Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

And Alan Hansen

Sure, while we're at...

Johnny Giles. Does he himself even know what he's talking about these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

1. 'Shielding' the ball out for a goal kick. Most of the time its blatant obstruction and referees won't give it. Annoys the hell out of me.

2. Diving. Automatic 10 game ban for anyone going down without contact (only exception I'd make is if defender comes in 2 footed over the ball and it's self preservation)

3. 'There was contact'..its a f***ing contact sport, of course there is contact. Frees/penalties should only be awarded if the contact is sufficient to knock someone off balance.

4. People who defend diving. 'Sure, they all do it'..ok, so if we all go out and beat the head off someone tonight it's ok, because 'we all do it'. An earlier poster had the right term for those who defend diving..numptys.

5. £100,000 per week players not able to miss the 'first man'

6. The Redknapps...bar Louise of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Nani and valencia
    When a player moves from their club fans suddenly stop rating a player and says he was never that good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The internet has spawned know it alls who try to make everyone think they are some sort of mastermind when it comes to obscure players. be they South American, Armenian or South Korean, MM will know all about their strengths and weaknesses. When in fact they have just read their wiki.

People posting GREAT GOAL while they are watching a match? Are you watching the match or what?

The "we" brigade. generally they go to their chosen club maybe once a year at best, ye their team are "we" and "us".

Ends justifying the means style puke football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1. Damien Hancock. Sums everything wrong with refereeing. When he's wrong or not sure he barrels on regardless and books anyone who calls him on it.

2. "But there was contact" and "He got the ball first". There's a real lack of appreciation that not all decisions are black or white, there's a huge grey area.

3. The clamour for video technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

2 rules from other sports that I think could work well in football.

1. Injuries treated on the pitch as in rugby, and play goes on. It annoys the life out of me to see players drop to the ground in order to slow play down or stop momentum in an opposing team.

2. Free kick from where the ball lands in a late tackle. Would bring down the amount of dangerous lunges in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

People who dismiss teams like Stoke for playimg functional but above all effective football just because they don't like that style of football.

Equally the Barca/Spain brigade who get appalled that not everyone is blown away or genuflects at the alter of their dull low risk possession based smothering football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Being booked for celebrations
    The new rule of same colour tape on socks
    Diving
    Shay Givens over-exaggerated ability ( Take a number to have a pop, there is a queue)
    PLayers tussling at corners
    LOI fans taking the moral highground constantly
    Lack of technological aid for refereees
    Liverpool fans I know who keep banging on that they are a top club. They success was before I was born, they are a top 6 club at best with sporadic cup runs.
    Dustaz.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can't abide players hanging on to opponents shirts, especially at set pieces

The idea that its a bad thing to be biased towards the club you support. Sure what other way would you be???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Benimar wrote: »
    1. 'Shielding' the ball out for a goal kick. Most of the time its blatant obstruction and referees won't give it. Annoys the hell out of me.

+1 million!

Player's who cannot get their hands out of the way and a penalty is given, yet an attacker tries to get the ball, defender makes no attempt to play ball but it's ok as they are "shielding" it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

TheDoc wrote: »
    Being booked for celebrations
    Liverpool fans I know who keep banging on that they are a top club. They success was before I was born,

Strange one. What's your definition of a top club ? If it's sustained success during your lifetime only, then probably only Manchester United are the only ones to lay a rightful claim to it.

eigrod wrote: »
    Strange one. What's your definition of a top club ? If it's sustained success during your lifetime only, then probably only Manchester United are the only ones to lay a rightful claim to it.

Damn straight they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football fans that think it is ok to scream abuse at a player when he is taking a throw or corner.

Players and managers that dont know the rules. Some players seem to think its not a penalty if the player is going away from goal or if you went for the ball :confused:

Refs that give fouls against an attacking player for little or no contact yet a defender can do what he wants to an attacking player.

The lack of a real advantage rule.

Players being offside

Players that cant take set pieces or cross the ball

Football fans that cant understand why a player would leave their club

The International Football Association Board (The guys that make up the rules)

Footballers that repeatedly say "Obviously" and "To be fair" in interviews

Pundits that do no research into foreign teams and leagues (RTE the worst culprits)

LOI pundits that say "Its a great advert for the league" after a mildly decent match.

Geoff Shreeves style of interviewing (apart from the Kenny Dalglish one at OT :D)

Players being hated by fans just because they think he might be over rated in the media (Frank Lampard especially)

Pundits looking out for their managerial mates when on TV (Mainly Mark Hughes and Dalglish when he was still going)

Womens football being mocked

Football fans that bring their politics into a ground

Football fans that congratulate themselves for being well behaved or anti-racist.(Eh well done for for not wrecking the place or being a racist :rolleyes:)

Football fans that are obsessed with attendances, how many away fans there were or who out sung who (Go back to play school)

Corrupt refs and officials

Football fans that think a club is theirs when its owned by somebody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The puritans. People can play football anyway that they like.

I guess I'd base it of recent campaigns.

Like for example NOBODY still calls Leeds United a top club, yet they have had tremendous success in the past.

When I say top club I mean in terms of challenging for top honours, I accept fully there is good history, fanbase etc.

But surely there is a kinda common sense time frame that defines if a club is considered a top club no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Players talking in press conferences before a game, cliche after cliche and cliche.

Handshakes before a game of football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People - players, managers, pundits, journalists, fans - who think football has Rules, and that they are black and white, and must be adhered to at all times, the same way every time.

It doesn't, and they aren't, and they don't.

Football has "Laws" - it has seventeen of them, plus some supplementary stuff, and they are available for everyone to read in this lovely booklet from FIFA

Laws Of The Game.

In there you will also find a section called "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees". It gives some detailed examinations of certain situations, but again, these are Guidelines.

Everyone should read it.

"Laws" are interpreted by judges, in this case, the referee. Not all judges interpret the same laws the same way.

Now, a referee who is constantly doing off the wall stuff, making hair brained decisions is going to get noticed and not make it very far up the refereeing ladder at all.

Everyone should read them, they are a real eye opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

TheDoc wrote: »
    When I say top club I mean in terms of challenging for top honours, I accept fully there is good history, fanbase etc.

Ok, so let's take the last 8 seasons, how many clubs have won more "top honours" than Liverpool ? I make it 2. How many teams have reached more Champions League finals than Liverpool in that period ?

• Advertisement

Ok, so let's take the last 8 seasons, how many clubs have won more "top honours" than Liverpool ? I make it 2. How many teams have reached more Champions League finals than Liverpool in that period ?

Darcy is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People who celebrate another teams defeat as if it was their club who beat them. By all means be happy, but do you really have to go nuts.

Fans who care about stupid things like chants, rather then football.

Hearts fans.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

90% of hand ball penalties should not be given, very rarely do people deliberately handball it, but its something that appears to be lost on not only fans, but refs.

People who do not know the handball rule!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

People who think Ireland should be getting better results in international football.
    Our first appearance for 10 years in a major competition and we should be competing with finalists Spain and Italy.
    Get a grip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

People who dismiss teams like Stoke for playimg functional but above all effective football just because they don't like that style of football.

Equally the Barca/Spain brigade who get appalled that not everyone is blown away or genuflects at the alter of their dull low risk possession based smothering football.

I like watching barca. I watched the first half against real madrid tonight, and I couldnt take my eyes off the telly. I really enjoyed it. But I dont think stoke are too bad to watch either.

I just think its different strokes etc, some like eastenders, some corrie. Some like barca passing game, some dont.

And just because I like watching barca and enjoying their football doesnt mean I get appalled that you dont

The puritans. People can play football anyway that they like.

Purists maybe???
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Like Petr Cech and Hunt
    Like Shay Given and Marlon Harewood

that's just stupid. So you can think of 2 goalkeepers who have suffered bad injuries since, what, 2007? how many outfield players have suffered terrible injuries in that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

- People who don't watch football on a regular basis but as soon as a World Cup or Euros comes around suddenly turn into experts.

- The lack of technology in the sport.

- Players spitting.

- Jamie Redknapp.

- Players who throw a strop when substituted and the people who defend it. ('That shows he cares'.) No, it shows he's a spoiled, overpaid, prima donna brat that needs to man the f*ck up and quit acting like a child.

- The lack of respect and/or acknowledgement from fans towards a great performance or goal from an opponent, as happens in other sports. Very rarely will you see fans applaud a great display or a great goal from another team. Warms my heart when it happens.

- The idea that sportsmanship as exists in other sports can't exist in football. It can. Bring in retrospective punishment for cheats and con artists and hefty bans for the culprits and diving and play acting will soon stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Red card if you bring someone down in the box. The penno is punishment enough, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Purists maybe???
    :)

I think puritans is more appropriate. Football should only be played one way, ideally, and you're sinning if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

When heaps of players surround the ref to intimidate him after he makes a decision (good or bad). Should go the way of rugby in that the only person who can talk to the ref is the team captain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Des wrote: »
    Profesional footballers not beating the first man with corners, should be fined.

This!!

Can't understand how some players do it everytime in a game, never mentioned by commentators or managers and then go out the following week and do it again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

How every single contact leads to a free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

English people playing for Ireland ruins it for me. Also, club teams that have little or no players from the clubs country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Music played in a studio whenever a goal is scored. Taccy as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Pundits who say you should never mix politics with international football.

Bollocks. As long as the fans are not physically slaughtering each other pre match a bit of old war rivalry makes any match twice as important and edgy. There might be some ungentlemanlike chants and booing but cest la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Goalkeepers have far too much protection.
    Couldn't disagree more tbh. When a goalkeeper is, for arguments sake, back pedalling, parallel to the goal line, trying to collect a corner - when he goes up with both hands over his head to catch/puch the ball, he is soooooo liable to serious injury if a player coming the other direction hits him. I got two knees in the side in this situation earlier this month, and i haven't slept properly since because of the pain in my ribs when i lie flat.
    I'm not saying you should not be able to touch a keeper, but the rules as they are are spot on in this regard, I feel.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya I think I've seen it in the Copa Libertadores but its certainly something that should be done in all the professional leagues.

Properly implemented, this would be a brilliant addition to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It's really retarded and annoying not to include a players wages when talking about a transfer.

Especially when someone is banging in about player X costing more than player Y

fullstop wrote: »
    Like Petr Cech and Hunt
    Like Shay Given and Marlon Harewood

that's just stupid. So you can think of 2 goalkeepers who have suffered bad injuries since, what, 2007? how many outfield players have suffered terrible injuries in that time?

I can't recall too many outfield players having their skulls fractured with a kick, can you??

Keepers put their heads very low - this can be very dangerous when boots are flying in.

Also when challenging for crosses players often try to put keepers off by jumping into them or by touching their outstretched arms.
    This type of foul is not always obvious to the spectator.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    Des wrote: »
    Profesional footballers not beating the first man with corners, should be fined.

This!!

Can't understand how some players do it everytime in a game, never mentioned by commentators or managers and then go out the following week and do it again :mad:

Anyone can float in a corner ten feet above the first man. This is easy, but it's easily read by the defence and keeper.
    Players are trying to send in the corner a foot above the first man - this is a more difficult task.
    Of course when it goes wrong and is cleared by the first man the taker looks stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Feigning injury to time waste or prevent counter attack when possession is lost. Particularly bad last season across all major leagues and spilled into the Euro's. Still raging over Sporting Lisbon cheating in the EL last year. Even going as far as the bench kicking a ball onto the field to prevent City taking the corner early.

English people playing for Ireland ruins it for me. Also, club teams that have little or no players from the clubs country.

FIFA rules allow qualified foreigners, so why should a small country like us disqualify eligible players.
    We would NEVER have qualified for a major tournament if we only selected Irish born players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

We're historically a nation of emigrants. Look at the population trends of this country since the famine and you'll see that up until the turn of the millennium, that in all but one 6yr period, there was mass net emigration.

These were people emigrating out of necessity rather then choice. The fact that many of their kids and grand-kids still see themselves as Irish in a sense is to be embraced IMO, and their affiliation with this country shouldn't be severed as a result of the circumstances which forced them abroad

Obviously there's players who have opted for Ireland despite seeing themselves as other nationalities, but there were many with English accents who were as proud and patriotic as the rest of us supporting them, players like Kilbane, McCarthy, Aldridge, Holland etc. I think to change the rule to stop the few taking the piss would be a massive disservice both to the many who were proud to represent the country, and to those who were forced out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Anyone can float in a corner ten feet above the first man. This is easy, but it's easily read by the defence and keeper.
    Players are trying to send in the corner a foot above the first man - this is a more difficult task.
    Of course when it goes wrong and is cleared by the first man the taker looks stupid.

Ok so maybe the poor quality of corner kicks would be more accurate, you see the centre halfs make there way to the opposition box 5 - 6 times a game and the ball never comes within 10 yards of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Also, club teams that have little or no players from the clubs country.

Not knocking your chance to have an opinion but why would you have a problem with that? I support Bohemians in the LOI and Liverpool in the EPL, both sides have local players or players from the country the club is in. With the latter though it doesn't matter a whole lot to me, it's not like I am English or from Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Does it not bother you that say for example the last time AC Milan won the CL, the only Italian on the pitch got 5 mins at the end? Its a little bit stupid. The Italian co-efficient goes up thanks to a bunch of lads from other country's. Its not as bad as the international scene though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Does it not bother you that say for example the last time AC Milan won the CL, the only Italian on the pitch got 5 mins at the end? Its a little bit stupid. The Italian co-efficient goes up thanks to a bunch of lads from other country's. Its not as bad as the international scene though.

You mean Inter Milan there. When AC won in 2007 they had a decent amount of Italians on their team.

Re the topic the lack of a proper football structure in Ireland is annoying. I know a full pyramid strucutre is a bit unrealistic but the chopping and changing what seems every year is frustrating.

People complaining about Sky and their constant "most exciting league in the world" or "best league in the world". Sky pay a lot of money for the league rights (too much imo) of course they are going to advertise it and promote it to the best of the abilities.As far as they are concerned its a vital product if they say oh this match is a pile of crap or such people might get put off the product and might cancel their subscriptions it could cost the money and what company would want that. Better then the Rte way of constantly calling a match crap and awful.

People complaining about Stoke and others style of football. Not every one can play as Barca. Different styles and strategies are what make football interestihg.

My bad, yep it was inter i was refering to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The FAI. Absolute jokeshop of an association. Their treatment of the LOI is a disgrace.

Also, FIFA.

The bitching about big money clubs. Regrettably, that's the way football has gone and what lesser clubs need to do to compete.

The ridiculous money in the game, especially during a recession.

Agents. I don't see the need for them whatsoever.

Bookings for celebrations.

Diving and other forms of cheating.

The treatment of referees by players and fans. They aren't going to have any authority if people keep undermining their decisions. Yes, they make the wrong decision now and again but they have to make snap decisions and don't always have the best view. Until technology is introduced to help them, that's all we have.

People who moan about player's wages but place all the blame on the player. It's the clubs fault, too. Nobody, in any job, would ask to be paid less, they would always take the highest wage on offer. It's the clubs who are stupid enough to agree to demands or offer more than they can really afford.

I probably have more but am too hungover right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Probably said but people that call players traitors and Judas for moving club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement