Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofit House

Options
  • 07-07-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm thinking of buying a very large 80s house. Cavity block, plaster board internal walls, oil central heating, 2 gas fires, collapsed fibreglass in the attic, double glazing (appears to be fairly old windows and doors).

So am I mad? There doesn't appear to be anything damp or mould problems visible. I would like to get external insulation, new windows and doors, air to water pump, insulation in attic, check and repair any air draughts etc. New radiators.

Will there be a problem if the plaster board comes right up to the window when i replace them? Are windows replaced internally or externally. I'd get them done at same time as the external insulation.

I know the cost will be high but I'm hoping to get the house at a good price reflecting the situation.

Any comments welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

External insulation on cavity block construction is wasted imo. Internal only, and continuous basement through to attic, works as airtight layer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

whizbang wrote: »
    External insulation on cavity block construction is wasted imo. Internal only, and continuous basement through to attic, works as airtight layer also.
    I've an almost identical house to OP and I've been mulling over the external insulation question for 3 years. I've insulated and floored my loft but always thought that air would still pass down through in capped cavity blocks fro the loft space rendering the external insulation useless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Mine arnt capped. And where the joists are set into the walls, the gap each side of the joist is open into the cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SpartanKiller

I've an almost identical house to OP and I've been mulling over the external insulation question for 3 years. I've insulated and floored my loft but always thought that air would still pass down through in capped cavity blocks fro the loft space rendering the external insulation useless

Did you ever get any quotes? I've heard over €100 per square meter of wall. Also I've a balcony. How is that insulated i.e. I presume it could act as a cold thermal bridge. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Did you ever get any quotes? I've heard over €100 per square meter of wall. Also I've a balcony. How is that insulated i.e. I presume it could act as a cold thermal bridge. Thanks
    I did yeah but I'd have to dig it out. It was about two years ago. DM me your email address and I'll send it on to you if I can find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Meanman

Anyone know when the new retrofit scheme announced earlier in the week might kick off. Can't see anything in the media?

Advertisement