Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 weeks and counting

Options
  • 16-01-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all.

I quit on 02/01/10. I never tried before. I am 31 and have been smoking since I was 14 (About 20 per day). I actually didn't plan any date to quit. I had a very bad chest infection over the Christmas period but i was smoking through this which made it worse. I went to the local Tesco on the quit day to grab a few essentials. I smoked my last cigarette in my car on the way there and i was thinking i'd buy a pack in the shopping center. I got what i needed and went towards the counter where they sell cigarettes and do the lotto etc. There was a big queue there and i wasn't in the mood to queue up (Probably the best decision i ever made although i could have won the lotto that night :)). Instead i thought i'd get them in the shop on the way home. On the way out of Tesco there was a chemist. I passed it as i usually do and a thought came to my head after seen a nicorette advert on the window. " I wonder what would happen if i tried to give them up as I never did before " So in I went and asked for a supply of patches. I got the 15mg ones. I stuck one on when i got home. My wife was looking at me as if i had two heads. She's a non smoker and has been on to be a while about me quitting. I always just shrugged it off.

So that was my first step.

I was on the patches for 2 days and found them irritating on my skin. I went back to work on the 4th of January and forgot to put on the patch that morning. I was thinking that it would be hell for the day but it wasn't that bad. I have went cold turkey since the 4th. Some cravings have been bad but i have challenged them. Every time i got/get one I end up asking it is that the best you can do (People are thinking now that i should be in the looney bin for talking to my cravings but hey its working for me).
    I find the cravings are getting easier as the days go by and not as frequent. I'll try to update this post as i go along so stay tuned :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

gafarrell wrote: »

(People are thinking now that i should be in the looney bin for talking to my cravings but hey its working for me).
    I find the cravings are getting easier as the days go by and not as frequent. I'll try to update this post as i go along so stay tuned :D.

I wouldn't sweat it! do whatever it takes to get through it. I found the first three weeks the most difficult. Believe or not it really does get a little easier as time goes on. I am a little over six months smober now, did it cold turkey as well and while it can still be a PITA the worst is definitely over.
    I can confidently go to social gatherings where a lot of people smoke and not feel I'm going to cave in, which was my initial fear when I first quit.
    So much so in fact that I avoided a lot of social situations where I knew that I would be surrounded by smoke for the first few weeks to ensure that I wouldn't weaken and where that may not have been necessary- it worked for me.
    Anyway I think that you will find this forum very helpful and supportive in your quit. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Best of luck dude! Keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

That's brilliant, keep it up.:) The first three weeks are the hardest.

Another challenging time is when the novely has worn off, i.e. you're over the OMGWTFOMGOMGOMG I've quit smoking......then you are on your own. Sounds like you are focussed and determined to do it though. Maybe start putting the money you would have smoked into a jar and treat yourself in a month or so to something really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Just a quick update.
    So far so good. I had some bad cravings alright this week. Part of my job is driving alot aroud Munster. I find the car really bad as thats the place i used to smoke alot of my cigarttes. I didnt cave in yet though. I starting bring my own lunches with me to avoid the temptation of been in a shop and buying them :). Halfway through week 3 so hopefully it will get easier from now on. I'll treat myself to someting nice next week with the money I'm saving :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Hi all.

Off them now for 5 weeks. I must say the last week or so have been a lot easier so hopefully i'm over the worst of it. I still get cravings now and again but I now know how to handle them and the only last for a minute or 2 anyway. I am going to treat myself to something nice on my 6th week anniversery next week :).
    Health benifits so far is that I can breath alot better. My skin is alot clearer and not as grey looking. I used to have these weird small white hard spotty things on my face which have now dissappeared completly.
    I must watch my diet alright as I have put on a few pounds so I might join a gym next week.
    So far so good and still looking foward to a smoke free 2010 :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement