Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion timer to replace old switch

Options
  • 11-07-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi I have recently upgraded my heating controls and am now looking to to retrofit in a immersion timer with boost function. My immersion is a duel element immersion. Can I get a timer with boost function that can be retrofitted to replace my old immersion switch (bath/sink switch).

I have being looking online and it seems that these timers have only one switch live terminal going to load side (immersion element). These duel immersion element have two switch lives, one for bath and one for sink.

Any help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Kealyboy

Here is a picture of my current switch.

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Here is a picture of my current switch.

And I am looking for a timer like this from screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lap-7-day-digital-immersion-timer/1804r

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can install a boost timer before the bath sink switch. Usually you don't replace the immersion switch at all. You will still need to be able to switch from Bath element to sink element

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You can install a boost timer before the bath sink switch. Usually you don't replace the immersion switch at all. You will still need to be able to switch from Bath element to sink element

Yes I was thinking that but I just taught there would be a boost timer on the market that would accommodate both and could just replace the immersion switch.

Can you tell me what is the purpose of box/wiring next to the immersion switch? I presume that is the point where I can wire my boost timer? LNE supply side of boost timer (Inlet) to LNE load side of boost timer (outlet)?

Just done a bit of research with regards to this. Immersion heater is to be wired from consumer unit via a 16amp breaker to a 20amp double pole switch and then to immersion heater.

My immersion is wired from the consumer unit via a 36amp breaker straight to immersion switch. I presume this box is where the 20 amp double pole switch was be located but instead was just looped from there and went to straight to that other switch which was compatible for the dual element Immersion (bath/sink option).

Long story short this would be the ideal place to wire in my boost timer. Hope my analysis is correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's the 20amp double switch in your hand in the photo. Sink bath switch is what they are talking about.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's the 20amp double switch in your hand in the photo. Sink bath switch is what they are talking about.

Oh right, Wonder why they put that 36 amp breaker in then and what’s the purpose of those wires being looped in the box beside the immersion switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

@Kealyboy wondering did you go ahead with this project? I'm looking to do the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

You have to keep the existing switch with the bath/sink element and put the new timer/smart switch before it.

The current switch has to be left in the on position and the new timer does the work.

I fitted this one and would recommend it. Can be switched via google home etc and you can set timers via the app.

It also has a physical button that can be programed for any time you like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07843J914/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement