Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah some reviews I watched yesterday talked about it taking about 30 hours to complete but you really need to have gotten a lot of the upgrade stuff unique to the dlc to have a chance against the main boss, and that some of those materials get really hard to find. The level design seems a lot more vertical so you can see areas below you but it could be hours before you end up down there.

So a bit of a guide for the reviewers probably not a bad thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Foolishly clicked the original tweet quoted there and it and many of the responses are as pathetic as expected. It's a gross misintepretation of the review in the first instance, which is one of the more thorough and well articulated I've read (including deep engagement with the systems and story). Though expecting some of the hateful anime avatar accounts to actually read and engage with the review is probably an expectation too far.

But several other reviews I've read have suggested the game can be brutally difficult, which is not automatically 'a good thing just because it's From Software'. I've finished every one of their games and most of the DLC and have certainly come across bosses that I found more annoying to fight than satisfying. I would argue some of the final or optional bosses of these games are frustrating difficulty spikes, and yes in some cases have soured me on aspects of the game at the final stretch.

The idea that hitting a wall at the final boss and getting frustrated is some opinion to be disregarded and mocked is of course usual internet idiocy and pathethic elitism, but given the state of things on the hellsite twitter I very much hope this isn't resulting in any abuse being directed towards the review author.

Yeah I never actually finished the Bloodborne DLC because I got to the final area (the harbour area before OoK) and just felt like I wasn't enjoying it and definitely wouldn't enjoy the final boss.

From what I hear of the final boss of this DLC, a bit harder than Malenia overall, but also has attacks equal to or greater than her Waterfowl Dance that seems like victory could just depend on RNG and if they use that attack, because it seems next to impossible to avoid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah that's one thing for an optional super boss, but extra frustrating when it's gating you out of finishing the core experience. I also think the focus on ultra difficulty can distract from the plethora of other things these games do so well.

It also doesn't help that DLC for these games arrives long after the main game. I never finished Dark Souls 3's second DLC, but a large part of that was because at that stage it had been a while since I finished the core game and just couldn't readjust to the game comfortably to tackle some extra hard DLC bosses. Even booting up Elden Ring last night just to readjust to the controls I know it'll take me a while to warm up for Erdtree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing it yesterday as it's on Gamepass. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Since this DLC takes about 30+ hours to complete you should be able to shake off the cobwebs before the final boss

Took me a few hours but eventually I started to remember all the different features

This DLC does look to be tough though. I have read people with insane builds of level 400+ getting walloped by enemies

Oh no doubt, though obviously still a challenge jumping into a high level area after two years away! And definitely don’t have the time or inclination to start fresh.

The same Eurogamer review points out the first three bosses are tough but fair, and then it was the fourth that really upped the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Twitter is an absolute cesspit, even more so with Musk but there are moments of beauty like this. She beat 2 Mohg's on 2 different systems with one hand on each controller.

For people who never played Elden Ring, Mohg is a very tough boss fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bloody hell I can barely play video-games with one controller, let alone trying to do it with two.

I think it's hard too not to get so attached to your build which has carried you through most of the endgame fine, but which doesn't work against the final boss. It's near impossible to cater for every build, but sometimes it's as hard fighting with a build which isn't optimal as it is to switch to a different build you're not familiar with.

Although it's a very different game in all aspects, I still remember absolutely loving Thronebreaker (the Gwent game) and having a great deck and tactics which were great, and having to completely throw it all out the window for the final fight because you pretty much had to use a particular set and strategy or you had no hope of winning.

A lot of people had the same thing with Malenia, where they got so stuck on her that their only option was to respec and go with Rivers of Blood or Mohg's spear to give them a chance. Sure, some weapons and builds will always give you better odds, but it should never feel like a requirement to change your build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Lets hope its better than that tripe I dont think I have ever hated as TV show as much ( assuming this was the one with Martin Compston)

"A lot of people had the same thing with Malenia, where they got so stuck on her that their only option was to respec and go with Rivers of Blood or Mohg's spear to give them a chance."

It is, and I only made it half way through. Great premise but they fumbled it big time.

Yeah the ending was properly laughable, I give up on games quite easily when poor but a tv show I can stay to the end, this time I wish I hadnt.

I feel for that game coming out the same time as Elden DLC. I will probably have forgotten it exists by the time I finish up with Elden.

I'd still argue Elden Ring loses quite a bit of its luster in the final quarter or so. As you say, From sort of lose control over the build balance given the plethora of options on the table so a fight like Melania feels a lot more prescriptive in terms of gameplay. But it also loses its rich openness in favour of becoming a mini Dark Souls 4. That's not without its moments, but IMO the moments when Elden Ring really and truly cooks are either early in the game or the ways those early areas reveal hidden depths (or heights) when you revisit them later on.

Yeah I'd agree with that. The Haligtree, Mohgwyn Area and Crumbling Farum Azula are a lot like legacy dungeons and are pretty linear, and the Mountaintop of the Giants area is just such a PITA that I think by that stage, most people just want to get through the area as quick as possible due to starting to tire from the game. Especially if they've been doing the underground cities and areas too. I know that's how I felt anyway.

I wouldn't mind trying Still Wakes the Deep, but I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese Room narrative game in 2024. I was a big fan of the Dear Esther and Rapture, but I feel a lot has changed in the nine years since the latter's release, and developers have become a lot more ambitious in evolving beyond the constraints of those early, formative 'walking sims'. Obviously a well written one can still hit the spot (like Devotion) and others are a lot more ambitious in terms of form (like Anthology of the Killer). But I definitely don't have the enthusiasm to jump straight into Still Wakes the Deep I might have had ten years ago. And I'm still a bit uncertain about what the studio even is these days, given how the owners laid off their staff and rebuilt.

I've unsubscribed from Game Pass for now as I won't be using it for the foresseabble, but I'll give it a go if I resubscribe later in the year (or maybe if it's on sale before then).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It wasn't great but once I started thinking of it as a Dr Who story where the Doctor never turned up and the humans had to work it out themselves, it kinda improved the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ha, the Last of Us Part 1 crashed on me, but I didn't lose any progress. The game is so incredibly polished I was not expecting that.

• Advertisement

I finished playing Still Wakes the Deep yesterday. Spent 7 hours and 21 minutes at it so it is a short game. Short but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone have 1 if these? Looks like good value. Delivery from Italy.

€33.21 33%OFF | Gamesir X2S Gamepad Android Mobile Pro Gaming Controller Portable Moveable Usb Type C Port for iphone 15 with Hall Effect Sticks

Finished The Last Of Us Part 1 on PS5. Brilliant game. It just looks, sounds and plays beautifully. Loads of options and extras. Great story and characters you really care about. Excellent animation and voice acting in the cut scenes too. Some really poignant moments. A couple of things that could be criticized but that's only nit picking. 60 FPS + high resolution + the quality of the animation + art direction + incredible sound effects + music = a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Especially when you consider that under the shine it's a PS3 game.

You should go on now and play the remastered TLOU2

I have part 2, got it in the sale recently. But will take a break from that world for a while.

Might try Shadow of the Colossus next. I'm going through my shorter games.

I notice my PS has no idea how long I've been playing a game. It says 4 hours for the last of us part 1, and I'm not a speed runner. 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Part 2 is not short. It's a bit of a slog and took me about 25 hours I think.

It's a world that doesn't get any kinder too. 🤣.

But there is an issue with the length of time between them. First time I played 2, I enjoyed it, but felt it missed the mark. But a big chunk was down to forgetting lots of the events from 1.

But after the TV show and both got remastered I played them pretty much back to back. 2 hit way harder the second time. Part of it was due to having those events much fresher. But also a big part was I knew what was going to happen, so you could get out of my own head and actually enjoy what they were doing. I spent way more time just wandering and exploring the world. The spectacle of it on OLED and they way they push and pull you towards characters is really well done.

Part one looks stunning on OLED, HDR, 60 FPS. There was a scene where you act as a sniper protecting the others and the animation and movement of the attackers is sublime in the sniper sights.

The scene with the Giraffes is beautiful from an artistic and story point of view. They give a sense of hope and you can watch them, but as soon as you exit the scene they disappear into the distance and you are thrown back to the reality that lies ahead. You absolutely forget you are playing a video game.

I'm delighted it's a stealth game mostly and also that there are only a few intense infected/clicker encounters. They really kept the reigns in on turning it into Unchartered zombie shoot em up. Also, the section with David in the burning building is far more disturbing than any of the bloater attacks.

It reminds me an awful lot of RDR2, But with none of the slog and much better controls and 60 FPS. Also, a load of Cormack McCarthy influence in their too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive a lot of issues with TLOU part 2, mostly to do with the pacing and story but Ive no issues with the stealth and combat. It's a lot of fun.

• Advertisement

I started playing it again last night. Playing it with a headset ramps up the tension.

If you have a Game Pass subscription, give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Luna84

So soon after just playing it? For missing achievements is it?

That's interesting about the giraffes giving you hope. I remember that as the point where I wondered if people were worth saving at all and if we'd be better off leaving it to the animals 😅.

S

S

D

QED

Can't decide if that's the best video game tune of all time or Gusty Garden Galaxy...

... or maybe Gerudo Valley ...

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Throwing a spanner into your works here @SuperBowserWorld

MGS 2 intro theme was one of the best things for me in gaming and remains the only ringtone I ever paid for :)

this one is very much a "in the right mood for it" but I've been absolutely loving this one from Luftrausers also:

I could be boring and post up Ace combat 7s Daredevil but for.me nothing will top hearing the Shin Megami Tensei 4 map theme:

• Advertisement

I am a huge fan of Stardew Valley and especially some of its absolute bangers. These two are always a highlight but I am always even more impressed it was all the one guy doing it all.

I always found the GPU song from Astro was the best, the chorus always reminds me of Gigi D'Agastino L'Amour Toujours when the girl starts singing Il fly with you

MGS2 theme is incredible, but my own personal preference is for the MGS3 version. The ending goes so damn hard, and just has that extra little kick at the end that the MGS2 version doesn't.

Ah, well I can't let a conversation about themes of our adolescence / youth without adding this banger from when I had more hair:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Back to the Amiga days for

(I'll never forget you Jools, Stoo and Jops)

And

And the award for "stupidly good music for a town area" goes to:

The next award is for the "worst game with a god tier soundtrack":

And the last award "jazzy music shouldn't work for a boss but why does this slap so hard":

• Advertisement

Some great tracks there.

Going all the way back to late 80s / early 90s. This was the coolest track I remember from cpc 464 days. Game was a masterpiece also.

That gold batman / ocean branding on case 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Some pretty good tracks listed above, but it’s time to get serious.

When he said “Salsa, Avocado…..HAHAHAHA”, I really felt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll take any opportunity to repost this banger. Just hearing it brings back the intro, trailer and 3 games of awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm after happily spending the day here bouncing between some of these sound tracks. We need MOAR!

Cheesy as F but I'd be lying if I didn't semi-occasionally hum it to myself…

Oh and as @jj880 referenced a game from the Bitmap Brothers (where are they now!), this was another track that I found punchy back in the day

Super Mario 3D World

Ant Trooper Hill

Sayonara Wild Hearts - the rare (only?) video game score that acts as a banging pop album in its own right, and every level is a perfectly synchronised music video.

Played Baroque when it got fan translated and adored it. One of the stand outs was the atmosphere created by the soundtrack. Most of it is ambient noise but the music tracks are real standouts and remind me of Vangelis. One foot in the Grave is the standout track:

• Advertisement
Advertisement