Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Knotweed - how to kill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Japenese knotweed in my estate is looking very poorly now. Starting to wilt and many of the leaves are browned. I fear my neighbour went at it too early. He seems buoyed by the results but I'm skeptical as I doubt it'll even be alive for the late september spray. He has been spraying it weekly since at least the start of August and says he will continue that up to the end of september after which he will spray monthly. Not sure what he imagines the point of that will be as it will be long dead. My next challenge will be to stop him spraying the new growth next spring.

Incidentally, my journey home on the dart every day shows me an increasing abundance of japanese warning signs along the dart line. I'm not sure if that indicates its spread or just that IE are taking it seriously at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Mousewar wrote: »
    Japenese knotweed in my estate is looking very poorly now. Starting to wilt and many of the leaves are browned. I fear my neighbour went at it too early. He seems buoyed by the results but I'm skeptical as I doubt it'll even be alive for the late september spray. He has been spraying it weekly since at least the start of August and says he will continue that up to the end of september after which he will spray monthly. Not sure what he imagines the point of that will be as it will be long dead. My next challenge will be to stop him spraying the new growth next spring.

Incidentally, my journey home on the dart every day shows me an increasing abundance of japanese warning signs along the dart line. I'm not sure if that indicates its spread or just that IE are taking it seriously at last.

I wouldn't worry too much if your neighbor kept pumping the the Roundup onto the JK while there was still good leaf to take it up he might have done a good job.

The fact he keeps spraying it has to be a good rather than a bad thing so if any does come back next year I'm sure he'll be back out on to it.

Now btw is a good as time as any to start spraying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

So now is a good time to spray? And again in about 3 weeks? I have that right? The weathers been very broken here ( north west ) for last two weeks and wondered what I was gonna do. But it’s been fine last two days and grass is nice and dry today so action stations tomorrow all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

cosbawn wrote: »
    So now is a good time to spray? And again in about 3 weeks? I have that right? The weathers been very broken here ( north west ) for last two weeks and wondered what I was gonna do. But it’s been fine last two days and grass is nice and dry today so action stations tomorrow all going well.

no need for the second application , other than doing patches that were missed first time

Edit

the slower the kill gives the chemical an oppotunity to travel well into the root system where it is most effective for long term control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As others have said, you cant cut or pull it to kill it.

there is a central root ball that can be a couple of feet in size, the rhizomes/roots run like bamboo and can popup several metres from the root ball.

You can kill these runners easily enough with roundup applied at the right time, but unless you treat ALL the visible growth you are not impacting the root ball.

If you do treat all visible growth with roundabout (injecting) then you destroy the plants ability to gather energy for that growing season and so the plant uses some energy from the root ball (think if it as a fat store)

Next growing season you need to again treat the visible growth and again you will reduce the size of the root ball.

Repeat this process for 5-10 years and you should be done, but a single cm of plant is enough to start a whole new root ball that you wont be aware of until you have another infestation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

I sprayed Japanese Knotweed last Autumn and there is a few shoots coming up now. Do I let them grow and wait to spray again in the Autumn or should I spray the shoots as the come up now?

Simmental. wrote: »
    I sprayed Japanese Knotweed last Autumn and there is a few shoots coming up now. Do I let them grow and wait to spray again in the Autumn or should I spray the shoots as the come up now?

Personally I'd let them get to as high as possible while still leaving it easy to get over them with a spray. Say no more than a meter tall then spray.

The ideal method is to leave them till the Autumn but I prefer to be proactive and get this early spray in and another one in the Autumn.

Both are know documented methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a good side and a bad side to repeated spraying with roundup,
    The good is you've a wasteland where you can easily see the knotweed shoots coming up, the bad is you've a wasteland.
    If you can see individual shoots coming up, they could be "wiped " with a round up gel..
    I think I'd give them a good dose as soon as there is visable leaf,
    If youre not spraying it... It is edible... Break off the young spears or shoots as they come out of the ground.. And cook like asparagus...
    Its not supposed to be great...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

my3cents wrote: »
    Personally I'd let them get to as high as possible while still leaving it easy to get over them with a spray. Say no more than a meter tall then spray.

The ideal method is to leave them till the Autumn but I prefer to be proactive and get this early spray in and another one in the Autumn.

Both are know documented methods.

The longer you leave it to grow the bigger the root ball is getting...they die by starvation of this root ball so i wouldn't be letting them go very long...

GreeBo wrote: »
    The longer you leave it to grow the bigger the root ball is getting...they die by starvation of this root ball so i wouldn't be letting them go very long...

No that isn't how it works.

It is well proven that the most effective time to spray JK with glyphosate is in the Autumn before it dies down. Monsanto themselves recommend spraying at flowering time which is the end of August. Only later in the year does the plant transport enough of the glyphosate back down to the root system to get a really good kill.

However the problem once the plants are fully grown is that they can be just too big to spray easily and to get good coverage. The answer is to time an earlier spray to reduce the growth so the plant is at a more suitable height to spray late in the growing season.

I have tried many spraying methods and chemicals against JK and always the best kill rate (never 100% but still good) has been with spraying with glyphosate after flowering. Its hard to be sure but I suspect that I've had a better end of year kill rate with glyphosate when I've sprayed in May when growth is at about a meter (the window to spray is small as the plant goes from 1m to 2m in a week) with triclopyr (SBK Brushwood Killer). I stick with glyphosate now as its cheaper.

Once you are really on top of the JK you'll probably start to get small plants growing back that are very small compared to the originals. Again these ideally should be sprayed late in the season.

Here is what Monsanto have to say https://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/roundup/roundup-amenity/difficult-weeds/japanese-knotweed/ and these guys in Cornwall were some of the first to tackle JK as an invasive species in the UK https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/trees-hedges-and-woodland/invasive-plants/japanese-knotweed/guidance-for-control/herbicide-treatment-for-japanese-knotweed/ for many years they were the major source of JK control information on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

So my nice crop of JK took a good hammering from the spraying last year. I was actually able to get right in at it as opposed to this time last year when it was a bloody forest and I nearly broke my ankle tripping over stones. The stones are from a wall that the JK has pulled down. So I'm hoping this spray will curb the height as I reckon I got it just in time. So overall I am very pleased. I'm only sorry I didn't take a photo of it last year before I started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The knotweed in my estate has not returned this year so far. I thought my neighbour was making a mess of treating it - his spraying had it totally dead by the end of August so i feared the weedkiller would not have penetrated the roots much.
    Still, looks like we don't have to worry about it this year. Expecting it to return next year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Only today I noticed a big patch of dead JK near Limerick City beside a public road. Looks like the Council sprayed it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Would something like forefront not be better? Kill the weeds and leave the grass instead of bare ground for the JK to take hold again.

6600 wrote: »
    Would something like forefront not be better? Kill the weeds and leave the grass instead of bare ground for the JK to take hold again.

Thats a point thats being made more and more but having been in conflict with this weed for nearly 40 years killing it by whatever means is the main point. A bit of grass that is killed off is very temporary when you look at the larger picture.

Personally I'd be happy to use forefront at this time of year to reduce the amount of growth the JK produces but I'd still hit it with a glyphosate based product in the autumn.

I spray this stuff off for free on neighbors land and the local beach so for me price is a consideration and €50 a year on Roundup Biactive is about as much as I'm prepared to donate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Would this stuff be the job for knotweed in a small garden?

https://www.horkans.ie/p/weedfree-360-weed-killer/112000019

Or what else is suitable for non-professional use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Ya it gysophate under a generic name

Same product here but cheaper

https://www.google.com/search?q=Weedfree+360+Weed+Killer&client=ms-android-oppo-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It's roundup in a different box

So yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The most important things are

1. Don't cut anything from the standing plants

2. Spray end of August or early September (when you have a predictable dry period ahead) so that the weedkiller is brought down into the roots.

Plan to spray again next May and once more in late August.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Garlon Ultra is the best herbicide by far to treat JK.

The active ingredients Aminopyralid and Triclopyr are the most effective treatment. Its able to penetrate the waxy leaf of the plant.

• Advertisement

If leaves are waxy add an activator this soften's the wax and cause the weed killer to stick better.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On a small scale , a little bit of washing up liquid helps a lot , both to get through the waxy coating ,and to get the herbicide to stick ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If leaves are waxy add an activator this soften's the wax and cause the weed killer to stick better.

Do you spray the entire plant or just the trunk close to the base?

Do you spray the entire plant or just the trunk close to the base?

I say the whole plan never had the problem. I presume it the same as any other plant spray it all

Slava Ukrainii

I believe you are better off injecting the stems when dealing with knotweed. Either way a couple of years of vigilance are required to kill it off.
    Don't cut anything until you are 100% sure it's dead.

I believe you are better off injecting the stems when dealing with knotweed. Either way a couple of years of vigilance are required to kill it off.
    Don't cut anything until you are 100% sure it's dead.

That is mainly the case when using Glyphosate. You can just spray Garlon Ultra on the foliage & it will kill plant & roots.

K3v wrote: »
    That is mainly the case when using Glyphosate. You can just spray Garlon Ultra on the foliage & it will kill plant & roots.

Is Garlon Ultra available to anyone?

No it is not. Its for professional use only. You must hold a Hand Held Pesticide or a Boom Sprayer Pesticide cert. Otherwise if you are employing a contractor, you must provide your contractors certification at the point of sale.

OK, if I have this bloody thing at all, it's a very small amount. I'd rather try and deal with it myself than paying someone at this stage.

This seems like it might be worth a try

http://topline.ie/garden-outdoors/lawn-garden/plant-lawn-care/lawn-feed-weed-killer/round-up/tree-stump-killer-250ml

• Advertisement

OK, if I have this bloody thing at all, it's a very small amount. I'd rather try and deal with it myself than paying someone at this stage.

http://topline.ie/garden-outdoors/lawn-garden/plant-lawn-care/lawn-feed-weed-killer/round-up/tree-stump-killer-250ml

If you have got it early I say spray with roundup and respray next year and keep at it until you wipe it out. Just make sure not to cut or dig any of it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Very good recent talk on invasives including knotweed, on a Limerick Council youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvks7ctLOPY.
    It's not just about JK but there's quite a bit on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I wouldn't advise doing it yourself if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing.
    A piece the size of your nail will reproduce.
    Spraying at the wrong time won't be effective. You should get and follow expert advice or get an expert in to treat it.
    There's no 'saving money' solution here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honest question would diesel not kill this? I don't condone just wondering or likes of kerosene.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise doing it yourself if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing.
    A piece the size of your nail will reproduce.
    Spraying at the wrong time won't be effective. You should get and follow expert advice or get an expert in to treat it.
    There's no 'saving money' solution here.

Based on what I have read i won't be spraying it until September.

How much does it cost to address otherwise? I have seen figures of thousands mentioned.

Honest question would diesel not kill this? I don't condone just wondering or likes of kerosene.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

FarFavoriteConey-max-1mb.gif

Dreadful stuff in the wrong (non-professional) hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Strongly advise that people follow what's recommended for JK. people have spent years looking for solutions and what's recommended is seen as best practice.

BTW - I saw a BBC article a while back. There's an insect in Japan that eats only JK. British Dept Ag have them in controlled conditions to see if they have any impact on the environment other than eating JK. if that works it may be possible to introduce the insect to these islands.

Until then it's gonna be patience and a hard slog controlling it.

lanod2407 wrote: »

BTW - I saw a BBC article a while back. There's an insect in Japan that eats only JK. British Dept Ag have them in controlled conditions to see if they have any impact on the environment other than eating JK. if that works it may be possible to introduce the insect to these islands.

Until then it's gonna be patience and a hard slog controlling it.

I think thats a good few years ago now and no major breakthrough. They deployed them in a few sites from what I remember.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

endacl wrote: »
    FarFavoriteConey-max-1mb.gif

I think it would survive^^^.

Roundup worked for me, the day you spray is important. It needs to be a warm, sunny day in late August-September when leaves are transferring nutrients down to the roots before the leaves fall off.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We've had a small patch of it behind a shed ever since I was a wee mite (not today or yesterday in other words :pac:) and it's not spread. Some of it actually ends up being eaten & tramped by the cows every year as the patch is in a small meadow so guess some ends up in a bale each year too. It's certainly around in bigger patches in other areas but ours hasn't spread so we just leave it alone. Guess that helps??

We've had a small patch of it behind a shed ever since I was a wee mite (not today or yesterday in other words :pac:) and it's not spread. Some of it actually ends up being eaten & tramped by the cows every year as the patch is in a small meadow so guess some ends up in a bale each year too. It's certainly around in bigger patches in other areas but ours hasn't spread so we just leave it alone. Guess that helps??

If the cows are eating it then they are probably spreading it to the other areas and anywhere those bales go it will also go...

Anyone who has JK anywhere on their property should be dealing with it.

If the cows are eating it then they are probably spreading it to the other areas and anywhere those bales go it will also go...

Anyone who has JK anywhere on their property should be dealing with it.

It hasn't spread in 25+yrs so no, it's not actually spreading. If it was, I would deal with it.

It hasn't spread in 25+yrs so no, it's not actually spreading. If it was, I would deal with it.

"It's certainly around in bigger patches in other areas but ours hasn't spread so we just leave it alone. "

Are you certain that your patch isnt the source of these "other areas" though?

"It's certainly around in bigger patches in other areas but ours hasn't spread so we just leave it alone. "

Are you certain that your patch isnt the source of these "other areas" though?

When I say other areas, I mean by the side of the road, where hedgecutting takes place, so it speads there. These would be about a mile or two away (at least) from our farm. So yes, it's not ours spreading it as we don't touch it at all with the hedgecutting. I keep an eye on it & if it was to spread, I'd act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I say other areas, I mean by the side of the road, where hedgecutting takes place, so it speads there. These would be about a mile or two away (at least) from our farm. So yes, it's not ours spreading it as we don't touch it at all with the hedgecutting. I keep an eye on it & if it was to spread, I'd act.

Kill it. Just do the right thing..... It will of course spread, the wind takes it, cows will spread.

Do as advised on here and watch it die.

See councils working on it in areas but it's taking years to sort and it then kills everything surrounding too.

If it's JK then you have a responsibility to have it dealt with. Simple as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hedge cutting with a flail type hedge cutter will spread it like wildfire. Or anything machine that would carry tiny particles of the root system.

It does not spread from seeds. or foliage. It can take years to start growing if soil carrying roots is disturbed. It may lie dormant for decades and suddenly burst into growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Mine's the same.

Is this Japanese Knotweed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement