Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Rights Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭iptba

Interesting advice issue in the Irish Times about a man who would like to be the stay-at-home parent for a few years. Unfortunately, behind a pay wall:
    She is something of a traditionalist and says she finds the idea of a stay-at-home dad strange. She also says she worries that I will enjoy the fun bits too much and never want to return to work. I think she just doesn’t want to leave the little man with anyone else, even me. But she craves work, she needs the company of colleagues and we both agree that she wants to face the challenges that work will offer her.
    How can I convince her that this could be a very good idea?
    However, you are also facing some very ingrained traditional ideas of what heterosexual marriage and family looks like. One of the underlying assumptions of traditional marriage is that the woman has the choice of working part-time or taking time off in order to look after children and the husband will take on the role of the provider. While this assumption has long been impossible – most couples need two salaries to survive – having the choice brings up underlying ideas and values that can be surprisingly strong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/how-do-i-convince-my-wife-that-i-d-be-a-great-stay-at-home-dad-1.4261863

The queue in the bank was long with men and women trying to get money business done on their lunch break. A solitary cashier struggled with a customer who had questions and a great deal of paperwork. As the queue threatened to reach the street, a woman spoke up; might it not be simpler for the information desk to deal with that customer, so that others might get their cash.

There is nothing more political right now than childcare: it is the matrix for lockdown lifting. Without it nothing much can happen
    “Yay,” came an enthusiastic cry, “let’s hear it for the women”. And with that a rallying murmur began. Until the quiet female voice asserted itself again: “I didn’t realise the queue for the cashier was a gender issue.”

She killed the moment. But she had a point. Men were standing there too and were just as uncomfortable. There is a certain kind of populism, what you might call a fuzzy, warm feeling feminism, which sees sisterhood in everything. Which might be all very fine, if it didn’t exclude the other half of the suffering queue.
    An important paper by Jemimah Bailey of Trinity College Dublin examines the structural barriers for men who want more involvement with their children, challenges the notion of the “patriarchal dividend” which simply means that men have it all – agency, power, influence – and suggests instead that when it comes to fatherhood, men can be in a position of disadvantage.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/anne-harris-fatherhood-could-be-the-big-winner-from-lockdown-1.4268902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

She is something of a traditionalist and says she finds the idea of a stay-at-home dad strange.

Translation: You'll be served divorce papers within a year as she will not see you as the "man she fell in love with" anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Notice the use of the word, 'traditionalist' and not other words that are fired towards men with similar attitudes.

Which doesn't matter because any suggestion that the victim is responsible, is victim blaming/shaming. And it's not even when the person becomes the victim.. in many debates the victim is a victim before anything happens.. hence the removal of responsibility.

Now, if the victim is male, there are different rules, which aren't as comprehensive/flexible as the ones for female victims. (When i say flexible, I'm not saying open to interpretation, I'm referring to finding/using any possible positive perspective for the female victim)
    There is a documentary on currently about a very well known golfer and it has reminded me of the media coverage and reaction with the domestic violence incident in his house around a decade ago. If the genders were reversed, the attitudes and reporting would have been very different.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/trinity-college-dublin_luke-oneill-on-covid-19-female-leaders-activity-6674945919026311168-lysN
    Trinity College Dublin
    Trinity College Dublin
    144,606 followers
    7h • 7 hours ago

Some countries experienced 6 times less daily COVID-19 deaths than others. What was the difference between them?

Female leadership.

Researchers from Trinity College Dublin have found that in countries with women in leadership positions, the average number of days with confirmed deaths was 34 versus 48 in countries led by men. Women leaders have been much faster to react to the crisis and declare lockdowns, resulting in a smaller death count. But why is that so, and was this the case universally? Find out more at:

https://fal.cn/38tBX
    I wonder would the researchers have published such a study if the genders were reversed? There's something sometimes called the file drawer problem where only some results get published.

And if the genders had been reversed, would Trinity College Dublin have posted on it on their LinkedIn account.

Also this is saying that there is a difference between male and female leaders but other times we are told there are no differences. It often seems like the case that when it suits females are said to be better than males in some way, but at other times, we are told that there are no differences. Certainly most people and most media outlets are very wary about saying males are better than females on average in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

iptba wrote: »
    And if the genders had been reversed, would Trinity College Dublin have posted on it on their LinkedIn account.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal to do so :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Well it's interesting to see what these countries are, isn't it? Let's see: New Zealand, Denmark, Norway and Finland.
    So we have a de-facto Police state with a super-sparse population and three countries which are famous for having a civilised, compliant and law-abiding citizen base(Finland has the lowest crime rate in the world, and has had it since before having a female leader).

The "bad men" examples are on the other hand Sweden, Britain and the US - three countries where the decisions taken were moronic at best, with the idiotic idea of the "herd immunity" paraded as a sure fact, when little about the virus was even known.

In some countries the institutional response has been rapid, but the population took nearly a month to finally understand it wasn't a joke - the most prominent case being Italy, with a citizen base that is known for not being exactly fond of rules (and being Italian myself, I can say that - before anyone accuses me of "racism"). The lockdown had been placed, but people kept going out and about, meeting, having house parties until the death toll became quite impossible to ignore.

Not to mention that bigger countries, with a much higher statistical relevance than the ones mentioned in the article, did a LOT better - Japan and South Korea, for example. Not to mention the fact that Denmark has more cases per 1M population that Iran, Turkey and Austria. But I guess that doesn't count.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

If they would really like to compare how this current batch of political leaders coped with lockdown, they should of course normalise thr results for socio economic factors, etc

I suspect then you'll see no appreciable difference whatsoever.

Trinity really make themselves look like sexist gobsh1tes publishing thay kind of research and presenting it as they have.

I hope they get their comeuppance for it tbh.

• Advertisement

(Not important)
    Living with my boyfriend is not all it’s cracked up to be
    Bobbie Hickey: I thought moving in with my partner would be ‘fun’, ‘cute’ and ‘easy’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/living-with-my-boyfriend-is-not-all-it-s-cracked-up-to-be-1.4270755

I wonder how this guy feels about her pet peeves about him appearing in a national paper. Admittedly they’re not that bad (at least in my eyes) and she then goes on to praise him but it is only one side of the story. Would the Irish Times have printed a similar article with the genders reversed?

(Not important at all)
    I just saw that the leaving cert was trending and I click on a few posts. This was near the top of what I saw. To openly admit such views under your own name seems strange to me. If they had just said male, I probably would have ignored it. But bringing in the white part makes me think this person may consider themselves woke:
    https://twitter.com/hoochiemother/status/1270833559859875845

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

(Not important at all)
    I just saw that the leaving cert was trending and I click on a few posts. This was near the top of what I saw. To openly admit such views under your own name seems strange to me. If they had just said male, I probably would have ignored it. But bringing in the white part makes me think this person may consider themselves woke:
    https://twitter.com/hoochiemother/status/1270833559859875845

Daddy issues....it's much more common these days, they are generally anxiety ridden misfortunes...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

More unchecked propaganda from the NWCI.. The whole "Covid is worse for women" piece has been done to death (pardon the pun)

https://www.thejournal.ie/of-covid-19-deaths-in-ireland-5120508-Jun2020/
    THERE HAS BEEN a call for the Oireachtas Covid-19 Committee to hold a special session to examine the effect the coronavirus has had on women in Ireland.

It comes after figures indicate that women in Ireland make up a larger proportion of both deaths and confirmed cases when compared with international figures.

At the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, it seemed that Covid-19 hit men harder than it did women: one study found that by mid March, males accounted for 64% of deaths in China, 58% in France, 62% in Germany, 59% in Iran, 71% in Italy and 54% in South Korea.

Public health experts have said that this is possibly due to men being more likely to engage in unhealthy activities such as drinking or smoking, or because women seem to have more robust immune systems.

Although there are more women aged over 60 in Ireland, men are statistically slightly more likely to smoke, or have a longterm chronic condition.

But here in Ireland, the latest figures show that we’re bucking that trend: 57% of confirmed cases are female, and 50.5% of Covid-19 related deaths are also female. The latter figure compares with 42% in Europe.

Analysis by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) of weekly trends shows that since early April, more women have been infected than men – and now 57% of all cases are women, despite women making up 51% of the population.

Further breakdown of the gender shows that of the total deaths of 1,518 on 15 May, the median age of female deaths was 85, and the median age of male deaths was 82. The median age of female confirmed Covid-19 cases was 47, compared to the male median age of 49.

Orla O’Connor of the National Women’s Council of Ireland says that we’re still not sure why the data is skewed so that Irish women make up the majority of cases: “We don’t have the scientific data to tell us why this is the case, but what we would say is that it really highlights certain factors that the Covid-19 crisis has really shown up.”

She said there were three factors that have been highlighted.

“One is the number of older women in nursing homes,” she said. “The other two significant factors are the fact that the majority of our health workers are women. And the third one is that the majority of people who are in caring – caring for older people, caring for ill people – are women as well.”

One sane sentence in the entire article:
    Responding to a question posed by TheJournal.ie at a Department of Health briefing, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn made the point that the case fatality rate for women was 6%, which compares to 8% for men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

"THERE HAS BEEN a call for the Oireachtas Covid-19 Committee to hold a special session to examine the effect the coronavirus has had on women in Ireland."

Why is it if something effects women more more than men you get these calls?

More men working in IT - calls to increase the amount of women in IT

More women working in teaching - Ah that's grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably due to women being of a higher average age than men in the country and women's life expectancy being longer. If you've got more 70+ women than men which the disease hit most, you'll likely have more deaths.

Based off last census, there were 44,000 more women aged over 65 than men.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Probably due to women being of a higher average age than men in the country and women's life expectancy being longer. If you've got more 70+ women than men which the disease hit most, you'll likely have more deaths.

Based off last census, there were 44,000 more women aged over 65 than men.

And if the genders were reversed, then there would be calls to investigate and ensure that the gap be narrowed. It would be considered unacceptable/unfair that women lived shorter than men...

Exposure to danger in the workplace is one metric to look at the workplace. I think I saw that 97% of workplace fatalities are male, not sure if it was in the EU or in the UK. I saw another figure of 93% I think for the US which included shootings. Last time I saw, the Irish safety body didn’t publish a gender breakdown for Ireland though they had detailed descriptions of each workplace deaths so could have such info.

Exposure to danger in the workplace is one reason for a gender pay gap: jobs that are more dangerous need to pay better or workers won’t take them over similar jobs that aren’t as risky.

Another women-have-it-worse-with-Covid-19 article:
    Is the Covid-19 crisis taking women back to the 1950s?
    Decades of advances under threat as women juggle work and childcare
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/is-the-covid-19-crisis-taking-women-back-to-the-1950s-1.4281579

It originally appeared in the Financial Times

On the Coronvirus thing I had a great laugh when I heard on the radio that women were feeling more negative effects from the virus. Interest piqued, I turned it up and it turns out it was based on a survey about feelings of stress because of the virus. Women are more worried about it which is news apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

On the Coronvirus thing I had a great laugh when I heard on the radio that women were feeling more negative effects from the virus. Interest piqued, I turned it up and it turns out it was based on a survey about feelings of stress because of the virus. Women are more worried about it which is news apparently.

As a matter of interest which radio station pumped that non-story out?

Was is Newstalk? They're very 'progressive'.

• Advertisement

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Also following clearing out cookies and the like from my desktop, I am no longer automatically shown trending hashtags, but instead a variety of items (I can click on to see trending hashtags, but only do that a few times a day). So I'll probably be highlighting a variety of trending topics and hashtags from now on

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/lwi_gaa/status/1246054327460007936?s=11

Deadly attack at erotic spa in Toronto was 'incel terrorism,' police allege

I've no idea why Twitter said this was trending: when I put the link into Twitter, not a single person had tweeted the link
    Gender Justice
    Feminist prosecutors and their feminist detractors.
    https://slate.com/podcasts/hi-phi-nation/2020/05/feminist-prosecution-of-sexual-assault-and-domestic-violence

#AmyCooper
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/central-park-karen-white-woman-calls-cops-black-man-leash-dog/
    https://twitter.com/skelechiwatson/status/1265350348237144064
    https://twitter.com/edder_icks/status/1265243639309107201

TERF

#FathersDay

#womensupportingwomen
    Mainly associated with fundraising for Safe Ireland who provide domestic violence services for women
    Irish Women in Harmony @irewomeninharm A community for the women of Ireland in music in support of @SAFEireland #WomenSupportingWomen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I embrace the incel subculture for calling out this degeneracy:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

80% of people who marry are unhappy.

I can't bring myself to read this but it looks like it might be saying that sports for girls/women are worse affected than sports for boys/men:

There is likely a place for highlighting how genders are worse affected in particular ways. But only highlighting how females/girls/women are worse affected or perhaps more correctly, claiming female/girls/women are worse affected, in particular ways gives a very unbalanced picture. And it could lead to discriminatory practices.

No laughing matter
    The comedy scene in Ireland has been rocked by allegations of abusive relationships, which have come spilling out all over social media. Anna Nolan wonders if there’s a dangerous level of toxic masculinity seeping through the Irish comedy circuit. (Premium)

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/allegations-about-irish-comedy-scene-show-that-women-are-still-living-in-a-world-where-power-is-too-often-abused-39308149.html

I don't have access to this so can't see what it's like.

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Also following clearing out cookies and the like from my desktop, I am no longer automatically shown trending hashtags, but instead a variety of items (I can click on to see trending hashtags, but only do that a few times a day). So I'll probably be highlighting a variety of trending topics and hashtags from now on

Text SAFE to 50300
    Text donation facility for Safe Ireland to provide domestic violence services for women and children
    Also
    safe ireland

Trending in Ireland
    #MeToo

#Ibelieveher

Lots of mentions of Comic Relief-related posts
    The money raised is for The Community Foundation For Ireland. One of the 8 areas they cover is "women and girls". There is no equivalent fund for males.

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/wileyinresearch/status/1273578708234731523?s=11
    Trinity College Dublin
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/trinity-college-dublin_inspiringgenerations-internationalwomeninengineeringday-activity-6681210047399251968-qm7P/

#GenderDisparityRadioIre

#reawakenthefeminists

There’s another global pandemic: and it's specifically affecting women
    Cases of femicide have spiked globally since the start of the coronavirus pandemic — especially in South Africa. The country has seen a surge since the government eased lockdown restrictions in June, which is renewing public outrage.
    [Comment: it's specifically affecting women, because that's how it is defined. Any deaths of males won't be counted]

It looks like they are going to cancel the leaving cert and award predictive grades. This will likely widen the gap between girls and boys. Boys are much more likely to be late crammers.
    iptba wrote:
    That reminded me of another issue:
    Quote:
    Teachers 'give higher marks to girls'
    By Sean Coughlan
    Education correspondent
    Quote:
    An OECD report on gender in education, across more than 60 countries, found that girls receive higher marks compared with boys of the same ability.

Researchers suggest girls are better behaved in class and this influences how teachers perceive their work.

Differences in school results can sometimes "have little to do with ability", says the study.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/education-31751672
    A feminist sociologist has written about her concern for bias:
    Leaving Cert calculated grades open to danger of gender bias
    Non-anonymous marking may expose department to legal action for prejudice
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/leaving-cert-calculated-grades-open-to-danger-of-gender-bias-1.4292770

No prizes for guessing which gender will suffer the bias.

Lots of sceptical comments underneath e.g.
    It is not an academic exercise as to whether the author's hypothesis is interesting. It is messing with real people's lives. By the time results are out and college places allocated, the question of gender bias will be moot. But for what it is worth, gender bias in predictive grading will most likely run against boys, not girls:

"We are aware of some evidence that boys, for instance, do better in exams than in course-work and this may affect predicted grades."

Ref: https://rss.org.uk/RSS/media/File-library/News/2020/RSS_Ofqual_30042020_SFW_final.pdf

--

"Girls" and "boys" do not apply for IRC postdoctoral research funding awards - this is not remotely comparable to the Leaving Certificate!

As made clear by other commentators, females outperform males in most Leaving Cert subjects, and if present, gender bias is more likely to disadvantage boys.

Also, as someone who marks exam scripts, it's very often possible to determine gender from handwriting style, so the conventional Leaving Cert is not really gender-blind.

--

I taught and marked a STEM subject at third level. My impression was that the female students were more diligent and conscientious in continuous assessment assignments and class participation. They tended to perform as I would have broadly expected in end-of-year examinations. There was a distinct tendency from (some) male students to coast along and do the minimum necessary throughout the year. They would then turn in a surprisingly good exam performance that I could not have predicted from their classroom performance.

On the basis of my very limited and specific data point, I would guess that teacher assessment (rather than exams) will be more favourable to girls than boys!

---

Girls have been outperforming boys in exams for years, with the gap getting wider. Women account for over 70pc of secondary school teachers and over 90pc of primary teachers. Apparently none of these are gender or diversity issues because they benefit girls. But the vague, hypothetical possibility outlined in this article is a gender issue. And you still think feminism is about equality and a shared society? Fool you.

---
    Reply to @Freedom_Of_Speech: This. If boys had outperformed girls for years and the vast majority of teachers were male, it would be a given than the two were linked. We would have had gender quotas for teachers long ago, along with incentives for more women to get into teaching and newspaper articles year in, year out saying that the education system was failing for girls.

--

As another poster said, if girls were failing in exams after being overwhelmingly taught by men, we would be bombarded day after day with feminist drivel about how the girls were victims of a patriarchal society. But it's boys failing and feminists revel in boys' failure.

--

This is a joke everyone knows girls do better than boys in the leaving cert.
    So its more likely a well behaved girl who gets the same marks as an unruly boy will be ranked above him. This article completely ignores the reality of leaving cert performance. If any thing the reverse bias is much more of problem. As it stands its considered a problem in education at second level that boys are not doing well.

--
    My experience of gender bias in Irish secondary schools works the other way. Girls are given higher grades and more leniency because they (in general, as much as one can generalize by gender) tend to comply better with school rules, have better handwriting etc. than boys. And the data shows girls pulling further and further ahead of boys academically in secondary schools over the past 20-30 years. Boys are seen as more unruly, more undisciplined and are more likely to be marked down by their own teachers.

--

I recently emailed the minister for education about the risk of gender bias in Leaving Cert predicted grades. However my concern about bias risk was in the opposite direction to that expressed by Ms.O'Connor. Her point is accurate in a third level context. However her error is in failing to look at the actual research on gender bias in second level (the topic she is addressing) which is disappointing if not disturbing. The overwhelming balance of the relevant research internationally at second level suggests teachers evaluations are gender biased against boys! A more pertinent piece of research is that by Dr Jim Dueck, a former assistant deputy minister of education in Canada. In 2016 he examined results from the Canadian equivalent of the leaving cert with truly disturbing results. The Canadian system is very interesting as results combine 50% for the formal gender blind exam (like our normal leaving cert), with 50% allocated as predicted grade by the class teacher. In the exam portion he found that boys equalled or exceeded the results of girls in 5 out of the 6 subjects examined. However he found that teachers inflated girls scores to such an extent in their portion of the mark that the girls overall marks significantly exceeded that of boys. This he suggests is why girls now claim 60-66% of places in Canadian universities as well as the lions share of undergrad scholarships. He speculates that teachers conflate academic achievement with girls relative compliance in class.

We now have a great opportunity to research the direction of gender bias in Ireland. We can directly compare the gender breakdown of results with that available from previous years and hopefully then correct for any obvious bias in the statistics.

--

This woman has spent her career complaining about gender discrimination. She was on a HEA taskforce to investigate gender discrimination in third level education and advocated the preferential hiring of women to achieve equality of outcome. She cheered when Mary Mitchell O’Connor introduced professorships for women only in 2018. Yet A report from the gender equality task force itself admits that, in the past 10 years, 30% of applicants for professorships were women, and 28% of those promoted were women. Women made up 32% of applicants for associate professor and got 31% of those jobs. Discrimination has little or nothing to do with it.

--

Reply to @DavidWalsh: Recently teachers at our local mixed gender were asked to nominate the best student of the year in all 15 subject areas. In one of the years teachers nominated girls for the prize in all 15 subject areas. Yes you read correctly 100% of the prizes went to girls and across all subject areas including maths science woodwork etc. In the other years girls were awarded 80% plus of the academic prizes! So much for Irish teachers being biased against girls. What are events like this doing to the self esteem of our boys. Is it any wonder they are switching off and underperforming.

Mary Wilson had a Professor on the radio yesterday i think it was about 5 o'clock. This professor was banging on uninterrupted about how the LC assessment will negatively effect girls. I was waiting for Mary to at least point out that girls have been doing better than boys in nearly every subject for years. But no. The professor had a free run to peddle her feminist driven rubbish.

(UK)
    Another "women-worse-affected" article and even now a campaign:
    The Telegraph @Telegraph

Jul 1
    We launched a campaign, #EqualityCheck, calling on the Government to consider the disproportionate effect its Covid-19 policies are having on women.

Read more about it here
    https://t.co/NoMlpqIVky

(UK)

I find it funny in a way... we are always hearing about women not in positions of authority or power... but here they are submitting letters.. :D

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/leaving-calculated-grades-and-gender-bias-1.4295807
    Leaving calculated grades and gender bias
    Sat, Jul 4, 2020, 00:10

Sir, – Prof Pat O’Connor rightly points out that the process this year of awarding estimated Leaving Certificate grades may contain some built-in biases (“Leaving Cert calculated grades open to danger of gender bias”, Opinion & Analysis, July 1st).

She points out that female students may be at a disadvantage. This may well be the case (although I hope not).

However, the available evidence – such as it is – suggests that the bias may run the other way, and that male students may be at a disadvantage.

In a recent summary document outlining the possible biases associated with estimating A-level grades, the Royal Statistical Society in the UK has highlighted some evidence that boys do better in exams than in coursework and that this may affect predicted grades.

The society expressed similar concerns regarding students from ethnic-minority groups.

For this reason, it is important for the Department of Education to put in place robust, evidence-based statistical models to screen for such biases. – Yours, etc,

Dr LENNON

Ó NÁRAIGH,

School of Mathematics

and Statistics,

University College Dublin,

Belfield,

Dublin 4.

Viral video shows white woman calling cops on black man because he asked her to leash her dog
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/central-park-karen-amy-cooper-white-woman-calls-cops-black-man-fired-franklin-templeton/
    One could look at this in 3 ways: false accusation by a woman against a man; racism; sexism.
    A white woman in New York is facing a criminal charge for calling 911 on a black man after he asked her to put her dog on a lead in Central Park.

Amy Cooper, who was shown calling police in a viral video, is accused of filing a false report, punishable by up to one year in jail.

Ms Cooper lost her job and dog after the incident, and publicly apologised.

Video of the exchange shows Ms Cooper claiming that the black man, who was bird watching, threatened her.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53315008

Hardly grounds for having her lose her job, or even her dog... this world is getting ridiculous.

Hardly grounds for having her lose her job, or even her dog... this world is getting ridiculous.
    The loss of the dog was to do with how she handled him/her in the video. Losing her job was possibly OTT, but shows the “cancel” society we live in. I remember watching a sitcom cartoon, maybe Family Guy, where they have to go on diversity training. One guy says something fairly innocuous, the guy hosting the training shares it on Twitter, there’s a Twitter storm and within a few seconds he’s fired.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

One guy says something fairly innocuous, the guy hosting the training shares it on Twitter, there’s a Twitter storm and within a few seconds he’s fired.

That is the world we live in. I am always extremely careful in how I phrase things on the likes of facebook. I would not go near twitter.
    At this stage I would be reluctant to properly express my opinions on any public forum. Even on boards the veneer of anominity could easily be broken by a determined individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is the world we live in. I am always extremely careful in how I phrase things on the likes of facebook. I would not go near twitter.
    At this stage I would be reluctant to properly express my opinions on any public forum. Even on boards the veneer of anominity could easily be broken by a determined individual.

Generally as long as your not being a dick you ok, for the most part the people who are being exposed are being absolute tossers. However should that lead them to being cancelled? I don't think so and i think we will see laws coming in place to stop that behavior sooner rather than later.

The problem that is emerging though that there is a certain extremism when it comes to online echo chambers and people feel the need to gratify themselves by outing perceived enemies.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Generally as long as your not being a dick you ok, for the most part the people who are being exposed are being absolute tossers. However should that lead them to being cancelled? I don't think so and i think we will see laws coming in place to stop that behavior sooner rather than later.

The problem that is emerging though that there is a certain extremism when it comes to online echo chambers and people feel the need to gratify themselves by outing perceived enemies.

It depends which group you manage to offend. Feminists/SJW will track down your facebook or other social media, contact your friends & family, and even contact your employers. Those playing the race card will go further with confronting you personally.

It's not an issue for me since I have almost zero Internet presence, and I live, for the most part, in non-western countries. However, the way the internet has gone, while cancel culture and woke culture is receiving some backlash, mob justice is still very much a thing. So, I'd be telling friends to be very careful of what they put online... but then, tbh it's common sense.

Never put anything online that you wouldn't do in RL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

There seems to be an assumption that 'the truth will set you free' which certainly isn't the case.

If they dislike you enough they'll resort to any tactic available. Look at how Roger Scruton was treated, Trevor Phillips, Brett Weinstein, more recently Steven Pinker.

The culture is clear: they want people to self-censor for fear of backlash.

2u2me wrote: »
    There seems to be an assumption that 'the truth will set you free' which certainly isn't the case.

If they dislike you enough they'll resort to any tactic available. Look at how Roger Scruton was treated, Trevor Phillips, Brett Weinstein, more recently Steven Pinker.

The culture is clear: they want people to self-censor for fear of backlash.
    I have to admit those names didn't immediately ring bells for me. Here's an article on the third person:
    3 Years Ago, Bret Weinstein Endured The Precursor To Today’s Riots

The protests at Evergreen State College were a Cassandra-esque prophecy we naively ignored, believing these things wouldn't happen outside the insulated and hyper-leftist bubble of academia.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/01/3-years-ago-bret-weinstein-endured-the-precursor-to-todays-riots/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It depends which group you manage to offend. Feminists/SJW will track down your facebook or other social media, contact your friends & family, and even contact your employers. Those playing the race card will go further with confronting you personally.

It's not an issue for me since I have almost zero Internet presence, and I live, for the most part, in non-western countries. However, the way the internet has gone, while cancel culture and woke culture is receiving some backlash, mob justice is still very much a thing. So, I'd be telling friends to be very careful of what they put online... but then, tbh it's common sense.

Never put anything online that you wouldn't do in RL.

True enough i would be similar and not have much online presence but you still should exercise some caution if your going to get into political conversations.

The Doxxers will have their day of reckoning its just a matter of time.

An article in the Times about the whole Depp domestic violence case. Despite him (a male) taking a case against the Sun in relation to accusations that he is a domestic abuser the article highlights the one sided nature of this topic.

At the end:
    If you are affected by the issues in this article, you can contact the Women’s Aid 24-hour helpline on 1800-341900. Stop Domestic Violence in Ireland can be contacted at stopdomesticviolenceinireland@gmail.com

py2006 wrote: »
    An article in the Times about the whole Depp domestic violence case. Despite him (a male) taking a case against the Sun in relation to accusations that he is a domestic abuser the article highlights the one sided nature of this topic.

At the end:
    I just found this:
    Priscilla suffered more than a decade of harrowing abuse before she and Ainie set up Stop Domestic Violence in Ireland (SDVII), a voluntary organisation to help women and men who find themselves trapped in violent relationships, in 2014.[\quote]The pink colour on their website made me think it might just be for females.

This ended up in my Facebook feeds today:
    https://www.facebook.com/1588358131/posts/10219845258473730/
    Conveniently no mention of Belgium, for example, where death rates are high.
    man wrote:
    The world would be a better place if it was ran by women
    <puke emoji>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This ended up in my Facebook feeds today:
    https://www.facebook.com/1588358131/posts/10219845258473730/
    Conveniently no mention of Belgium, for example, where death rates are high.

<puke emoji>

I find that if you listen to anything feminist related through the voice of a ten year old girl it all makes a lot more sense....

Men are the ****tiest oppressor class in world history. More suicides, shorter lives, more work, more dangerous work, less custody, fewer purchasing decisions.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/hxmwpp/take_care_of_your_homies_ok/fz7ipkj?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

• Advertisement

Various findings demonstrating biases, attitudes, and treatments that favor women over men
    Finding Citation
    People prefer to spare the lives of females over the lives of males Awad, Bonnefon, Shariff, & Rahwan, 2019

People support more social action to correct female underrepresentation in careers than male underrepresentation Block, Croft, De Souza, & Schmader, 2019

Both male and female faculty preferred hiring a female over a male applicant for tenure-track assistant professorships in STEM Ceci & Williams, 2015

Offenders who victimize females receive longer sentences than those who victimize males; males who victimize females receive the longest sentences Curry, Lee, & Rodriguez, 2004

Police respond more negatively toward hypothetical male rape victims than hypothetical female rape victims Davies, Smith, & Rogers, 2009

Women receive more help than men Eagly & Crowley, 1986

Women are evaluated more favorably than men Eagly, Mladinic, & Otto, 1991

People are less willing to harm females than males FeldmanHall, Dalgleish, Evans, Navrady, Tedeschi, & Mobbs, 2016

In vehicular homicides, drivers who kill women are given longer sentences than those who kill men Glaeser & Sacerdote, 2003

People are particularly intolerant of aggression from a male and aggression directed toward a female Harris & Knight-Bohnhoff, 1996

People adjust essay performance evaluations upward when they learn the writer is female Jampol & Zayas, 2017

Women are punished less than men for the same crime Mazzella & Feingold, 1994

Controlling for numerous characteristics, men receive longer prison sentences than women Mustard, 2001

People have more empathy for female than male perpetrators and female than male victims Osman, 2011

Women are more easily seen as victims and men as perpetrators Reynolds, Howard, Sjåstad, Zhu, Okimoto, Baumeister, Aquino, & Kim, 2020

People attribute less guilt to a female-on-male sexual aggressor than a male-on-female sexual aggressor Russel, Oswald, & Kraus, 2011

People have less sympathy for male than female perpetrators and more sympathy for female than male victims Savage, Scarduzio, Lockwood Harris, Carlyle, & Sheff, 2017

Female sex offenders are given shorter sentences than male sex offenders Shields & Cochran, 2019

Women’s aggression is perceived as more acceptable than men’s aggression Stewart-Williams, 2002

People evaluate science on female-favoring sex differences more favorably than science on male-favoring sex differences Stewart-Williams, Chang, Wong, Blackburn, & Thomas, 2020

Psychologists agree more that it is possible that women evolved to be more verbally talented than men than that men evolved to be more mathematically talented than women von Hippel & Buss, 2017

People evaluate science that suggests that women score higher on IQ tests than men more favorably than science that suggests the opposite Winegard, Clark, Hasty, & Baumeister, 2018

People wish to censor a book that suggests that men evolved to be better leaders than women more than a book that suggests the opposite Winegard, Clark, Bunnel, & Farkas, 2019
    https://quillette.com/2020/07/27/the-myth-of-pervasive-misogyny/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Mary Wilson had a Professor on the radio yesterday i think it was about 5 o'clock. This professor was banging on uninterrupted about how the LC assessment will negatively effect girls. I was waiting for Mary to at least point out that girls have been doing better than boys in nearly every subject for years. But no. The professor had a free run to peddle her feminist driven rubbish.
    I would assume Mary is a rich white, middle class female also. So more like a privileged feminist brings her privileged feminist friend on her show.

It's all too common. There is a despicable segment on [iirc] BBC Newsnight about male victims of domestic abuse , the problems, stereotypes, prejudices and the lack of a tailored support system in place. And you could see the odious female 'host' bored out of her mind about it as it isn't to do with how men have everything built up around us. These so-called 'hosts' are often participating parties in a left-wing capacity. That is mostly what you see in these chat shows.
    (UK)
    This is simply to do with funding and job creation for middle-class women. They will try this with anything.

Feminism is more about feminists than it is about women/girls. It is invariably women from the top echelons representing themselves and while it may have liberal views but in an economic/class sense it is as money-centered as the white male patriarchy is. It simply pretends it is all about mortality and it clearly is not.

py2006 wrote: »
    I think this might be a satirical account.

Why are there so many angry dads?
    About to blow a gasket? Try gentle parenting. It’s worth the effort
    about 11 hours ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/why-are-there-so-many-angry-dads-1.4314705

COMMENTS
    Silly heading. There is enough truth in the fact of negative parenting without having to play the gender blame game as well. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought 'poor child' or 'leave the poor child alone' while the mother is scolding it or them. One of the classic examples is listening to the mother hushing the child trying to tell its story, when it is actually she who is making most of the noise. One occasion I remember sharing a smile with a woman and her children, only later having to hurry past the same woman who just around the corner had been screaming almost psychotically at the poor children. I've witnessed much less a father tearing into children, though I know it happens, too.
    If the writer had observed angry mum's the narrative would be "Men need to do more to alleviate the stress endured by women", when men are put under pressure there is no call to arms for them to receive support, only more criticism

• Advertisement
Advertisement