Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand General Election 2020

Options
  • 13-07-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

The NZ GE is slated for 19 September 2020.

The leader of the National Party resigned today after only being leader of his party and leader of the opposition from mid May 2020 to mid July 2020.

He is quoted as saying that he felt he didn't have the what it takes to lead an opposition.

“It has become clear to me that I am not the best person to be leader of the opposition and leader of the New Zealand National party at this critical time for New Zealand,” he said

What will the election bring it you have fireworks this early on.

Comments

New Zealand media were reporting earlier that is having a "breakdown"

Even without this issue, the Nationals already had an uphill battle -- a first-term government hasn't been beaten since 1965, and this Labour government is incredibly popular.

Quite a shocking political career end for Muller, though. I believe he was selected from the backbenches, and had a completely new management team beside him. Let that be a warning to any political back-bencher appointed beyond their experience.

As an aside, I often work late in the evening and listen to to Radio New Zealand in the background, originally out of Covid curiosity.
    It's a good news resource if you like that kind of thing, worth checking out for their long election campaign, and the labour market in the aftermath of Covid (we might need it)
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/radio

Advertisement