Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Nothing a good dose of napalm and Agent Orange wouldn't sort.
    Even a place like that has maybe 5% ****heads. Most people don't cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭selectamatic

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/statue-of-singer-luke-kelly-may-be-moved-from-dublins-docklands-after-it-was-vandalised-for-fourth-time-39141086.html

“This isn’t people from Sheriff Street that are doing this. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves,” said Anthony Flynn of Inner City Helping Homeless.

Who are these sinister elements traveling to Sheriff Street during a pandemic lockdown with the sole intention of drawing glasses on the Luke Kelly Statue?
    Trinity Students, Kerry GAA Ultras smarting at their persistent All-Ireland defeats, the Alt-Right?

The Amish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Very sad to see the blatant disrespect to such an Irish icon. It's a sad reflection of our society that some people have such a lack of respect. Ultimately the sanctions for anti social behaviour in Ireland are not sufficient to provide an incentive for people to show respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

kravmaga wrote: »
    And guess what folks the street art piece/ bust / sculpture of Luke Kelly The Dubliners has just been vandalised again with red spray paint as sunglasses.

This is the 4th time its been vandalised since it was officially unveiled to the public in Jan 2019.

Vera Klute has done some good work in the past but I really don't like this sculpture of Luke Kelly.

Is it time for D.C.C. to face up to the reality that the sculpture should be moved to their Head office or a Museum instead of its current location.

I have driven past it on my way to work and there does not seem to be any CCTV cameras covering the area where the statute is located.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0420/1132529-luke-kelly-statue/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/luke-kelly-statue-guild-street-18116060

https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-and-sabina-unveil-a-sculpture-of-the-late-luke-kelly-by-vera-klute

They installed CCTV after the first attack. It's pointing at it 24/7

The statue should be moved. If the community can't appreciate nice things then it shouldn't get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In life he would have had roadies and bouncers to protect him from the riff raft attending his gigs, as well as the supporting band. I think if you also had head statues for all of these then Luke would be better protected.

People from places like Sherrif Street, Ballymun, Ballyfermot love to go on about how ‘salt of the earth’ they are, and how much pride they have in their communities. The reality is they don’t give a shïte about anyone only themselves, and let their packs of semi-feral kids roam about all night.

You just have to see the state of the streets, with litter and graffiti everywhere to know that the people there have no pride in their community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

In life he would have had roadies and bouncers to protect him from the riff raft attending his gigs, as well as the supporting band. I think if you also had head statues for all of these then Luke would be better protected.

It really is prone. The danger is it could become more of a monument to defacement it’s not like some kid havin a few cans down on the lock isn’t going to get happy with a spraycan once in a while. Tarnishing an entire community..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They installed CCTV after the first attack. It's pointing at it 24/7

The statue should be moved. If the community can't appreciate nice things then it shouldn't get them.

Cctv only works to deter normal people, not feral teens or ballbags.

At least the hair went untouched. Would be hard pressed gettin whatever out of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bobblehats wrote: »
    It really is prone. The danger is it could become more of a monument to defacement it’s not like some kid havin a few cans down on the lock isn’t going to get happy with a spraycan once in a while. Tarnishing an entire community..

D1 is the most littered area in Ireland, simply down to the locals putting their rubbish out on the streets and not giving a sh*t about anything.
    Funny how the marvelous Easter Island statue in Clontarf has never been vandalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

art is very subjective:

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg?4

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I seriously thought that statue was Phil Lynott, no bull.

tumblr_mt1enggbjB1r37rfro3_400.jpg

shutterstock_1413065888-2-696x503.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think it's time for internment, I was talking to an old Kerry man today and he had the right Idea.

No doubt if I shared it, the headbanger SJW lefties would be reporting the post.

You know the colorful fillers in society, always cranky and tired.

SJW's the other scourge of society besides the scumbag White collar criminals and the other components who disregard the civility of society...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Vandalisation aside, it is the most hideous looking statue I've ever seen. Best just to remove the monstrosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Luke Kelly was white, and ginger, statue looks like a black guy with a Afro. I don't get it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If they want to reduce crime and the corporate welfare bill, set up snipers outside the HQs of banks.

Genius.
    Please tell us more about jailing bankers haven't heard about that ad nausiem since 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its quite a good likeness actually. Shame its in a place where it can't be left alone.

NWS_2014-01-31_OPI_014_30491256_I4.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

It's awful looking. It reminds me of an ISIS video. Luke Kelly is immortalised in his music. Why do we have to make statues of everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Funny how the marvelous Easter Island statue in Clontarf has never been vandalised.

It had graffiti on it when I passed it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

The obvious solution is to raise the plinth to about 2.5 meters and ti surround it with metal bars.

The third defacement of the statue was in March about 6 weeks ago - the culprit was seen on a bike in a hoodie and cycled off towards East Wall - is that as horrible a neighnourhood as Sheriff Street?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It had graffiti on it when I passed it last week.

Saturday before last it didn't anyway, I'll have a look later or tomorrow

The obvious solution is to raise the plinth to about 2.5 meters and ti surround it with metal bars.

The third defacement of the statue was in March about 6 weeks ago - the culprit was seen on a bike in a hoodie and cycled off towards East Wall - is that as horrible a neighnourhood as Sheriff Street?

Not quite as horrible, used to be worse, more settled now

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

The real culprit was Luke Kelly's ghost!
    Outraged that this grotesque gargoyle should have been erected in his memory he returned from the afterlife to make his displeasure known.

No, the obvious solution is to raze the whole of Sheriff.St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Genius.
    Please tell us more about jailing bankers haven't heard about that ad nausiem since 2008

Well, genius, if you could actually read, you'd see there was no proposal to jail bankers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Time to move it out of the area.. I know that's were he lived but its a waste of public money repairing it after its been vandalized 4 times, ...most likely by feral teenage locals.

It needs a new location ...one where its respected as a Dublin Icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Vandalisation aside, it is the most hideous looking statue I've ever seen. Best just to remove the monstrosity.

It's horrible. It looks like he was just beheaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭SeanW

As an aside, there were 4 members of the Dubliners and the entire band was really good. Why are there two statues of Luke Kelly and none of Ronnie Drew?

SeanW wrote: »
    As an aside, there were 4 members of the Dubliners and the entire band was really good. Why are there two statues of Luke Kelly and none of Ronnie Drew?

The statues were commissioned in 2014 to mark the 30th anniversary of Kelly's death by the then lord mayor if I remember correctly, so will have to see if they do some of the others.

Are you saying four members total including Kelly to mean the original founding members and your not including Sheahan?

Ronnie Drew without his hair was like Darth vAder without the mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Why are there two statues of Luke Kelly and none of Ronnie Drew?

twice as popular ?

Weird obsession for "statchas" in this country.
    Someone famous or even remotely famous? Oh they'd have to have a "statcha" put up.

Some are ok or just about bearable, many are plain awful looking, a pox on the streetscape, this one is just a bizarre, oversized disembodied head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The statue itself is vandalism. Very very expensive vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My fav tweet from today commenting on today's most recent daubing of the bauld Luke, went something like

'the more the statue gets vandalised, the louder the scream will be from it when they eventually enable that feature'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Weird obsession for "statchas" in this country.
    Someone famous or even remotely famous? Oh they'd have to have a "statcha" put up.

Some are ok or just about bearable, many are plain awful looking, a pox on the streetscape, this one is just a bizarre, oversized disembodied head.

Name another statue that's as bad as this one.

This isn't as bad but it was hilarious

stream_img.jpg

The greatest Dubliner of them all but put it out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think 20 years have to pass from the death of a person in Dublin for them to be commemorated. But maybe this only applies to naming streets, bridges etc after them.

I would also argue that there were 5 Dubliners;

Ronnie Drew
    Luke Kelly
    Ciaran Bourke
    Barney McKenna
    John Sheehan

Obviously others like Jim McCann and Sean Cannon who joined and left after Ciaran Bourke's illness and Luke Kelly's death, but there were always 4 of the above 5 in it for the first two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Time to move it out of the area.. I know that's were he lived but its a waste of public money repairing it after its been vandalized 4 times, ...most likely by feral teenage locals.

It needs a new location ...one where its respected as a Dublin Icon.

He lived on Dartmouth Square for a time. Lovely spot.
    Move it where it will be respected. Or leave it there and don't clean it. If the locals have any respect for their area or themselves they will sort this out themselves.
    The idea that the council will always clean up after you is half the problem.
    Leave it to them as a reminder of what they have done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I've never understood this "salt of the earth" being a compliment. If you salt earth nothing grows. Salt ruins soil.

Oh maybe that's it.

• Advertisement

If the locals have any respect for their area or themselves they will sort this out themselves.
    The idea that the council will always clean up after you is half the problem.
    Leave it to them as a reminder of what they have done

These people just put their rubbish on the street instead of paying for bin tags. The place is filthy. They would happily live in their own filth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In Luke Kelly's time, the area's inhabitants were really a salt of the earth community, dirt poor but dignified. Drugs and welfare dependence destroyed all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

In Luke Kelly's time, the area's inhabitants were really a salt of the earth community, dirt poor but dignified. Drugs and welfare dependence destroyed all that.

Salt of the earth
    "We were poor but we were happy" More of the rare old times bull****.
    Tenements, high child mortality rates, rampant T.B. Kips such as Phil Shanahan House.
    Nothing dignified about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

These people just put their rubbish on the street instead of paying for bin tags. The place is filthy. They would happily live in their own filth.

Indeed. There is no self respect in this area. And its not a question of deprivation or not, i know lots of disadvantaged areas that have built proud and well kept neighbourhoods.

Both the carrot and the stick have failed in Sheriff Street and areas around, they should be given nothing more until they step up as a whole.

I somehow don't see the statue going down too well in Dartmouth Square! In fairness the funding for it mostly came from a friend of Kelly's in the area, so it should stay down there, but it needs to be in a protected location, maybe as part of one the newer developments where there is a constant security presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Should stick it on top of the Spire, it'll be safe then

The Nazi collaborator in the trenchcoat in Fairview Park, both for being aesthetically awful and for having been in bed with Nazi Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Nazi collaborator in the trenchcoat in Fairview Park, both for being aesthetically awful and for having been in bed with Nazi Germany.
    Interesting read on the unveiling of that statue:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~eirenua/2001/sep01/50yrsago.htm

Not your ornery onager

It's after happening again tonight
    https://twitter.com/AnthonyICHH/status/1266482065652027393?s=19

Time now to take it away imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's after happening again tonight
    What needs to be done is those fools getting a good hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should find out who did it and level the house they live in to dust.

Advertisement