Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old to start weightlifting?

Options
  • 15-10-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm Male, 47, just over 6ft and 95kg. For the last 20 years my exercise regime has primarily been based on treadmills, cross trainers and spin classes etc from Oct to April and 5k and 10k park run type events + road cycling up to 50km's in spring/summer.

I never spent any time doing weights but recently had a knee operation and part of the rehab required me to build up my quads and glutes so I started using the weights section of the gym. I didn't think I'd enjoy it at all but I do and with winter firmly here I'd like to start a program to see if I can build strength and muscle over the winter particularly my chest, arms and shoulders as my upper body is actually quite weak/under developed.

Would something like the Stonglifts 5X5 be appropriate or at 47 would I be wasting my time and better off just doing my leg rehab exercises and leaving it at that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're not too old at all. Just ease into it and I'd definitely recommend a few sessions with a trainer to show you the correct technique for the compound movements but after that, you'd be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks Alf, appreciate the encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not at all. If for no other reason, weight training is good for your bones.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hey OP fair play for taking the plunge.

Out of all the programmes I've tried the one I've got most results out of is German Volume Training. I'd give that a try. http://www.strengthsensei.com/introduction-to-the-german-volume-training/

Have a chat to a trainer in the gym get him\her to show you the correct movements and away you go.

Become familiar with deadlifts!! Not only will you love them they are the king of movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

cronin_j wrote: »
    Hey OP fair play for taking the plunge.

Out of all the programmes I've tried the one I've got most results out of is German Volume Training. I'd give that a try. http://www.strengthsensei.com/introduction-to-the-german-volume-training/

Have a chat to a trainer in the gym get him\her to show you the correct movements and away you go.

Become familiar with deadlifts!! Not only will you love them they are the king of movements.

GVT for someone who has never lifted a weight before is like taking out an ant with an atom bomb.

OP will see positive adaptations with ANY form of resistance training long before requiring percentage based tempo training to elicit muscular growth etc.

Def agree that getting instruction on correct technique a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

I hope you take this advice on board and go for it. It makes me sad that people of any age could think they are too old for any sort of physical activity. You could skydive if you were 100 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I hope you take this advice on board and go for it. It makes me sad that people of any age could think they are too old for any sort of physical activity. You could skydive if you were 100 years old.

I am indeed. I've been travelling the last two weeks and have another weeks travel coming up the week after next but that should be it for the next six months. Once I'm back from the next trip I'm going to book a session with a trainer in the gym and get to grips with form and technique for the Stonglifts 5X5 and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

I am indeed. I've been travelling the last two weeks and have another weeks travel coming up the week after next but that should be it for the next six months. Once I'm back from the next trip I'm going to book a session with a trainer in the gym and get to grips with form and technique for the Stonglifts 5X5 and see how I get on.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I have started Stronglifts 5x5 in Sept (twice a week due to other commitments) coming from relative inactivity for a decade, though I played competitive sports throughout my adult life up until then. I have never enjoyed or utilised weight training up until now, preferring either cardio or team sports themselves instead.

Funnily enough, I chose it following advice from a physio to strengthen my musculature following a knee procedure. I started out with just the bar and it felt a bit "easy" to just go through the movements to start with, but I now realise that it is all about getting the form sorted out in the beginning. Things are getting much tougher now but I am really enjoying it. I am definitely feeling the strength benefits albeit my body is letting me know about it.

Ironically, I have had no knee pain so far. Additionally a longterm shoulder problem (years of irritation) has disappeared since I started the programme.

Go for it! Don't be embarrassed about starting with light weights - use it to hone the technique. There is so much info on the web site to help. Get the gym instructor to check out your form occasionally to make sure you get a third party opinion for safety reasons, and you are away.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sugna

Your never 2 old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

When I hear people say they won't do such and such because they're too old I say why are you too old?

You are never too old provided you are capable of it.
    Why would weight lifting be any different.?

The question is though, at 47 can a guy build any significant muscle mass?
    I hear things about a man's hormones gradually declining in his 40s and reducing his ability to build and retain muscle mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

The question is though, at 47 can a guy build any significant muscle mass? I hear things about a man's hormones gradually declining in his 40s and reducing his ability to build and retain muscle mass.

Diminished returns does not mean it gets reduced to zero. It is still very beneficial to weight train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Blacktie. wrote:
    Diminished returns does not mean it gets reduced to zero. It is still very beneficial to weight train.

What sort of diminished returns are we talking about here? 10%, 20%, >50%. ?

Could good supplementing help things along?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What sort of diminished returns are we talking about here? 10%, 20%, >50%. ?

Could good supplementing help things along?

No idea. I'm pretty sure the Diminished returns are due to lower testosterone levels so anything legal isn't gonna help you there

Advertisement