Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Seiko Mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

My NH36a arrived today so I'll finally be able to get my save the ocean mod working today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shared this in the main forum as well, but thought I'd post here too (although it's not a Seiko).

This is a Unitas 6497 with a Chinese case, hands and dial.

50667937482_696ce68195_z.jpg

Compared to the Seiko mods, I'd say it was a little bit easier. The larger movement and lack of rotor made it easier to handle. Where I struggled was mounting the second hand (note I knocked the lume out of it). There is a tiny pinion that the hand goes over, and it was really tough going to get a good viewing angle to seat it. When I thought I had it sorted, it fell off and I had to uncase the movement again.

The hand ended up being bent upwards, and got caught on the hour hand. I choose the lesser evil of mashing it down instead of trying to take it off, bend it back into shape and re-seat it.

I also put on the movement holder ring the wrong way around, and it took me way too long to realise. It still went fine into the case, and the crown stem could go in - but the screws for the mounting tabs just wouldn't go in. When I did cop on, it took 5 minutes to sort out.

Not sure what the next project will be - I'll either do this again with a sandwich dial (I miss my Panerai already), or I might re-do one of my SKXs - I fancy a white faced watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Vostok are a great base to mod if you want something different. There's a few sandwich dial options on eBay etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Vostok are a great base to mod if you want something different. There's a few sandwich dial options on eBay etc

I've somehow managed to get back up to 10 watches again, so I'll prob just keep tinkering around with the mod-able ones I have already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - anyone been in touch with neil milliken watches recently? I'm having trouble getting neil on whatsapp or email and he was usually pretty rapid responding. im due my seiko mod back from him a few weeks now and its been radio silence which is a bit unusual

cheers,
    mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

hi folks - anyone been in touch with neil milliken watches recently? I'm having trouble getting neil on whatsapp or email and he was usually pretty rapid responding. im due my seiko mod back from him a few weeks now and its been radio silence which is a bit unusual

cheers,
    mick

Have you a link to this guy? i need some work done on my 55fathoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

cheers,
    mick

Jeez I hope everything is ok. Last contact I had with him was mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I can't find his website or facebook/instagram anymore, has he been online on WhatsApp?

david wrote: »
    I can't find his website or facebook/instagram anymore, has he been online on WhatsApp?

I sent him a WhatsApp message that looked like it was read but I got no response.

• Advertisement

david wrote: »

I paid him few weeks ago and he said watch be posted next day but nothing since December 8th

I paid him few weeks ago and he said watch be posted next day but nothing since December 8th

He did say he completely switches off the watch lines of communication some times with work. He didn’t say what he does but mentioned 12 hour shifts. Maybe he in medical field and flat out with covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

He posted on Facebook today, first time in a while.

saccades wrote: »
    He posted on Facebook today, first time in a while.

Thanks I’ve no real worries about it. I’ll give him a shout in new year.

Thanks I’ve no real worries about it. I’ll give him a shout in new year.

Not sure what do do re Neil and my watch. I’ve seen him online a few times on WhatsApp and messaged him and he receives the message but is obviously ignoring them. All I can think is maybe he sent he watch uninsured delivery back to me and it’s lost in transit and he doesn’t want to sort it out. I’ve probably 500 euro in the watch between parts, buying and paying neil. Any advice on how to proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How did you pay him?

unkel wrote: »
    How did you pay him?

PayPal friends and family. I’d be shocked if he’s being dodgy about it. He actually had the watch twice and first time it came back in a day via courier.

That's unfortunate, no come back on that.

Still completely ignorant to not even acknowledge your messages. Would only have taken a minute, explain he is very busy, apologies but he'll get back to you in 2-3 weeks time. I'm sure that would have put your mind at rest. Is he a business? Does he advertise? If so, you could ask nicely one more time and if he still doesn't reply, threaten with the small claims court.

That's unfortunate, no come back on that.

Still completely ignorant to not even acknowledge your messages. Would only have taken a minute, explain he is very busy, apologies but he'll get back to you in 2-3 weeks time. I'm sure that would have put your mind at rest. Is he a business? Does he advertise? If so, you could ask nicely one more time and if he still doesn't reply, threaten with the small claims court.

Well he has a website, Facebook presence etc

https://www.nmwatches.co.uk/

https://m.facebook.com/nmwatchesni

Yeah all I want is a status update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Could it be that he has just switched off for Christmas and not quite communicated that to his customers. If you had good confidence in him before, he's hardly become dodgy overnight.

• Advertisement

Well he has a website, Facebook presence etc

https://www.nmwatches.co.uk/

https://m.facebook.com/nmwatchesni

Yeah all I want is a status update.

Ok so contact today. He hasn’t posted yet but will in next couple of days. That’s all I wanted to hear.

He must have read about my threat to him :pac:

He must have read about my threat to him :pac:

Possibly :) Ah I knew it wasn’t his form but when I hadn’t any contact in 20 days it was just weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Due to have a bit of spare change next month so, among other things, I've been toying with the idea of some sort of modded Seiko. Been looking at a few different sites, but wondering what's the best, and cheapest, way to go about it?

- should i buy a seiko and mod that?
    - i think i see from the different sites that I can pretty much buy all the parts and then put them together. This is my theory based only on what I see on the sites, so please steer as appropriate.
    - What's the likely cost of having someone put it together for me? I'm grand changing straps and that, but this would be a step too far.

Three styles interest me mainly at the moment: rose gold YM mod, Explorer mod and Fifty Five Fathoms mod. Never in a million years did i think rose gold would interest me, but it does.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Due to have a bit of spare change next month so, among other things, I've been toying with the idea of some sort of modded Seiko. Been looking at a few different sites, but wondering what's the best, and cheapest, way to go about it?

- should i buy a seiko and mod that?
    - i think i see from the different sites that I can pretty much buy all the parts and then put them together. This is my theory based only on what I see on the sites, so please steer as appropriate.
    - What's the likely cost of having someone put it together for me? I'm grand changing straps and that, but this would be a step too far.

Three styles interest me mainly at the moment: rose gold YM mod, Explorer mod and Fifty Five Fathoms mod. Never in a million years did i think rose gold would interest me, but it does.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

If you are looking at the fathom mod, why not get an invicta, uses the seiko movement at probably more than half the cost for something you are completely changing anyway.

Some great tutorials online too to try do yourself and less of a financial risk

If you're not pushed about changing the dial and hands, then you could get a Seiko SRPD in gold and just swap the bezel insert. You may want to change the bezel too - but that's a simple mod to do.

If you want to change the chapter ring, then the crystal needs to come out (same obviously if you want to add a domed crystal), and the crystals can be hard to press in evenly. I found they didn't snap in, so it was a bit nerve wracking.

Seiko SRPD

Bezel insert

Invicta definitely worth looking at too - I can't remember if they just use the same movement or the bezels etc are interchangeable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I've a few bits for the 55fathoms mod if anyone one is interested.
    It's a snzh60k1 with a dagaz dial, and a strap.
    As per this video: https://youtu.be/2r67dBmgst8
    Theres no movement but I have the crown and hands.
    Youd need to put it together and you could pick up a crystal for it.
    All brand new.
    100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Eoin wrote: »
    If you're not pushed about changing the dial and hands, then you could get a Seiko SRPD in gold and just swap the bezel insert. You may want to change the bezel too - but that's a simple mod to do.

If you want to change the chapter ring, then the crystal needs to come out (same obviously if you want to add a domed crystal), and the crystals can be hard to press in evenly. I found they didn't snap in, so it was a bit nerve wracking.

Seiko SRPD

Bezel insert

Invicta definitely worth looking at too - I can't remember if they just use the same movement or the bezels etc are interchangeable too.

Im not sure on the parts tbh, there is an extensive thread on WUS of invicta mods that would be worth having a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks all,

Will investigate the Invicta option - already spotted the thread on WUS, so will scroll through that. And Eoin, that's one of the models I was looking at modding too, but I think i'd want the dial and that done. If I absolutely had to, I'd bring it somewhere to get it done properly.

Wizard, I'll PM in a bit for sure just so I'm clear what you have and that. Like the look of the mod in that video, but I was looking at snzh57 prior to this - not sure if gold is my bag :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Thanks all,

Will investigate the Invicta option - already spotted the thread on WUS, so will scroll through that. And Eoin, that's one of the models I was looking at modding too, but I think i'd want the dial and that done. If I absolutely had to, I'd bring it somewhere to get it done properly.

Wizard, I'll PM in a bit for sure just so I'm clear what you have and that. Like the look of the mod in that video, but I was looking at snzh57 prior to this - not sure if gold is my bag :pac:

I do some modding of Seikos, have two for sale at the moment and will be working on a couple more over the coming weeks.

http://www.adverts.ie/24036374

http://www.adverts.ie/23926203

I'll be doing another one of these once I get the parts in:

All with Seiko NH35A/38 movements.

Advertisement