Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistan Airlines flight PK8303 (A320) Crashes in Karachi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

A Pakistan Airlines flight with more than 100 people on board has crashed in the Pakistani city of Karachi, an airline spokesman said Friday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/asia/pakistan-plane-crash/index.html

Just seen on the BBC also: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52766904

Gosh, if there isn't already enough bad news on the Airline front.

Let's just hope there is minimal loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It aborted a landing, reportedly due to possible gear issue. Then lost engine power for some reason, as confirmed by the pilot.

Last messages
    Control: appear to be turning left.

Pilot: we are proceeding direct we have lost engine.

Control: runway available to land at 25

Pilot: Roger

Pilot: Sir Mayday Mayday Mayday Mayday Pakistan 8303

Control: 8303 roger both runways clear to land

There is audio of that transcript too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Reading on AV herald that they had a nose gear issue, then lost both engines on the second approach.

Not many reasons for why an aircraft would lose two engines at once, but there is one glaringly obvious one... its hard not to speculate at this point.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d7a6e9a&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

AvHerald now showing airborne photos with what appear to be scrape marks on underside of both engines. Also quoting report of attempted belly landing that was aborted.

Would have assumed fuel starvation earlier but now could be dual engine failure due to damage from runway contact when attempting to land with a gear failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

RAT is also visible as deployed

Land with no gear, realise after scraping the engines off the runway. Go around, but engines have eaten a lot of FOD so die shortly afterwards

Heavy fire at crash site would suggest there was some fuel onboard

• Advertisement

Would the rear of the engines be scraped like that if the problem was with the nose gear?

Maybe the black marks could be something other than scrapes, like a dark liquid or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

RAT is also visible as deployed

Land with no gear, realise after scraping the engines off the runway. Go around, but engines have eaten a lot of FOD so die shortly afterwards

Heavy fire at crash site would suggest there was some fuel onboard

Have to agree, CCTV video shows High AoA with gear deployed and the aircraft clearly stalling seconds before crash.

Aircraft in question had been grounded for a month before re-entering service as of yesterday. Without a functioning GPWS and or possible mechanical gear issues the crew should have had at least three indications the gear was not down before the inital landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like significant loss of life. BBC article reference "at least 3 survivors" among the passengers and that's before the occupants of the houses.

No marks on the rest of the aircraft at all tho? If it is what it’s starting to look like it is, maybe they copped it just a few seconds too late

(Adding pic to post so save people time going looking for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No marks on the rest of the aircraft at all tho? If it is what it’s starting to look like it is, maybe they copped it just a few seconds too late

(Adding pic to post so save people time going looking for it)

I'm sorry to sound stupid but what is it starting to look like?

• Advertisement

It’s starting to look like they made contact with the ground on landing(with no gear) on the first attempt before going around. The damage to the engines from touching the ground may have been the cause of the failure

***I don’t mean to speculate and it’s purely my opinion from what I’ve read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It looks like they tried a belly landing and bailed out of it, damaging the engines, which in the attached picture you can see have substantial black marks on the underside. I would assume the thinking is this caused the damage that then caused the engines to fail on the ill-fated final landing attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The scorched engines, visible shredding and white smoke trailing from them almost certainly indicates that they made contact with the ground on that first landing attempt.

What's interesting is that rest of the aircraft appears untouched by this initial touchdown which suggests the pilots initiated the go-around before touching down but were already too low and scraped the engines which resulted in the damage we see in those photos along with lots of debris ingested into the engines which caused the catastrophic double engine failure now suspected of downing the aircraft. No doubt investigators will be taking a look at the runway for a clearer picture of that first attempt.

Of course, the initial cause of the accidental/non belly landing will be the key to all this and for now remains largely unknown, it would be irresponsible to speculate too much on what happened to cause that.

Most crash sites are chaotic but seeing the remains of an A320 strewn across such a heavily populated and physically built up area is especially disturbing.

So was told that it looks like the following happened.... they landed nose gear first, then bounced.... after the second bounce they initiated a GA and the PM selected the gear up (or vice versa, this isn’t yet clear) however they subsequently bounced again and this time, no gear and hence the damaged engines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

So was told that it looks like the following happened.... they landed nose gear first, then bounced.... after the second bounce they initiated a GA and the PM selected the gear up (or vice versa, this isn’t yet clear) however they subsequently bounced again and this time, no gear and hence the damaged engines

Though you wouldn't expect a bounce with no gear to absorb the shock of landing, so premature retraction during a go-around sounds more plausible to me.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    premature retraction during a go-around

Yeah this would be my guess also, much like EK521 except this time they managed to pull away before it all went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Plenty of incidents of flaps and gear levers being mixed up on the 320 over the years, could have pulled the wrong one on the go around after a bounce.

Reports are they were at 3,500 ft 5nm out on the first approach. Could also have been mashing the master warning so much on the way down due overspeed that they silenced the gear warning and simply forgot about it.......

Sky have a report that a preliminary report says the plane scraped the runway 3 times in its first attempt. Approximately 4,500ft, 5,500ft and 7,000ft along. There’s also some video showing some of the scrapes on the runway from the engines.

https://news.sky.com/story/pakistan-plane-crash-video-shows-jet-scraped-runway-during-landing-attempt-11994336

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More accurate data here shows that the A320 was much too high and fast on its first approach, and then scraped its engines along the runway at over 200 knots before going around. A typical A320 approach speed is around 140 knots. They were offered vectors to break off the approach so they could correct the problem, but declined. The accident report will not be good and I suspect will contain references to Crew Resource Management. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Looking very like the gear was not deployed on approach, and the crew were not aware of that fact. It's been said that the warnings about that from the plane's warning systems were audible on the tower-plane radio, but that is not substantiated as of yet. Then after failing to realise they didn't have gear down after banging the engines on the ground, one of the crew pushes TOGA and scrape back into the air literally. Engines fail shortly afterwards due to no oil/nofuel, pumps damaged on the first attempted landing, and then the crash is inevitable.

It's fairly clear from photos of the crash scene that the engines weren't appearing to be rotating at any significant speed upon impact.

I'm also awaiting the reports with interest, and I'm also wondering about the CRM in this particular flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Popoutman wrote: »
    Looking very like the gear was not deployed on approach, and the crew were not aware of that fact. It's been said that the warnings about that from the plane's warning systems were audible on the tower-plane radio, but that is not substantiated as of yet. Then after failing to realise they didn't have gear down after banging the engines on the ground, one of the crew pushes TOGA and scrape back into the air literally. Engines fail shortly afterwards due to no oil/nofuel, pumps damaged on the first attempted landing, and then the crash is inevitable.

It's fairly clear from photos of the crash scene that the engines weren't appearing to be rotating at any significant speed upon impact.

I'm also awaiting the reports with interest, and I'm also wondering about the CRM in this particular flight.

I've listened to the ATC audio and a master warning can be heard during one transmission on the 1st approach. We'll have to wait for the report to see what that warning was for.

I agree that it looks like the gear was not down for the first landing attempt. I don't believe they weren't aware of this. It's very strange, the FR24 data suggests that they were travelling at circa 200kts IAS during that landing attempt. Even if they were carrying out a flap 3 landing that would be in excess of the speed limitation for flap deployment. So, they couldn't have been configured for landing. With a functioning GPWS system they'd have heard shouts of "Too Low Gear" and "Too Low Flaps". But the speed alone means they couldn't possibly have been configured and they would have known this.

So potentially they have attempted to land with no flaps or gear but supposedly they haven't made any distress call in advance of this.
    Lots of questions at this point that only the report can answer, thankfully the black boxes have been recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

It was a GECAS bird I think too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

This American Airlaines pilot (Juan browne)gives good info on the crash.

He has several videos on the crash.

Unstabilized Aircraft approach - Explained!

This may have been part of what caused the problem.

More info on Accident.

AVHerald reporting that data has been successfully downloaded from both the CVR and DFDR.

PIA #8303 UPDATE ATC REPORT!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BBC news are reporting that the Pakistani aviation minister, Mr Khan, has reported to Parliament that the initial report into the accident found that the pilots were at fault for not following ATC instructions. Curiously, ATC were blamed for not informing the crew that their engines had collided with the runway on their first landing attempt.:confused:
    There was no problem with the aircraft.

Surely the crew knew better than ATC that they had collided with the runway.?

• Advertisement

Preliminary report published by CAA Pakistan.

https://www.caapakistan.com.pk/Upload/SIBReports/AAIB-431.pdf

So far it seems that the only reason for this crash was the decision making in the flight deck. How any professional pilot could continue with an approach that unstable is beyond me. Perhaps we will learn more in time but right now it seems to have been a senseless loss of life.

Advertisement