Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh bracelet question

Options
  • 09-07-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,899 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought an old Seiko diver and it was on an aftermarket shark mesh bracelet - the rough type just 9 beads wide and with no solid end links

And I have to say, I like it very much. It's more comfortable than any bracelet made with bigger traditional links because it is obviously far more flexible. And it has the good (shiny) looks of a metal bracelet

Now my wrist swells quite a bit, which is my main problem with any metal bracelet. I need at least a good 10mm between shortest and longest position and I like to make an adjustment on the fly. The Rolex easy lock system is brilliant, but only provides 5mm. I haven't tried the Rolex glide lock system, but that is probably exactly what I'm looking for. And I believe its patent has expired, so there's no ethical reason not to buy a "cloned" aftermarket glide lock clasp / bracelet

So my question: is there a shark mesh bracelet available (22mm) anywhere that has a glide lock? Or can a glide lock be bought separately and fitted to a shark mesh bracelet?

I couldn't find the answer to this online but I did find that Staib were recommended for mesh bracelets

Any pointers much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Not sure about glide lock, but I have an old Citizen 22mm mesh that has the old bar and clip clasp.

The bar bit clamps to the mesh with a toggle so it it is infinitely adjustable. It can also be opened with a paper clip, the nib of a pen etc, so is easily adjustable on the fly.

You could hunt out something like that as an alternative. I'd imagine they are cheap too.

This is the badger:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZE5wtfPLc

Mine is old and battered, as a mate actually donated it for tear down and skills practice. I managed to resurrect it and use it as a grab and go beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Watchgecko have a few options for mesh straps with the type of clasp Lorddrakul is on about for £28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Lorddrakul wrote: »

You could hunt out something like that as an alternative. I'd imagine they are cheap too.

I think out of all bracelet types, a Milanese/shark mesh is the one you really need to be careful about what you are buying. You want need a nice thick well constructed one. A lot of the cheaper ones are very thin and just look plasticy and can ruin a watch. When it's done right like you see on Omegas new Bond watch or the Breitling Ocean classic, it looks the business. I'd be skeptical of anything that isn't costing a few hundred to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,899 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The one that I have is similar to this:

h-link-shark-mesh-brushed.jpg?canvas.width=1000&canvas.height=1000&canvas.color=ffffff&w=1000&h=1000

I prefer this style without the solid end links / where the mesh goes all the way to the lugs. My clasp is similar, but I only have three positions for the spring bar with nearly 10mm between the shortest and the longest position, which is ok, can change it within a minute really, but I need a tool to change the position. Would prefer something that I can do on the fly without tools, in seconds.

redlead wrote: »
    I think out of all bracelet types, a Milanese/shark mesh is the one you really need to be careful about what you are buying. You want need a nice thick well constructed one. A lot of the cheaper ones are very thin and just look plasticy and can ruin a watch. When it's done right like you see on Omegas new Bond watch or the Breitling Ocean classic, it looks the business. I'd be skeptical of anything that isn't costing a few hundred to be honest.

The German Staib seems to be recommended most. I have no problem spending a few bob for a quality mesh strap, but it would have to suit my needs too, and haven't found it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

unkel wrote: »
    The German Staib seems to be recommended most. I have no problem spending a few bob for a quality mesh strap, but it would have to suit my needs too, and haven't found it yet.

yeah looking at their website, they look very good quality. I've never seen this before on mesh but this one looks to have a normal buckle sort of set up on it. That would suit you perfectly as you could adjust like a leather strap:

http://www.staib.de/wp-content/uploads/watchbands_0850.jpg

Yeah, saw that too. Perhaps the way to go, but I would have really liked a solution with a clasp. I've always had an aversion to watch bracelets (of any sort), but it my biggest problem with them (fixed length) could be resolved, I'd be happy to wear them more, much more. Can't beat the looks of a bracelet, just not their comfort.

Advertisement