Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I pick your brains? Citizenship test...

Options
  • 14-07-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of background....

A while back, my better half ordered a watch from Creation Watches. This one, to be precise: https://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-eco-drive-53/citizen-eco-drive-ew2533-89x-diamond-accents-womens-watch-17715.html

Anyway, it arrived today (went with the cheap delivery option, so got the crappy box. Stung for customs charges anyway ;( ).

Immediate feeling from her of 'that's a fake - Paypal dispute'. I'm not so sure. I'm not entirely convinced of fakery. Feels a bit flimsy, but then again, it's a small, light, ladies watch. i'm wavering about 10 points either side of 70% it's genuine. I've ordered from them before, and been happy with what arrived. And what would be the point of cloning a relatively inexpensive watch?

Case Back. Text: JAPAN MOV'T GN-0-S WR 8 BAR CITIZEN WATCH COMPANY ST. STEEL E011-R010784

Face. All looks kosher

Strap and clasp. Bit flimsy and rattly

Documentation. Warranty and stamped dealer page (sorry - bit blurry)

3.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

So, what do the local experts think? The strap is her real issue. Feels cheap, and she feels she's been had. I'm not so sure. The case and face look good to me. I'm thinking nice leather strap and all will be well with the world.

Verdict? Real or no real?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I haven't looked at any of your pictures (as I couldn't tell one way or the other from looking at any pictures), but creation watches has an excellent reputation. I very much doubt they would sell you a fake. A quick google shows me the watch is as cheap as €100 on some other sites. It's a cheap watch, hey it's flimsy :)

On watches of that sort of value, I usually throw the bracelet straight in the bin, or I keep it just so I can sell it on with it at some point. Certainly wouldn't wear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What I was thinking. Will deliver the news. Wish me luck!

I don't see any reason for concern. In particular the case back and dial look authentic as does the clasp. You might expect shoddy branding/etching/stampingn here, on a fake. The quality of the bracelet is consistent with the price.

Nice looking watch too. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

See .. it thought you wanted a history lesson

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

From the pics it certainly doesn't look like a 335 euro rrp watch. I'm not sure I see the point in other-side-of-the-world shopping for an eco drive ladies citizen. I'd have thought that market was very well catered for here on the high street, or indeed something like watchshop.co.uk or even Argos.

Either way, a 300 quid watch might be "dainty" or "elegant" but definitely should not come across as cheap and flimsy.

First impressions can stick so do you think the ship has sailed for her on the watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

fat bloke wrote: »
    Either way, a 300 quid watch might be "dainty" or "elegant" but definitely should not come across as cheap and flimsy.

Except it's a 100 quid watch. A cheap and flimsly bracelet is par for the course here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Huh - it's the first time I've seen an 8 BAR WR watch (that I know of) - interesting that they couldn't go to 10 or just stick with 5... specifically 8 makes me curious :D

Advertisement