Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

osarusan wrote: »
    Players that cannot manage to put the ball within the area when taking a corner, which is pretty much all of them.

It must be some mental thing, to need to extract every last millimetre, when it really makes no difference.
    This is pretty good:

In short, corners just aren't that useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

I wasn’t really concentrating the last couple of pages. I was playing fifa on the Xbox - Call of Duty: Saipan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This is pretty good:

In short, corners just aren't that useful.

Was just about to post this.

Good video. I don't usually like that channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I have been a critic of the amount of exposure that the women's game in general gets in the media, examples of which are in this very thread. At times, I'll admit, I've verged on being sexist, such is my hatred not so much of their sport, but over the coverage given to it.

Less than 1 hour last night has seriously affected my thinking. I watched England v USA for the first half and then the last 10-15 minutes of the match.

I did see a few games in the World Cup a few years ago, when the standard was truly abysmal, but if last night's match is anything to go by, it's improved beyond recognition since then. This is probably due in no small part to the increased coverage that I have so vehemently condemned in the past.

So, the thing in football that now grinds my gears is that I've been so wrong to write off something that could actually benefit the game I love. There are probably a few things that the women's game could teach the men's game, such as an apparent lack of cynicism and a more respectful approach to referees (even allowing for the Cameroon team antics).

Yes, it was less than a full match I watched, but I was hugely impressed with the bit I saw.

Men and women are different, men are generally a lot more outwardly aggressive and arrogant than women so I doubt the good example set by female players will do much to teach the men.

There's also the fact that sports are copycat by nature and the more seriously the women's game starts being taken the more cynical the players may possibly become.

The women's game is fine I just think the media treatment of it needs to improve not necessarily more coverage just better quality of coverage. We've seen that in the last few weeks every single time there has been a big talking point and discussion where criticism is directed towards some of the teams or players any man who dares issue a critique of anything is risking being accused of being sexist, this has to change they should be entitled to face the same criticisms the men face, people never hold back criticizing male players so why should they with women if you want people to engage with the sport you need the media and all fans to feel free to criticize and have proper debate not continually patronize the players.

Also the coverage needs to move away from the patronizing oh' their all such inspirations to young girls nonsense that afflicts womens soccer (and all womens sport), I am sure most of the players just want to play and win they probably don't give a toss about being role models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Men and women are different, men are generally a lot more outwardly aggressive and arrogant than women so I doubt the good example set by female players will do much to teach the men.

There's also the fact that sports are copycat by nature and the more seriously the women's game starts being taken the more cynical the players may possibly become.

The women's game is fine I just think the media treatment of it needs to improve not necessarily more coverage just better quality of coverage. We've seen that in the last few weeks every single time there has been a big talking point and discussion where criticism is directed towards some of the teams or players any man who dares issue a critique of anything is risking being accused of being sexist, this has to change they should be entitled to face the same criticisms the men face, people never hold back criticizing male players so why should they with women if you want people to engage with the sport you need the media and all fans to feel free to criticize and have proper debate not continually patronize the players.

Also the coverage needs to move away from the patronizing oh' their all such inspirations to young girls nonsense that afflicts womens soccer (and all womens sport), I am sure most of the players just want to play and win they probably don't give a toss about being role models.

I think that will always be the case.

Look at ladies GAA football in Ireland
    Now I know it amateur and a small market but it has been on TV for the best part of 20 years thanks to TG4 and still the majority of the crowd are ladies, especially young girls.

The players will always be big role models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a thing that annoys me, more something that baffles me.

Why do managers in football continue to get big paying jobs despite have a generally average at best record.

Next up, I give you Steve Bruce at Newcastle. I'd nearly put my mortgage on him getting the sack before his contract is anywhere near up.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

NIMAN wrote: »

Why do managers in football continue to get big paying jobs despite have a generally average at best record.

Next up, I give you Steve Bruce at Newcastle. I'd nearly put my mortgage on him getting the sack before his contract is anywhere near up.

Why?

FAT SAM!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

NIMAN wrote: »

Why?
    In Newcastle's case, it's a bit different. Ashley wants someone who won't rock the boat and might do just enough to keep them up. Local lad as well so might appease some of the fans.

But yes, the Pulis/Hughes/Allardyce/Warnock/McLeish/O'Neill merry-go-round is confusing. An appointment from that group, in this day and age, is a sign of a sheer lack of ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

In Newcastle's case, it's a bit different. Ashley wants someone who won't rock the boat and might do just enough to keep them up. Local lad as well so might appease some of the fans.

But yes, the Pulis/Hughes/Allardyce/Warnock/McLeish/O'Neill merry-go-round is confusing. An appointment from that group, in this day and age, is a sign of a sheer lack of ambition.

Much as I hate Warnock at times (he's even a fervent Brexiteer) he did a great job to drag Cardiff up and almost kept them there in very difficult circumstances. He's very good at a certain level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd have a grudging respect for what he's achieved but, at PL level, the best he'll ever do, along with rest of them in 2019, is avoid relegation.

• Advertisement

I'd have a grudging respect for what he's achieved but, at PL level, the best he'll ever do, along with rest of them in 2019, is avoid relegation.

I wonder though, would even someone like Pep give the likes of Burnley a fighting chance of winning the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I wonder though, would even someone like Pep give the likes of Burnley a fighting chance of winning the league?

Don't be silly.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Don't be silly.

Yeah, obviously it wasn't a serious question.

I was trying to say that the best some of these teams can realistically hope for is to avoid relegation, so the likes of Allardyce and Warnock, etc, may well be a good fit for them. Scrappers who have proven a few times that they have just enough to survive a relegation dog fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Megan Rapinoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Megan Rapinoe

I dread her.

I haven't went onto the ESPN website for the past 2 weeks and stopped watching some of the ESPN discussion shows I've been recording in order to avoid her and any discussion of her.Best decision I've made this year regarding my entertainment choices.

She's a pure attention seeker who may have some valid points but I get the feeling that if she wasn't benefiting from it herself she wouldn't give a toss.

On a wider point the continual politicization of sports in the past few years has been unbelievably tedious a lot of people watch sports on order to get away from the drudgery of everyday life not have to deal with it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

So it turns out (shock horror) that PP orchestrated the whole Huddersfield sponsor stuff for publicity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49042610

Just find them incredibly tiresome.

Also - the "banter" websites that continuously post windup material every time Utd/Liverpool/whoever lose - I think it makes the whole online dynamic so much more inflammatory and toxic, and all for a few RTs & likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

1. When people say "Europe" but they actually mean teams playing Champions/Europa League and a top-four league. Like when they discuss if a player like Rooney, Vela, or Ibrahimovic can play in Europe.

2. When people describe a team like Manchester United as average even though they finished 6th in the Premier League and made it to the last eight in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sky commentators saying "bringing the ball under his spell". Have heard it once or twice today, was 7/8 times in last Leeds game. Infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rio Ferdinands watch. It’s bigger than the touch screen for analysis on BT sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

This perpetual teething period for VAR that pundits and commentators seem to be stuck in that has gotten a bit long in the tooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

razorblunt wrote: »
    Rio Ferdinands watch. It’s bigger than the touch screen for analysis on BT sport

He probably needs it tbh, he's never been great at keeping time for places he has to be :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Miracle Flat Weekend

is it mandatory on BBC/Sky that Alex Scott has to be on every freaking show, now on Goals on Sunday and the Upcoming Dancing with the stars, probably will be on the matches later today on sky...MOTD later tonight.....ugh its overkill with her, for an average at best pundit, she's everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The use of VAR to measure milimetres between a players arm and shoulder for offside decisions when the system is not accurate enough for it

Its suppose to be obvious decisions the ref got wrong and benefit of the doubt is suppose to go to the attacking team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Listening to sky sports esp Gary Neville banging on about the fall and fall of utd..

Ffs, they've had 2 successful managers in their history. The chances of finding another Ferguson is low, so just get over it.

There's 5 other teams more deserving of the screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Dempsey wrote: »
    The use of VAR to measure milimetres between a players arm and shoulder for offside decisions when the system is not accurate enough for it

Its suppose to be obvious decisions the ref got wrong and benefit of the doubt is suppose to go to the attacking team

I’d prefer if any part of the attacker is in line with the defender then it’s onside

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

When it comes to offside they check all goals, not just obvious errors. They use the technology to the best of their ability and make an unbiased call based on the evidence they see in front of them.

Nokotan wrote: »
    When it comes to offside they check all goals, not just obvious errors. They use the technology to the best of their ability and make an unbiased call based on the evidence they see in front of them.

I understand that but its not an obvious decision or an 100% accurate call if they have to freeze frame on what they think is the moment the ball is played and use graphics and argue where the players shoulder and arm is

I understand that but its not an obvious wrong decision or an 100% accurate call if they have to freeze frame on what they think is the moment the ball is played and use graphics and argue where the players shoulder and arm is

I pretty much address those points in my original post.

I doesn't have to be obvious if it's offside. All offsides will require freeze frames to decide whether someone is offside or not, it's literally how it works.

If after using the technology available you determine that the player was only a little bit offside you can't allow a goal because it was close

Nokotan wrote: »
    I pretty much address those points in my original post.

I doesn't have to be obvious if it's offside. All offsides will require freeze frames to decide whether someone is offside or not, it's literally how it works.

If after using the technology available you determine that the player was only a little bit offside you can't allow a goal because it was close

Im saying the technology is not foolproof or 100 accurate and its making decisions where it should be saying its inconclusive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Im saying the technology is not foolproof or 100 accurate and its making decisions where it should be saying its inconclusive

cricket does that for lbw, allowing umpire's call allowing for errors.

So something that 'looks' out or 'looks' not out to the eye is not overturned by technology. It would be an instant improvement and less use of VAR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

"They love their number 9's up here on Tyneside" -unlike fans of other teams of course, who utterly despise their main strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sabat wrote: »
    "They love their number 9's up here on Tyneside" -unlike fans of other teams of course, who utterly despise their main strikers.

Did Chelsea love Khalid Boulahrouz though? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not a major grind, I will admit. But just watching the Napoli Barca friendly from the weekend on Premier Sports and the camera work is nearly all from a birds eye view. It's takes a bit of getting used to but it's great for seeing the shape, movement etc of the teams.

It (kinda, not really) grinds my gears that we don't get more of views like that during games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

PARlance wrote: »
    Not a major grind, I will admit. But just watching the Napoli Barca friendly from the weekend on Premier Sports and the camera work is nearly all from a birds eye view. It's takes a bit of getting used to but it's great for seeing the shape, movement etc of the teams.

It (kinda, not really) grinds my gears that we don't get more of views like that during games.

That just got me thinking, be cool to have a press the red button option to have a choice of different camera angles for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jack Grealish's hair.

It's even more annoying now than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

AidoEirE wrote: »
    That just got me thinking, be cool to have a press the red button option to have a choice of different camera angles for games.

There was a video of a game filmed from a drone directly above the centre spot doing the rounds last week. Never knew how realistic sensible soccer actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

is it mandatory on BBC/Sky that Alex Scott has to be on every freaking show, now on Goals on Sunday and the Upcoming Dancing with the stars, probably will be on the matches later today on sky...MOTD later tonight.....ugh its overkill with her, for an average at best pundit, she's everywhere

She ticks 2 "Diversity" boxes, possibly 3. I actually like her but the obvious shoehorning to tick the boxes is nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

These new accidental handball rules are ridiculous and totally over the top imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think the problem with these offside rules and new handballs etc is they’re trying to make the rules too black and white. Too clear cut.

They are trying to take all interpretation out of the rules of the game which is a bad move I think.

To me VAR should only be used to correct blatant errors, so for example the city goal at the weekend where sterling was offside. Linesmen didn’t flag, on review it was extremely tight and no one could be sure even after replays that Sterling was offside, so therefore it’s not a clear and obvious error and the goal should be given IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think the problem with these offside rules and new handballs etc is they’re trying to make the rules too black and white. Too clear cut.

They are trying to take all interpretation out of the rules of the game which is a bad move I think.

To me VAR should only be used to correct blatant errors, so for example the city goal at the weekend where sterling was offside. Linesmen didn’t flag, on review it was extremely tight and no one could be sure even after replays that Sterling was offside, so therefore it’s not a clear and obvious error and the goal should be given IMO.

Offside is black and white you are either onside or offside, linesman didn't flag on Saturday because they have been told to not flag on tight calls to let play continue and then let VAR sort it out, if the end result is the ball in the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I don't disagree but then you get pundits, players and managers whinging "well I don't mind the decision against us today but last week a different ref made a different decision in similar circumstances and all we want is consistency".

It's the same as a ref booking someone early. He'll have pundits on his back saying "ah let it go, it's a derby and it's very early to be booking". He doesn't book and he's criticised for lack of consistency.

The refs and the authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AidoEirE wrote: »

Sky used to do that. You could choose between 3 or 4 camera angles iirc. I can only assume people didn't use it if they ditched it. It was quality. I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I don't disagree but then you get pundits, players and managers whinging "well I don't mind the decision against us today but last week a different ref made a different decision in similar circumstances and all we want is consistency".

It's the same as a ref booking someone early. He'll have pundits on his back saying "ah let it go, it's a derby and it's very early to be booking". He doesn't book and he's criticised for lack of consistency.

The refs and the authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Yeah pretty much they should just say "all we want is us to get all the marginal calls in our favour, every week"
    Consistency is impossible when there is human factor of refs trying to manage a game where players and managers all are trying to play to the limits of the law and perhaps beyond them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Miracle Flat Weekend

She ticks 2 "Diversity" boxes, possibly 3. I actually like her but the obvious shoehorning to tick the boxes is nauseating.

youd swear shes the only woman whose ever seen/have knowledge about football...she's the female jenas or Redknapp, says the obvious things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Alex Scott actually talks a lot more sense that a lot of the other English pundits. I couldn't care what gender she is, give me her over the likes of Paul Merson or Redknapp any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

MOTD panel absolutely disgusted that the late man city goal was ruled out because it accidentally came off a hand.

I would love someone to go into the recent archives and get an example of when the MOTD panel were disgusted because there was a goal allowed when in the lead up it clearly came off a hand.

Would they be happy if a hand was directly used to score a goal even if it was a complete accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=470&v=_dB5jQZy754

Solanke vs West Brom. Same two lads as last night.

Shearer; Solanke has gained and advantage by handling the ball......It's unlucky but it's the correct decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was just about post the same thing.
    Sky Sports, Sky Sports News, countdown clocks, Jim White.

• Advertisement
Advertisement