Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good book for 13-14 year old girl?

Options
  • 25-11-2019 3:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

My daughter loves reading and recently completed Harry Potter.
    What books would you recommend as an Xmas present?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My daughter loves reading and recently completed Harry Potter.
    What books would you recommend as an Xmas present?

The David Williams books are great reads for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

check out: the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer or the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Michael Morpurgo books are always really popular with that age group

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Courtn2

Would second a few of these - I have an 11 yr old who loved Harry Potter

David Walliams - loved them when she was younger but may be too young for her - great reads so depends on her sense of humour.

Michael Morpugo - good choice, liked War Horse.

Artemis Fowl - shame to say she never really took to them. The story jumps a bit and could be repetitive.

His Dark Materials - she’s loving the BBC series, but wouldn’t look at the books beforehand- they’re a bit on the dark side but v good.

Another suggestion is the Book of Learning trilogy by ER Murray. Current favourites and very well put together. Published by Mercier in Cork.

Or maybe time for Lord of the Rings?

Edit: another set of great books is the Land of stories series by Chris Colfer - seriously recommend these

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

David Almond's "Skellig" and its sequel "My Name Is Mina", and "Island".

Garth Nix's "Sabriel", "Lyrael", "Abhorsen", "Clariel" and "Goldenhand", "Across the Wall" and "To Hold The Bridge" (aka "The Old Kingdom")

Gabrielle Zevin's "In the Age of Love and Chocolate", "Because It Is My Blood" and "All These Things I've Done" (aka the "Anya Balanchine series")

I'd second Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series of books, but also his "Sally Lockhart" series: "The Ruby in the Smoke", "The Shadow in the North", "The Tiger in the Well" and "The Tin Princess".

• Advertisement
Advertisement