Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh Network advice

Options
  • 07-04-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before but i searched the various threads and couldn't find the answer.

We have very poor wifi around the house and don't have the option of hard wiring any additional access points so looks like mesh is the way to go.

We are currently getting broadband from Sky using the SR102 router. It seems that there is no option to put this into bridge mode, we can only really disable the wireless.

I had looked at google wifi but it seems we may run into double NAT issues given that we cannot put the sky router into bridge mode.

Can anyone suggest any mesh option that may not run into the double NAT issue? Or should I look at replacing sky's router with one that can be put into bridge mode and then going with something like Google Wifi?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

A friend of mine had this same problem, one thing i would suggest you could use is to go the powerline extender option

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cheesemonster

I use a couple of Fritz!box devices to solve the problem. I have a Fritz!Box 7590 which is the "master" node and 2 Fritz!Box 3000 (repeaters) which are slaves of the master, forming a Mesh network.

The 7590 has an option to turn itself into a bridge, so the traffic passes through it to the Sky router.

In my setup, the 7590 and the 3000s are directly connected to the Sky router because it improves overall WiFi performance and reduces jitter, which can be a pain for video or VoIP calls.

I have disabled WiFi on the Sky router.

Advertisement