going rate for their talent or they will all leave eventually and who could blame them?

enic are trying to do things on the cheap again and rose has called them out on it.

65k a week for the best LB in the league is pretty scandalous he should be on at least double that.

if this great spurs team gets dismantled over wages, that will be the fault of the owners who let it happen.

Levy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

you don't understand....

enic need to pay them the going rate for their talent or they will all leave eventually and who could blame them?

enic are trying to do things on the cheap again and rose has called them out on it.

65k a week for the best LB in the league is pretty scandalous he should be on at least double that.

if this great spurs team gets dismantled over wages, that will be the fault of the owners who let it happen.

130k pw for a full back is lunacy, even in this day and age.

PhilipsR wrote: »

its all very subjective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If you want to continue dining at the top table you need to match the wages the top teams pay, it's as simple as that.

April-May 2016, Spurs chasing Leicester for the league and collapsed with 3 or 4 games to go. Danny Rose was absolute muck in those last few games and that only 15-16 months ago. 'pay me what I'm worth', he should be paying back half his wage for the 5 years previous for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

130k pw for an average full back is lunacy, even in this day and age.

we would not have this situation if the players of the 2nd best team in the league were paid the going rate for their level of ability

don't get me wrong, rose is a prick for doing this the way he has and on the eve on the new season, he obviously wants to triple his wages in Manchester and doesn't give a fcuk about Spurs

but there can be no doubt that it this situation highlights a huge problem Spurs has by having great players on modest money, the vultures are circling

Over to you Levy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/GamaNaz/status/896263693998194688

I dont know of the player myself but by all accounts he is quite good and would make Spurs' defence even better.

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GamaNaz/status/896263693998194688

I dont know of the player myself but by all accounts he is quite good and would make Spurs' defence even better.

I read somewhere that he can play right back too. Would presume that's what we're buying him for mainly.

If we are buying him that is.

we've had a bid rejected for Martial apparently

• Advertisement

Really?

1 nil to the Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

davycc wrote: »
    1 nil to the Tottenham.

actually 2-Nil to the Tottenham :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good win but to be fair to Spurs, they were gifted big openings after Shelvey got himself sent off.

Still, a fairly competent performance from Spurs but be hard to read too much into a victory like that given that we've had feck all backing in the transfer market.

Enjoy it anyway.

Always the cup final in Wembley next time. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

Fantastic debut from Kyle Walker today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

golfball37 wrote: »
    Fantastic debut from Kyle Walker today

Just on this, I thought he did well but Atsu had the beatings of him on numerous occasions.
    He handled the occasion well but there's better wingers than Christian Atsu who will absolutely roast him.

Still plenty of reasons to get excited by him.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just on this, I thought he did well but Atsu had the beatings of him on numerous occasions.
    He handled the occasion well but there's better wingers than Christian Atsu who will absolutely roast him.

Still plenty of reasons to get excited by him.

His use of the ball was streets ahead of his namesake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

golfball37 wrote: »
    His use of the ball was streets ahead of his namesake

He got MotM as well, fair play, sell one Kyle Walker for 50m, replace him with a homegrown kid, of the same name, who's even better!

I really doubt this is true. He's presumably on much bigger money at United than we could offer him, plus he's lazy so Poch wouldn't play him.

Paulunho gone to Barcelona for 35 million! Omg wtf ? I love barca too so I don't want that coward anywhere in my life fugg off Pauline

• Advertisement

We are close to signing Davinson Sanchez apparently. And linked with Serge Aurier. And Keita Balde. [Corriere Probably all bull****, but one of these stories eventually has to be real...right? :confused:

https://twitter.com/hotspurrelated/status/897189376563847168

https://twitter.com/hotspurrelated/status/897229987706785793

https://twitter.com/hotspurrelated/status/897194007113105410

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I would very much doubt it that the club are interested in signing Aurier.

He is the anti-Pochettino player as far as im concerned

We've signed someone, or so some random twitter people say.

https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/897434480297816064

He's made 9 first team starts for celta Vigo only. A box to box midfielder!
    We need a creative player and a striker. Possibly a full back but I'd give walker the no 2 slot behind trippier based on Sunday. In fact if Sunday is not a flash on pan he'll soon be no one.

Siggy is off to Everton, so that should speed up the Barkley transfer if it's happening, and apparently we are very close to signing Sanchez (CB).

Sky saying we've agreed a deal for Davinson Sanchez. Probably a club record fee. Will be hard for him to follow in the footsteps of previous club records Rebrov, Bentley, Bent, Soldado and Lamela...

Finally, a signing (assuming its legit) :D

He's supposed to be very good, so having him alongside Jan and Toby will be great.

He's only just gone 21 so I'm guessing he'll be eased slowly into the team, probably won't be a regular before Christmas

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40978395

Levy must be drunk to spend that much for defender and now Dier can concentrate on his midfield game. Happy with the signing.

We are heavily linked with the following players;

Juan Foyth - prospect
    Pape Diop - I like his name - prospect
    Kieta Balde
    Sergie Aurier

I would gladly take Kieta and we should try for Seri from Nice to cover Dembele. Poch said we will try to get 4 players so lets see....

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the interest in Foyth will be dropped now we've bought a centre half, even if Wimmer leaves.

I'd be a bit surprised if we're really after Aurier, he doesn't seem like Poch's type, but I might be wrong.

I reckon we'll get Diop and hopefully an attacking midfielder, Keita Balde would be nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement