Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

An article in the Times about the whole Depp domestic violence case. Despite him (a male) taking a case against the Sun in relation to accusations that he is a domestic abuser the article highlights the one sided nature of this topic.

At the end:
    If you are affected by the issues in this article, you can contact the Women’s Aid 24-hour helpline on 1800-341900. Stop Domestic Violence in Ireland can be contacted at stopdomesticviolenceinireland@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

py2006 wrote: »
    An article in the Times about the whole Depp domestic violence case. Despite him (a male) taking a case against the Sun in relation to accusations that he is a domestic abuser the article highlights the one sided nature of this topic.

At the end:
    I just found this:
    Priscilla suffered more than a decade of harrowing abuse before she and Ainie set up Stop Domestic Violence in Ireland (SDVII), a voluntary organisation to help women and men who find themselves trapped in violent relationships, in 2014.[\quote]The pink colour on their website made me think it might just be for females.

This ended up in my Facebook feeds today:
    https://www.facebook.com/1588358131/posts/10219845258473730/
    Conveniently no mention of Belgium, for example, where death rates are high.
    man wrote:
    The world would be a better place if it was ran by women
    <puke emoji>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

iptba wrote: »
    This ended up in my Facebook feeds today:
    https://www.facebook.com/1588358131/posts/10219845258473730/
    Conveniently no mention of Belgium, for example, where death rates are high.

<puke emoji>

I find that if you listen to anything feminist related through the voice of a ten year old girl it all makes a lot more sense....

Men are the ****tiest oppressor class in world history. More suicides, shorter lives, more work, more dangerous work, less custody, fewer purchasing decisions.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/hxmwpp/take_care_of_your_homies_ok/fz7ipkj?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

• Advertisement

Various findings demonstrating biases, attitudes, and treatments that favor women over men
    Finding Citation
    People prefer to spare the lives of females over the lives of males Awad, Bonnefon, Shariff, & Rahwan, 2019

People support more social action to correct female underrepresentation in careers than male underrepresentation Block, Croft, De Souza, & Schmader, 2019

Both male and female faculty preferred hiring a female over a male applicant for tenure-track assistant professorships in STEM Ceci & Williams, 2015

Offenders who victimize females receive longer sentences than those who victimize males; males who victimize females receive the longest sentences Curry, Lee, & Rodriguez, 2004

Police respond more negatively toward hypothetical male rape victims than hypothetical female rape victims Davies, Smith, & Rogers, 2009

Women receive more help than men Eagly & Crowley, 1986

Women are evaluated more favorably than men Eagly, Mladinic, & Otto, 1991

People are less willing to harm females than males FeldmanHall, Dalgleish, Evans, Navrady, Tedeschi, & Mobbs, 2016

In vehicular homicides, drivers who kill women are given longer sentences than those who kill men Glaeser & Sacerdote, 2003

People are particularly intolerant of aggression from a male and aggression directed toward a female Harris & Knight-Bohnhoff, 1996

People adjust essay performance evaluations upward when they learn the writer is female Jampol & Zayas, 2017

Women are punished less than men for the same crime Mazzella & Feingold, 1994

Controlling for numerous characteristics, men receive longer prison sentences than women Mustard, 2001

People have more empathy for female than male perpetrators and female than male victims Osman, 2011

Women are more easily seen as victims and men as perpetrators Reynolds, Howard, Sjåstad, Zhu, Okimoto, Baumeister, Aquino, & Kim, 2020

People attribute less guilt to a female-on-male sexual aggressor than a male-on-female sexual aggressor Russel, Oswald, & Kraus, 2011

People have less sympathy for male than female perpetrators and more sympathy for female than male victims Savage, Scarduzio, Lockwood Harris, Carlyle, & Sheff, 2017

Female sex offenders are given shorter sentences than male sex offenders Shields & Cochran, 2019

Women’s aggression is perceived as more acceptable than men’s aggression Stewart-Williams, 2002

People evaluate science on female-favoring sex differences more favorably than science on male-favoring sex differences Stewart-Williams, Chang, Wong, Blackburn, & Thomas, 2020

Psychologists agree more that it is possible that women evolved to be more verbally talented than men than that men evolved to be more mathematically talented than women von Hippel & Buss, 2017

People evaluate science that suggests that women score higher on IQ tests than men more favorably than science that suggests the opposite Winegard, Clark, Hasty, & Baumeister, 2018

People wish to censor a book that suggests that men evolved to be better leaders than women more than a book that suggests the opposite Winegard, Clark, Bunnel, & Farkas, 2019
    https://quillette.com/2020/07/27/the-myth-of-pervasive-misogyny/

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Mary Wilson had a Professor on the radio yesterday i think it was about 5 o'clock. This professor was banging on uninterrupted about how the LC assessment will negatively effect girls. I was waiting for Mary to at least point out that girls have been doing better than boys in nearly every subject for years. But no. The professor had a free run to peddle her feminist driven rubbish.
    I would assume Mary is a rich white, middle class female also. So more like a privileged feminist brings her privileged feminist friend on her show.

It's all too common. There is a despicable segment on [iirc] BBC Newsnight about male victims of domestic abuse , the problems, stereotypes, prejudices and the lack of a tailored support system in place. And you could see the odious female 'host' bored out of her mind about it as it isn't to do with how men have everything built up around us. These so-called 'hosts' are often participating parties in a left-wing capacity. That is mostly what you see in these chat shows.
    (UK)
    Another "women-worse-affected" article and even now a campaign:
    This is simply to do with funding and job creation for middle-class women. They will try this with anything.

Feminism is more about feminists than it is about women/girls. It is invariably women from the top echelons representing themselves and while it may have liberal views but in an economic/class sense it is as money-centered as the white male patriarchy is. It simply pretends it is all about mortality and it clearly is not.

py2006 wrote: »
    I think this might be a satirical account.

Why are there so many angry dads?
    About to blow a gasket? Try gentle parenting. It’s worth the effort
    about 11 hours ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/why-are-there-so-many-angry-dads-1.4314705

COMMENTS
    Silly heading. There is enough truth in the fact of negative parenting without having to play the gender blame game as well. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought 'poor child' or 'leave the poor child alone' while the mother is scolding it or them. One of the classic examples is listening to the mother hushing the child trying to tell its story, when it is actually she who is making most of the noise. One occasion I remember sharing a smile with a woman and her children, only later having to hurry past the same woman who just around the corner had been screaming almost psychotically at the poor children. I've witnessed much less a father tearing into children, though I know it happens, too.
    If the writer had observed angry mum's the narrative would be "Men need to do more to alleviate the stress endured by women", when men are put under pressure there is no call to arms for them to receive support, only more criticism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Children need discipline and crave boundaries. They push and push until they get close to the line and when a parent/guardian steps in to draw the line they gain a sense of safety and security that someone else is there for them emotionally. In my personal experience, the same applies to many adult women. You don’t need a PhD in psychology to figure that one out. Its also why so many fatherless children go on to have major difficulties in life.

All this “gentle parenting” stuff leads to mediocrity, weakness and lack of personal responsibility/discipline in adult life. I have no time for any type of physical punishment or shouting at kids - it is quite possible to be stern with a child, not angry. When your kid is having a temper tantrum in the middle of Tesco, its not them “expressing themselves”, its just reflective of a parent who has no control over the situation.

Girls to do better than boys in ‘calculated grade’ Leaving Cert exams as gender trends will be built into results

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/girls-to-do-better-than-boys-in-calculated-grade-leaving-cert-exams-as-gender-trends-will-be-built-into-results-39454619.html

This is probably fair enough. However, it will be interesting to see the detail: girls don't do better in every single subject. Also, will most public commentators and groups be more interested in ensuring there is not discrimination against girls more than they are about discrimination against boys.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/girls-to-do-better-than-boys-in-calculated-grade-leaving-cert-exams-as-gender-trends-will-be-built-into-results-39454619.html

This is probably fair enough. However, it will be interesting to see the detail: girls don't do better in every single subject. Also, will most public commentators and groups be more interested in ensuring there is not discrimination against girls more than they are about discrimination against boys.

Is it fair?

Imagine that statement with genders reversed.
    The calculated grading system being used for this year's Leaving Certificate has been designed to ensure that overall girls will do better than boys.

They would be making sure girls catch up with the boys!

It will be interesting to see the results in the Sciences and maths this year!

They will probably draw them level in the stem subjects and place the girls ahead in the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

It really isn’t fair enough though. It builds in a known gender bias and just says that’s what the results “should” look like. I think someone line ihrec need to be bombarded with enough emails querying it that they get off their ass and get involved

Boys are really not represented though. In the school system efforts are made to help girls in physics/applied maths but girls doing better than boys is not just accepted it's celebrated as equality. This impacts boys getting to college. It's a hypocritical woke attitude that acts as if equality issues are that simple and they are not.
    They will probably draw them level in the stem subjects and place the girls ahead in the rest.

That's usually how it works yes. Even though universityies are white, middle-class female dominated it's seen as acceptable but more white males in physics is oppression.

I think male issues need to be more represented especially with the leftism embedded into the educational system. Men's groups need to move away from online sources.

Edit: It's possible this way of generating at LC results in only going bring to light the inherent biases in our school system because we will all be thinking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I posted about this on the current affairs thread earlier - when you look at the top 4 grades for each subject in 2019, girls outperformed boys in 33 of the 37 subjects (all but maths, applied maths, chemistry and engineering iirc)

33 subjects where girls did better: progress

4 subjects where boys did better: tyranny/bias/oppression

It will be interesting to see where all this leads. I can’t see young men engaging with third level outside of STEM as the university is a hostile space for men now. I’ve always been a big proponent of higher education but if I had an 17/18 year old son I’m not sure how I would best advise him. If I had my time again I’d probably take my chances in the workforce straight out of school, and thats a sad thing for me to admit.

I just came across this tweet when searching for Gavin Reilly and his COVID-19 updates (by the way, he spells his name “Gavan):
    https://twitter.com/oisinh1/status/1223024031252779008?s=21

Anyway it got me thinking that I’ve rarely if ever heard a female equivalent to something like too much testosterone/testosterone-fueled/similar. I imagine journalists and other would be very hesitant to use a female equivalent.

UK University Entrants 2019

The ratio of women to men starting undergraduate courses continues to increase, reaching an excess of women over men across all subjects of 34% in 2019 (Fig.2). There is no sign that the rate of increase of this excess of female over male undergraduates is slowing down.

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3428

This gives trends over the last number of years for different categories of courses

A Level Results 2020: The Examless Year
    Figure 1, which heads this post, tells the main story: As regards the top grades (A*,A and B), girls have been awarded between 25% and 32% more over the last ten years (since the A* grade was introduced in 2010). This year, based on examless assessments, this has increased to an all-time high of 36.3%.

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3408

• Advertisement

Filthy Men Deserve to Die
    http://empathygap.uk/?p=3312
    See how “more men die” is immediately followed by “it’s men’s own fault”. It always is. Male suicide, male failure in education, male victims of domestic abuse, men’s mental illnesses, men’s health disadvantages, men’s alienation from their own children…they are all men’s own fault. (Unlike women’s disadvantages, of course, which only a hateful sexist bigot would suggest was their own fault).

The psychology of this came home to me forcibly when street-campaigning against male genital mutilation. Feminist types are wont to react to you, not merely by disagreeing, but with passionate anger. I was quite baffled. Whilst I can understand some people may have a different opinion, where does that anger come from? I could understand anger if I were campaigning in favour of cutting body parts of babies – but why should anyone be so cross about campaigning against it? The answer, I believe, is that such people – feminists – cannot bear the spotlight of concern being turned on males – even male babies. The spotlight of concern must always be upon females. It’s more than just the empathy gap; women must be granted the monopoly of concern, not merely most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You have to remember, feminists have convinced themselves that our "Patriarchial" society is oppressing women it is also bad for men....so logically, men have created an oppressive system that we are all victims of....when in reality, feminists have succumbed to man hating or have allowed themselves to be influenced by man haters...it's a sad way to live your life that will ultimately create a very lonely and emotionally stunted generation of women.

Covid-19 and Female Leaders

When the feminists are not busy vilifying men and presenting women as their perpetual victims, they are indulging in self-glorification instead.

Yesterday The Guardian ran a story titled, “Female-led countries handled coronavirus better, study suggests”. They linked to this study by Supriya Garikipati and Uma Kambhampati at the universities of Liverpool and Reading respectively.

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3449
    Conclusion

The claim made by Garikipati and Kambhampati, namely that “COVID-outcomes are systematically better in countries led by women”, is not supported by the data. On the contrary, there is no statistically significant difference between female-led countries and the totality of countries.

Garikipati and Kambhampati compare male and female led countries by pair-wise comparison, i.e., one female led country is paired with one male-led country. This is illustrated by the Guardian graphic reproduced as Figure 1. It is clear from the huge scatter in the data shown in Figures 5, 6 and 7 that how one chooses the pairs in question will dictate the answer one gets. In other words, Garikipati and Kambhampati have indulged in a particularly crude form of cherry picking and referring to it “nearest neighbour matching” does not improve its validity. It is readily seen from Figures 5-7 that one could easily pick pairs of countries which would seem to support the idea that women leaders were crap compared with men – if anyone were so silly as to wish to do so.

Another long post (from this individual or team?)
    The Language of Division

The language in question is that of Adrienne Barnett in “A genealogy of hostility: parental alienation in England and Wales”, Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law (Jan 2020). The paper discusses the role of parental alienation within the English and Welsh family courts.

The striking thing about the paper is that Barnett neglects almost entirely the alienated children – until the very last sentence, when she seems to remember what she should have been addressing. The entirety of the paper is presented from a sex war perspective. Claims of parental alienation (PA) are portrayed in this paper as a weapon being deployed by abusive fathers against mothers and their children, and – she claims – credulous courts are falling for it.

Barnett appears to have little interest in PA. Her paper is actually about claims of PA, rather than PA itself, and about the effectiveness of such claims in influencing the outcomes of adversarial contests in the family courts. The reality – that PA is principally a form of child abuse – is notable for its absence. Instead her perspective revolves around claims of PA being a weapon deployed by men against women in a sex war: the child disappears from the picture.

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3353

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Yeahhh, when someone tries this “ women leaders were better” lark ask them about Belgium......

What else would we expect from places like Universities and The Graun. God forbid the fight the poverty/unemployment inflicted in poor countries of Africa, South America and South East Asia due to the pandemic.

When it comes to actual activism it seems western feminists are the least likely to be involved.

The Emotional Life of Boys: One Size Does Not Fit All
    By John C. Panepinto, PsyD, LPCS, NCCLast updated: 15 Aug 2020
    ~ 3 MIN READ

https://psychcentral.com/blog/the-emotional-life-of-boys-one-size-does-not-fit-all
    What can we do?

If EQ is the processing of emotional information in self and other, then there needs to be room for different presentations and personalities. Boys can be sensitive and extremely astute at reading emotions, but “how it looks” can be varied. When I consider my experience with some of the most sensitive, empathic, and kind boys, they spoke little but listened — even when you thought they weren’t. Their actions revealed the depth of their heart and emotional life where words may have been limited.

Just as intelligence is not one-dimensional, EQ can look different for boys and girls. Boys hear your words and feel you. Inside the most “boyish” boy resides vulnerable and tender core. Most of our processing of emotional life resides in the nonverbal right hemisphere. In a world of words, this can be hard to “hear.” But, let’s hold this thought when we attempt to create a template for something as complicated as emotional intelligence. Let’s listen and be present and remember that attunement — the quality of feeling “felt” — is powerful and beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    Boys are really not represented though. In the school system efforts are made to help girls in physics/applied maths but girls doing better than boys is not just accepted it's celebrated as equality. This impacts boys getting to college. It's a hypocritical woke attitude that acts as if equality issues are that simple and they are not.

That's usually how it works yes. Even though universityies are white, middle-class female dominated it's seen as acceptable but more white males in physics is oppression.

I think male issues need to be more represented especially with the leftism embedded into the educational system. Men's groups need to move away from online sources.

Edit: It's possible this way of generating at LC results in only going bring to light the inherent biases in our school system because we will all be thinking about it now.

Boys are much more likely to receive support in school, theyre more likely to get tested and receive supports for ADHD, Autism and learning difficulties, girls are massively under diagnosed and can go untreated throughout their entire years at school. That in itself is a bias in favor of boys.

Some boys are more likely to and choose to dropout of school before their leaving cert or not go to college so they can learn a trade and start working instead, and who could blame them?, it's very common for boys that live on farms or have farming in their family/locality to drop out of school and start working, boys are more likely to take over family businesses or take up apprenticeships in carpentry etc, for which a junior cert or fas course is the highest education level required for most. - Girls could drop out too if they wanted but there's less work opportunities for girls who leave school at a young age and most female gendered jobs require a further level of education beyond leaving certificate.

Boys can do badly in school for a number of reasons, allot of it can be down to their social groups and peer pressure.

Girls are massively underrepresented in physics and maths because boys and men have been encouraged to undertake those subjects, literally for centuries while women were deterred from them.

Jobs in social care, teaching, nursing, childcare ect are over represented by women, theres been in an increase in the last 10 years or so to encourage more boys and men to go into these areas. Plenty of these jobs post advertisements specifically asking for male applicants.

All that said, if you think there is a gender bias in schools and that the school system treats boys badly or doesnt give them equal opportunities, thats a serious accusation to make. Women have been fighting bias and unequal opportunities, we've had to fight very hard to get rights.
    If you think that boys are now being treated unequally, you should really take this further, could you bring the education sector to court? write to universities about your thoughts on the gender bias that's happening? Start up a protest?

There's no point crying on the internet about it, imagine if, instead of doing something about the gender discrimination women faced, they didn't bother to try and change anything? If you think this is a real issue then you should absolutely take your argument further.

Boys are much more likely to receive support in school, theyre more likely to get tested and receive supports for ADHD, Autism and learning difficulties, girls are massively under diagnosed and can go untreated throughout their entire years at school. That in itself is a bias in favor of boys.

Some boys are more likely to and choose to dropout of school before their leaving cert or not go to college so they can learn a trade and start working instead, and who could blame them?, it's very common for boys that live on farms or have farming in their family/locality to drop out of school and start working, boys are more likely to take over family businesses or take up apprenticeships in carpentry etc, for which a junior cert or fas course is the highest education level required for most. - Girls could drop out too if they wanted but there's less work opportunities for girls who leave school at a young age and most female gendered jobs require a further level of education beyond leaving certificate.

Boys can do badly in school for a number of reasons, allot of it can be down to their social groups and peer pressure.

Girls are massively underrepresented in physics and maths because boys and men have been encouraged to undertake those subjects, literally for centuries while women were deterred from them.

Jobs in social care, teaching, nursing, childcare ect are over represented by women, theres been in an increase in the last 10 years or so to encourage more boys and men to go into these areas. Plenty of these jobs post advertisements specifically asking for male applicants.

All that said, if you think there is a gender bias in schools and that the school system treats boys badly or doesnt give them equal opportunities, thats a serious accusation to make. Women have been fighting bias and unequal opportunities, we've had to fight very hard to get rights.
    If you think that boys are now being treated unequally, you should really take this further, could you bring the education sector to court? write to universities about your thoughts on the gender bias that's happening? Start up a protest?

There's no point crying on the internet about it, imagine if, instead of doing something about the gender discrimination women faced, they didn't bother to try and change anything? If you think this is a real issue then you should absolutely take your argument further.

Have you evidence for any of this?

• Advertisement

Some boys are more likely to and choose to dropout of school before their leaving cert or not go to college so they can learn a trade and start working instead, and who could blame them?, it's very common for boys that live on farms or have farming in their family/locality to drop out of school and start working, boys are more likely to take over family businesses or take up apprenticeships in carpentry etc, for which a junior cert or fas course is the highest education level required for most.

This is only small portion of men and may be more common up to 20 to 30 years ago. Most boys in order to compete for jobs that will allow them earn enough to purchase a house etc will need to go to third level of some sort.

But the system seems vastly against them right now. Girls consistently outperform boys at higher level in 34 out of 40 (I think) leaving cert subjects. And this is celebrated in the media each year with "you go girls" type articles.

If these figures were reversed and 95% of teachers were men there would be something done about it very quickly.

Also, boys traditionally do better in maths and physics not down to some sort of sexism or lack of encouragement for girls, but its down to how differently we are wired (to put it simply).

Also, before this years calculated grades come out, it has been confirmed the girls will outperform boys:
    The calculated grading system being used for this year's Leaving Certificate has been designed to ensure that overall girls will do better than boys.

The exams system is supposed to be blind and anonymised, but the gender of students will be taken into account, the Irish Independent has learned.

Advertisement