Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Although the woman would receive a fraction of the sentence a man would receive.

Absolute nonsense. Murder is a life sentence in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Overheal wrote: »
    Everyone has a sentencing hearing. Totality of circumstances is often considered.

Does Irish law treat males and females differently under sentencing laws?

No

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I was on the jury of a murder trial once and the judge used this exact example to define murder:

If some one throws a punch and the victim dies as a result, it doesn't matter if the punch actually killed the victim. If a woman punched a man and he falls downstairs and breaks his neck because of it, the woman is now guilty of murder

Hmm, what's a manslaughter then?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Murder has a MINIMUM sentence in Ireland.

Women would get the minimum, men get the key thrown away.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Murder has a MINIMUM sentence in Ireland.

Women would get the minimum, men get the key thrown away.

You know for someone who claims to be a woman you haven't stopped going on about how suppressed men are.

• Advertisement

Manslaughter is harder to define. I can't remember the exact definition. We convicted the guy of manslaughter instead of murder. He was attacked and defended himself with a knife, which we judged as too much force to be classed as reasonable self defence.

Murder is someone dying after the intention to harm.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Manslaughter is a category of homicide, ie. murder.

You must refer to your local statute for a precise definition, it varies by legal jurisdiction. Irishstatutebook doesn't seem to point to any specific statutory definition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

Literally only today a women who openly admitted to planing and did kill her own children and wasn't convicted of murder. Had it been the childrens father would it have been the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Faugheen wrote: »
    You know for someone who claims to be a woman you haven't stopped going on about how suppressed men are.

Because fair is fair.

Are you going to address the substance of my posts or continue resorting to whataboutery?

And yes, as I've said, I'm a 28 year old girl. Your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

cms88 wrote: »
    Literally only today a women who openly admitted to planing and did kill her own children and wasn't convicted of murder. Had it been the childrens father would it have been the same...

You are ignorant of the law. Don't use one tragedy to push your anti choice agenda.

• Advertisement

Because fair is fair.

Are you going to address the substance of my posts or continue resorting to whataboutery?

I'm the pope.

(Check my post history, I believe I've mentioned that often)

Nonsense. The woman was insane, in the opinion of 3 psychiatrists. Gender was completely irrelevant

they/them/theirs

lazygal wrote: »
    You are ignorant of the law. Don't use one tragedy to push your anti choice agenda.

I have no ''anti choice agenda'' the usual line trown out when people don't agree with something. If you're pro choice should you not agree with everyone views?

Nonsense. The woman was insane, in the opinion of 3 psychiatrists. Gender was completely irrelevant

So insane she was able to write a letter to say sorry after? Anyway the point being a man wouldn't get anywhere here sympathy she's getting if the roles were the other way around,

Manslaughter is harder to define. I can't remember the exact definition. We convicted the guy of manslaughter instead of murder. He was attacked and defended himself with a knife, which we judged as too much force to be classed as reasonable self defence.
    Kinda hard to define one without the other alright.
    Murder is someone dying after the intention to harm.
    I'm not sure it's that clear.
    Anyone throwing a punch first has the intent to harm yet I can think of a few cases off the top of my head of people getting manslaughter convictions in such cases. Similar for random street attacks and group attacks.

The bar for manslaughter seems pretty low while the bar for murder is incredibly high. I remember someone I know doing a bit of research about a decade ago and I think there was a year since 2000 when there was a single murder conviction in the country.

My (possibly) unpopular opinion is that if someone starts an attack the other person should be allowed defend themselves until they feel safe. In most cases I would completely understand if they defended themselves until the attacker was left immobile.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because fair is fair.

Your posts are triggered rabid ramblings about women being the worst people on the planet.

There is absolutely no 'fair is fair' here because between here and your rabid post in the Deirdre Morley thread, you see women as the root as all evil.

How is that for substance?

That I simply don't believe that any woman (or man) has so much hatred for themselves.

So insane she was able to write a letter to say sorry after? Anyway the point being a man wouldn't get anywhere here sympathy she's getting if the roles were the other way around,

I'm not a psychiatrist, are you?

they/them/theirs

Kinda hard to define one without the other alright.

I'm not sure it's that clear.
    Anyone throwing a punch first has the intent to harm yet I can think of a few cases off the top of my head of people getting manslaughter convictions in such cases. Similar for random street attacks and group attacks.

The bar for manslaughter seems pretty low while the bar for murder is incredibly high. I remember someone I know doing a bit of research about a decade ago and I think there was a year since 2000 when there was a single murder conviction in the country.

My (possibly) unpopular opinion is that if someone starts an attack the other person should be allowed defend themselves until they feel safe. In most cases I would completely understand if they defended themselves until the attacker was left immobile.

According to the judge it is that clear. If you intend to do someone harm and they die as a result, it's murder.

It may be different outside Ireland.

they/them/theirs

According to the judge it is that clear. If you intend to do someone harm and they die as a result, it's murder.

I'm in Ireland. So it makes 0 sense to me if that is true that killing someone in a random street attack can lead to a manslaughter rather than murder conviction.

I'm in Ireland. So it makes 0 sense to me if that is true that killing someone in a random street attack can lead to a manslaughter rather than murder conviction.

It shouldn’t. But you’ll need to be more specific.

There is also a slight chance that the jury just ignores the definitions as well. It’s entirely up to the jury at the end of the process. If they come back with a manslaughter verdict, the judge has to accept it.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Using insanity as a defense for murder is utter bollix

Your hardly a sane stable person if you go murdering someone

How the fu©k can it be a defense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People with this attitude are just bitter they didn't get the deal... :D:D:D

It's relative, to some the inconvenience is no cost but the saving is worth something.

(Coming from a person who has never queued outside them)

It's only a saving if it's something you needed in the first place. Half the population decided they needed a hanging egg chair a few months ago and rushed to buy them "cheap", despite not having given them a thought before the panic/ bandwagon/ FOMO kicked in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It has to be intent to cause serious harm rather than simply harm. If you hit someone and they fall and hit their head on the kerb, that’s manslaughter and not murder. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/trial-hears-how-punch-thrown-in-row-led-to-death-1.103011%3fmode=amp

This one is a bit more of a talking point. The guy punched him in the neck which caused death. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/man-who-killed-journalist-with-single-punch-is-jailed-for-just-over-3-years-29392949.html

Using insanity as a defense for murder is utter bollix

Your hardly a sane stable person if you go murdering someone

How the fu©k can it be a defense

I don't like it either; there's no dispute of fact you are the killer, all you are saying is that you shouldn't be punished. There shouldnt be any case of you not being convicted however, even if your sentence is light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The LGBT movement has infiltrated LEGO now, and it's gone completely out of hand. They shouldn't be exposing children to it at all, especially when they aren't educated about the natural reproductive system until their teens.

Furthermore, my work-place does a good bit of work with secondary school children, teaching them about history, and going by the fact that none of them seem to know how to construct and send emails correctly (something that pretty much everyone needs to know in adulthood and when you enter the workplace), it seems that actual important life skills aren't been taught ahead of this PC nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

The LGBT movement has infiltrated LEGO now, and it's gone completely out of hand. They shouldn't be exposing children to it at all, especially when they aren't educated about the natural reproductive system until their teens.

Furthermore, my work-place does a good bit of work with secondary school children, teaching them about history, and going by the fact that none of them seem to know how to construct and send emails correctly (something that pretty much everyone needs to know in adulthood and when you enter the workplace), it seems that actual important life skills aren't been taught ahead of this PC nonsense.

It seems that lesson 1 of the day is teaching them how to be offended if someone uses a pronoun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mine is being taught about Veganism too.
    Comes home and says Ms X says that people killed that chicken on my plate.
    "Do you not want it then, i'll eat it."
    "No, its tasty".
    "Tell that to Ms X in the morning"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Mine is being taught about Veganism too.
    Comes home and says Ms X says that people killed that chicken on my plate.
    "Do you not want it then, i'll eat it."
    "No, its tasty".
    "Tell that to Ms X in the morning"

Now do that when Ms X is on at them about CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I think it might just be a special addition that people are under no obligation to buy. Not worth getting outraged about.

• Advertisement

I've never seen a Lego figure with genitals. You may be overreacting

they/them/theirs

Advertisement