Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with tree.

Options
  • 15-07-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I recently (last autumn) planted a new tree in my front.
    Although it gets full sun, it's a challenging spot as it's windy, how ever I staked it well and it appear to do quite well.

That was up until a few weeks ago when it was very very window. Unfortunately the top growth (branch that grows straight up) snapped off a bamboo support I had in place. I know, I should have removed this, but alas...

I pruned the broken branch so it would be a clean cut at an angle, but I'm now worried about the tree. It doesn't look to be in as good a condition, and when I look online "topping" trees (which effectively happened here) appears to be really bad.

Any help/tips/advice you can offer I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

In my experience, some trees will put up an alternate "leader" over time, so you might get a kink in the stem but it will recover. A pic would help the more learned on here to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks a mill, I'll try get a photo up shortly.

Here are some pics showing overall tree and the prune site.
    Hope this helps.
    Sorry for focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Exactly the same thing happened to me recently - thankfully with a not-particularly-precious tree. I used a stake that was not entirely suitable, because the proper thing was not available and the tree topped itself against the top edge of the stake. Lesson learned. I am just going to leave it and hope for the best, I have no idea whether it will put up a new leader but I'll give it a season or so and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think you should remove the bamboo as it is tied to the tree too far up and stops the top from moving in the wind and getting stronger.

Is it a cherry?

If so there is a disease called silver leaf that is transmitted in wet weather so any further pruning you need to do should be done in dry weather in the summer. It does not look like a very big break to me so I'd be surprised if the tree did not recover fully. Some people deliberately top their trees to stop them getting too tall so it could work out well.

• Advertisement

It is, and I will - it was the bamboo that caused the problem in the first case.
    Thanks Macraignil, thats making me feel better. It was beautiful when in bloom earlier this year.

BTW, do you think it's looking ok in general? It seems sad to me but maybe I'm paranoid.

Zulu wrote: »
    It is, and I will - it was the bamboo that caused the problem in the first case.
    Thanks Macraignil, thats making me feel better. It was beautiful when in bloom earlier this year.

BTW, do you think it's looking ok in general? It seems sad to me but maybe I'm paranoid.

The leaves are drooping a bit more than I'd expect so it might be a bit thirsty. Check if your soil is dry and if it is it would be no harm to give it a good soaking a couple of times if the weather is dry. Some people water plants very regularly when they are newly planted but I think it is best just to give them a bit when it is needed as leaving them get a bit dry will encourage them to find water for themselves and get rooted better in the ground.

to be honest, it was always going to be an uphill battle - the "soil" it's planted in is pure crap.

When I dug the hole I quickly got down to shale that was put down as (I guess) foundation for the paths and next doors driveway. I figured it would die but low and behold (and thankfully) it didn't. My hope was to keep it alive until it's roots got past that crap.

Since it's been planted I've given it a good feed of "all purpose miracle gro" every 2 weeks. A good feed being 2 (9l) watering cans.
    I was afraid to ramp up the watering in case I rotted the roots/over watered... Is that a concern?

Thanks again for your advice

Zulu wrote: »
    to be honest, it was always going to be an uphill battle - the "soil" it's planted in is pure crap.

When I dug the hole I quickly got down to shale that was put down as (I guess) foundation for the paths and next doors driveway. I figured it would die but low and behold (and thankfully) it didn't. My hope was to keep it alive until it's roots got past that crap.

Since it's been planted I've given it a good feed of "all purpose miracle gro" every 2 weeks. A good feed being 2 (9l) watering cans.
    I was afraid to ramp up the watering in case I rotted the roots/over watered... Is that a concern?

Thanks again for your advice

As I said earlier it is my view that too much watering just makes the plant slower to produce the stronger root system it will need to be healthy in the long term. The extra nutrients in the miracle grow may have contributed to the leaves being a bit bigger than I would have expected and look a bit floppy because of this. High levels of nutrient can also contribute to rapid soft growth that might have contributed to the growing tip being easily broken in the wind. If it was my tree I would stop feeding it and only give it water if the ground has got very dry. The roots should have got through the builders foundation stones/hard core at this stage and they should be stretching into the sub soil where they should be able to find adequate nutrient and water in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Definitely looks like it needs water. Also, probably just a bit sad looking as it is so wide yet not tall. If it was me I would give it a year to see how it fills out. This time next year, it might be taller and the main trunk may start growing up again. Then you can consider pruning lower branches eventually to encourage it to grow tall and people on the footpath can walk under it. Looks like a nice spot for a cherry, I bet this will look really nice in a few years

I would also consider taking off the bamboo stake and maybe loosening the grip on the tie at the bottom. Letting it sway a little bit in the wind, while still having it staked so it won't fall over, should help with the root growth and it won't become dependent on the stake , especially since it is a year old now

• Advertisement

Bamboo is now gone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Absolutely agree about stopping the fertiliser. The tree does not look very happy to me, I think maybe you were a bit too optimistic about the roots going through the shale, I suspect that if you were to look at the roots they would still be 'pot shaped' and making no effort to spread into poor soil.

so stop the fertiliser.
    How do I encourage the roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cherry does root near the surface - look at any old cherry that is planted streetside: the roots begin to show through the surface.
    It also suckers when cut: and cuts are prone to disease, as mentioned above.

I wouldn't give up hope, though - cherries are tough little codgers.

Add plenty of organic compost all around the base of the plant and over a square metre around it.
    Water if dry - it's only a baby. They don't need fertiliser, though a little potash wouldn't hurt.
    And let it endure one winter: it might surprise you next Spring!

If not - the chop!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    If not - the chop!
    :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Better to cut it now and replant than it hanging on for a few years only for you to eventually replant anyway :)

Advertisement