Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mbappe is the real talent at PSG and next superstar player, that is who they should be throwing everything at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

martyos121 wrote: »
    Plus, I would’ve thought the best way to get out from Messi’s shadow would be to stay in the same team as him and outperform him. If he was ever going to show the world that he’s better than Messi (it’s impossible though, he’s simply not as good), it would be to steal his thunder at Barcelona where he has all the tools to make it happen.

Neymar role at barca was to provide suarez and Messi with a platform, neymar wasn't the focal point and he couldn't outshine Messi in that role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,004 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Neymar role at barca was to provide suarez and Messi with a platform, neymar wasn't the focal point and he couldn't outshine Messi in that role

Roles change though, especially there. Messi has operated from all sorts of different areas, as has Suarez. I mean, in Suarez second season there he did well enough to become their focal point ahead of Messi, and outshone him for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is insane. Messi basically owns that Barcelona team. You don't get to do anything that Messi is not happy with. No chance he'd be given the opportunity to try and outshine Messi.
    I agree that he isn't and will never be as good as Messi.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is insane. Messi basically owns that Barcelona team. You don't get to do anything that Messi is not happy with. No chance he'd be given the opportunity to try and outshine Messi.
    I disagree that he isn't and will never be as good as Messi.

And yet Messi was a key part in shifting the focus to Suarez a few years back, swapping places with him, moving into the supporting right channel role and shifting Suarez centre, where Suarez went on to dominate the league. Messi actively stated that that switch was his idea even.

To be honest I don't think Messi is as much of a megolomaniac as some people think. You're right that he definitely has to be on board with changes, but if those changes improve the team as a whole, he seems to be grand about it. Above all he seems to want to win, rather than just to be the star. Especially as the years go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If he was truly as good or could be as good as Messi and he believed it, he’d have stayed there and aimed to prove it. Simple as that.

He went to Ligue 1 for the money and to get away from Messi’s spotlight, because he could never live up to his brilliance and he knew that. He was likely reminded of it in training every day of his Barcelona career.

Perhaps one day when Messi begins to decline, Neymar might then be on an equal level with him on the pitch, but Messi’s peak is akin to Everest, and Neymar will never be able to climb that high.

Disagreeing that he’ll never be as good as Messi, that’s insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neymar is 27 and Messi is 32. So at some point Neymar will be better than Messi but he will absolutely never be better than Messi at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

JPA wrote: »
    Neymar is 27 and Messi is 32. So at some point Neymar will be better than Messi but he will absolutely never be better than Messi at his best.

It's already too late.

I don't know what happened my post. It should read that I agree, not disagree, that he is not as good and never will be as good as Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Neymar was better than Messi the night they overturned the PSG tie with an historic 6-1 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Origi was better than Messi the night Liverpool overturned a historic 0- 3 lose into 4 -3 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Origi was better than Messi the night Liverpool overturned a historic 0- 3 lose into 4 -3 win.

That should be post of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

dmigsy wrote: »

Can any team afford his wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

klose wrote: »
    Can any team afford his wages?

Could see a loan deal with Real still paying a proportion of that crazy contract. £600k plus a week and it still has 3 years to run. His agent played a blinder there.

Which club that can afford him has the best golf courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dmigsy wrote: »

Really very few teams that could be involved here - PSG, Man Utd, Bayern, possibly Inter or Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

There's no way Spurs are paying his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1152894963153289217

Bale is turning into quite the headache. Probably will end up at a desperate Bayern Munich; seems money is his main concern so he won't have a load of clubs pleading for his signature in 2019.

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1152901250322710528

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1152870795120656384

I kinda expected Arsenal to have a look at taking him back, he was named the player of the tournament at the African Cup of Nations and feel his style suits the PL down to the ground.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1152719079142252545

ADL will want him on a free no doubt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bale is surely destined for China.

I can see Munich taking a chance on him with Ribery and Robben gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bale with all his baggage and wages, don't think he fits the Bayern profile.

Bale right now doesn't fit many clubs profile for signing a player.

Reckless spending for the sake of it seems to be over for all clubs even the likes of PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't think Bale to Bayern is too likely; it's not the kind of move they tend to make. Age, injuries, wages, etc - it just doesn't look like a particularly good deal for any club at the moment. Even if they get him out the door, you'd imagine Real will be covering part of those wages for years yet.

Bayern moved quickly to bolster the defence at the start of the summer but haven't done much since - I wonder will David Alaba end up as a winger/midfield option for them next season, as he is for Austria?

They have Lucas Hernandez, who can play CB and LB, now, so it might give them the option of using Alaba further up the pitch. Kimmich, Pavard, Sule and Hernandez as a back 4 maybe?

They were linked to Leroy Sane earlier in the summer too - he'd make more sense than Bale. A huge wedge of cash but as a German international and potentially world class talent, he could epitomise everything that Bayern want to be for the coming decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

CSF wrote: »
    Bale is surely destined for China.

If he's having so much trouble with Spanish, imagine him trying to get his noodle around Mandarin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bale/pogba swap .. bitta cash .. only move I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Which club that can afford him has the best golf courses?

Celtic or rangers so. Might have to take a 99% wage cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Bales quality isnt in doubt. Its his injuries and wages. If you can get Real to subsidise them then he is well worth the risk imo for any team.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Bales quality isnt in doubt. Its his injuries and wages. If you can get Real to subsidise them then he is well worth the risk imo for any team.

I'd question his passion & I'm sure I'm not alone, if he wanted to leave a team who doesn't want him he might find suitors quick.
    His agent seems to be saying he doesn't have to go & is happy staying at a club who don't have him in their plans. That's been the narrative since March or April & it's now nearly August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd question his passion & I'm sure I'm not alone, if he wanted to leave a team who doesn't want him he might find suitors quick.
    His agent seems to be saying he doesn't have to go & is happy staying at a club who don't have him in their plans. That's been the narrative since March or April & it's now nearly August.

He has been treated like sh1te by the fans and the board, to me its just a bit of pride. He probably doesnt want to leave either. There is a lot of stuff going on there that most dont know but it doesnt mean whoever he joins next wont get a committed player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Fekir to Betis rumours heating up and a deal is expected this week. Abidal said to him that he should go to Betis as well. I get the feeling Barca are going to see how he does with us for the year in terms of injuries and how he fairs in La Liga and then swoop in for him next year. To be honest if he helps us get into Europa League I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

He has been treated like sh1te by the fans and the board, to me its just a bit of pride. He probably doesnt want to leave either. There is a lot of stuff going on there that most dont know but it doesnt mean whoever he joins next wont get a committed player.

Madrid fans treating players like ****, never heard that before...

Must be the worst set of fans around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Fekir to Betis rumours heating up and a deal is expected this week. Abidal said to him that he should go to Betis as well. I get the feeling Barca are going to see how he does with us for the year in terms of injuries and how he fairs in La Liga and then swoop in for him next year. To be honest if he helps us get into Europa League I'll be happy.

Betis is a serious step down in all fairness for him.

Captain of 3rd in Ligue 1 with champions league football to 10th in La liga, I just don't see the sense in it, surely a better team are willing to take a punt on him

If he had pride he'd take a pay cut & have left by now but he's had no genuine interest for a reason. He wasn't first choice last season before Hazard arrived, the club dont want him, fans don't want him & most importantly his manager doesn't want him. So the last thing keeping him there is a wage that no other club will match, if he loved living in Spain I'm sure he'd have learned the language by now.

Maybe he does well at his next club but if he has no intention of leaving as his agent stated I don't know what game time he is expecting next season when Real have Hazard, Vinicius, Asensio & Rodrygo. Maybe Isco & Vasquez will still be around too. Along with Benzema & Jovic he may need to convert back to a left back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Betis is a serious step down in all fairness for him.

Captain of 3rd in Ligue 1 with champions league football to 10th in La liga, I just don't see the sense in it, surely a better team are willing to take a punt on him

Weren't liverpool madly after him last summer, suprised there not jumping in on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Weren't liverpool madly after him last summer, suprised there not jumping in on this

He went to Liverpool, agreed terms, and did his medical, and then Liverpool pulled out of the deal. Whatever happened that day is probably the reason they haven't been back, even for a cut-price. And whatever it was is presumably the same reason no other big team is in for him either.

ERG89 wrote: »
    If he had pride he'd take a pay cut & have left by now but he's had no genuine interest for a reason.

Pride at what cost though? Football is a profession for these lads first and foremost, and for the wages he'd be getting elsewhere, he'd probably be losing around 400k per week. Don't think any of us would be taking that % loss on our wages to go somewhere more professionally satisfying. It's the equivilent of dropping from a 60k annual wage to a 20k annual wage for us. Not happening.

Pretty easy story I guess after zidnaes comments.

But if they want to give him away for nothing, and my understanding of the chinese league is correct then they can pay him ridic wages.

If he moves for 0 though its hard not to see european clubs taking a chance on him,

Pretty easy story I guess after zidnaes comments.

But if they want to give him away for nothing, and my understanding of the chinese league is correct then they can pay him ridic wages.

If he moves for 0 though its hard not to see european clubs taking a chance on him,

Yeah, China makes the most sense... they've become reluctant to pay massive fees now since the new rules came in a while back, where when buying players external to China, you have to pay a matching fee back to the Chinese FA, so every fee effectively becomes doubled. i don't believe this applies to wages though, so if they could get him for a low fee, they could probably afford his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He went to Liverpool, agreed terms, and did his medical, and then Liverpool pulled out of the deal. Whatever happened that day is probably the reason they haven't been back, even for a cut-price. And whatever it was is presumably the same reason no other big team is in for him either.

I think it was pretty well reported that there was an issue with the cartilage (or lack thereof) in his right knee that meant a higher risk of re-injury (he had previously torn his right ACL and had a couple of follow up injuries after returning) and a higher possibility of developing arthritis. Liverpool wanted to renegotiate the fee to be lower and more dependant on meeting appearance milestones, and Lyon refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bale should go back to Spurs.Back up or play along side Kane but a good combo, just need the wages right for that.

Kane would want comparable wages as Bale and rightly so.

Levy would never agree to that.

• His wages have pretty much scuppered what should be a player looking to still play in the most competitive leagues.
    Like he's still only 30. He should take a wage cut rather than go to China if he is still aiming to be one of the top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Whatever about Bale and his wages/injuries, etc. he deserves more respect from club and fans.

Real hadn't won the Champions League in 12 years before he signed.

He scored in the 1st final.
    Assisted the only goal in the 2nd and scored in peno shootout.
    Started the 3rd final
    In the 4th he was MOTM v Liverpool

That alone should be legendary at some clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah but he suffered the fatal flaw of not being Ronaldo, in a team that contained Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Whatever about Bale and his wages/injuries, etc. he deserves more respect from club and fans.

Real hadn't won the Champions League in 12 years before he signed.

He scored in the 1st final.
    Assisted the only goal in the 2nd and scored in peno shootout.
    Started the 3rd final
    In the 4th he was MOTM v Liverpool

That alone should be legendary at some clubs

Anywhere else it would be, but as has been mentioned by a previous poster the Real Madrid fans are for the most part the most fickle and entitled of any set of fans in world football (and it's not even close)

Morzadec wrote: »
    Anywhere else it would be, but as has been mentioned by a previous poster the Real Madrid fans are for the most part the most fickle and entitled of any set of fans in world football (and it's not even close)

Yeah normally with stuff like this there's an element of the abuse mainly coming from "fans" that's aren't really fans but in Real Madrid it comes from everywhere, the locals are probably even worse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There always has to be a villan Bale, Pogba , Lovern, Ozil.....it's the sameat every club. It helps if they're foreign apparently
    Bale's problem in recent years is injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Update on the Fekir rumour, apparently they have chosen Betis as no other club would include his brother(who is rubbish by all accounts) in their first team squad.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There always has to be a villan Bale, Pogba , Lovern, Ozil.....it's the sameat every club. It helps if they're foreign apparently
    Bale's problem in recent years is injuries

Normally stirred up by the press too. If you just look at man United for example it seems to rotate between Pogba, Young and Jones depending on who the press decide to dislike for a little while. Normally has very little to do with actual performances or attitude it's just twisted that way.

Advertisement