Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Having had the odd read of the private forum this place will seem a lot more polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

thebaz wrote:
    question - why have Spurs not really pushed on with some big transfers ?

We are on the record as not willing to pay wages at the same level as our competitors. Our top earner is on about 130k per week tops. Most of the regulars are only 50-90k. Peanuts by comparison to other teams. Only a matter of time (if it's not already happening) that clubs like Newcastle, Everton, Westham etc are paying players more than spurs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

I think we will get a signing like Son out of nowhere.

Poch did mention we have to be smart with our money and make smart choices but, lets see if levy will back him after Sissokho failure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

At least United won't be bidding on Kane now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads, as always if I can help anyone with tickets etc. just let me know, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

City lost out on dani alves so they might be back in the market for walker, I'll take 40m and kelichi
    Anichibe * I can't spell for sh1t we could do with some goalscoring backup and the kid has potentially I think poch could make him shine,

davycc wrote:
    City lost out on dani alves so they might be back in the market for walker, I'll take 40m and kelichi Anichibe * I can't spell for sh1t we could do with some goalscoring backup and the kid has potentially I think poch could make him shine,

Itchy Nacho, I think he's called.

Could be a real diamond in the rough. Always scored when he came in for the absent Aguero

Dier wants to go to United apparently, though there is no actual quote as per usual. £50 million being the supposed price.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/11/manchester-united-eric-dier-tottenham-new-bid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Kiith wrote: »
    Dier wants to go to United apparently, though there is no actual quote as per usual. £50 million being the supposed price.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/11/manchester-united-eric-dier-tottenham-new-bid

Ye would surely be delighted to get 50m for such an average player?

• Advertisement

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    Ye would surely be delighted to get 50m for such an average player?

I am not sure why you think he is an average player? He was rock solid for us in the midfield before, Victor arrived. Now he is a key player the way we play. Having said that, he does make silly mistakes time to time but, he is young enough to learn from them.

Personally, I think if we can manage to get £50 million then we should sell and buy Dendocker (sp?) who is better than him and invest the funds in Mane type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

thebaz wrote: »
    question - why have Spurs not really pushed on with some big transfers ?

we can only speculate as nobody knows for sure and ENIC answer to nobody.

In my view its because they do not think that level of investment is value for money, plain and simple. They will not buy players at their peak and they will not pay the going rate in wages for the best talent.

Their core aim is to accumulate wealth for the shareholders of ENIC and everything else is secondary. They are excellent at making money for themselves.

At this stage I'd just be happy for ENIC to pay our players higher wages so they don't get unsettled. The current gap leaves us exposed.

It's sad fans of the PL runners up should be aiming so low but we all know ENICs form after 16 years

The new stadium is no real excuse given:
    1. how its been financed
    2. NFL contribution
    3. Increased revenue from PL, CL and other commercial deals
    4. Zero Net spend since 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

we can only speculate as nobody knows for sure and ENIC answer to nobody.

In my view its because they do not think that level of investment is value for money, plain and simple. They will not buy players at their peak and they will not pay the going rate in wages for the best talent.

Their core aim is to accumulate wealth for the shareholders of ENIC and everything else is secondary. They are excellent at making money for themselves.

At this stage I'd just be happy for ENIC to pay our players higher wages so they don't get unsettled. The current gap leaves us exposed.

It's sad fans of the PL runners up should be aiming so low but we all know ENICs form after 16 years

The new stadium is no real excuse given:
    1. how its been financed
    2. NFL contribution
    3. Increased revenue from PL, CL and other commercial deals
    4. Zero Net spend since 2009

after I posted question , there were rumours of Mark Zuckerberg buying you (sadly no connection) - as an outsider I would reckon 2 high profile additions and you could push on to winning league , surprised this is not happening. If Kane or Ali gets injured ...

Sky sports news running a breaking news story saying a 50m deal has been reached for the sale of walker to city...
    Delighted with that price if it turns out to be true.

Far more confidence having tripp in the starting 11 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

davycc wrote: »
    Sky sports news running a breaking news story saying a 50m deal has been reached for the sale of walker to city...
    Delighted with that price if it turns out to be true.

Far more confidence having tripp in the starting 11 anyway

It's about twice what he's worth, terrific business for your lot. If Dier goes as well there should be money for strengthening the squad, even with Levy holding the purse strings.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

If van dijk is being quoted at £70 million I'd be holding out for more then £50 million in fairness

• Advertisement

I'm ok with this. He's a very good player, but is terrible crossing the ball, which is a bug requirement for our wing backs. Trippier isn't as strong or as fast Walker is, but he's a far better passer or the ball.

This isn't a Modric or Bale move, where we are losing our star player. He's a very good player, who either wasn't good enough for Poch to stay as 1st choice, or was gradually removed from the team in advance of the transfer. Tripper will be an able deputy, and with some more game time, may actually be an improvement.

Sheffield United should get a few million out of this. They have a percentage of the next sale(10% I think), assuming football manager is correct :P

50 million is qrear money, but f**K all use of tripper gets injured and we end up playing Dier or Sissoko are right back. It's a great deal as long as we get a suitable replacement/understudy to Tripper in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

why sell to a side that's trying to overtake us?

madness

Carrick and Berba all over again - plus it confirms our small time mentality to other buyers

and for those that think its good business - look how the Bale money was wasted

worrying sale....

I have to admit I'm worried about next year. We weren't strong enough last year to win the league or compete in the CL, and we have invested exactly zero money in strengthening the squad. Everyone around us has strengthened. I just don't understand it.

If it's a question of wages, levy needs to pucker up and increase what we will offer. We simply cannot compete if things stay as they are.

Kiith wrote:
    If it's a question of wages, levy needs to pucker up and increase what we will offer. We simply cannot compete if things stay as they are.

Imo Levy is co(k-of-the-walk now because he's had a couple of seasons we're he has had serious success in ratio to wages/transfer investment in relation to our peers.

Yeah, well done Levy... It only took the guts of 15 years as head of ENIC. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I'm not saying there is anything major at the club right now but it grinds my gears that we aren't paying the going rate on wages and signing players like N'jie and Sissoko... I mean, who is actually buying these guys. N'jie was bought for 12M, played a handful of games and sold for 6M. I think Levy and Co are living off their success with Alli and a couple of others that they bought young and full of potential but for each Alli their is two Njie's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Maybe poch would prefer to blood in the youngsters then spend millions. We've more then a few quality youngsters. We've had 2 absolutely great seasons, let's not start whinging and moaning like other clubs because we're not out there spending millions. Maybe the manager doesn't think we need to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Has Levy/Pochettino improved the signings record from the splurging of the Bale money?

Would you trust them to spend the money well this time and not on Paulinho and Soldado and Sissoko..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

dfx- wrote: »
    Has Levy/Pochettino improved the signings record from the splurging of the Bale money?

Would you trust them to spend the money well this time and not on Paulinho and Soldado and Sissoko..

Sorry but that is a bananas post. You could just as easily say Spurs have genius recruiters because we spent relative peanuts buying Alli, Dier, Walker, Lloris, Wanyama, Alderwiereld, Trippier, Dembele and Rose to name but a huge majority of last year's starting 11.

The three players you named were a star of a Brazil Confederation cup winning team (hailed as an Ardiles-line signing at the time iirc), a proven La Liga goal scorer (proof Levy was finally doing it for the fans) and finally a mercenary who looked good in the Euros (all round bit of a punt admittedly).

All this proves is that recruitment is far from an exact science as Liverpool prove all the time and are now a lot more circumspect about signings. I suspect City will also be looking back and asking what the hell they were thinking.

If you ask me Spurs are way ahead of the rest of the top six for recruitment policy and it is done without the safety net of oceans of ill gotten shekels and roubles.

I'm on holidays with nothing to do so here's another thought!

Here's a possible Spurs starting 11 next year with my totally off the top of my head scientifically calculated transfer fees attached: (research will not be done whilst drinking by the pool):

Lloris 8m
    Trip 3.5m
    Rose 2m
    Verts 16m
    Aldo 13m
    Dembele 15m
    Wanyama 13m
    Dier 4m
    Eriksen 16m
    Alli 5m
    Kane 0

By my reckoning that's a cost of about 95.5m or roughly one Paul Pogba and less than one Mbappe or two Walkers. How much is that squad worth in today's market? And who is going about their business best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Glebee

Any word on eric lamelas progress and possible return?

Glebee wrote: »
    Any word on eric lamelas progress and possible return?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-4681314/Erik-Lamela-returns-training-eight-months-out.html

I think there is no set return date for him at present but, I miss him. He will be like a new signing for us.

I have to admit I'm worried about next year. We weren't strong enough last year to win the league or compete in the CL, and we have invested exactly zero money in strengthening the squad. Everyone around us has strengthened. I just don't understand it.

I think we are the only club who have not made any signing yet even Pau Lopez has been sent back but, current reports are saying we are trying for Argentinean defender called Foyth and it looks like he will be our first signing.

Tottenham are ready to go back to Everton with an offer for Ross Barkley, according to The Independent.

Barkley only has one year left on his deal at Goodison Park but Everton had originally been holding out for £50m.

However, reports suggest Daniel Levy feels that valuation is unrealistic.

I hope we don't do Sisosokho on it and buy him at £30-35 million on deadline day.

If only we have a spare 50 million lying around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'd be disgusted if we paid 50m for Ross bloody Barkley under normal circumstances, let alone when he's in the last year of his contract.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote:
    I'd be disgusted if we paid 50m for Ross bloody Barkley under normal circumstances, let alone when he's in the last year of his contract.

Agreed. I'd find anything more that 15million hard to swallow nevermind fifty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Playing PSG tonight, 2-1 up at the moment. Eriksen with a cracker, and Dier scored charging down the keeper.

Lloris
    KWP, CCV, Vertonghen, Davies
    Dier, Dembele
    Onomah, Eriksen, N'Koudou
    Janssen

Playing pretty well so far. Cracking goal from Eriksen to make it 1-1 after an easy goal on the break put PSG in the lead. Poor goalkeeping let Dier get Spurs 2nd goal. Awful from KWP led to PSG's 2nd goal, and it's 2-2 now just before the break.

Enjoyable game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

United lad here, just seen the spurs thread jump up as i was on the main boards page so thought id take a look at tge thread.
    Are ye in for barkley? Would Winks not do a job there as i thought he looked quite good last season. Barkley is hardly to replacement for an Ali or Eriksen, so where would he play?

Do ye plan to buy a few players this summer or is the fund more focused on the new statdium?

Genuine questions and i work beside 2 arsenal lads all day and its their ****e is falling on deaf ears at the moment :)

Barkley would add some depth to the squad, but wouldn't be starting over anyone in the current squad. Sure as hell isnt work 50 million,

Trapp just got sent off in the friendly, for handling outside the box.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    United lad here, just seen the spurs thread jump up as i was on the main boards page so thought id take a look at tge thread.
    Are ye in for barkley? Would Winks not do a job there as i thought he looked quite good last season. Barkley is hardly to replacement for an Ali or Eriksen, so where would he play?

Do ye plan to buy a few players this summer or is the fund more focused on the new statdium?

Genuine questions and i work beside 2 arsenal lads all day and its their ****e is falling on deaf ears at the moment :)

I would think that Barkley would be back-up across the attacking positions. Based on last season, the trio in a 4-2-3-1 would be Son, Alli, Eriksen, so Barkley would be back-up for those, along with Lamela if he ever gets fit.
    I would be shocked if we pay anymore than 15-18 million for Barkley.

Don't see us doing any major business in this window. We've been linked with a young Argentinian defender (Juan Foyth) and that is the profile (young, cheap) that we will sign. Don't see us signing anyone that is going to have an immediate impact.

Cracker from Alderweireld there, then Kane from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I would think that Barkley would be back-up across the attacking positions. Based on last season, the trio in a 4-2-3-1 would be Son, Alli, Eriksen, so Barkley would be back-up for those, along with Lamela if he ever gets fit.
    I would be shocked if we pay anymore than 15-18 million for Barkley.

Don't see us doing any major business in this window. We've been linked with a young Argentinian defender (Juan Foyth) and that is the profile (young, cheap) that we will sign. Don't see us signing anyone that is going to have an immediate impact.

Cracker from Alderweireld there, then Kane from the spot.

Cheers man, ya the 50 mil quote was laughable.
    Then again after watching ye there you dont need any major one's.
    Just watched a bit of the psg game against ye, demele has some skill on the ball. Tends to squeeze past 2 players with ease.

I'll say it now, not sure when ye meet arsenal but do me a favour and thrash them :)

4:2 ft great opening warm up for us,
    Delighted to see everyone is fit and flying bar lamela, winks had a very decent game when he was thrown on, I would prefer to give him as much game time as possible over singing Barkley.

Goal of the game for me was Tobys screamer,!
    Bonus points for him frightening the sh1t out of di Maria a couple of times lol,!

Our next friendly is tues Coys!

Highlights here cracking game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MDVVorGcm4

• Advertisement

The roma game is on eirsport in 5 mins

1nd to roma dodgy penalized ref took a total guess

davycc wrote: »
    1nd to roma dodgy penalized ref took a total guess

That game was played last night.. I won't spoiler it for you.

Conte trying to play some mind games it seems.
    "If they don’t win the title, it’s not a tragedy. If they don’t arrive in the Champions League, its not a tragedy.

"If they go out in the first round of the Champions League its not a tragedy. If they go out after the first game that they play in the Europa League and go down against Gent, it is not a tragedy.

"Maybe for Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United and - I don’t know - Liverpool, it is a tragedy. You must understand this. You must understand the status of the team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40736388

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If your only way to win a title and qualify for Champs League is by paying overinflated prices for players...that is the real tragedy!!

Conte trying to play some mind games it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40736388

Mourinho was also at it the other day saying, in a diatribe about how awful it is that Utd can't buy every player they want, that Tottenham have done "unbelievable" to hang on to Kane, Alli, Alderweireld, Dier and Eriksen.

It's almost like The Moany One and Conte realise they are going to look a tad foolish if they have blown their wads and their team is no better. If Spurs spend the Walker money on a signing I would say the two happiest people around will be Conte & Mourinho. I'm guessing Pep doesn't give a ****e considering how much, and on whom, he has spent the sheik's shekels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Conte is kinda right though. Spurs would love to win a trophy, and if we don't win one soon our best players will start leaving.

But the pressure on Conte and Mourinho to win trophies is even greater. Nothing less is expected.

Ormus wrote: »
    Conte is kinda right though. Spurs would love to win a trophy, and if we don't win one soon our best players will start leaving.

But the pressure on Conte and Mourinho to win trophies is even greater. Nothing less is expected.

Conte was at it again in another article saying Kane is the complete striker and one player he would love to have in his team. This is supposed to be flattery but what he is really saying is "Spurs should be winning, I am doing phenomenally well to be winning titles with the miserable bunch I have." To be honest it is pretty pathetic and feeble-minded.

I don't think there is pressure on Spurs this year with all home games on neutral ground. The pressure will really come on the following season and especially the season after that. That also coincides with players contracts coming up for renewal if they haven't signed extensions. If we are still making CL in those seasons I would be more than happy.

Tottenham are set to make their first signing of the summer with the capture of Southampton goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, according to The Sun.

WTF is going on? We have approx. £50 million from Walker and we should be looking to improve our bench but we are looking at third choice keeper.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Tottenham are set to make their first signing of the summer with the capture of Southampton goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, according to The Sun.

WTF is going on? We have approx. £50 million from Walker and we should be looking to improve our bench but we are looking at third choice keeper.

Saving money due to the stadium maybe?

It does all seem a bit weird that they're not buying anyone.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Glebee

I have a bad feeling about this season....:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement