Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Risk of Aer Lingus Flights Cancellations

• 06-07-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I've been wondering whether to post this here, in the COVID forum or in the Aviation forum. Hopefully, this is the right place.

I see that Aer Lingus currently has between one and two flights a day to Paris. I'm looking at booking a flight to there for the end of August, on which date Aer Lingus is currently showing four flights.

I know it is impossible to tell but do you think there is a likelihood some of them will be cancelled so it is reduced back to about 2 a day? I'm asking because Paris isn't my final destination (I'll be getting a train from Paris) so I do have an alternative but it means getting a connecting flight via the UK with Ryanair. I'm unsure which approach is riskier.

My main concern with the Aer Lingus flight to Paris is that the late evening one will be cancelled. The earlier times don't suit me. Ryanair is showing no flights to Paris that day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

FWIW I was booked on AerLIingus to Chicago on July 16th the Flights are still going but I cant with Ireland and US restrictions
    . The rule on delay cancellations is more than ( depending on your reference - check But 2 hours on European I think.) 2-3 hours on the outgoing flight. return flight does not count. My outgoing flight changed by 1 and half hours. ! The return by more but should not count..

Then this was in the Times last Sun...

"‘This is simply disgusting’: Holidaymakers struggle amid mixed messages" https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/this-is-simply-disgusting-holidaymakers-struggle-amid-mixed-messages-1.4295533?mode=amp

Yes thats moi////

So Monday I rang and was asked what I would like - I said a full refund - and was told no problem - processed - will back on your card in 10 days. Unfortunately by the time you fly it may be all more regularised so even if you did not want to go - normally - you would not be open to a refund, but you may still have the option to change to flight later in the next year..

Dont - ever - give up !!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

I got a flight cancelled to a destination absolutely fine, almost without a reason. Bought another flight for the same day to the same destination with Ryanair. Don't know why Aerlingus did that.
    Anyway I have requested a refund through the website, any luck to get the refund in a reasonable time?
    I finally got money from Ryanair but via PayPal.
    Those f.u.c.k.e.r.s. don't allow to buy tickets with PayPal...shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A lot of airlines are cancelling flight to small destinations.

However, flights to Major cities such as Paris are highly unlikely to be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

i had a flight booked before the pandemic hit to go away for the first week in august. now we don't want to go because of covid.

luckily for us, Aer lingus have decided to change the time for the return flight by more than 2 hours and so we will get a refund (or so i've been led to believe). Otherwise i'd have had to rebook for a flight at a later date (probably next summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

We booked a flight in June with Aer Lingus (France) to travel on 20th July. They recently changed the flight to the following day and reduced the frequency from daily to every second day. Seems to me like they are looking at the load demand for each route and altering schedules accordingly. Haven't noticed the same going on with Ryanair who also operate on the same route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

Anyway is there anybody here that submitted a refund and actually got the money back?
    Is AerLingus worse than Ryanar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

I have flights to Newark for 02 September and if I look on the Aer Lingus website, the flight isn’t showing as operating.. yet EI insist it is so if I cancel then only option is refund of taxes or else change within 330 days. Really not impressed as highly unlikely that flight will actually go as only one a day to JFK.

So feels like have to hold on to last minute to change it or hope that they do actually cancel it, or else stuck losing 2.5k for 5 flights. I know many people in the same boat but just poor from Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

samo wrote: »
    I have flights to Newark for 02 September and if I look on the Aer Lingus website, the flight isn’t showing as operating.. yet EI insist it is so if I cancel then only option is refund of taxes or else change within 330 days. Really not impressed as highly unlikely that flight will actually go as only one a day to JFK.

So feels like have to hold on to last minute to change it or hope that they do actually cancel it, or else stuck losing 2.5k for 5 flights. I know many people in the same boat but just poor from Aer Lingus.

I had exactly this with Aer Lingus to Barcelona. Emailed them like you and they confirmed it was going ahead. Held off on checking in but I had no sooner done so and it was cancelled - as I knew it would be.

I reckon they're waiting for the nervous customer to push the button first so they don't have to refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Anyway is there anybody here that submitted a refund and actually got the money back?
    Is AerLingus worse than Ryanar?

Yes. Took 4 Days. Voucher took nearly 4 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Booked a trip to New York for a few days in December with AL.

Unfortunately for me it was the new deposit scheme, so I paid €310 which left about €450 remaining for me and gf’s flights. Doesn’t have to be paid to October.

I know it’s a long way off but I’d say my €310 is dead in the water as it does stipulate no refunds, full change fees will apply.

What if aer lingus cancel the flights to America in 2020 indefinitely though? Is there any point in me ringing up?

The likelihood of them cancelling before the October cut off line for remaining balance is slim I’d imagine.

Ah well, I took a gamble, at least I’m not losing it all

• Advertisement
Advertisement