Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex watchmaker

Options
  • 02-07-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Does anyone know a watchmaker which deals with vintage Rolex watches ?
    I tried AD in Dublin (Weir and Sons) but they send me to Rolex service center in UK (West Malling) but they asked for 800-900 pounds even without looking at the watch itself.

I'm looking for someone who could tell me more about watch itself, service it and maybe value it.

Regards
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Wibbs in these parts is very good at identifying watches and could give you some background on the watch if you upload some photos of front and back.

You can get it serviced elsewhere other than Rolex. An idea of the model would help with the costs.

If your servicing the watch for resale then a service by Rolex is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Thanks

Wibbs ??

Thing is that no one know what mode it is - on the back it have number of 808 61515 and inside Rolex 20 World Records.

The watch itself:
    518643.jpg

caliber:
    518644.jpg

Regards
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Can you get a picture of the marks on the inside of the back of the case. The stamping might give a hint at the year.

Reading from here - https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogrolexonthedial.php - it could be from before 1926

Edit: Wibbs is a member here who is very knowledgeable on vintage watches.

Here is picture of inside of the watch.
    518661.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

A gentleman who has done some of my watches, Andrew Harding in Bailieborough in Cavan T/A Watch Works has revived some vintage ladies watches which were inherited by friends of mine, including at least one Rolex, they were very happy with the service!

• Advertisement

It's 9 karat gold, and has a Dublin hallmark (that's the M with a line through it).

I'm having trouble finding the sponsor mark.

Edit: Actually what I thought as a sponsor mark would be an 'O' for 1929-1930.

Now to try find a catalogue or something from Rolex for then.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Did you ask iChrono on Burlington road? (Assuming you're based in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

John Donoghue in Kilkenny who I've used in past used to work for Rolex/was trained by Rolex:

https://thevintagewatch.net/#prettyPhoto

Thirdfox wrote: »
    John Donoghue in Kilkenny who I've used in past used to work for Rolex/was trained by Rolex:

https://thevintagewatch.net/#prettyPhoto

I would second John for servicing it if you don't send it back to Rolex to do.

He's been great to deal with on the two watches he's worked on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Going by the 20 Worlds Records,found this Christmas advert from 1927

1927-Rolex-Christmas-Ad.jpg

Another with similar looking watches

ladies-vintage-watches.gif

Have you any background you can share about it? Here is some sold listings from eBay that might give you some idea of the value [Link] .

Also maybe try posting it on the Rolex forums,might have more info on it [Link]

I'm still completely new to this, especially from this time period,really got spoiled later on with catalogues/serial numbers allowing exact information to be found.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your help !

@IrishPayer
    I've seen old adds or Rolex (I like prices on them very much ;-) ) and it looks very similar to Rolex Queen or Princess or any variation of it.

@hitemfrank - looks like you right with production date, talked with David Boettcher from www.vintagewatchstraps.com and he confirmed it date range.

@93cab, @thirdfox (btw your watch is beautiful), @antodeco
    Thanks for you suggestions - for sure I will try to contact those watchmakers next week.

When it comes to the watch - have no history of it as it was show to me by a colleague who due to job loss decided to move to his own business and collect scrap metals and sell to scrapyards. Have no idea from where he getting his stuff but he had a tin can with bunch of watches like casio and seiko etc . One of that was this little gem. He asked me to find out if it is gold casing so he could see it as scrap gold.
    For sure it is worth more hence my quest to find out what it exactly is, find price on it and then maybe service it and sell it for better price ?

Tom

I've spend half or my last night shift reading about other Rolex brands like Marconi or Unicorn on David webpage - amazing !
    Rolex.com should have all that history on their page.
    Also I talked with Rolex repair centre in UK and they gave me an e-mail address of customer.service@rolex.co.uk but it is incorrect and
    customer.service@rolex.com refuses any e-mail sent - strange behavior from them I would say

Advertisement