Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Players - Past and Present

Options
  • 28-01-2008 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

Being an Eagle since 1996 I've seen some great players in the blue and yellow. Cousins was and still is the number one hero. Such a fantastic talent.

Back in the day Glen Jakovich, Peter Matera, Peter Sumich and Chris Mainwaring were all Eagles players I was privileged to see play in the flesh. In that era, the likes of Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett Sr., Stephen Kernaghan, Wayne Carey, Jason Dunstall and Paul Roos were all players I liked to watch. Only one man can rival Cousins though and that is James Hird. What a player and a great ambassador to the game. Disgusted he retired at the end of last season.

Of the current Eagles crop, I'm a huge fan of Daniel Kerr, Adam Hunter and Darren Glass, who is the premier full back in the game. Honourable mentions too to Dean cox, Tyson Stenglein and Brent Staker.

Thinking outside the box, Gary Ablett Jr. is special. Lance 'Buddy' Franklin is exciting, as are Jimmy Bartell, Peter Burgoyne, Dale Thomas, Fraser Gehrig, Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Lloyd, Matthew Richardson and Jonathan Brown.

And yourself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Like yourself, being an Eagle fan, its hard to look past the likes of Cousins, Judd and Kerr for a better midfield combo that has ever been on the field. Absolutely awesome when they got going. Just shows how close they were last year bringing the Pies to overtime without Judd and Cousins. Hopefully can keep the production line going and fill the huge void that will be left with the pair of them gone.

From other teams, Hird was a legend alright, and Michael Voss and Jonathon Brown for the Lions, Sav Rocca was great too, and especially seeing him now in American Football punting for the Eagles. Shane Crawford was great in his prime, still does a good job now, Nathan Buckley another legend of the game, and Wayne Carey (minus his off field marital scandals!) Some of the newer crop which I rate highly would be the likes of Riewoldt, Bartell, Ablett Jnr, Pavlich and Dale Thomas who I think will be a star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tonton zola

Being a saints fan, I would have to say as far as favourite player goes, it's a toss up between Gehrig and Robert Harvey With harvey's mullet shading it for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I cant go into much history as I only started following it for the last two years. However as a Saints fan it has to be The "G" train, he just a beast that guy.

Always keep an eye on the Irish lads though and its enteresting to see more and more come through each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Buddy franklin is a Fucking gun ! I will add more , but go buddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

It has to be Gerigs chiselled goodlooks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I don't know about "past" because I only became a fan of the game in 2005.

So, I'd have to say Barry Hall.

And for his heroics in the finals that year, Nick Davies.

And that guy who was with the Lions, he had a goatee, what was his name?

after a quick Google.

Akermanis. Loved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

DesF wrote: »

And that guy who was with the Lions, he had a goatee, what was his name?

after a quick Google.

Akermanis. Loved him.
    he's the guy that kicked the crap out of peter canavan in international rules, fair play to him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Akermanis is playing with the Western Bulldogs since last season. Gary Ablett and James Hird were the best I 've seen. Of the current players Chris Judd and Jonathon Brown are something special
    Paxo

Advertisement