Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most memorable murder? and most interesting unsolved crimes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Tony Soprano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Jimmy Hoffa

No mystery really.
    While he was useful to the mob they kept him alive.
    When he became a liability, they disposed of him.
    The exact button man, date, time, place, method of execution might all be up be for speculation. Because those people don't talk about those things. But that it was a mafia execution and the reason for it are both very obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I'm still stubbornly interested in the Leinster disappearances - Annie Mc Carrick, Jojo Dollard, Deirdre Jacob. (Eva Brennan?)

There's one of these, and I'm not going to say which one, that you could look close to home for an explanation. The others, who knows, have been attributed to Larry and maybe so. Probably we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Just watching through that NetFlix documentary about Amanda Knox. My god, such a cast of absolute lying, despicable, self serving b*stards. And I put The Daily Mirror's Nick Pisa right at the top of that list. And the worst thing about him, is that he is completely oblivious to what a complete scumbag he actually is.

He's closely followed by the head of the Italian prosecution, who comes across like a completely arrogant buffoon and fantasist. Guede, who says initially that Amanda was not at the scene, completely changes his story when in custody (possibly bought off by the police to change his story). So he's lying for one reason or another. And with Amanda, it feels like she's acting. Like she's had a million takes to make sure that she looks as innocent as possible.

The only person I find believable is Sollecito.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Have you heard the claim that Jojo is buried on a farm and the farmer will not allow gardai in to search.? I heard that but do not believe it as he could not stop them if they had a reasonable suspicion

There was a series on a few years ago where 3 English psychics investigate mysteries likeJojo's disappearance. The mediums were Colin Fry (rip) Tony Stockwell and some woman. They said Jojo was buried on private land and there were probs wirh access. Jojo's sister said she knew who they were on about. They also said she was buried wrapped in a tartan travel blanket. They said on the journey her abductor changed and made moves on her which led to her rape and murder. They said he had a dysinctive mark of some kind around his mouth. I thought at the time it waa Larry Murphy because of his chin dimple but they seemed to conclude that it was a particular man and Jojo's sister knew who it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Ann22 wrote: »
    There was a series on a few years ago where 3 English psychics investigate mysteries likeJojo's disappearance. The mediums were Colin Fry (rip) Tony Stockwell and some woman. They said Jojo was buried on private land and there were probs wirh access. Jojo's sister said she knew who they were on about. They also said she was buried wrapped in a tartan travel blanket. They said on the journey her abductor changed and made moves on her which led to her rape and murder. They said he had a dysinctive mark of some kind around his mouth. I thought at the time it waa Larry Murphy because of his chin dimple but they seemed to conclude that it was a particular man and Jojo's sister knew who it was.
    very convenient for the 'psychics' Try burying someone on your land and stopping the garda search.If there is a suspicion of a body the gardai can enter anywhere. At least one of those 'psychics was caught cheating
    They said on the journey her abductor changed and made moves on her which led to her rape and murder.
    that is obvious and impossible to disprove
    They said he had a dysinctive mark of some kind around his mouth.
    which fits half the population
    I thought at the time it waa Larry Murphy because of his chin dimple but they seemed to conclude that it was a particular man and Jojo's sister knew who it was
    so they were 'right' either way

very convenient for the 'psychics' Try burying someone on your land and stopping the garda search.If there is a suspicion of a body the gardai can enter anywhere. At least one of those 'psychics was caught cheating

I do think they need a good reason for a search warrant.. not some 'mumbo jumbo' psychic's claims.The sister said she knew who the man is. I only posted to let you know others had heard about the land search permission thing.

I do think they need a good reason for a search warrant.. not some 'mumbo jumbo' psychic's claims.The sister said she knew who the man is. I only posted to let you know others had heard about the land search permission thing.
    I only posted to let you know others had heard about the land search permission thing
    thanks. I heard it but find it very hard to believe. nothwithstanding psychics if the sister made a statement it would probably give them enough reason. And since it would be a crime scene I am not sure if a warant is needed if they had reasonable grounds to believe an arrestable offence was, is or may have been committed ortat they may be evidence relating to an arrestable offence crime committed else where

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/26/section/5/enacted/en/html

thanks. I heard it but find it very hard to believe. nothwithstanding psychics if the sister made a statement it would probably give them enough reason. And since it would be a crime scene I am not sure if a warant is needed if they had reasonable grounds to believe an arrestable offence was, is or may have been committed ortat they may be evidence relating to an arrestable offence crime committed else where

I just don't know what the full story was just that the sister was clearly angry and upset that they couldn't or wouldn't proceed. She couldn't say on camera her reasons for suspecting the man. If she told the guards she just felt he was a weirdo who had an eye for Jojo the guards might have asked him where ne waa and what he was doing on the day in question but to actually send in diggers and a search team...they might not. Maybe the man has friends in important jobs...or is a member of a clannish group like the freemasons maybe.

I just don't know what the full story was just that the sister was clearly angry and upset that they couldn't or wouldn't proceed. She couldn't say on camera her reasons for suspecting the man. If she told the guards she just felt he was a weirdo who had an eye for Jojo the guards might have asked him where ne waa and what he was doing on the day in question but to actually send in diggers and a search team...they might not. Maybe the man has friends in important jobs...or is a member of a clannish group like the freemasons maybe.
    That was what i heard but i do not believe it and i certainly pay no attention to what a 'psychic' says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 suziki832

Karen Buckleys murder still sends shivers down my spine!! Probably the worst I ever heard if I'm being honest, and I think everyone was affected by it. Still wonder why she left with him?...although it'll probably never be known...
    I often think of her and her parents

That was what i heard but i do not believe it and i certainly pay no attention to what a 'psychic' says

Oh yeah absolutely but the sister was onscreen and she had heard something about this man whether or not she had her facts right is another matter. Perhaps before the show, she put the idea into the psychics' heads, unwittingly but she heard it herself from somewhere. Poor woman prob clinging on to everything she hears for some kind of clue.

Oh yeah absolutely but the sister was onscreen and she had heard something about this man whether or not she had her facts right is another matter. Perhaps before the show, she put the idea into the psychics' heads, unwittingly but she heard it herself from somewhere. Poor woman prob clinging on to everything she hears for some kind of clue.
    probably https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBUTo3AjX0

• Registered Users Posts: 51,585 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rachel O'Reilly's murder case and Joe appearing on the Late Late Show with her mother. Was fascinated with that case at the time and the great police-work that convicted him.

Rachel O'Reilly's murder case and Joe appearing on the Late Late Show with her mother. Was fascinated with that case at the time and the great police-work that convicted him.
    is the late late piece online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,585 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

is the late late piece online anywhere?

I'm sure it is somewhere. I'm not able to find it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm sure it is somewhere. I'm not able to find it though.

I searched for it as I very nearly ended up organising going to a viewing of the house- not realising the history of it. I can't find it online anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Elizabeth Short 'The Black Dahlia' is an interesting case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I remember vividly the two Polish guys who were stabbed to death on Benbulbin Road in Drimnagh. The perpetrator, David Curran, was an animal and had lost the head and repeatedly stabbed them with a screwdriver. I was working near the area at the time and remember the decent members of the community holding a vigil for the two.

Ann22 wrote:
    Maybe the man has friends in important jobs...or is a member of a clannish group like the freemasons maybe.

Freemasons wouldn't be into murdering people though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

The Claudia Lawrence case in the UK, can't get my head around it. Was baffled at the time and still am.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

And Jill Dando!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭juno10353

The Al Hilli murders in the French Alps. English Father, Mother, Mother in law and children shot in lay bye while holiday in in france

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

The missing postman Waterford. This you goes back a long way. 1929. A man by the name of Griffin the local postman was delivering mail on Christmas day in Stradbelly which was usual in those days. It was custemery to offer the postman a drink while on his rounds and by evening he had a lot of drink taken. At about 5.30 that evening he was seen by several people going into the local pub with a member of the Garda. The pub of course was open illleagly as it was Christmas day. Their were about ten people in the pub including four garda and the local schoolteacher. The story goes that a fight started between the postman and another man in which the postman was knocked unconscious. He was brought out of the pub by four of the customers and taken away in the only car in the village. He was never seen again. All customers in the pub denied ever been there including the pub owner who said he was never open. Despite intensive investigation by the Garda the case has never been solved. Mr Griffin was a married man with four children. Been intrigued by this case since my father told me about it years ago. A lot on the Internet about the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 suziki832

lanomist wrote: »
    The missing postman Waterford. This you goes back a long way. 1929. A man by the name of Griffin the local postman was delivering mail on Christmas day in Stradbelly which was usual in those days. It was custemery to offer the postman a drink while on his rounds and by evening he had a lot of drink taken. At about 5.30 that evening he was seen by several people going into the local pub with a member of the Garda. The pub of course was open illleagly as it was Christmas day. Their were about ten people in the pub including four garda and the local schoolteacher. The story goes that a fight started between the postman and another man in which the postman was knocked unconscious. He was brought out of the pub by four of the customers and taken away in the only car in the village. He was never seen again. All customers in the pub denied ever been there including the pub owner who said he was never open. Despite intensive investigation by the Garda the case has never been solved. Mr Griffin was a married man with four children. Been intrigued by this case since my father told me about it years ago. A lot on the Internet about the case.

surely the Garda saw what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

suziki832 wrote:
    surely the Garda saw what happened?

How could they?
    The pub wasn't open so there no Gardai in there ;-)

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    How could they?
    The pub wasn't open so there no Gardai in there ;-)
    It was open. Either illegally or because pubs were open then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It was open. Either illegally or because pubs were open then

;-) ;-) ;-)

lanomist wrote: »
    Did you read the book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sassychick91

The missing women in Ireland is a complete mystery...where are they? I believe in some of the cases the perpretrators are known but can't be proven unfortunately :(

Karen Buckleys was the stuff nightmares are made of! :O I always wonder what made her leave without telling her friends...very strange ...so sad :(

Advertisement