Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending WiFi to shed.... possible?

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is it possible to extend WiFi signal to shed? As it is there's a very weak signal but not really usable.

Is there a way of boosting the signal out there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I wonder is laying ducting the best option? I guess mesh networks would be more painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi

Is it possible to extend WiFi signal to shed? As it is there's a very weak signal but not really usable.

Thanks.

I got a cheapo Wi-Fi repeater from Aldi a while back. I have it plugged into an outdoor socket that's sheltered. Works grandad covers the shed / garden. How far is the shed from the house / router?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I wonder is laying ducting the best option? I guess mesh networks would be more painless.

Ducting not an option.
    Will look into mesh thanks.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I got a cheapo Wi-Fi repeater from Aldi a while back. I have it plugged into an outdoor socket that's sheltered. Works grandad covers the shed / garden. How far is the shed from the house / router?

Around 10 metres to shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Do you have working electricity / socket in the shed?

• Advertisement

Do you have working electricity / socket in the shed?

Yes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

a pair of powerline adapters, you can get ones with built-in wifi for the shed end.

You plug one in near your router and connect with a network cable. The other powerline adapter goes into the shed or back bedroom...

Network traffic between the two adapters is carried over the mains cable.

e.g.: https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi

Thanks.

That could be rectified. 5GHz wifi is much faster but has shorter range. 2.4GHz wifi has longer range but is slower while being fast enough to do anything most people want to. Most modern routers have both available. You should make sure you are connecting to the 2.4GHz network.

Some routers also have an option to boost signal strength. 5 Year old Vodafone routers always started on 50% or 80% strength for no reason. Interference can make the signal weaker too and WiFi has channels which you can choose between. If you download the WiFi analyser app on Android by Abdelrahman M. Sid you can see which channels have the least use.

If you're not technically minded there are easier options as suggested above.

Graham wrote: »
    a pair of powerline adapters, you can get ones with built-in wifi for the shed end.

You plug one in near your router and connect with a network cable. The other powerline adapter goes into the shed or back bedroom...

Network traffic between the two adapters is carried over the mains cable.

e.g.: https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

Ok cool, looks like a good option. Cheers.

Ok so a follow up.

I actually had TP Links stored away that I forgot I had. Works fine on smart TV in shed, Netflix, YouTube etc all working great.

Bit how can I get firestick working? It's just looking to connect to WiFi network, I want to get it working through LAN.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Ok so a follow up.

I actually had TP Links stored away that I forgot I had. Works fine on smart TV in shed, Netflix, YouTube etc all working great.

Bit how can I get firestick working? It's just looking to connect to WiFi network, I want to get it working through LAN.

Any ideas?

You can get an Ethernet adapter for the fire stick or add a wireless access point to create a WiFi network

You can get an Ethernet adapter for the fire stick or add a wireless access point to create a WiFi network

Thanks, got one and working a treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've some of those TP links, unused too. During the warmer weather I had a Google Mini in the garden to listen to music (Youtube on iPad) via Bluetooth. Connection was OK, but not great. The Mini itself was fine for the BBC, etc. Is it a case of just throwing one of the adapters into a socket in the shed and that'll boost what house wifi signal?

I've some of those TP links, unused too. During the warmer weather I had a Google Mini in the garden to listen to music (Youtube on iPad) via Bluetooth. Connection was OK, but not great. The Mini itself was fine for the BBC, etc. Is it a case of just throwing one of the adapters into a socket in the shed and that'll boost what house wifi signal?

You need to the two of the adaptors plugged in. It is a great and cheap system but sometimes it doesn't work in houses with weird copmental wiring or on very old wiring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You need to the two of the adaptors plugged in. It is a great and cheap system but sometimes it doesn't work in houses with weird copmental wiring or on very old wiring.

I've two in the box. One in the shed and the other in the house, or..?

I've two in the box. One in the shed and the other in the house, or..?
    Yes and connected to the router. Often the one for the house is a bit smaller.

I have the AV600 powerline starter kit, both the same size. I set one up with the router and ethernet, the other in the shed. When I was in the shed my phone said it found the TP link network, but asked for a password. No idea what that is as there's none on the devices or on the box. Anyway, that dropped off and I couldn't find that again, tried pairing again.

Rang TP Link technical support, started off at position 17 in the queue, got to position 1, the announcements stopped, only music after that. Have been on hold for 45 minutes now.

Cost me €10 in Skype credit and didn't get through to a human. I'll try emailing them.

Edit, got onto their live support chat. This model TL-PA4010KIT only works by ethernet, d'oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

I have the AV600 powerline starter kit, both the same size. I set one up with the router and ethernet, the other in the shed. When I was in the shed my phone said it found the TP link network, but asked for a password. No idea what that is as there's none on the devices or on the box. Anyway, that dropped off and I couldn't find that again, tried pairing again.

Rang TP Link technical support, started off at position 17 in the queue, got to position 1, the announcements stopped, only music after that. Have been on hold for 45 minutes now.

Cost me €10 in Skype credit and didn't get through to a human. I'll try emailing them.

Edit, got onto their live support chat. This model TL-PA4010KIT only works by ethernet, d'oh.

If you had an old router lying around all you’d have to do then would be plug it into the TP Link in the shed now and you’ll have WiFi - of course only if you have an old router so may not be much good to you.

Advertisement