Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why am I more productive at night?

• 14-07-2020 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I've slowly come to the realisation that I am much more productive at night. I've bent over backwards trying to be that person that jumps out of bed at 5am, goes to the gym, bullet coffee and all that other bs.

The reality for me is that I've always been a night person and have been fighting it my whole life. I've always preferred staying up gong to bed late and waking up late. Night time is so much more productive with no distractions. I'm talking about taking out the paint brushes at 10pm, answering unread work email, tidying up the back garden, getting into the attic and sorting out old boxes and clothes.

I also love how it's so much quieter at night. Does anyone else have this where you come alive at night?

When are you most productive 45 votes

"Regular" hours
    91% 41 votes
    Early bird
    8% 4 votes
    Night owl
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, our body clock is set to night mode and the rest of the world conspires against us.

One night we shall rise up and reset the balance, until then the alarm clock shall remain our nemesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm not automatically dismissing your suggestion you are more productive at night, but I have noticed that most people who suggest they aren't morning people tend to be rather feckless and lazy. It depends on what you mean by being productive. Playing computer games, browsing the internet, and watching Netflix until 3am in the morning isn't productivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yep, couple of days off work and my body reverts to bedtime at 3am, throwing on a load of washing at 2am.

Normal working day, have to be dragged out of bed every morning, but can happily switch back in the laptop at 10 pm and work away for a few hours..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im much more productive at night, No matter how long I continue to go to bed at 11pm and get up at 7am, I have never adjusted, I am like a walking zombie until 12pm at least, no matter how much sleep I get at night, I wake up feeling like ive been hit by train. If I sleep to my own body clock and go to bed at 3am, get up around 12 or 1pm, get the same number of hours sleep, I get up with energy and come evening time I have energy to burn.
    During the pandemic I was able to sleep to my own body clock and got more work done than I ever have while actually in work. I was much happier and less stressed as I wasnt exhausted all the time. I also redecorated a room in the house, did a much needed spring clean, sorted my diet out and cooked meals every evening.
    When I get up at 7am every morning I havnt the energy to do anything or get anything done besides work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

I recently listened to Dr. Matthew Walker's book Why We Sleep (an excellent book that covers a lot of aspects of sleep) and in it he explains that the population is split between approximately 40 percent morning people, 30 percent night owls, with everyone else falling somewhere in the middle.

There's real science behind it, which I won't even try to explain right now, as I'm getting quite tired :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'm not automatically dismissing your suggestion you are more productive at night, but I have noticed that most people who suggest they aren't morning people tend to be rather feckless and lazy. It depends on what you mean by being productive. Playing computer games, browsing the internet, and watching Netflix until 3am in the morning isn't productivity.

I blame the weather. I'm not going to be stuck inside on my day off if the weather is good. When it cools down a bit in the evening it is the ideal time to start tearing into a few jobs I been putting off. You know yourself the usual craic, bit of rewiring, add a few breakers, put in a few lengths of cat6, start breaking out the doorway to the indoor swimming pool.

Not all days are equally productive, other times I might just stroll out to the shed and change a few dozen spark plugs or do a few oil changes, might have a hard day's work behind me or been on the sauce the night before and only feel like I'm able for jobs I've done plenty of times before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I don't think it is anything like over protective. I'd always prefer to study at nights. I work on my important projects in nights and prefer to watch my favorite shows at night. It is common among introverts.

I think nights are better to improve your focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m definitely a night owl. If I was just let follow my own rhythm, I’d go to bed at 2am and get up at 10am. 7am is the earliest I can get myself up at in the morning, no matter how early I went to bed. On the rare occasion I have to get up at 4 or 5 (for a flight or something) I’m a total zombie for 2 hours. But no matter how early I get up, I’m still wide awake at midnight and beyond. I’ve no problem sitting down to start a personal project at 11 at night.

My mother was the exact same. My father was the total opposite. He went to bed at 8.30 every night, and got up at 5 and headed out to work, even though there was no need for him to start until 9. At one stage he had a key for the place he worked, so he could just let himself in, but later on he had to wait for security staff to open up first, but they didn’t do so until 7am. He’d still get up at 5, cycle into Dublin City centre, and then used to go to 6am mass just to kill time before work, because he just couldn’t hang around in bed or even at home. He had to be out, starting his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm one of you too.
    I can currently wfh and I'm not answering phones so once my work is done, it's up to me when to do it. Mostly, I've been at it in the evenings and into the night.
    I also went back studying part-time a few years ago. All my revision was done at night, mostly in bed in lieu of a book.
    My brain and thinking definitely work better at night.
    I read somewhere before that there's a theory your body clock corresponds to the time of day you were born. I doubt that's true.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm the same but it's more down to me thinking "Oh sh!t, it's 12am and I've gotten sweet fk all done today". I have to get the work done as I would have nightmares of being at work the next day with nothing done.

Early in the day its a case of too much to do, too much time to do it. When it gets late all of a sudden you are on a strict time limit.

• Advertisement

My mother was the exact same. My father was the total opposite. He went to bed at 8.30 every night, and got up at 5 and headed out to work, even though there was no need for him to start until 9. At one stage he had a key for the place he worked, so he could just let himself in, but later on he had to wait for security staff to open up first, but they didn’t do so until 7am. He’d still get up at 5, cycle into Dublin City centre, and then used to go to 6am mass just to kill time before work, because he just couldn’t hang around in bed or even at home. He had to be out, starting his day.

I wonder if there is a family connection, if I sent a text in my family group chat at 1 or 2am, all of them would probably respond... send it to my husbands family group and I would get murdered tomorrow for texting in the middle of the night...

If we check the poll in the morning, will the result have shifted to the other side? :D

If we check the poll in the morning, will the result have shifted to the other side? :D

Interesting actually, make a note of the poll results at 2am....

When all the weirdos emerge into the light!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I've slowly come to the realisation that I am much more productive at night. I've bent over backwards trying to be that person that jumps out of bed at 5am, goes to the gym, bullet coffee and all that other bs.

The reality for me is that I've always been a night person and have been fighting it my whole life. I've always preferred staying up gong to bed late and waking up late. Night time is so much more productive with no distractions. I'm talking about taking out the paint brushes at 10pm, answering unread work email, tidying up the back garden, getting into the attic and sorting out old boxes and clothes.

I also love how it's so much quieter at night. Does anyone else have this where you come alive at night?

I’m the exact same!! I’m talking about middle of night, its when I got most my college projects done and when I’m more creative! I think the quietness helps too! I know an artist who can only work at night!

When all the weirdos emerge into the light!

Or the weirdos are all asleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Sleep is for the weak

Where's all the night owls?

I'm fine with either. I am constantly underslept no matter what and can be productive early morning or late at night.

Four hours sleep last night. Woo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Why am I more productive at night?
    Coffee?

• Advertisement

I work a rotating shift, where I'd be on nights and days..I kind of find there seems to be two modes of operation so to speak.. probably down to hormone release I figure, but your day has a different dynamic kind of if you're up at 7 in the morning vs if you're working nights..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Night night Morticia, time for us bright day people to takeover.

Night night Morticia, time for us bright day people to takeover.

Well your poll didn't change anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m the exact same but my partner is the opposite. Always up early and in work early, so he goes to bed hours before me.

Has definitely caused a few arguments when he wants to spend the evening watching tv with me and I’m getting my burst of energy and just wanna be productive. The last thing I want to do is sit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Night owl, I like just how the night filters out all the crap you have to deal with in life, both issues and people....

I do my best thinking at night, from sorting out problems, issues and making plans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Well your poll didn't change anyway :D

It was a bit late at night for me to be voting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

That auld bullet coffee 'ud be a bit dangerous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve friends, family and my girlfriend who can’t get any handle on why I’m such a night person... I just don’t fight it, you are who you are. I’d loved to have been one of those people, jumps into bed at 10pm, head hits pillow and goodnight.... in my dreams I am, when I can dream that is.

Advertisement