Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Masterplan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

This is an example that a stupid person is someone who should keep their mouth shut for fear of being considered stupid, or opening it and removing all doubt.

In his rant he says the money would build ten Luas lines and later eight, but has a scatter gun approach. He cites among others of Ballymun and Glasnevin as being served by his magical Luas lines, oblivious of the fact that Metro will serve them. Surface running would be fine for the far suburbs, but there is no surface left in Dublin City Centre.

He also states that the airport is served by an adequate bus service. The other evening, I got an Aircoach at St Vincents to go to the Airport, only for the Driver to tell me that the 36 min scheduled time would actually take an hour to an hour and a half as the traffic was appalling. He also said they are having to try different routes to see if they are quicker. It used to take 25 mins for the bus when it avoided the city centre.

The Metro from Tara will be about 20 mins, with a frequency in the order of 2 minutes, instead of travel time between 30 mins and 50 mins and frequency of 30 mins for the bus.

I think he is talking utter rot.

I agree with what you're saying about McDowell's comments but you can't really compare a bus from St. Vincents and a metro from Tara street to the Airport. A bus from across the bridge at Tara street would take less than 30 minutes at any time of the day. The fact that it took an hour to get from Vincent's to there is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

tobsey wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying about McDowell's comments but you can't really compare a bus from St. Vincents and a metro from Tara street to the Airport. A bus from across the bridge at Tara street would take less than 30 minutes at any time of the day. The fact that it took an hour to get from Vincent's to there is irrelevant.

Not really when you take into account the frequency difference. Bus every 30 minutes, train every 3 minutes. 70 passengers per bus, 300 per train.

Also, I have been held up on the bus coming out of the tunnel (going South) when a ferry was disgorging the cars and lorries which blocked the road because they were all going down East Wall Road, not allowing the buses (and other traffic) to pass. It took over 15 minutes to clear. The traffic is going to slow buses at any time of the day.

McDowell also considered a student travelling from Cherrywood to DIT in Gormanstown. Luas to Sandyford. Change at Sandyford on to Metro. Change at Charlemont on to Luas. Travel to Gormantown.

If he investigated it properly, he would have realised the student would have to walk for twenty minutes to DIT from the Luas. If he stayed on the Metro, he would have a choice of three stations, but would still face a twenty minute walk.

His blog was an uninformed rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Read this recently on another trend:

https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/chaos-of-the-metrolink-project.html

Mostly an ill informed rant against the metro but at the bottom he states that Dublin Port has get permission to infill more of the bay. I thought they were denied this; has it been reversed? Or is it more absolutely bullsh*&e in keeping with the rest of the article?
    I think the metrolink aspects of that awful rant should be discussed in another thread. But, the fact that he slips that bit in at the end about the port, which is really quite irrelevant to the metrolink question, shows him up for what he is - 'fat and happy' in his own comfortable Ranelagh bubble, a couple of miles from where he needs to get to, every day. He's fretting about any change in the fabric of the city that might affect him, even temporarily. And as a (good) lawyer he can put a convincing case that people will take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I believe with this redevelopment Tara mines have being told there business is no longer required especially at Alexander quay. Does Dublin port have to offer Tara an alternative option for exporting the ore or is Tara on there own?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

roadmaster wrote: »
    I believe with this redevelopment Tara mines have being told there business is no longer required especially at Alexander quay. Does Dublin port have to offer Tara an alternative option for exporting the ore or is Tara on there own?

Where did you see that? Tara is the largest zinc mine in Europe nad Ireland is in the top 10 of global exporters of that mineral, they'll hardly be left in the lurch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Heard it on the grape vine as they say. But if it is true you can see why Dublin port would want to do it as there is a lot more money in cruise ships than ore ships

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I saw that this was granted planning by ABP during the week. They've gotten their requested 15 year permission, so no idea on start date on this.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

CatInABox wrote: »
    I saw that this was granted planning by ABP during the week. They've gotten their requested 15 year permission, so no idea on start date on this.

See here.

Will they look at a few new passenger routes? I had heard they were looking at Belgium and Holland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will they look at a few new passenger routes? I had heard they were looking at Belgium and Holland.

That's for ferry companies, not the port company, to decide

Realistically both of those are awful passenger routes as landbridging via the UK, or even France if UK relations get worse, is much faster. Fine for scheduled freight routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I guess thats the end of any hope of the port moving up the coast and the land being used for high rise. It was never likely to happen anyway but always thought it made sense to move the port nearer Balbriggan where trucks would still have close motorway access for their onward journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Dublin Port Company has today launched a project to deliver the third and final Masterplan, 3FM;

The plan includes;

• New bridge over the Liffey east of the EastLink for internal port traffic only (but interestingly including provision for Luas extension to Poolbeg)
    • The construction of the largest container terminal in the country in front of ESB’s Poolbeg Power Station
    • Three new new public parks on the Poolbeg Peninsula and 5.5 km of cycle paths and pedestrian routes
    • New sailing, rowing and maritime campus adjacent to the existing Poolbeg Yacht Club
    • Site to accommodate utilities needed, firstly, for the City’s district heating scheme powered by the incinerator for the Pembroke at Dublin Four development (more commonly known as Irish Glass Bottle Site)

Proposed new bridge for port traffic and Luas, as well as potential new pedestrian/cyclist bridge across Liffey and proposed Dodder bridge);

Overall map and more images available here;

Consultation now live with a planning application to be lodged with APB in 2023. Virtual Exhibition for the 3FM Project is here;

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Somewhat amusing that they'd go through the trouble of adding three news bridges to that photo, but keep the roundabout that's going to be removed once the Exo building is finished in December/January.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

The bridge set-up looks desperate. We should be moving these activities outside of the city, and redeveloping the lands for housing etc. The dedicated trucking route squeezed in between the cycle lane and the marina also looks nuts. Awful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Does that truck bridge lift? It does not look like it does. Surely that bridge should be further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭gjim

I'd prefer if the new bridge were further east. Port vehicles shouldn't need to go near Ringsend or the Point to get across the river - these areas are residential/office/commercial. A high bridge continuing Breakwater Rd south over the river would more directly link the two parts of the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why can't they rebuild the existing bridge to better accommodate luas and pedestrian instead of this monstrosity?

A single bridge accommodating two general traffic lanes, two port traffic lanes, Luas and peds/cyclists would be a even bigger monstrosity. That's before you consider that building such a bridge at the current location would mean no bridge during the construction.

I'm sure the existing bridge could be reconfigured to accommodate peds/cyclists. It is about 11m wide, the driving lanes could be shifted to the eastern side and narrowed a bit, space for peds/cyclists could be provided on the western side. It could even overhang a bit on the western side to give more space if necessary. Provide a bit of screening between the traffic and peds/cyclists. Replace the railings on either side with something a bit more aesthetically pleasing and it could look decent. This would obviously be a DCC issue, nothing to do with DPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

Yes that Port plan is poor, it destroys 1 km of riverfront access for normal users. The port, if they want to dig in and expand their prime location, should go and spend their private money building their Bridge or Tunnel further east and high-over or under the linear line of the Liffey. Lisbon and Barcelona, (Copenhagen? ) have sorted their dirty dock activities and Dublin needs to learn from these places and not throw up that awful solution...

I'm pretty sure the original intended location for SPAR was further east. The current location seems to have been selected in order to accommodate Luas.

Yes, I believe that it's a DCC requirement, not something the DPC came up with on their own. I could be misremembering though, the last I read on it was an article on the pedestrian bridge that the NTA I think wanted to build down near the central bank, and DCC stopped them. I think anyway, I could be misremembering the locations and the players.

• Advertisement

The inclusion of Luas would be coming from TII not DCC. DCC wanted to build the pedestrian bridge near the CB. They actually had two plans, the first was rejected by ABP because its foundations could impact the future DART+ Tunnel intended to pass under. They then moved the bridge away to avoid that issue but that was rejected because ABP said it should link to the DART station! DCC has now shelved the plan.

DCC also want another bridge across the Liffey immediately west of the EastLink. This was to be in addition to the bridge at the CB and has nothing to do with the propsed SPAR bridge. The EastLink is obviously not suitable for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭gjim

Yeah - that whole stretch along the river from Poolbeg Yacht club to the Dodder should be an amenity not 4/6 segregated lanes of vehicular traffic - much of it heavy - which will what happen as a result of this plan.

It's unfortunate that the the East Link bridge is so narrow but in any case it should be reserved for light local traffic, cycling/walking and the odd bus, given that heavy port vehicles could use a new eastern port bridge.

If the East Link bridge was reserved for light local traffic and pedestrians/cyclists, then you could re-configure the south side of the bridge to connect directly to Ringsend directly via York Rd, Thorncastle St. etc. and reclaim the space currently used by toll booths, reservation, and lanes currently used to provide access to the bridge to heavy port traffic. This space is wide enough to provide a mix of amenity/park lands, walks/cycle routes and even some development - waterfront housing/offices.

Instead this plan will actually increase the lanes of traffic and make any further expansion of the southern waterfront docklands impossible.

A high iconic port bridge anywhere east of Poolbeg Boat/Yacht club would be far more sensible.

I like the idea of EastLink connecting directly to York Rd and Thorncastle St. but it's not going to fly. Locals would be completely opposed to it (and I wouldn't blame them). The problem with any river side amenity there is that it will always be very isolated and separated from everything else by at least two traffic lanes and Luas tracks. There is as much scope to create more of an amenity along North Wall Quay, which I think there were plans for.

The 3FM plan does have a new marina along the Liffey south bank immediately east of the EastLink, plus a new 5acre park from the existing Poolbeg Yacht & Boat Club going east. In creating the new port road along the south bank, they could provide a walkway along there, along with screening and at a lower level to the road to give a good level of separation from the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

Yes "A high iconic port bridge anywhere east of Poolbeg Boat/Yacht club would be far more sensible"

totally agree and we will need other rising-sea level defences to the east as well .

Unfortunately there is nothing iconic about the Dublin Port Company best it gets is when Tall Ships and some clean looking

(environmentally unfriendly😓) Cruise Liners come in.

Advertisement