Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toast pre-buttered?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Back in the wild long ago when I used to eat meat I left home and took up residence in a room in Ranelagh in the house of an old woman who took in lady students of good manners. Every morning she would present me with prebuttered toast and a single sausage that she had quartered ....lengthways! This was the biggest shock I encountered between leaving my hamlet and adjusting to big city life. Well that, and the fact that she rummaged daily through my knicker drawers in search of what I can only presume to be hasheesh. Strange times.

Ranelagh, you say? She was definitely a witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Was this in Cork? There is a place in Cork that does this and it drives me bizerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

CucamarMor wrote: »
    Was this in Cork? There is a place in Cork that does this and it drives me bizerk.

No. I'm sad to hear that.

I do remember once having a fry-up in West Cork and you got onion rings with it. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I didn't realise coke was controversial. Not unusual in my experience to see people have a mineral with theirs. Bit of fizz!

We do it, but we don’t talk about it. Probably best drop it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where's that?
    Need to know so as to avoid.

• Advertisement

Where's that?
    Need to know so as to avoid.

Nash19. The toast is good and very buttery mind you, but i find it altogether weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Ever try toast with butter on both sides. Its a completely different experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Bizerk. Bizarre and berserk! You sir/madam have astonished me. Your good deed for today. I thought this was a new invention but apparently this word has been around for some years! It deserves more usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

lickalot wrote: »
    Ever try toast with butter on both sides. Its a completely different experience.

Sounds like you'd have to lick a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Raw toast

Dough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

If I was presented with pre buttered toast I would presume the management had no clue how to run a cafe and never set foot in the place again. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes if that's how they run their establishment.

Thinking about this further..

The speed with which the butter is put on toast out of the toaster is fairly important too, so maybe that's the rationale behind it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

If I was presented with pre buttered toast I would presume the management had no clue how to run a cafe and never set foot in the place again. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes if that's how they run their establishment.

+1.

Went to a local café for breakfast at the weekend. Was really looking forward to the experience after the lockdown.

Not only was the toast buttered, but they had the sausages cooked, the egg fried and the coffee came already poured into the mug.

Never again.

Allinall wrote: »
    +1.

Went to a local café for breakfast at the weekend. Was really looking forward to the experience after the lockdown.

Not only was the toast buttered, but they had the sausages cooked, the egg fried and the coffee came already poured into the mug.

Never again.

That is not the same thing at all. It would be equivalent to the coffee arriving with milk in it. It is simply not the done thing in a clivilised establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

jimgoose wrote: »
    That is not the same thing at all. It would be equivalent to the coffee arriving with milk in it. It is simply not the done thing in a clivilised establishment.

Ok. I never really go to civilised establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Exactly!! What else are they buttering behind closed doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'd prefer pre-buttered toast than getting the basket of toast down that would require 8-10 pieces of butter, but only 3 in the fecking thing :)

As for buttered bread being toasted! Animals!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is nice to be able to decide for yourself what you want to do with the toast rather than having it pre-determined for you. I know cafes are different but it tends not to be an issue in hotels these days as you put the bread into the big toaster machines yourself and take away the toast yourself!

Where the toast is done for you, the normal situation outside of hotels, my only problem with unbuttered toast is if it is brought to you when it is no longer hot and you miss that lovely taste of the melted butter!

I have never really given the matter serious consideration before but, on balance, please leave the decision with the customer. Give them a choice at least.

...it tends not to be an issue in hotels these days as you put the bread into the big toaster machines yourself and take away the toast yourself!...

I dislike those things, I find it difficult to get nice, properly-done toast out of them. Especially since there's usually a couple of other goofs standing around waiting for you to finish, with their bloody bread in-hand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

pre buttered toast is an abomination .

I will put butter on toast or bread if eating it on its own but as I am often planning to make a bacon butty with the toast and I do not eat butter on either bread or toast when in a sandwich form.
    I would have sent it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When I first saw the title I thought it was someone putting on butter before they toasted it (and yes before people ask I have heard and someone admit to that). As for the OP ya I be perplexed about getting my toast with butter on it. As for the coke I suppose it's better then the pint of beer I saw someone on holidays having with the fry in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

pre buttered toast is an abomination .

I will put butter on toast or bread if eating it on its own but as I am often planning to make a bacon butty with the toast and I do not eat butter on either bread or toast when in a sandwich form.
    I would have sent it back.

Oh your missing out 2 slices of toast a thin layer of butter the strawberry jam sausage. It is heaven. I know may sound weird but so good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

If the toast is going to be cold when it gets to me, I don't mind if they butter it so it can melt in.

But don't come to me with cold toast and one of those mini butters straight out of the fridge :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd be a bit wary of pre-buttered toast but because I like the butter to melt in, it would be preferable to getting cold toast with rock hard butter, as the esteemed member of The A-Team has just said.
    lickalot wrote: »
    Ever try a toast sandwich, as in toast between two slices of untoasted bread? Interesting texture and I'm sure you could experiment with it a bit, regarding other things to add to it.
    Baggly wrote: »
    Go away out of that.

So i decide to make some toast.

Get the bread.

My kid grabs the bread before i get a chance to toast it.

What is my kid eating?

Bread. Not toast.
    Would you ever put a bit of manners on that brat?!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I'd be a bit wary of pre-buttered toast but because I like the butter to melt in, it would be preferable to getting cold toast with rock hard butter, as the esteemed member of The A-Team has just said.

Ever try a toast sandwich, as in toast between two slices of untoasted bread? Interesting texture and I'm sure you could experiment with it a bit, regarding other things to add to it.

Would you ever put a bit of matter on that brat?!? ;)

Our kids are reflections of us. That is 100% what i did to my da too. Everyone knows food stolen from your parents tastes better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Coke with a fry?... Jesus..
    Yeah Diet Coke would make more sense.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Anyone else read the thread title and expect the bread to be buttered before it was toasted?

Tempted to put some buttered bread under the grill, it sounds lovely. Maybe put some bacon on it, bit of ketchup.

Same principle as frying brown bread in butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I don't know why, but the idea of pre-buttered toast deeply unsettles me.

The Irish Fry is sacred and perfect - it doesn't need such notions and it rightly shuns innovation.

Also it should be accompanied by Tea, or at the very worst Coffee. Not Coke - jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tempted to put some buttered bread under the grill, it sounds lovely. Maybe put some bacon on it, bit of ketchup.

Same principle as frying brown bread in butter.

When my other half makes toast, when the bread is toasted she'll butter it and put back in the toaster for a few seconds probably why the toasters keep breaking

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    When my other half makes toast, when the bread is toasted she'll butter it and put back in the toaster for a few seconds probably why the toasters keep breaking

PsychoWife!?! :D I'm joking but wow - i've never heard of such a thing! I must say I'm a little mindblown.

Advertisement