Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish list for the new minister

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Publish an actual syllabus alongside the specifications for junior cert. The ambiguity is completely mad and creates huge anxiety for teachers and students, particularly our best students who want clarity where there is none. No issue at all keeping the papers unpredictable but there should be an end point on content

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Publish an actual syllabus alongside the specifications for junior cert. The ambiguity is completely mad and creates huge anxiety for teachers and students, particularly our best students who want clarity where there is none. No issue at all keeping the papers unpredictable but there should be an end point on content
    Do this for leaving cert aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

I feel rightly shafted as my subject only got a sample exam papers when students hit 3rd year. Now I realise all these fabulous interwoven learning outcomes (which they've been following for the last 2 years) were a waist of time if the student wants to achieve according to this type of exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think she sounds good but she has to work within a bureaucracy that traditionally underfunds education. That loves passing legislation for special needs but then fails to fund it.
    The real driver in the bull**** policies we have had to endure is the mandarins in the department. Thus don't expect wellness or the insane policy of keeping highly disruptive pupils in school at all costs to change. Don't expect the various PDST sucking calf's to stop suckling at the department teat. While simultaneously ****ting on teachers.
    However she might slow down the push to mediocrity that has prevailed.
    She might do something about pay inequality.
    I wish she was scared of the ASTI now she sits at the opposite side but she saw the grand old duke of York at close quarters - so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Anyone that is on instagram, she has her own page and it seems that these pages are personally "manned". Might be worth voicing some opinions?

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    Anyone that is on instagram, she has her own page and it seems that these pages are personally "manned". Might be worth voicing some opinions?

What the hell is Instagram?

I think the new Education Minister has been following this thread carefully and taken our suggestions on board.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/funding-approved-north-kerry-school/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Treppen wrote: »
    I think the new Education Minister has been following this thread carefully and taken our suggestions on board.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/funding-approved-north-kerry-school/

In this brief article it says the ( named) Minister has anounced the funding and then the minister has welcomed the announcement . Little has changed since the bizarrely Frank RTÉ documentary about Ruairi Quinn and the Dept of Ed .Their sole goal is to get elected and once in ,re-elected .The amount of TDs with ‘dodgy Da’s ‘ is quite staggering .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2011abc wrote: »
    In this brief article it says the ( named) Minister has anounced the funding and then the minister has welcomed the announcement . Little has changed since the bizarrely Frank RTÉ documentary about Ruairi Quinn and the Dept of Ed .Their sole goal is to get elected and once in ,re-elected .The amount of TDs with ‘dodgy Da’s ‘ is quite staggering .
    While this can be true, the real issue is the department itself, which has proven itself incapable of making even simple decisions. A good root and branch reform there would help enormously.

is_that_so wrote: »
    While this can be true, the real issue is the department itself, which has proven itself incapable of making even simple decisions. A good root and branch reform there would help enormously.

Doubt it, first thing the Department will do is sit her down and tell her what's what. Then ask her does she have any pet project shed like to take on to keep her out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I was coming at it from the angle of the parochial politics the Healy Raes are reknowned for and that we need a more experienced TD for the situation we will be facing into !

This was EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about
    She is in the big league now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

is_that_so wrote: »

What documentary on Quinn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

To resign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

km79 wrote: »
    To resign

We can draft the letter here :)

I never thought I'd say it but she is actually worse than Ruairi Quinn. She is a complete disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

We can draft the letter here :)

I never thought I'd say it but she is actually worse than Ruairi Quinn. She is a complete disgrace!

You take that back.......no one could be worse than Ruairi Quinn:pac:

amacca wrote: »
    You take that back.......no one could be worse than Ruairi Quinn:pac:

He didn't threaten our health and safety though! I said I was shocked at saying this but I'd prefer do a CBA than be in ICU on a ventilator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ruari is looking far better now. I can’t believe I’m saying that.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Ruari is looking far better now. I can’t believe I’m saying that.

It's mad isn't it! Would it be 'generous' to offer to bring back Joe? Jez I think Donald will be free in a few days - would he do any better. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel but anyone would be better than Norma who better enjoy her one term in office. Will she return to the classroom - will just have to ask her times before she answers.

It's mad isn't it! Would it be 'generous' to offer to bring back Joe? Jez I think Donald will be free in a few days - would he do any better. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel but anyone would be better than Norma who better enjoy her one term in office. Will she return to the classroom - will just have to ask her times before she answers.

Senator or Quango board position guaranteed!(If not straight to large pension)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hear Richard Bruton is at a loose end, doing push ups and making curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

A minister who would scrap the Teaching Council or else radically reform it so that it serves some sort of purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Don't forget Norma isn't really a minister for education ...shes just slotted in there to do what she's told.

Ruari did generational damage out of arrogance/hubris and ignorance under no pressure.

Ruairi(Labour) is now on the board of the most expensive fee paying ( ‘International’ - but not in the same way as the rest of our pupils apparently ...) school in the country having served his time working to educate the ordinary youngsters of the land .

Matt Cooper just had some guests discuss the schools reopening , one or two union reps , a management rep and most unusually in my opinion the owner of a private education ‘consultancy’ who shares a very rare surname with the principal of ‘Ruairi’s school’!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Funny I was only thinking that today, and wondering are the Healy-Raes sitting back watching the shambles and thinking, there's a few more votes we can target and get a third person elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

A minister that doesnt always believe 'reform' means better. A minister that would admit that the Junior Cycle reform is a mess. It needs scrapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

See you don't get far in politics by ripping up the playbook, you keep things as they are and slightly change. That's why they won't row back on the jc, and I actually can't see them changing the lc too drastically

Advertisement