Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bathroom, shower leaking

• 12-07-2020 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

I had a new bathroom fitted and the shower area is leaking. It's a flat tray with tiles right down the wall to it, looks like the silicone wasn't done well and has gaps and so the leak is getting through where the tray meets the wall.

Now the builder told me an aquastrap had been fitted so would I be right in saying if it was just a problem with gaps in the silicone it still shouldn't be leaking right through to the ceiling below?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Not 100% sure I understand your question, so apologies if this doesn't answer it: If the silicone is not fully sealed between the tray and the tiles, it will leak through the ceiling below. That's been my experience with our shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Not 100% sure I understand your question, so apologies if this doesn't answer it: If the silicone is not fully sealed between the tray and the tiles, it will leak through the ceiling below. That's been my experience with our shower.

Thanks, so what is the point of the aquastrap then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thanks, so what is the point of the aquastrap then?

It's supposed to seal around the edges.

Yes, so even if the silicone fails the aquastrap should keep it water tight? Is that not correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

And it looks to be a good product, but even if fitted correctly only catches that one point. Showers in my experience are high risk for leaking, particularly those level access trays. The only solid solution I have implemented over three houses was a fully tanked solution floor to ceiling prior to tiling.

This kind of thing. https://www.goodwins.ie/products/aquaseal-wet-room-system-large-kit.html

If I were you, I’d keep the pressure on your builder to come up with a proper and long term solution - not something that fixes it for now but is going to be leaking in 12 months.

• Advertisement

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    And it looks to be a good product, but even if fitted correctly only catches that one point. Showers in my experience are high risk for leaking, particularly those level access trays. The only solid solution I have implemented over three houses was a fully tanked solution floor to ceiling prior to tiling.

This kind of thing. https://www.goodwins.ie/products/aquaseal-wet-room-system-large-kit.html

If I were you, I’d keep the pressure on your builder to come up with a proper and long term solution - not something that fixes it for now but is going to be leaking in 12 months.

Will do, although when I pour water low down at the junction where the tray meets the tile that's when the leak is dripping downstairs. Must be just a poorly installed aquastrap.

Advertisement