Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LeVar's Walrus

Options
  • 13-06-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

What Is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) & the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by Also Starring LeVar Burton.

Why Am I Doing This?
    Well mostly since I now have 3 Walrus Trophies of my own, it would be rude not to host one myself. I spend more time listening to music than I do anything else, and I couldn't live without it. I was heavily involved with the radio station in college, and hosted several shows over the course of 4 years, and after college co-hosted a music show on 98FM for about a year as well. I'm always on the lookout for new music, but also just curious what people will submit for the categories I've chosen.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?
    Honestly either I like a song or I don't, regardless of genre, and I don't want to pigeonhole myself into a certain genre here either, so all I'll say is I have a broad taste in music and am open to anything.

My Categories...
    7 is one of my lucky numbers, so I'm going with 7 categories for this Walrus, and just be thankful I didn't go for my luckiest number or we'd have 23 categories.

1. By The Numbers ; speaking of numbers I'd like a song with a number in the song title for this first category. Simple.
    Green&Red has done this round before, but that was quite some time ago, and before I was even participating in Walrus (although I have since looked back at that round) so more numbers it is...

2. #BlackCultureMatters ; part of the Black Lives Matter campaign is promoting Black Culture by Black Artists, so that's what I want here. A song from a Black Artist.

3. Looks Like Rain, Ted! ; we're big fans of talking about the weather in this Country, and there are plenty of songs about the weather or with references to weather in their song titles, so that's what I want from this category.

4. Animal Instinct ; in this category I want a song from a Band (or Solo Artist) with an Animal in their Band Name, of which there are plenty to choose from (any type of animal - Mammal, Insect, Reptile, Bird, Fish, Mythical, whatever).

5. All Things Heaven & Hell ; after love songs, the most popular subject matter for songs are probably to do with Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons, etc, so anything along those lines is what we're going for here

6. Year of the Rabbit ; I was born in 1987 which was the Year of the Rabbit in the Chinese Zodiac, so I'm looking for a song that was released (as a single or an album track) in one of the Years of the Rabbit, which of the 20th and 21st Century were 1903, 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, and 2011.

7. As Seen on TV ; Television has played a big part in my life and my career, so I've always had a soft spot for TV Theme Songs, which is what I'm looking for here.

Bonus Points...
    For each category I have already pre-selected 5 songs myself... If anyone happens to submit any of those songs in that category they will receive a bonus point, regardless of where they place in the overall ranking. They won't be obvious songs, and it's quite unlikely anyone will actually stumble upon the ones I pick, so don't worry about it when making your decisions; just giving the heads up that this is something that's in play, just to add an extra element to proceedings.

Submissions and Deadline
    Please submit songs to me via PM. I'll be listening on either Spotify and/or YouTube so if there's a particular version of the song you want me to use, send on the link along with your submission.
    Deadline for submissions is June 24th, as I hope to start the reveal at some stage the following week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

3. Looks Like Rain, Ted! ; we're big fans of talking about the weather in this Country, and there are plenty of songs about the weather or with references to weather in their song titles, so that's what I want from this category.

Necro knows (and loves) exactly what I'm entering here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Count me in! Will have list in before the death of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

and in!!
    Some very interesting categories LeVar, the ones I have in mind for mine in comparison feel so mundane. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'll enter too. Some interesting categories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

5. All Things Heaven & Hell ; after love songs, the most popular subject matter for songs are probably to do with Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons, etc, so anything along those lines is what we're going for here

I am after submitting the perfect entry for this to phatkevs walrus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I am after submitting the perfect entry for this to phatkevs walrus!!!

I mean, there isn't a rule saying you can't enter the same song for multiple Walrus' - if anything it might be interesting to see if myself and kev feel differently about the song. Its your decision what songs you want to put in, as long as they fit into the categories the host has gone with... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I am in.

Wow, people are fast!

I think I might have settled on four out of seven and I'm proud of myself :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tenor.gif?itemid=13656265

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just entered

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TV theme was hard

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've submitted my entry.

I had two songs from the same band in mind for the numbers group and two theme tunes.

You may be glad to know that I stayed away as much as possible from metal :P

You may be glad to know that I stayed away as much as possible from metal :P

You may be disappointed to hear then that I do enjoy me some metal... ;)

In fairness though, that's not to say a metal song would score well. Like I said, it doesn't matter the genre, either I like the song or I don't.

9 entries in already. Nice. Hope you're all enjoying the categories, some very interesting entries indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

I'm in, LeVar. PM tomorrow-ish.

I'm in, LeVar. PM tomorrow-ish.

Sound. No rush. I'm not setting a max limit of entrants, so Deadline is June 24th regardless of how many people submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Sent! Some great categories here, especially the TV theme song, i had a few in mind but went with a childhood favorite that's still pretty catchy

tumblr_ole6ahAGyJ1sv6oluo5_400.gifv
    7. As Seen on TV ; Television has played a big part in my life and my career, so I've always had a soft spot for TV Theme Songs, which is what I'm looking for here
    Are you thinking of "normal" songs, which have later been used as TV themes, or specifically written-for-the-show theme tunes?

• Advertisement

tumblr_ole6ahAGyJ1sv6oluo5_400.gifv
    Are you thinking of "normal" songs, which have later been used as TV themes, or specifically written-for-the-show theme tunes?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
    Had a feeling I might get a "no wrong answers in sheep walrus" answer :pac:

Not quite sure how to play this one...

Had a feeling I might get a "no wrong answers in sheep walrus" answer :pac:

This is generally how I feel about it to a certain extent, but bearing in mind that I'll be judging these songs and I have picked the categories for a reason, so if someone enters something that I think is too far removed from the category, I'll PM them back saying that and give an opportunity to pick something else, regardless of how I feel about the song itself. If they don't want to pick a different song, that's fair enough, but I'll be taking in to account it doesn't fit the category when ranking.

Ah yeah, I'll fit the category, don't worry ;)
    Just need to work out which way to go

4. Animal Instinct ; in this category I want a song from a Band (or Solo Artist) with an Animal in their Band Name, of which there are plenty to choose from (any type of animal - Mammal, Insect, Reptile, Bird, Fish, Mythical, whatever).

Just want to clarify, as there seems to be a bit of confusion on this one from a couple of people, that what I'm looking for is a Band/Artist with an Animal in their name rather than a song with an animal in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm in!

Hope this one moves a bit quicker than the last few

tenor.gif

Trigger wrote: »
    I'm in!

Hope this one moves a bit quicker than the last few

tenor.gif

Still 9 days before my sign-ups close and I'd say there's still a fair chance I'll be finished my reveal before you are... :D

giphy.gif

I'm sat in the park and the sun may have got to my head, but this is the most confident I've ever been :pac:

That said, I felt there were two really obvious trump cards and I avoided them. If someone else picks them and scores better I'll be a little annoyed. But if no one picks them at all I'll be really annoyed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I generally prefer to enter songs that might be new to the OP rather than something really well known.

There's definitely a few obvious choices I'll be skipping over anyway.

Should have an entry in before too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

osh wrote: »
    I generally prefer to enter songs that might be new to the OP rather than something really well known.

There's definitely a few obvious choices I'll be skipping over anyway.

Should have an entry in before too long!

I always wonder whether my well known would be the same as someone else's well known.
    For one of the categories I have selected a band that is very popular in Greece but when I mentioned them to colleagues at work I was surprised to see many people haven't heard of them - and I mean not even the name of the band, I got back blank faces.

Having said that, I think a few of my selections here would be very well known songs!! :)

Advertisement