Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best muscle recovery supplement

Options
  • 22-08-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im wondering what is the best recovery supplement to take after training im not looking to build mass or gain really im training mixed martial arts 5+ classes a week and my job is labour intensive so im looking for the best supplement available to aid muscle recovery.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

All post-workout recovery supplements are just a mix of carbs and protein in a 2:1 ratio. You could make up your own for a lot less by using oats and protein

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

All post-workout recovery supplements are just a mix of carbs and protein in a 2:1 ratio. You could make up your own for a lot less by using oats and protein

Cool thanks could you recommend a protein supplement there are so many brands thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey seems to be the choice of those in the know ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Get a decent BCAA supp

The_Mask wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey seems to be the choice of those in the know ;-)

Lol, not quite!

Get a decent BCAA supp

Lol, not quite!

Which would be considered the best available ?

• Advertisement

-oRnein9- wrote: »
    Which would be considered the best available ?

BCAA or whey?

BCAA or whey?

Whey

Whey

You should use both, but from your needs in OP if I was to advise on one or the other for you to take it'd be BCAAs, just do a quick Google and you'll read why. You're probably already getting enough protein for your needs through your daily meals anyway if your diet's some bit in order.

But as for whey, use MyProtein, they have the highest genuine protein content and are the best value for money. I was one of them up until a few weeks ago, but people who still buy overpriced, inferior ON gold standard are idiots. Delivery takes only 2-3 days and they're always doing great deals.

You should use both, but from your needs in OP if I was to advise on one or the other for you to take it'd be BCAAs, just do a quick Google and you'll read why. You're probably already getting enough protein for your needs through your daily meals anyway if your diet's some bit in order.

But as for whey, use MyProtein, they have the highest genuine protein content and are the best value for money. I was one of them up until a few weeks ago, but people who still buy overpriced, inferior ON gold standard are idiots. Delivery takes only 2-3 days and they're always doing great deals.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Most good whey protein products will have a good BCAA profile anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.

MyProtein and Bulk Powders are the two I use regularly and have the best value. Good suppliers of whey and high protein content.

Thanks lads just put in an order with myprotein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The best recovery is food and sleep.
    Why do you think you need a muscle recovery supplement.

Mellor wrote: »
    The best recovery is food and sleep.
    Why do you think you need a muscle recovery supplement.

My job is quite labour intensive construction sector i generally am on my feet all day and cover 10k plus up and down high rise stairs my legs become tired as the week goes on especially after training i just thought supplements would be of benefit to me is there something wrong with taking supplements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

you are probably over doing it by the sounds of things.
    maybe what you are looking for is something that deadens the feeling of being tired etc. but you are just fooling yourself, rest is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My job is quite labour intensive construction sector i generally am on my feet all day and cover 10k plus up and down high rise stairs my legs become tired as the week goes on especially after training i just thought supplements would be of benefit to me is there something wrong with taking supplements?
    Supplements are just food.
    A recovery product is just some protein and carbs. It's a convent way to get nutrition in on the go. But it's not going to do anything different to food.

If you job is energy intensive eat a big breakfast/lunch. You'll need energy to get through MMA training just like any other strength/cardio mix.

Advertisement