Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fazz, it'd be terrible to waste the price of the race entry. There's a recession on. Think of all those triathletes in Greece who can't afford a race entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

And if you want to spend even more there is Swim Athy on May 27th which is a chance to swim the route beforehand and ideal for someone doing their first race in Athy !

www.swimathy.com

And surely the opportunity to crush me twice in the one weekend is too good to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Fazz, it'd be terrible to waste the price of the race entry. There's a recession on. Think of all those triathletes in Greece who can't afford a race entry.

Well, on paper I'm in so never know.
    Not planned but could be a last min change if needed.
    May depend how Olympic goes but at mo I've no intentions of doing sprint.

Fazz wrote: »
    Well, on paper I'm in so never know.
    Not planned but could be a last min change if needed.
    May depend how Olympic goes but at mo I've no intentions of doing sprint.

Also gives me two chances of abusing you on the mic;)

• Advertisement

And surely the opportunity to crush me twice in the one weekend is too good to pass up.

Is this reverse smack talk starting already??? :D Lol

I'm in agreement a smack talk thread should prob be setup for all race banter.
    Athy sprint will prob fill it up!

Though me and BTH are kicking it off in 2 weeks at Joey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I dont think you should do the sprint Fazz. You'll be too tired and you really need to give yourself a rest. Sure you've hardly swam all year, you'll surely not be able for it after the olympic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    I dont think you should do the sprint Fazz. You'll be too tired and you really need to give yourself a rest. Sure you've hardly swam all year, you'll surely not be able for it after the olympic :P

Fazz: 10:59/0:43/27:14/0:32/11:49 - 51:19
    Bambaata: 10:51/0:26/27:20/0:30/11:16 - 50:26
    Judging from both of your results in the recent Sportsman races this looks as if it will be a close run thing.

I am actually considering switching to the double OLY myself, more specific to my goal race in Roth and the 3k swim would be a good indicator for my IM swim.

Fazz: 10:59/0:43/27:14/0:32/11:49 - 51:19
    Bambaata: 10:51/0:26/27:20/0:30/11:16 - 50:26
    Judging from both of your results in the recent Sportsman races this looks as if it will be a close run thing.

I am actually considering switching to the double OLY myself, more specific to my goal race in Roth and the 3k swim would be a good indicator for my IM swim.

I was just looking at the exact same thing. Is Bambaata getting worried? I'm going to need a longer list of excuses after Joey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was just looking at the exact same thing. Is Bambaata getting worried? I'm going to need a longer list of excuses after Joey...

I was at both races so the times would be closer than the times suggest as the wind was a killer in the race yesterday and everyones bike time was down around 30secs to a minute from previous races.
    This will be one to watch, might make a weekend of it and watch the sprint race unfold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

From what i make the Sprint is going to be some boardsie show,
    El D
    Bambaaaaaaaataaaaaa
    Fazzzzzzzzzzz
    Betterthanhoyte
    JB

Have i missed anyone, i am going to be last:)

Ah no thats my honour ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I want to be able to see who's who. Youll all have to write your boards names on your numbers. :)

Well i'm fairly easy to spot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

this looks pretty good, i do a lot of running/cycling but was hoping to try a triathlon at some stage, the smaller one would be perfect, whats the minimum kit i would need for the swimming apart from the arm bands and distress whistle :)

pauldoo wrote: »
    this looks pretty good, i do a lot of running/cycling but was hoping to try a triathlon at some stage, the smaller one would be perfect, whats the minimum kit i would need for the swimming apart from the arm bands and distress whistle :)

Wetsuit and goggles ! They even supply you with a hat;)

Cheers, where is the best/cheapest place for wetsuits, do you need anything for your feet-are flippers leagal ;)

Cheers, where is the best/cheapest place for wetsuits, do you need anything for your feet-are flippers leagal ;)

I think irishfit are doing a special with tri suit, wet suit, goggles and race belt for 265...........well its one of them anyway i seen on facebook. Its a Tiger wetsuit.

Thanks for the replies elvis

Thats a bit steep for me at the minutes, what about the wetsuits you see online for 100 odd quid-would they do the job?

Thanks for the replies elvis

Thats a bit steep for me at the minutes, what about the wetsuits you see online for 100 odd quid-would they do the job?

I wouldn't be the one to ask ! Perhaps others who know a lot more in this area will chip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Guys, a few options are available to you.

First here's a thread in the Swimming forum on wetsuits to have a looks at.

If you are on a tight budget as a beginner I would recommend that you rent a proper wetsuit first, see how you get on / enjoy the sport and then look to invest properly in a wetsuit for triathlon. You can rent a wetsuit for one or two races without breaking the bank.

Cheap wetsuits are generally either surf wetsuits (which are no use for swimming), poor entry level suits (fall apart in a season or two) or the clearance of wetsuits which have been stored on a stockroom shelf for a year.

Getting the correct wetsuit for your ability, correctly fitted and with a decent warranty you will get years of service from it (if you look after it). Getting this right will be the cheapest way to reduce your race times (if that matters to you) way more efficient than buying a TT bike or fancy wheels or pointy helmet.

If you need any help just ask.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, thats a big help, do you guys(dublin strores anyway) rent the suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cool thanks, thats a big help, do you guys(dublin strores anyway) rent the suits?

Cycle Superstores in Tallaght rent wetsuits. But you can buy a tri specific wet suit from Orca or Blueseventy for circa. €100 online - though correct fitting is always a problem when you buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Seeing as it is dubbed "Irelands fastest tri", could someone who's previously done Triathy give me an indication of how fast the swim leg is. I see alot of it is down stream. The question I'm asking is would you swim the distance quicker than you would in the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

We don't rent suits. Though we plan to have sponsors at some of the (West of Ireland) events where we are swim sponsors who will do a loan (with deposit) of a suit to allow people to try-before-buy.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Cycle Superstores in Tallaght rent wetsuits. But you can buy a tri specific wet suit from Orca or Blueseventy for circa. €100 online - though correct fitting is always a problem when you buy online.

Just be careful when buying anything that is being discontinued. If you have a warranty issue its likely that there will be no like for like replacement. You should get a refund though.
    mickmc7 wrote: »
    Seeing as it is dubbed "Irelands fastest tri", could someone who's previously done Triathy give me an indication of how fast the swim leg is. I see alot of it is down stream. The question I'm asking is would you swim the distance quicker than you would in the pool?

A downstream swim in a wetsuit? You will float faster than you could ever swim in a pool. I did Carrick- on-Suir a few years ago. The river was in semi-flood following a night of rain and the winners were out in 6 minutes!

For Athy it depends largely on swim ability in my opinion
    I did the Oly last year and was around 1-2mins slower than a pool swim.
    I has poor technique, poor sighting and just a plain average swimmer (at best).
    Around 1/3 is upstream for Olympic, though there's not much current tbh.

Carrick is very much the exception due to strong river current.

Athy sprint may be the fastest course, but Olympic is not.
    Even at that Athlone would give the sprint a close call (despite long run in Athlone too!).

Now, it does seem once you improve swim a bit that the wetsuit helps a good bit.
    I'm seeing good improvements in wetsuit now, but open water is no swimming pool and so sighting and current/waves still have to be dealt with.

If you swim straight in Athy, then it would prob be faster than a pool but not by much id say.

Fazz wrote: »
    For Athy it depends largely on swim ability in my opinion
    I did the Oly last year and was around 1-2mins slower than a pool swim.
    I has poor technique, poor sighting and just a plain average swimmer (at best).
    Around 1/3 is upstream for Olympic, though there's not much current tbh.

Carrick is very much the exception due to strong river current.

Athy sprint may be the fastest course, but Olympic is not.
    Even at that Athlone would give the sprint a close call (despite long run in Athlone too!).

Now, it does seem once you improve swim a bit that the wetsuit helps a good bit.
    I'm seeing good improvements in wetsuit now, but open water is no swimming pool and so sighting and current/waves still have to be dealt with.

If you swim straight in Athy, then it would prob be faster than a pool but not by much id say.

There wasn't a great flow on the river compared to the year before if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Well Mick,
    It all depends on what level of swimmer you are and how cute you are at swimming in open water. By that I mean swimming in someone's slipstream and spotting as it's different to swimming in the pool. Also you've the added influence of bumping into other swimers.
    I wudn't consider myself a strong swimmer at all and always stay at the back of my wave in the swimming leg at the start to avoid any contact with other swimmers. Last year i did the sprint swim in Athy in 13mins 41sec. To give you an idea of comparision I did the same distance swim in muckno mania tri in Castleblayney in 15mins and that was roughly a month later. I always find it to be one of my faster swims and I've managed to do 8 sprint tri's over the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Wetsuit mandatory, goggles recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

I was quicker in the Joey Hannon 50m pool swim than TriAthy last year, but I'm a crap swimmer, or at least I was back then, and didn't swim very straight.

It's not Ireland's fastest Olympic tri - Joey Hannon is faster (but bike leg is a wee bit shorter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Anyone know if it would be a big deal to switch from the Standard distance to the Sprint in this race? I signed up for the standard a while back but I'm not sure I have the distance covered in training. I was at a tri talk the other night and the recommendation was that I should have at least 1.5 times the distance covered in each discipline before the race. I have done 60km on the bike (was wrecked after it mind!) and 16km runs but not recently and I've never done over a 2km swim.

I have my first tri coming up at Valentia Island so I might wait till after that before making up my mind but it would be good to know if the option would be available.

Advertisement